Zimmerman Advertising Reviews in Fort Lauderdale, FL | Glassdoor

4.0
Zimmerman Advertising Founder & Chairman Jordan Zimmerman
Jordan Zimmerman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I'm also getting to learn a lot about the trade as well as the time frames in which they are done (in 20 reviews)

• Fast paced and quick learning environment (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is a constant challenge, as in all client service based businesses (in 26 reviews)

• very low pay compared to other internships in the area (in 26 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Great Company with Great talent!"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst/Tech Writer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst/Tech Writer in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been an employee at Zimmerman for almost four years (six months as contractor then hired full-time) and have nothing but positive things to say about my experience. As such, I am also amazed at the negative comments about the firm that often pepper this site.

I am an analyst/writer/editor in a technology division that is staffed with extremely good talent and does wonders in website/app creation, email/banner generation, and various other technological magic. Our team is bright, innovative, dedicated, and leaves all egos at the front door. They are truly collaborative (as a necessity), and as such, very successful. I also have the good fortune to work with wonderful talent in the Digital, User Experience (UX), Creative, and Account areas, without whom the necessary successful collaboration could not work.

I have been in the technology/writing/compliance game for some time, and never really worry about finding a place to work. I work at Zimmerman because I choose to; I actually wake-up and look forward to going to work. In fairness, I feel compelled to respond to the naysayers who post on this site.

Some complain about the work hours and requirements. The fact is, in this industry, it’s not purely a Monday – Friday, 9 -5 gig; your work requirements ebb & flow with client demands; that’s the nature of this high-pressure competitive industry. Truth be told, if we don’t meet their needs, some other agency will. I was told this going in, and being somewhat senior in experience, I totally anticipated it.

Some have complained about the salaries. Call me old school, but when one starts with a company, one generally starts low on the wage scale until one gains experience and proves oneself. I’m not sure if it’s an instant gratification/generational thing, but that’s pretty much how it’s always worked. To summarize it simply, you have to earn it! Being experienced, mine is commensurate with the industry standard.

People have also complained about benefit costs, particularly health insurance. Having worked for a variety of consulting firms and companies, I can attest that the days of inexpensive health care coverage have pretty much gone the way of the dinosaur, due to increasing costs. It is rare indeed to find a firm that picks up the entire premium for an employee, so in my opinion, subsidized premiums are not a bad deal; you get the group coverage discount, plus don’t have to worry about pre-existing conditions should you have any.

The vacation benefit is especially nice! In your first year, you accrue two-weeks of vacation time, plus six days of personal time off, and a traditional skeleton week where you are off four of five days (with pay) between Christmas and New Year’s. That’s four weeks of paid time off for a one year employee! After two years, your vacation accrual jumps to three-weeks, also with the personal time and skeleton week; five weeks of paid time off! You also get a paid day for your birthday every year, plus the Presidents Day Holiday (who gets that off anymore?). And in the Summer, you get one half-day (paid) Friday per month as well. Hardly a horrible package (sarcasm emphasized).

In addition, there has been a year-end bonus for all employees for the past three years. It has been increased each year, and actually doubled for me this year, due to years of service! No complaints here.

Culture-wise, it’s quite enjoyable. There are Halloween celebrations, Thanksgiving celebrations, December holiday season celebrations, and the occasional karaoke night and happy hour. The company is also very good about giving back to the community as well. During my tenure here, I‘ve been able to volunteer for Feeding South Florida, raise money for the American Heart Association, and volunteer work for the Fort Lauderdale International Film Festival. People here work hard, and the company understands that employees must play hard (on occasion) as well.

I have read references to “old New Yorkers” and “dinosaurs” in leadership positions here at Zimmerman. Sorry critics, but these so-called oldsters contain a wealth of what is called “experience”. Experience doesn’t come overnight; it is acquired through years in the workplace, and contributes positively to the decision making process. Get over yourselves youngsters and gain some!

I’ve seen many comments regarding lack of promotional opportunities. This is fairly true; however it’s also a reflection of lean management and the business. I studied the organization prior to starting here and I knew it coming in. To be profitable, a company must run “lean and mean”, and can’t be top-heavy with executives and the salaries that accompany them. Either know what you’re getting into before you get into it, or gain your experience and move on. Truth is, turnover is always going to happen in this industry, be it here or anyplace else.

I have to chuckle at those who cite “second rate” clients, as I’ve worked with/work with clients such as Nissan, AutoNation, Kane’s Furniture, Chuck E. Cheese, ADP, Boston Market, Dunkin Donuts, etc. Last time I checked, they were all national brands!

