Zimmerman Advertising Reviews in Miami-Fort Lauderdale, FL | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Zimmerman Advertising Founder & Chairman Jordan Zimmerman
Jordan Zimmerman

Pros
  • You can learn a lot in a short amount of time and there is constantly something new to learn (in 16 reviews)

• There are some great people within; they have to be great to tolerate the non-stop 24/7/365 more-more-more mantra (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is a constant challenge, as in all client service based businesses (in 24 reviews)

• Gap in company culture--employees either love it or hate it but both tell you just as loudly, low pay at most levels for the south florida zip code (in 26 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Great Company with Great talent!"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst/Tech Writer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst/Tech Writer in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been an employee at Zimmerman for almost four years (six months as contractor then hired full-time) and have nothing but positive things to say about my experience. As such, I am also amazed at the negative comments about the firm that often pepper this site.

I am an analyst/writer/editor in a technology division that is staffed with extremely good talent and does wonders in website/app creation, email/banner generation, and various other technological magic. Our team is bright, innovative, dedicated, and leaves all egos at the front door. They are truly collaborative (as a necessity), and as such, very successful. I also have the good fortune to work with wonderful talent in the Digital, User Experience (UX), Creative, and Account areas, without whom the necessary successful collaboration could not work.

I have been in the technology/writing/compliance game for some time, and never really worry about finding a place to work. I work at Zimmerman because I choose to; I actually wake-up and look forward to going to work. In fairness, I feel compelled to respond to the naysayers who post on this site.

Some complain about the work hours and requirements. The fact is, in this industry, it’s not purely a Monday – Friday, 9 -5 gig; your work requirements ebb & flow with client demands; that’s the nature of this high-pressure competitive industry. Truth be told, if we don’t meet their needs, some other agency will. I was told this going in, and being somewhat senior in experience, I totally anticipated it.

Some have complained about the salaries. Call me old school, but when one starts with a company, one generally starts low on the wage scale until one gains experience and proves oneself. I’m not sure if it’s an instant gratification/generational thing, but that’s pretty much how it’s always worked. To summarize it simply, you have to earn it! Being experienced, mine is commensurate with the industry standard.

People have also complained about benefit costs, particularly health insurance. Having worked for a variety of consulting firms and companies, I can attest that the days of inexpensive health care coverage have pretty much gone the way of the dinosaur, due to increasing costs. It is rare indeed to find a firm that picks up the entire premium for an employee, so in my opinion, subsidized premiums are not a bad deal; you get the group coverage discount, plus don’t have to worry about pre-existing conditions should you have any.

The vacation benefit is especially nice! In your first year, you accrue two-weeks of vacation time, plus six days of personal time off, and a traditional skeleton week where you are off four of five days (with pay) between Christmas and New Year’s. That’s four weeks of paid time off for a one year employee! After two years, your vacation accrual jumps to three-weeks, also with the personal time and skeleton week; five weeks of paid time off! You also get a paid day for your birthday every year, plus the Presidents Day Holiday (who gets that off anymore?). And in the Summer, you get one half-day (paid) Friday per month as well. Hardly a horrible package (sarcasm emphasized).

In addition, there has been a year-end bonus for all employees for the past three years. It has been increased each year, and actually doubled for me this year, due to years of service! No complaints here.

Culture-wise, it’s quite enjoyable. There are Halloween celebrations, Thanksgiving celebrations, December holiday season celebrations, and the occasional karaoke night and happy hour. The company is also very good about giving back to the community as well. During my tenure here, I‘ve been able to volunteer for Feeding South Florida, raise money for the American Heart Association, and volunteer work for the Fort Lauderdale International Film Festival. People here work hard, and the company understands that employees must play hard (on occasion) as well.

I have read references to “old New Yorkers” and “dinosaurs” in leadership positions here at Zimmerman. Sorry critics, but these so-called oldsters contain a wealth of what is called “experience”. Experience doesn’t come overnight; it is acquired through years in the workplace, and contributes positively to the decision making process. Get over yourselves youngsters and gain some!

I’ve seen many comments regarding lack of promotional opportunities. This is fairly true; however it’s also a reflection of lean management and the business. I studied the organization prior to starting here and I knew it coming in. To be profitable, a company must run “lean and mean”, and can’t be top-heavy with executives and the salaries that accompany them. Either know what you’re getting into before you get into it, or gain your experience and move on. Truth is, turnover is always going to happen in this industry, be it here or anyplace else.

