Zimmerman Advertising Reviews in Miami-Fort Lauderdale, FL | Glassdoor

3.8
Zimmerman Advertising Founder & Chairman Jordan Zimmerman
Jordan Zimmerman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I'm also getting to learn a lot about the trade as well as the time frames in which they are done (in 23 reviews)

• Fast paced and quick learning environment (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Zero work/life balance does not trade well for a fancy building with a prestigious name and a game room that no one has time to hang out in (in 27 reviews)

• Expected to stay long hours after work to finish stuff (in 27 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Great Company with Great talent!"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst/Tech Writer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst/Tech Writer in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been an employee at Zimmerman for almost four years (six months as contractor then hired full-time) and have nothing but positive things to say about my experience. As such, I am also amazed at the negative comments about the firm that often pepper this site.

I am an analyst/writer/editor in a technology division that is staffed with extremely good talent and does wonders in website/app creation, email/banner generation, and various other technological magic. Our team is bright, innovative, dedicated, and leaves all egos at the front door. They are truly collaborative (as a necessity), and as such, very successful. I also have the good fortune to work with wonderful talent in the Digital, User Experience (UX), Creative, and Account areas, without whom the necessary successful collaboration could not work.

I have been in the technology/writing/compliance game for some time, and never really worry about finding a place to work. I work at Zimmerman because I choose to; I actually wake-up and look forward to going to work. In fairness, I feel compelled to respond to the naysayers who post on this site.

Some complain about the work hours and requirements. The fact is, in this industry, it’s not purely a Monday – Friday, 9 -5 gig; your work requirements ebb & flow with client demands; that’s the nature of this high-pressure competitive industry. Truth be told, if we don’t meet their needs, some other agency will. I was told this going in, and being somewhat senior in experience, I totally anticipated it.

Some have complained about the salaries. Call me old school, but when one starts with a company, one generally starts low on the wage scale until one gains experience and proves oneself. I’m not sure if it’s an instant gratification/generational thing, but that’s pretty much how it’s always worked. To summarize it simply, you have to earn it! Being experienced, mine is commensurate with the industry standard.

People have also complained about benefit costs, particularly health insurance. Having worked for a variety of consulting firms and companies, I can attest that the days of inexpensive health care coverage have pretty much gone the way of the dinosaur, due to increasing costs. It is rare indeed to find a firm that picks up the entire premium for an employee, so in my opinion, subsidized premiums are not a bad deal; you get the group coverage discount, plus don’t have to worry about pre-existing conditions should you have any.

The vacation benefit is especially nice! In your first year, you accrue two-weeks of vacation time, plus six days of personal time off, and a traditional skeleton week where you are off four of five days (with pay) between Christmas and New Year’s. That’s four weeks of paid time off for a one year employee! After two years, your vacation accrual jumps to three-weeks, also with the personal time and skeleton week; five weeks of paid time off! You also get a paid day for your birthday every year, plus the Presidents Day Holiday (who gets that off anymore?). And in the Summer, you get one half-day (paid) Friday per month as well. Hardly a horrible package (sarcasm emphasized).

In addition, there has been a year-end bonus for all employees for the past three years. It has been increased each year, and actually doubled for me this year, due to years of service! No complaints here.

Culture-wise, it’s quite enjoyable. There are Halloween celebrations, Thanksgiving celebrations, December holiday season celebrations, and the occasional karaoke night and happy hour. The company is also very good about giving back to the community as well. During my tenure here, I‘ve been able to volunteer for Feeding South Florida, raise money for the American Heart Association, and volunteer work for the Fort Lauderdale International Film Festival. People here work hard, and the company understands that employees must play hard (on occasion) as well.

I have read references to “old New Yorkers” and “dinosaurs” in leadership positions here at Zimmerman. Sorry critics, but these so-called oldsters contain a wealth of what is called “experience”. Experience doesn’t come overnight; it is acquired through years in the workplace, and contributes positively to the decision making process. Get over yourselves youngsters and gain some!

I’ve seen many comments regarding lack of promotional opportunities. This is fairly true; however it’s also a reflection of lean management and the business. I studied the organization prior to starting here and I knew it coming in. To be profitable, a company must run “lean and mean”, and can’t be top-heavy with executives and the salaries that accompany them. Either know what you’re getting into before you get into it, or gain your experience and move on. Truth is, turnover is always going to happen in this industry, be it here or anyplace else.

I have to chuckle at those who cite “second rate” clients, as I’ve worked with/work with clients such as Nissan, AutoNation, Kane’s Furniture, Chuck E. Cheese, ADP, Boston Market, Dunkin Donuts, etc. Last time I checked, they were all national brands!

