Zillow Reviews | Glassdoor

Zillow Reviews

Updated July 16, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance is incredible (in 58 reviews)

• Free food catered in at least once a week (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance is harder to achieve purely because the program is so involved, and needs to cover a huge range of hours (in 16 reviews)

• the inside sales role at Zillow is tough work and they are very upfront about that (in 10 reviews)

"The best company I could have imagined working for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

THE CULTURE. The company takes care of their people. Its not just a thing that they say either, they really do. From fantastic benefits to constant availability of snacks and food, they really want their people to be happy (happy employees make good employees). They go above and beyond what they need to be doing to ensure that everyone has a good working environment. I've only ever met really great people in management, and they really are, not only open to, but encouraging of movement and growth. They want you to explore different roles in the company and keep learning. Work life balance is great, I don't feel like I have to take work home or stay later than I'm supposed to .

Cons

Although work life balance is great, the nature of the company (nationwide real estate) there is a necessity for some people in departments to have a schedule that forces them to be in the office either early in the morning, or later in the day, and on weekends. Not the end of the world, but its definitely not a conventional schedule. The pay is good, but its just enough, I'm not going to be building a huge savings account with it (although with annual reviews, your salary is part of that and can go up). The snacks don't rotate very much, so you do get tired of them (but, oh darn, free snacks, amirite). There also sometimes feels as though there aren't perfect lines of communication between, not only offices, but sometimes departments. Things change very fast and sometimes it's hard to know exactly what should be happening or if the people in charge know what's going on. It's a big company with a lot of offices, so its hard to feel totally connected to all of them (the collective holiday party in Seattle definitely helps though).

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, and don't forget about your people, even in the small roles (not that you do). ZG is a team sport!

Jun 29, 2017 – COO

Thank you for the review and I’m glad you are happy here and feel we have a great culture (I agree!). You’re right that some groups, such as consumer care or agent care, have schedules that may... More

"Zillow as a whole is great. My department, the worst..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Overall company culture is great
    -Good people
    -Free food everywhere
    -Work life balance is good with PTO and DTO
    -Commuter Reimbursements
    -Gym Reimbursements
    -Referral bonuses
    -Casual dress code
    -Ping pong and video game rooms
    -CEO and execs are great

Cons

The operations department is where I spent my time. It started off good for about 3 months, then managements true colors start to show, or lack there of. The managers operate in an old fashion corporate way, not the Zillow-way. You get watched like a hawk, micromanaged, no recognition, no bonuses, no team morale. It's a dead end department where your Zillow career goes to die and if you are reading this and considering joining their team, DON'T... Yes, there is an internal transfer program, but the managers are not too supportive when you want to leave their team. They talk bad about the team your interested in to try and keep you to stay. They dangle leadership advancement carrots in front of you to try and keep you as the robot you are. No fun is allowed in the department, it's widely known as one of the worst departments to be in. They have no morale or team bonding events. Zillow encourages managers to take their teams out to bond and do happy hours, but they still don't. Their is no career advancement opportunities within the department either. There are people on the team 5+ years that don't have even a Senior title. There is no team leads. Just 2-3 managers with a bunch of pawns. Their is a ton of hypocrisy within the department as well - the managers all live by the do as I say, not as I do mentality. You're expected to be robots, while the managers sit on social media, CNN, Youtube, Amazon all day. Myself and other employees saw it all the time. They need to just clean house and start over, or do some serious management training (which is provided by Zillow), but they obviously don't attend. They pay you poorly, just about the Seattle minimum wage, and hope you stay forever and are happy with your yearly 1.5% merit bonus and 50 stock options.

Advice to Management

Too much advice to even list.
    -Care about your people to start
    -Don't micromanage. It's the worst.
    -Don't be a hypocrite
    -Support your employees ambitions to grow outside the department
    -Do some real work, not shop online.
    -Attend some management training
    -Step down and let someone else lead....?

Jun 29, 2017 – VP, Client Experience

Thank you for your feedback. You don’t specify which Ops group you are a part of and we have many across the company. However, as a VP at ZG, your feedback is very important to me as it would be to... More

"Best Company I've Ever Worked For!!"

