Zillow Reviews | Glassdoor

Zillow Reviews

Updated September 17, 2017

5.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance is incredible (in 65 reviews)

• Free food catered in at least once a week (in 52 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance is harder to achieve purely because the program is so involved, and needs to cover a huge range of hours (in 16 reviews)

• Zillow has been working hard to be more diverse and it is apparent in most of the department's, except for inside sales (in 10 reviews)

1. "Great Culture and Workplace"

Current Employee - Client Engagement Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Client Engagement Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Zillow has an amazing culture and set of values. The longer I work here the more I see new ways which they live up to those values. I both feel appreciated and listened to by my coworkers and superiors. And the pay and benefits are, also, pretty amazing.

Cons

I really haven't experienced any.

"Best Work/Life Balance"

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- There's something special about a company that truly believes and cares about their employees. The Learning & Development team along with the People team have truly shined throughout all of Zillow Group.
    - "Own it" is a core value and they really mean it.
    - Benefits are spectacular
    - There are so many teams a different kinds of people working here, you can really find a community and niche.

Cons

- "Own it" can also be a con ... Too much of this, and there isn't enough structure or leadership to actually get things done properly
    - "Move Fast, Think Big" sounds great in theory, but when moving *too* fast, you miss the details and process that can be crucial to great success. I'd love to move quickly without hacking things together or putting band-aids over things that could use more of an overhaul or thorough thought process.
    - Discretionary Time Off is wonderful, but really isn't the same across the company. Each manager is different and therefore unlimited DTO varies.

Advice to Management

Talking amongst one another and truly listening to your employees and taking action. Process and transparency are absolutely key in creating a successful project, initiative and product.

3. "Outstanding place to work"

I worked at Zillow as an intern

Pros

My favorite part of Zillow was the culture. It's remarkably transparent, with the CEO sending out daily updates of what he's working on via Slack and employees at all levels being very accessible. It's also a very flat and open structure; where else could you get to hang out with a VP on a raft at another VP's lakehouse? Most of all, it was just a fun place to work. We got to go whitewater rafting, had a barbeque on the beach, and took weekly breaks for beer and board games.

My team treated me like a full-time employee: I was given the freedom to make my own decisions and pursue the work I wanted. However, my manager and mentor were still readily available if I needed advice or help with anything.

The office environment is great: lots of free snacks, a candy wall, and some games like ping pong and shuffleboard.

Cons

The tech stack is definitely showing its age, which can make it hard to Move Fast and Think Big. However, there are a lot of internal efforts underway to make improvements in this area, and I'm excited to see how things improve over the coming years.

While my intern project was impactful, it felt below my ability level.

Intern housing: it was a beautiful space and great location, but the staff and policies were overly strict and made it hard to feel at home for the summer.

Sep 18, 2017 – CTO

Thank you for joining us this summer. We had an incredible group of interns this summer and I was amazed by the work everyone accomplished over a short period of time. In 10 weeks, it is sometimes... More

"Happiest company on earth"

Current Intern - Intern in Seattle, WA
    Current Intern - Intern in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow as an intern

Pros

- Disneyland for adults: EVERY employee I came across was so happy to be there.
    - Lively work environment with wonderful, caring people.
    - Meaningful project for an internship.
    - Accessible executives with strong core values and passion that echoes at each level of management.
    - Great work-life balance: during summer, everyone wants to efficiently get work done and go outside with friends and family. Most members of my team often left by 4pm to enjoy last few hours of sunshine.

Cons

Slightly corporate as the company grows quickly.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

Zillow Response

Sep 7, 2017 – CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

"Disneyland for adults"! That's the first time I've heard that one! I like it.

Thank you!

5. "Way Better Than I Thought It Would Be..."

Current Employee - Consultant in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Zillow (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment, culture is very good, lots of communication from senior executives, good benefits

Cons

Poor image with some within real estate industry

Advice to Management

Share more with industry regarding goals of company and aspirations

Sep 5, 2017 – Zillow Group Representative

Thank you for your feedback! It is great to hear that you are enjoying the OC Zillow Group office culture and I am happy you are a part of it! I would love to hear how you think we could continue to... More

"Most nurturing culture/employer for career growth"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've only been at Zillow for 6+ weeks but I don't have enough great things to say about my experience and the Zillow Group as an enterprise.