Cons

If you know how the industry works, how the company works, and are prepared for the reality that accompanies it, there are no real “cons”. However, this business is not for everybody. It is deadline driven and very competitive, due to the nature of advertising agencies. The reality is that the clients pretty much do have the upper hand, that being if we don’t deliver a quality product that meets their particular needs, they will find an agency that will. Some clients, as a matter of practice, will conduct reviews every few years and offer other agencies the opportunity to pitch to them, sometime resulting in a client loss; that’s just how the game works. When that occurs, the pressure can increase, as all hands can be involved in attracting new clients to replace the old. As previously stated, there are times when employees must work evenings, early mornings, and the occasional weekend to meet deadlines and goals; again something people should know going in. However, if you’re built for the challenge and demands of the industry, it can be quite rewarding. There’s great satisfaction to be achieved by being part of a successful collaborative effort, being a part of something bigger than yourself. However, it is imperative that potential candidates think hard before considering this business. If you enjoy strict schedules and a workplace with a constant pace, this may not be the industry for you. However, if you enjoy challenges, teamwork, and learning from some of the best in the business, it can be extremely rewarding. A great business, but not for the timid!

Advice to Management

Nothing really significant; maybe a few more "town hall" meetings to keep us abreast of what's happening; other than that, keep on keeping on!

2. "Great first job"

Current Employee - Junior Copywriter in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Junior Copywriter in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I feel very fortunate to work here.

My superiors treat me with respect and offer their support whenever I need it. They're patient, understanding, and knowledgable. This is my first job and when I make a mistake they take the time to encourage me and turn it into a learning experience.

I am involved in a lot of projects and are given the opportunity to offer input regularly. Coming into a large agency as a junior I was not expecting to be as involved as I am and I'm grateful to have these opportunities at such an early stage in my career. I also receive great feedback after I've completed a project, which helps me quickly learn and understand how to produce better, more accurate work in the future.

I work with a team of talented, fun individuals. I'm excited to come to work in the mornings because I like the people I spend my days with. It's a comfortable, collaborative environment that fosters great work.

Cons

Valets are rough with the cars. Tires shouldn't be screeching, engines shouldn't be revving.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

"The best agency ever!"

Current Employee - Project Lead in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Project Lead in Miami, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

kindness, harmony, good atmosphere, respect, fun, friendly....

Cons

hard work, sometimes location, a lot of meetings

"Run while you can!"

Current Employee - Entry Level Account in Oakland Park, FL
    Current Employee - Entry Level Account in Oakland Park, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place for students struggling to find a job after
    school to land somewhere. Nice building and only real "big time" agency in South Florida aside from the far more reputable Alma and CPB.

Cons

Pay is insulting, you are restricted to learning a very small aspect of advertising/marketing and will not be exposed to anything else.

Account side is overstaffed, creative understaffed.

Place is a shrine to all of Jordan's accomplishments.

Place is in shambles during deadline time due to lack of organization.

If you have aspirations of going places in the agency, this is the total wrong place to go.

Have not seen a happy person below a VP level

Advice to Management

Don't work us like sweatshop workers and make everyone feel expendable for a pitiful salary

"In a word, horrible"

Current Employee - Account Services in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Account Services in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Located in South Florida, nice office building. To be perfectly honest, that’s it

Cons

Pay is incredibly low. The work is mind numbing and terrible. Managers are uniformly bullies and cowardly. No one believes the hype, not one person I know here but all are afraid to speak up

Advice to Management

Not sure who writes the rosy reviews here but it can’t be the staff. This is uniformly the weakest agency I’ve ever worked at. Congrats on creating a factory. In s couple decades you can staff it w robots. That will be your dream come true.

6. "The Few, The Proud, The Z..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy an intense, exciting, and supercharged work environment, and Zimmerman delivers! More importantly, the PEOPLE make it a great place to work, and the majority of them are here because they LOVE it.

Cons

It's an ad agency, with retail and automotive clients... so just know the pace is fast, dynamic, and unpredictable!

Advice to Management

Bring on the clients...

"Low pay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at Zimmerman Advertising full-time

Pros

Easy to get hired

Cons

No one can live off the salary

Advice to Management

Value employees

8. "Amazing Agency!"

Current Employee - Junior Digital Media Planner/Buyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Junior Digital Media Planner/Buyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly, good work, amazing culture, sweet clients!

Cons

I love the on-boarding process, but it should be done much sooner than all within first 90 days. First 30 days would be better

Advice to Management

You guys are doing great!

"Quick and dirty experience for new grads"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Zimmerman Advertising full-time

Pros

Great place for recent college grads to quickly acquire experience. Do a year penance to put some agency experience under your belt, then go get a real job elsewhere.
    Access to new technology.

Cons

Extremely high churn. Exploits its employees.
    Interdepartmental fighting.
    Caste classes for client accounts. Some clients get unlimited attention, the rest are ignored.

Advice to Management

Time for fresh leadership at the top. Stop treating your employees as a renewable resource.

10. "Intern"

Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Intern - Intern - Hourly in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice staff, great office, good place to work

Cons

it is hard to get to