Zillow Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Nov 15, 2021

Found 43 of over 1,538 reviews

3.9
Zillow CEO Rich Barton
Rich Barton
Talk anonymously with Real Estate professionals

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Benefits are great and helpful(in 220 reviews)
  • "Great Culture and Team Environment(in 143 reviews)
  • "Working for Zillow is great and the people are kind.(in 142 reviews)
  • "The company will consider input from all levels and fosters a great work life balance.(in 94 reviews)
  • "+ Great pay & compensation for internship(in 50 reviews)
Cons
  • "Poor Management specifically forecasting future of the business/projects/new ventures.(in 52 reviews)
  • "If you have a good manager who doesn’t micro manager you will be great.(in 36 reviews)
  • "Massive layoff happening currently making current employees nervous for continued employment.(in 21 reviews)
  • "Upper management seems adamant about providing the best work environment for their employees and has put forth much time and energy into this matter.(in 18 reviews)
  • "average salary, stock options are useless as the stocks are not doing well(in 13 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Zillow and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0

Great Job, Great Company

Nov 8, 2021 - Acquisition Analyst in Scottsdale, AZ
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great Work culture, great employees and an awesome job.

Cons

Upper management would not listen to the pricing team.

5 people found this review helpful
  2. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Zillow stopped living by their core values in 2021

Nov 7, 2021 - Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

Employee development is encouraged, flexible work schedule

Cons

Mistakes were made in the ZO business, starting with upper management. The result was layoffs of a lot of people who were led to believe they were part of a growth strategy.

13 people found this review helpful
  3. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

It's no surprise that they ruined their reputation. This was always a toxic workplace.

Nov 15, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Decent pay, good benefits, and if you can buy into the illusion that you work someplace where your upper management cares, then sure, you can enjoy it here until your entire department is demolished. I'm extremely lucky that didn't happen to me.

Cons

All of them. Zillow claims to pride itself on being a modern, caring, woke workplace where all are welcome. And while they do make a nice little show of that, in reality, this is a place where any criticism is met with a termination warning and a plan by upper management to work you out of the company one way or another, even if they have to start firing your direct reports out from under you and blocking you from meeting with the head of HR and gaslighting you by claiming that you were the problem all along. While there, I was ordered to tell my direct reports never to share their bonus totals with one another, nor to share their raises or salaries after promotion, because it would be seen as "unprofessional." I was outvoted on many hiring decisions because a person seemed like they would not be a "culture fit" because they were a woman whose bra strap showed during her interview or because she had dyed hair. Or that we couldn't hire a candidate of color because English wasn't their "first language" and that they might not know enough real estate terms, while we hired white people who said "Relator" instead of them. I had peers confide in me that they were told that they could never be as successful as male peers or male managers if they had dyed hair or showed any skin at all, even while many of the female upper managers did precisely that every day, much to their career's benefit. Often, managers would make up new rules for calling in sick because they were mad that one of their employees had done so, including asking about the details about their illnesses and asking when, as in when during that same day, they expected they would get over their illness and would be able to make it in to the office. And just in case you think they were mad because they thought people were calling in for hangovers, drinking was encouraged while on the job at times, as there were bar carts all over the HQ office and alcohol was provided at many times at other offices, although I will say that this was a little more under control as the company grew and they realized it would be a bad look if anything became public because of that. Nothing, and I cannot stress this enough, NOTHING, would ever lead me to recommend someone working here again.

15 people found this review helpful
  4. 4.0
    Former Employee

Sales position

Oct 16, 2021 - Sales Advisor in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits Good work life balance

Cons

Very poor upper management Move too quickly, creating constant messes

Be the first to find this review helpful
  5. 5.0

Great company

Sep 27, 2021 - Inside Sales Account Manager in Centennial, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Room for growth and a great work environment

Cons

Commission structure kept changing. Upper management

2 people found this review helpful
  6. 1.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Run Away!!!

Nov 2, 2021 - Renovation Scope Evaluator
    Business Outlook

Pros

It was a wonderful job and then upper management in Seattle decided to let everybody go and laid everyone off before the holiday season.

