Zillow "great benefits" Reviews | Glassdoor

Zillow Employee Reviews about "great benefits"

Updated Nov 8, 2019

3.9
Zillow CEO Rich Barton
Rich Barton
Pros
  • "Great work/life balance (interns didn't have tons of pressure put on them)(in 102 reviews)

• "You can't deny that Zillow has pretty great benefits(in 58 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "great benefits"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stands by core values, opportunity for growth, focused attention on investing in and supporting employees, great culture, great benefits.

Cons

Do not have any at present.

Zillow2019-11-08
  2. "Smart and caring leadership"

Former Employee - Senior Client Engagement Specialist

I worked at Zillow full-time

Pros

Great benefits and culture.

Cons

Growing really fast and changing rapidly.

Zillow2019-07-22

"Turnover rate for sales is around 70% (no, seriously)"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Zillow full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free lunch on Fridays, great benefits, gym reimbursement, free snacks.

Cons

I stayed around 6 months. At first, everything was great; they do the old smoke and mirrors trick- free lunch! gym reimbursement! tons of $$ if you hit quota! But the reality is: everyone is extremely stressed about hitting quota and it creates a negative office environment. The well is very poisoned here. I felt like after a month of training and traveling to Seattle, the smoke screen was gone and I realized I had... made a mistake accepting an offer. You basically have to hit quota 3 times or you're gone. The quota is pretty high at $8,000 and you're selling to real estate agents that either hate Zillow and have burned by the product before or don't have the money to buy it. A lot of people I know are "on plan" meaning they have to hit 3 months in a row or they're gone, and only 2 out of the 7 people I trained with are still employed here (by choice or not). I personally left because the stress and lack of job security wasn't worth it. None of the managers came and said goodbye to me when I put in my two weeks (which, they tell you to wrap it up within 10-15 min of giving notice, but at least they pay you for the two weeks), which is whatever, but just contributes to the "you are extremely replaceable and ultimately don't matter here" sales culture. I could probably go on, but if you're on the fence about applying...don't. It's monotonous, some managers can be micromanagers, and it just really sucked to work here. Although I took a pay cut at my new job, I feel so much happier and less stressed.

Advice to Management

Ditch the churn and burn method. Restructure the sales plan (like the 3 strikes you're out method) so you can create happier employees and therefore a better work environment.

Zillow2019-07-02

"Should have been better..."

Former Contractor - Human Resources Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow for less than a year

Pros

Good work life balance. Snacks. Great benefits if you’re a FTE.

Cons

One of their main core values is to be transparent, “turn on the lights”, but my experience was quite the opposite. I was left in the dark, pitch black. Zero transparency. Being on contract you of course know there is a chance that it could end, but normally they give you notice a good time in advance... not three days. Now, not only did that occur, which honestly isn’t the issue at all, but the reasoning that was... told to me was because of streamlining, which ok I totally understand.... until I literally saw my job posted on indeed the very next day. HRBP is the department employees go to for concerns, questions, performance growth, opportunities etc, and instead of having a learning conversation with me, they just made up some excuse and couldn’t even give me any constructive feedback. Now let me back track, I was in this role for a month and a half, had very little training, as well as very little guidance and/or support. I had projects and tasks thrown at me constantly with hardly, if any guidance. I would ask questions and from certain individuals I would receive attitude, eye rolls and honestly at times, belittling. Thankfully there were a couple people who were awesome and helped me along the way, but going into work and feeling like you’re constantly walking on egg shells is a terrible feeling, on top of having no support from management. I worked extremely hard to get a role at Zillow, and I am pretty disappointed with my experience and how it turnt out. Below are some core values that I truly believe some of the team members in that department need to work on. Do the Right Thing. Include and Empower. Turn On the Lights. ZG is a Team Sport. I know so many people who work for Zillow and have nothing but great things to say so it isn’t a terrible company overall. Like all tech companies, they’re great unless you get on a not so great team...

Advice to Management

Be supportive to all team members and train EFFICIENTLY and EFFECTIVELY! Offer guidance, positivity and growth! Live up and own the core values! Literally, “Own It” is a core value!

Zillow2019-06-19

"This is THE sweat shop of all sales jobs. Prepare to question your life choices"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, great CEO great workspace with more snacks and array of beverages than you could ever imagine. View from any floor is amazing.

