KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt
Logo
Best Places to Work 2022

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Zillow Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Nov 19, 2021

Found 192 of over 1,379 reviews

4.0
Zillow CEO Rich Barton
Rich Barton
Pros
  • "Flex bike work/life balance with work from home(in 168 reviews)

• "They also provide great benefits to all their employees(in 98 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work life balance unequal to pay due to growth in market(in 27 reviews)

• "Mistakes were made in the ZO business, starting with upper management(in 23 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    Talk anonymously with Real Estate professionals

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Zillow and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Nice Company

Nov 15, 2021 - Software Test Lead in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nice benefits and work life balance

Cons

Management and the decisions they make for employees

2. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Good People, Weak at Leadership (c-suite, VPs, senior Directors)

Nov 12, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

+ Excellent Work/Life balance + Benefits + Good and humbling talents in the company

Cons

- Zero accountability from Leadership level (c-suite, VPs) when project such as Zillow Offer failed. 2000 employees took the blame instead. while leadership still gets bonus and enjoy their perks and pretend business as usual. - c-suite can't think on their own, must rely on data or AI to make decision for them. and when data fails, they blame data; but never themselves. not sure why they are even needed in the company. - Awful cookie cutter strategy to make every engineer and every QA to follow the same style of leveling. as if every project will apply the same practice to execute. Lazy approach. won't allow thinking outside the box. everything must get buy-ins from other ZG groups and must benefit every dept before decisions are allow to move forward. no wonder competitors have advantage over ZG's old thinking.

17 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0

Excellent Company Culture - Average C-Suite Leadership

Nov 11, 2021 - Industry Relations Consultant in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work life balance is fantastic, pay is average for tech company but much higher than other fields. Company has fully embraced remote work and is extremely flexible. Leadership is supportive of personal and career growth.

Cons

C suite leadership is poor and often fails to execute. Profitable advertising division carries other bloated and inept departments. Culture is *extremely* woke and penalizes those not in protected classes. Pay is lower than other tech companies.

7 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0

No Surprises

Oct 15, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Culture of trust, independence, and kindness - Everyone is focused on doing good work; no political games - Self-directed work (in terms of both features and scheduling) - Amazing work life balance - Amazing pay and benefits - Fully remote - Small teams - No questions asked when you decide to pay down tech debt instead of building new functionality - The business is currently doing very well

Cons

- Corporate onboarding is thorough and complete, but onboarding resources for your particular team can vary greatly. - Because Zillow is such a desirable place to work, recruiters are completely overwhelmed. It isn't really currently possible to interview for Zillow and other companies in parallel - you have to commit to Zillow alone and expect the process to take months.

3 people found this review helpful
    5. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Questionable leadership and VERY questionable decision making

Nov 19, 2021 - Program Manager in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

work life balance is pretty great not gonna lie....its pretty easy to coast by months without doing anything actually. Pay used to be competitive but not so much anymore. If I leave (which I am planning to), I'll miss the WLB the most.

Cons

leadership is awful in all orgs from the conversations I've had, nepotism is real and everywhere, managers are mangers from tenure, NOTHING to do with actual leadership skills. My current manager I've had the manage-up the whole time, she is only a manager from tenure - which makes sense because her manager is also a manager from tenure, its a systemic issue at Zillow and it's not going to change anytime soon.

9 people found this review helpful
    6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good work life balance

Nov 17, 2021 - Senior Technical Program Manager in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good work life balance and great culture

Cons

Lack of structure and respect for PMs

7. 5.0

Meets Great Place to Work expectations

Aug 12, 2021 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. Competitive pay, excellent benefits (no cap for SDEs on PTO, health coverage, signing bonus + annual "merit" increase raise) 2. Great culture. I would say people in engineering (or around it) are generally nice and/or helpful and motivated. You know you're working with smart people but you'll still almost always able to find someone who's willing to help, or something to get involved in to network with or meet nice people with common interests. Stuff like getting involved in affinity networks feels encouraged, although sometimes there's a struggle to balance time and work like anything. 3. Excellent work/life balance. This depends on your team and manager, but executive leadership encourages it and in all my time at the company, this has generally been met. I feel able to take advantage of this and sign off when I need to. Generally my coworkers will respect that. 4. Almost every time a major event occurs, ZG will address it from leadership. Whether it's the "Racism has no home here" callouts and actions in response to BLM protests, natural disasters occurring in the states, or handling the pandemic with an early full-time WFH response, it feels good to work at a company where leadership seems to push for true transparency, instead of sweeping major political issues under the rug or treating employees like disposable workers. Leadership is aware and acknowledges the importance of personal lives outside of work which was HUGE during the pandemic. I'm not a parent, but there was a struggle across the company with the work/life balance - which we know because they took polls and showed results at meetings. It felt acknowledged and that even when the company isn't solving something, they're actively working on things where employees are taken care of. It took a long time to finalize when we'd be back in the office and what that meant, but the decision to move full-time remote for most workers felt like it took employee feedback into account. They care about retention and consistently get culture awards and I think those things are true.

Cons

Depending on what team you're on (like any company), you might get a bad manager and/or team that doesn't fit you. This heavily impacts how your team does things because although there's a bigger push to standardize things, there's a lot of fragmentation on how to do things - whether it's process or implementation. That comes with pros and cons, especially as the company continues to grow. I've had both bad and good experiences with teams, although I felt mostly supported when it came to moving teams. Some legacy work, though again it depends on your team. Some teams are working on all cool, brand new stuff. Some are stuck in legacy work that's no fun. More work still needs to be done across equity and diversity at the company. It feels like the company is a few steps along in this area - gathering data, discussing importance and establishing it in core values for culture, having paid positions in leadership to address equity and belonging, etc. But there's still so much work to be done across gender, race, LGBTQ+ and other underrepresented groups. It's talked about and "valued" but despite the awards we've gotten for diversity, it feels like a low bar. Like we've hired some people (more than the tiny average at other companies), but how much has been done beyond that and talking? For instance, how much is career leveling and guides catered towards a certain demographic? I've been through a lot of reorgs. Not that people are getting fired, but so much is changing in the company over the years. I'm curious to see how full-time remote and all this hiring impacts our overall culture.

14 people found this review helpful

Zillow Response

Zillow

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am replying here so that you know I have read it, and your opinion has been heard. Please reach out to me any time if you would like to dive into any of these topics further. David Beitel, CTO

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Fully remote has its perks, but can be lonely

Oct 24, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The work-life balance is really great. My team is great and I enjoy working here for the most part.

Cons

I started at Zillow once they had gone fully remote and I’ve heard that it’s been hard on the culture. Fully remote work makes it tough to connect with coworkers on a personal level and nothing is really ever impromptu (i.e. schedule a zoom meeting).

1 person found this review helpful
    9. 5.0

The best of all worlds

Sep 9, 2021 - Senior Applied Scientist in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Zillow to me is the perfect combination of the advantages of working for a tech company, including top notch technology, smart people, challenging problems, agile culture, best in class benefits, immense impact, and great pay without the disadvantages of the over hyped FAANG. At Zillow work life balance is amazing, people are actually upbeat and happy, time off is encouraged, working long hours is discouraged, and best of all, we're now Cloud HQ, which means I can work remotely from wherever I want in the US instead of spending hours in crazy commutes.

Cons

The vision benefit could be better. The network is small and the annual contact lens benefit could be better.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee

Opportunities Galore

Oct 19, 2021 - Escrow Assistant in Nashville, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work Life balance, Great benefits, Awsome people, Opportunities to learn, grow, volunteer, and move up at your speed.

Cons

I have not found one yet

2 people found this review helpful