- I started with a 2 week onboarding agenda given to me day 1. This really helped with a quick ramp up and set a promising foundation.
    - My team is very supportive. They make me feel truly appreciated. They have been by my side as a cheerleader but are also first to jump in when I voice for help and advice.
    - My management, the VPs, and even our department Chief, have gone out of their way to ensure I have everything I need to be successful. They consistently remind me that they are here in any capacity needed to support my role and success.

It is really refreshing to see an employer trying so hard to foster their employees and empower them to grow beyond their means.

Reflecting on my past 6 weeks and overall impression as a new hire, joining Zillow has been a great decision for my career growth.

Cons

I can't really think of any to be honest. The benefits are great. The people are great.
     My manager is great. The work is fun and challenging.

Advice to Management

There's nothing I would change about my management. She has given me freedom to make a difference and voice any thoughts. I haven't been frowned on me for asking questions or in need for help and support. I feel supported in my career growth and goals.

Zillow Response

Aug 24, 2017 – CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Awesome. Thank you for the great review. I'm glad that your Zillow Group experience is off to such a great start. Welcome!

"Highly recommended; prepare to work hard"

Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work environment/culture is amazing. People are positive and have fun at work, while working hard. Management expects a lot out their teams. For those that are willing to work hard, have a great team mentality and attitude, and quickly adapt to change there is massive opportunity for financial earnings and career growth.

I could not be happier with my role here. I leave work every day and week feeling good about my opportunities and contributions to the greater whole. I highly recommend Zillow as a career path. Thank you!!

Cons

Communication from management can sometimes lack clarity. Some of this has to do with just how quick things move and evolve here. Continue to focus on delivering new updates, training, etc. in digestible formats.

Advice to Management

The keys to what makes this office tick is the people/environment/culture/vibe. Continue hiring the right positive and hungry people to this team!

Aug 28, 2017 – GM

Hello, this is Dave Frisone the General Manager of sales for the NY office. Thank you very much for your feedback about the role, and the positive, winning culture that you have clearly helped us... More

"Sales Executive"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm new. Accepting this job was the best decision I ever made. It's already been life-changing. Imagine what it feels like to get 15 pats on the back and "attaboys" for simply closing your first sale, and then to get a barrage of emails congratulating you, from people you don't even know yet. All from a group of people who are legitimatly stoked for your success. THAT is what it feels like to work on the Sales team here. Its hard work. But it's fulfilling, and the training is phenomenal.

If you are interested in working at Zillow, or on the fence about applying, read Spencer Rascoff's blog post on Linkedin about his quarterly meeting with investors who didn't care about financials, and only had questions about company culture. I think THAT is the ultimate secret at Zillow; amazing company culture.

What you read about it is 100% TRUE.

Cons

I have no cons to report.

Advice to Management

Move fast. Think Big. Keep it up!!

Zillow Response

Aug 17, 2017 – CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Woohoo! Thank you for the great review. I'm really happy that you're having a great experience here. See you around the Irvine office sometime.

9. "Strong support, company culture, and work life balance"

I worked at Zillow as an intern

Pros

Interning at Zillow was truly a great experience. My team is extremely supportive and sociable with each other. Work-life balance is also head and shoulders above the rest - I never felt guilted into staying longer than needed and felt at my maximum productiveness almost every day. Despite being just an intern, I was treated by the rest of the company as if I was a full member of the Zillow Group team, which is excellent company culture and only made me more enthused to produce excellent work. My managers were all very helpful and experienced with dealing with issues and motivation, which is usually a weak part of many young tech companies. If I could give culture and values at Zillow a 10/5 on glassdoor, I would.

Cons

I was not particularly enthused about the product itself, but naturally that is because I am not a user of Zillow considering my age.

The software engineering onboarding process was a bit undefined, which was a little overwhelming being immediately thrust into the tech.

Advice to Management

Change corporate housing for interns, and everything else is great.

"Great Place to Work!"

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredible culture, team atmosphere, and purpose. Benefits are great, work-life balance is fantastic; this is an all-around wonderful place to work.

Cons

Not much in the way of downside!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work--maintain our laid-back culture while also continuing to deliver on the mission.

Aug 17, 2017 – Zillow Group Representative

Thank you – we are glad you are here and having a great experience. You help make our culture great everyday. Please reach out anytime with ideas or feedback to dans@zillowgroup.com – Dan (Head of... More