Cons

Run away the leadership with lie to you and then let you go before the holiday season.

10 people found this review helpful
  7. 1.0

Don’t believe the hype

Jan 2, 2021 - Pricing Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

Phone , fitness membership and transportation fees to work are reimbursed monthly

Cons

Salaries are not competitive. The company is cheap and offers no end of year bonuses, unlike every other company in this industry. HR is a joke and are useless. You're belittled by upper management and not given assistance to develop. You usually aren't able to use your time off when it matters the most, ex: holidays.

8 people found this review helpful

CPO

I am disappointed that you feel we are not able to support you. We adjust pay annually and provide all employees stock compensation that vests quarterly. We greatly value our employee feedback - and that includes both the good and the bad. We collect it from a variety of channels - including the reviews here on Glassdoor - and we've recently put in place anonymous resources to report any workplace concerns. If you would like to discuss your experience further, please reach out to me at dans@zillowgroup.com.

8. 5.0
    Former Contractor, more than 1 year

The Workplace Culture is Above and Beyond

Jan 12, 2021 - Anonymous Contractor in Irvine, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

They have a great work-life balance. Lunches are provided weekly. Full-time employees (not contractors) get 100% covered healthcare and free mental health services. Transparency between the employees and upper management is a core value. Inclusion is very important and they have a very high diversity score.

Cons

Contractors are often not eligible to participate in team-building exercises or other workplace events (i.e. joining Affinity Groups).

Be the first to find this review helpful

Zillow

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about being a contract worker at Zillow. We still strive to provide a positive experience for everyone and I'm glad that the culture and our core values seem to have made a lasting impression on you. Perhaps our paths will cross again soon! -VP, Recruiting

9. 2.0

Run away from Rentals

Apr 3, 2021 - Sales Representative in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Health benefits & flexible time off policy

Cons

Toxic culture, dishonest leadership, clicky teams, gender bias and no willingness to address upper management personnel who are a big part of the problem.

6 people found this review helpful

Zillow

Hi there, this is Jami Thomas, VP of Sales, Rentals at Zillow. I appreciate your candor here, and while I don't agree with all of your comments, I do want you to know that we do take your mention of a toxic culture very seriously. We work hard to make Zillow a great place to work, an environment where good ideas can come from anyone and where stability and career development is available to all. If you're willing, I'd like to take this conversation offline with you to get some more details on your experience and discuss potential improvements to our team. Please reach out to me at jamith@zillowgroup.com if you'd like to connect. Jami Thomas, VP of Sales, Rentals, Zillow

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

One of the best places to work in Seattle

Sep 3, 2020 - Senior Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Health, Dental, and Eye Care plans are top of the line -Benefits and perks in general at Zillow lead many larger tech companies like Amazon and Microsoft (more so before COVID-19 and WFH) -Company recognition of the importance of a sensible work-life balance -Sense of community within the company, even while working remotely -Indefinite work-from-home option -Company-wide efforts to improve WFH flexibility outside of typical 9-5 hours, especially for parents -The majority of the individuals that you work with are great people, inside and out of work. There is certainly a Zillow-factor for the type of people that are hired here. -Transparency from senior leadership -Diversity & Inclusion is highly valued and practiced

Cons

-Business roles do not receive the same degree of competitiveness as tech roles when it comes to compensation -As the company grows, most All Company meetings are beginning to feel more and more like stakeholder presentations compared to the exciting and inclusive update meetings held in the prior years -Upper management is largely dialing down on employee events like Holiday/Summer parties and ZG conferences to cut down on expenses, leaving company-wide morale noticeably lower than previous years -The amount of diversity seen in the workforce at Zillow does not match the amount of diversity seen in executive leadership

2 people found this review helpful

Zillow

Allowing employees the flexibility to work from home indefinitely also means that opens us to being not just a great place to work in Seattle, but a great place for great talent anywhere. That's very exciting and lets us really expand our searches to ensure we're bringing in great and diverse talent. Thank you for what you shared here. You have some really great points that I will share with Crystal Tomczyk, our VP of Equity & Belonging. -VP, Recruiting

Viewing 1 - 10 of 43 Reviews