Current Employee - Associate Client Engagement Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Associate Client Engagement Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Possibly too many to name. GREAT work/life balance! Great job with team building, morale boosting, and company outings. Great medical/dental/vision options, gym reimbursement, game room with shuffleboard, ping pong, foosball, and gaming systems, tons of free food and drinks, super supportive management and co-workers. Recruiters and management were very clear on expectations and what the job would be like, so there were no surprises. Very transparent with employees, smart and friendly co-workers, amazing views, great location, paid orca card....there is more, but really too many to name every tiny thing.

Cons

None that I can think of honestly.

Advice to Management

Management seems to always be thinking of how we can improve things, and I think that's the best kind of management one can have. Very happy so far with direct management and higher ups.

Jun 16, 2017 – VP, Client Experience

Awesome! Thanks for this great feedback. Its really important you called out that we set the right expectations and you feel we are transparent. Those are critical to our success, so we've got to get... More

"Advice to women joining Seattle sales team"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Z Seattle office is such a fun place to work . Everyone has amazing character, positive personalities and really just want to help. The inside sales org offers opportunity to make a lot of money . The executives are people you are proud of and they inspire you to work harder. And the benefits, so many amazing benefits.

Cons

Zillow has been working hard to be more diverse and it is apparent in most of the department's, except for inside sales. It is still very much a boys club. Even though half of the sales staff are women, almost all the managers are men. All of the General Managers are also men. Being a women means you have to work twice as hard to get half the recognition. I have been at Zillow 2 years and I have not seen a single women promoted . The "boys" also treat the environment with a very "frat like" attitude. You must have very thick skin to survive the environment.

Advice to Management

Amy has been stating in all hands meeting that diversity is such a huge focus, it would be nice to see it put into action. Even though the insides sales group represents a small number of Zillow employees, it is the back bone of the company. Changes need to be made so everyone feels included and if they aren't, more and more talented women are going to leave to find a company that treats them equal

May 31, 2017 – Senior Director - Inside Sales, Seattle

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad you think Zillow Group is a fun place to work. Here at Zillow Group we value gender parity and are always working hard to improve equality in the workplace... More

5. "A New Hire's Perspective"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Denver, CO

I have been working at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Plain and simple - this company is amazing. Don't let the negative reviews scare you away from applying here. The negative reviews are from more tenured reps who I assume are getting too comfortable with their career and might be feeling pressure from management because of it and can't handle the pressure (this is a sales gig at the number one online Real Estate company with very large goals, what do you expect).

If you get offered the job, you are very fortunate, and you won't regret accepting it. As a new hire (sales exec), there hasn't been any surprises or anything that made me think the slightest bit "oh, wow this company really is on the decline" like how some reviews make it seem. The product truly is amazing and it sells as long as you listen and learn from those who consistently hit 200-250+% quota (many people do). Quotas are not unrealistic at all, and basically almost everyone hits at least 100% of their quota every month, unlike at any other sales gig I've had. And Zillow Group just crushed their quarterly earnings report (hence, why the company isn't on the decline).

To the tenured reps who say Zillow isn't what it used to be, maybe you're right and maybe it did have a few perks or commission structure changes or whatever... but all I can say is, as a new hire, I don't see how you can't still be happy with what you've got. I feel spoiled here. And I definitely feel like Zillow cares about me and my colleagues more than any other company I've ever worked for, from the CEO down. And I am motivated to perform well not only because I can make a ton of money here, but also because I don't ever want to jeopardize losing such an amazing job with the number one Real Estate company with so many awesome people around me.

Benefits are amazing as well... That's an understatement.

Cons

There isn't really a possibility to work from home... That would be a nice privilege.

I see negative reviews about the PAC side, but the few PAC employees I've met do not seem unhappy at all. Take your job seriously, stay away from negative people, and you'll be happy here.

Advice to Management

I don't feel micromanaged like how some other reviews may indicate (maybe i got lucky?). I guess my advice would be to continue not micromanaging. And if you are micromanaging (which I haven't heard or seen real life examples of yet) then you should probably stop or find more positive ways to encourage your employee(s) to do whatever it is you want them to do.