Cons

It's really disappointing because i have a lot of friends that aren't in sales that work for Zillow and they can't stop talking about how much they love it. Zillows core values and direction and culture is absolutely amazing UNLESS you are on the sales floor. It is a shark eat shark environment where you can't trust anybody. Everyone is always trying to figure out ways to snake your deals, which results in a lot... of bad blood and a pretty contentious relations with most of your coworkers. So if you like being a shady sales person in a turn-and-burn environment, this is a great job for you Training is the biggest joke imaginable and barely applies to what you are actually selling. All the managers focus on are daily activity metrics since they are under the impression the more dials you make the more business you will close, which isn't true. But if you don't hit your INSANE dial/activity metrics every day, then you will get a firm talking to. We are talking on average about 100 calls/day and another 150 talk minutes on top of it. You don't have time to strategically prospect and build relationships. I barely feel like i have time to take lunch. On top of that, it takes 70% of the team until the last day of the month to hit quota, so the stress literally never subsides. I stress like MAD when on vacation because you literally need every day possible to hit your goals. This is absolutely not how a job should be. I never felt able to breathe and cruise for just a day or two. The best part is that at any point in time you literally only have 3 month of job security. You are put on a PIP if you miss two month in a row (even by a minuscule amount) at that point you MUST hit 2 consecutive months to not get fired. I have seen so many talented people who just had a few bad months get let go. I have always wondered why Zillow Sales doesn't focus on developing existing talent. They much prefer to do hiring classes of 30 people every couple months and just see who can actually last. The turnover is absolutely mind blowing and i'd say the average tenure of an SE is 8-12 months. The product is hard to sell because so many agents have been burned by Zillow. What you do when you invest in Premier Agent is called GAMBLING. I didn't feel comfortable selling agents on a product that probably isn't going to make them money. It felt like i was stealing from good people.

Advice to Management

Fix the issue of people snaking other people deals and make it a fair playing field. "Salesforce Rules" are INSANE. The fact that if you miss a follow up on someone you have been working with for months and if they accidentally falls out of your name that another SE who literally did nothing for the sale gets to close it and get 100% credit. Also, stop preaching about how "transparent" you are because it's very... evident that you are not. Whether it be with how you send out inbounds, or how you feed deals to your favorites on the team, or lying about how much agents LOVE the new PA and they are lucky that we are calling them with the opportunity. Let's be real,, it's WAY overpriced, SE's just stress sell to get a credit card and will put agents in HORRIBLE positions. How is that fair to our clients? Stop playing favorites, because it's obvious and we all see it. Start spending some time working 1 on 1 with reps to build their skills and closing abilities instead of spending your time focusing on why we aren't pacing to hit our daily activity metric.

Zillow2019-03-06

"Great benefits and company perks but soul sucking-work."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

You can't deny that Zillow has pretty great benefits. The best health and vision insurance I've had to date. An office with amazing views of the Puget Sound and plentiful rotating snacks.

Cons

I can't speak for other roles or departments in the company, but if you enjoy being micromanaged and don't mind making 100+ dials a day to people who are sick of being called by Zillow then you can make some decent money. Although you'll most likely end up getting a percentage taken out of your future commission check when clients don't fulfill their contract and cancel because they're unhappy with the product.

Zillow2019-03-07
  7. "Amazing Culture"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great Benefits -Awesome Culture -Lots of yearly parties and free food -Feel valued as an employee

Cons

-It's a grind and emotionally taxing, you have to have thick skin and not get in your head.

Advice to Management

The questions on the recruiting call didn't feel personal and the recruiter was clearly reading a script. For first impression I think this should be more polished and sincere.

Zillow2019-02-22

"Bilingual Account Manager"

Former Employee - Bilingual Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, team work is fundamental, and fast moving company where there is room for growth.

Cons

Sometimes your ideas can be caught up in bureaucracy, or red tape ... and by the time someone takes a serious look the program has already been changed.

Zillow2018-08-15
  9. "Great Company"

I have been working at Zillow full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great benefits -Amazing culture -Great People

Cons

-All white company with a few black people & minority’s -Carrier development impossible

Zillow2018-05-22

"Could be so much better"

Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Zillow full-time

Pros

Great benefits, great coworkers and camaraderie amongst teams. The CEO is truly amazing.

Cons

Very disappointing - The day-to-day does NOT match the job description. They will try to sell you on the Enterprise team being a "senior level" position but they treat you like a very junior, entry level rep. Minus the training and support. I definitely did not trust my manager or director, I know they wouldn't have my back if it came down to it. Very greedy and off-putting. They only like you when you product... numbers. The manager is also very junior and can't provide much guidance and actual strategy around roadblocks. If you have more than 4+ years of sales experience, don't expect to gain much development here. You're cold calling all day. Leadership trying to run a senior sales team like a junior inside sales team. Heavy micromanagement created a hostile environment and overall negative morale amongst the team. I saw some really talented people be let go because of "attitude" which really means they challenged their leadership too much on their status quo process. When looking at the leadership on this particular team, they all came from the premier agent inside sales team at some point so they are naturally trying to run an enterprise team the exact same way which is a true shame. Leadership is not open to suggestions and gets highly defensive. I personally witnessed a meeting where the director asked the room to name a few reasons why the team was severely underperforming and listened to three reps basically get their heads ripped off, replying that each reason was "an excuse." There is very minimal ongoing training. Leadership will come up with new objectives for the reps to perform but give very little guidance - do not mistake this for autonomy because there is definitely none of that here. You are held to daily metrics and expected to work way more than 40+ hours a week - in fact, you are praised for coming in hours early and staying hours late. It is expected.

Advice to Management

I don't think there is much point to providing advice as they don't truly welcome it anyways. I'd start by building more trust and communication with the team. I'd also suggest looking at other thriving teams within the company and assess their leadership style vs team performance and maybe try implementing the same principles. I'd also highly recommend sending the manager and director to leadership workshops to... learn how to motivate a team (aside from fear and literally assigning "marching orders"), how to give constructive feedback and how to work with people who have differing opinions.

Zillow2018-03-01