Cons

If you know how the industry works, how the company works, and are prepared for the reality that accompanies it, there are no real “cons”. However, this business is not for everybody. It is deadline driven and very competitive, due to the nature of advertising agencies. The reality is that the clients pretty much do have the upper hand, that being if we don’t deliver a quality product that meets their particular needs, they will find an agency that will. Some clients, as a matter of practice, will conduct reviews every few years and offer other agencies the opportunity to pitch to them, sometime resulting in a client loss; that’s just how the game works. When that occurs, the pressure can increase, as all hands can be involved in attracting new clients to replace the old. As previously stated, there are times when employees must work evenings, early mornings, and the occasional weekend to meet deadlines and goals; again something people should know going in. However, if you’re built for the challenge and demands of the industry, it can be quite rewarding. There’s great satisfaction to be achieved by being part of a successful collaborative effort, being a part of something bigger than yourself. However, it is imperative that potential candidates think hard before considering this business. If you enjoy strict schedules and a workplace with a constant pace, this may not be the industry for you. However, if you enjoy challenges, teamwork, and learning from some of the best in the business, it can be extremely rewarding. A great business, but not for the timid!

Advice to Management

Nothing really significant; maybe a few more "town hall" meetings to keep us abreast of what's happening; other than that, keep on keeping on!

2. "Intern"

Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice staff, great office, good place to work

Cons

it is hard to get to

3. "Account Services Intern"

Current Intern - Account Services Intern in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

I am currently learning a lot from this internship.

Cons

There are no cons to this position.

4. "From the eyes of an Account Services Intern"

Current Intern - Account Services in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Intern - Account Services in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising as an intern

Pros

Amazing environment
    Extremely smart and helpful people all around you
    Real hands on experience
    They WANT you to learn and grow
    Even higher titled people in the company such as the CEO,CMO,the various directors, they all will tell you their door is open if you have any questions
    Jordan Zimmerman himself will ask how your internship experience is going

Cons

That I have to apply again to get in when I already feel like i'm part of the company, can I just stay?

Advice to Management

Keep inspiring, keep pushing, keep doing exactly what you're doing. You will attract all the right people and only those who can't preserver or don't like the idea of a challenge will back down from this company.

5. "First 6 Weeks of being a Zimmerman Intern"

Current Intern - Creative Copy in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Intern - Creative Copy in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The environment at Zimmerman is great to work in. All of the employees are energetic, hard working, and willing to help with whatever I need. I have learned more here in 6 weeks than I have in a semester at school.

Cons

As a creative, I find myself bored sometimes, and overly busy others. The agency is not the most organized and it directions are sometimes unclear. Additionally, they have not coordinated any kind of outside get togethers for the interns, which I feel is important because there are over 30 of us and I still don't know people well six weeks later.

Advice to Management

If I were management, I would try to give more clear instructions as far as the end-of-summer assignment. My group was so stuck on one aspect of the project until week 4, when we learned that what we were stuck on was something small. Additionally, I would try to make sure the creatives are always busy with a project. Last, I would give the interns more opportunity to get to know people outside of their teams.

6. "Great, But Situational"

Current Intern - Creative Copywrite in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Intern - Creative Copywrite in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Im really enjoying the people I'm getting to meet and I'm learning a lot from them. I'm also getting to learn a lot about the trade as well as the time frames in which they are done. The tools that are available to me are also great and are helping me strengthen my skills for when I truly work.

Cons

The only negative is that the current "big project". It's a good project and I am enjoying it, but it doesn't seem like a project I would normally work on. Having to create a brand and then market for it makes me miss the normal things I would encounter such as staying with a pre existing brand tone as well as is taking some time away from creating ads and campaigns due to the fact that I must also create the brand I will ad for.

Advice to Management

Honestly, I think everything is good, the only thing is the big project this time, which I think is a one time occurrence, so over all its a good internship

7. "Amazing work environment and great creative team"

Current Employee - Junior Graphic Designer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Junior Graphic Designer in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time

Pros

Alot of creative talent, Friendly coworkers, amazing amenities

Cons

No covered parking unless you have been employed there 3 years

Advice to Management

Covered parking for all cars

8. "Awesome Experience"

Current Intern - Intern in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Intern - Intern in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising as an intern

Pros

People care about you and the work that you do. Definitely a place you can go, have a great time, and meet plenty of awesome people.

Cons

9-6 everyday can be a downer, but that't the real world.

9. "An Amazing Internship Opportunity"

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising as an intern

Pros

Working at Zimmerman is fast pace and always makes you think. As an Intern it's a great introduction into the field since the employees keep you involved and not only show you what they do through out the day, but also task you with similar jobs. within a few days you already feel like a part of the company and that you've been working here for years.

Cons

Everything moves really quickly so you have too keep up. You can expects some stressful moments, and you need a thick skin when working in this industry.

Advice to Management

N/A

10. "Intern Experience Review"

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising as an intern

Pros

ZADV is a fast paced, casual, and collaborative environment that is great for hard workers and quick thinkers. The abundance of talent that is all around the agency is a great asset to use when completing different tasks. The office is gorgeous and modern - very conducive for innovative work. Everyone is very welcoming and friendly. Top executives are eager to offer guidance at every turn.

Cons

The pay is very low.

Advice to Management

N/A