Other than that, management has been very transparent and very helpful. Can't complain at all.

Jun 12, 2017 – Vice President, Premier Agent Sales

Thank you for the glowing review. We strive to foster a great culture and empower our teams with inspiring opportunities. If you have more feedback, please feel free to email me at... More

6. "Shady fake unethical"

Former Employee - Pac in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Pac in Denver, CO

I worked at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a paycheck and there are a few nice people. If you are lazy love to just socialize and get rewarded for it. This is the place. The frown on hard work.

Cons

Managers, hr, and everyone else in between can't be trusted. They all are unethical liars. They fire people with no explication or proof. If they don't like you, they will treat you bad and get rid of you. They have a horrible turn over. They encourage and reward lazy unprofessional behavior. Pay sucks. You are not appreciated or valued as a person. It's basically a slaughter house.

Advice to Management

Get a back bone and have some respect and ethics. You all are corrupt and backwards

Jul 12, 2017 – VP, Client Experience

I'm sorry you feel you had a poor experience. I strongly object to your claims of unethical behavior. Zillow Group takes our core values, like Act With Integrity, very seriously and we work... More

"A+ in my book"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of transparency from leadership, they treat you like adults so you feel empowered in the work that you do. Great work life balance and really cool in office environment with great views of the city, quiet areas to work away from your desk, a lot of snacks and monthly catered lunches. The company focuses a lot on community and creating a sense of home is core. They care about feedback (both from employees and consumers) and take action on continuously improving based off of that.

Cons

Its hard to please everyone, but they do they best they can to address major issues - no complaints from me!

Advice to Management

I'm excited to see the amount of management/leadership course being rolled out, I think this will continue to improve the team.

Zillow Response

May 30, 2017 – CEO (Spencer Rascoff)

Thank you for the great feedback, I really appreciate it. I am glad that you are happy at Zillow. If you ever have any suggestions, please find me in the hallway or slack me or email me. - Spencer

8. "Associate Client Engagement Specialist"

Current Employee - Client Engagement Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Client Engagement Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time

Pros

1. Speedy follow up interviews.
    2. Detailed phone interview with benefits & the duties of the workflow.
    3. Freedom we have at Zillow as an employee.
    4. Free breakfast and snacks!
    5. The view of the office.
    6. My co-workers and zillow group as a whole.
    7. Work - Life balance.

Cons

A little more in-depth information as a new hire on giving more guidance on how to set up the 401K and stocks. It seemed like that was left in the blue, and a little harder to find out on my own.

Advice to Management

Thank you! We feel very much appreciated!

May 30, 2017 – VP, Client Experience

Hi, thanks for the feedback. Great to hear our culture makes you feel welcome and productive! As you settle in, please reach out to me with suggestions or ideas to keep us moving in the right... More

"AWESOME COMPANY!"

Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Executive in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Sales Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, benefits and work/life balance

Cons

Nothing to report! Best company I've ever worked for.

May 15, 2017 – Sr. Director, Enterprise Sales

Thank you for the glowing review on Glassdoor! Employee feedback is a core priority of the leadership team at Zillow Group and to be recognized as 'the best company you've ever worked for' is great... More

"ZG NYC"

Current Employee - Business Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Zillow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I never imagined when I began working for the ZG Irvine office in 2015 I would get the incredible opportunity to transfer to the NYC office. I get to work for the BEST company and be closer to my family on the east coast. This has been life changing for me.

In the office I truly enjoy everyones positivity and excitement daily. Most of our sales team has been with the company less than a year and everyone steps up to help others, runs huddles, and share their knowledge without hesitation. After coming from a bigger office its amazing to see what we have accomplished in less than a year.

Ive been encouraged to use my pto and go on vacation at ZG. I even get quota relief which makes it a lot less stressful prior to and after I get back.

Having my commute paid for is a huge plus!

Cons

I can't think of any. I actually feel pretty spoiled :)

May 9, 2017 – GM

Hi, this is Dave Frisone, the GM for Premier Agent Sales in NY. Thank you for you positive feedback and for your obvious enthusiasm for the culture that we all enjoy building together! We could not... More