I have to chuckle at those who cite “second rate” clients, as I’ve worked with/work with clients such as Nissan, AutoNation, Kane’s Furniture, Chuck E. Cheese, ADP, Boston Market, Dunkin Donuts, etc. Last time I checked, they were all national brands!

Cons

If you know how the industry works, how the company works, and are prepared for the reality that accompanies it, there are no real “cons”. However, this business is not for everybody. It is deadline driven and very competitive, due to the nature of advertising agencies. The reality is that the clients pretty much do have the upper hand, that being if we don’t deliver a quality product that meets their particular needs, they will find an agency that will. Some clients, as a matter of practice, will conduct reviews every few years and offer other agencies the opportunity to pitch to them, sometime resulting in a client loss; that’s just how the game works. When that occurs, the pressure can increase, as all hands can be involved in attracting new clients to replace the old. As previously stated, there are times when employees must work evenings, early mornings, and the occasional weekend to meet deadlines and goals; again something people should know going in. However, if you’re built for the challenge and demands of the industry, it can be quite rewarding. There’s great satisfaction to be achieved by being part of a successful collaborative effort, being a part of something bigger than yourself. However, it is imperative that potential candidates think hard before considering this business. If you enjoy strict schedules and a workplace with a constant pace, this may not be the industry for you. However, if you enjoy challenges, teamwork, and learning from some of the best in the business, it can be extremely rewarding. A great business, but not for the timid!

Advice to Management

Nothing really significant; maybe a few more "town hall" meetings to keep us abreast of what's happening; other than that, keep on keeping on!

2. "Great place to learn the ins and outs of an ad agency"

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Structured work environment
    Motivated colleagues
    National clients
    Beautiful building
    You learn a lot

Cons

You either valet your car or park across the street--obtaining a parking decal is a waiting game.

3. "Sr. Graphic Designer"

Current Employee - Senior Digital Designer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Digital Designer in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to participate with diverse client projects, get inspiration from other designers/copywriters/directors/community managers, and contact with a very diverse community that lets you learn new things everyday. Comfortable place to work, to feel in Zimmerman that you part of a community.

Cons

The work/life balance is hard to maintain, most of the time job tasks come unexpected for the same day to deliver and you end up staying late to meet project deadlines.

Advice to Management

The company's official social media accounts should reflect the Zvalues the culture, tops projects and lifestyle inside "the machine".

"Jr. Integrated Media Planner"

Current Employee - Junior Integrted Media Planner in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Junior Integrted Media Planner in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Where do I start?

Zimmerman is awesome. If you are passionate about the media, like I am, (it's my career-nothing serious) this is where you want to be. There is a reason why Zimmerman has risen to the top as an agency and it's because the level of talent here is exceptional. The work is not easy, but that's what makes this company such a thriving and successful business. Hard work! $3 billion is the result that Zimmerman and it's employees produce and the number continues to rise. Why? The service provided to the clients from Zimmerman and it's employees is the why. How? Working endlessly and passionately for the things we love!

The harder and smarter you work, the more you will be rewarded. Being a realist, I know I do not have a right to complain about how much money my role pays, so I don't. When I become an asset to this company by infinitely striving to learn everything I possibly can and projecting this in the work I produce, the reward will be given. Less talking and more action. I wish my generation understood that we are not entitled to ANYTHING.

Cons

This is a business and of course there will be downsides. What are they? The downsides of this business are contingent upon the work you produce. If you see some of the "cons" listed in the reviews, you will notice that they all tie back to opinion. Nothing is actually concrete. Complaining about management, salary, etc. Once again, why does anyone feel like they are entitled to any of this. Most of these reviews are coming from 5 or less years. The "management" has worked their butts off for 10-15-20 years and they still don't feel like they are entitled to anything. They have worked and worked and worked and are still working to get better at what they do. If the media is important to you and it's what you love to do (like me), there won't be any complaining. Maybe the media isn't for you. Check your motives and dedicate yourself and you will be rewarded.

Advice to Management

Keep on keepin' on. Thanks for understanding and coping with the adversities that come with learning.

6. "1 month in..."

Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

company culture
    nice people
    free food always

Cons

lower pay, but there is potential to grow and work your way up

"Jr. Media Planner"

Current Employee - Junior Media Planner in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Junior Media Planner in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very competitive and deadline driven. There is a lot of opportunities to learn in a short time. It is a fast paced and quick learning environment
    Team oriented environment
    Employees have to be dedicated, proactive and passionate
    Great resources available

Cons

Not cons at this moment

"Account Director"

Current Employee - Account Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Account Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great resources available. Staff of dedicated, passionate and smart people. Fast paced and quick learning environment.

Cons

Not sure this is a con, but you should be ready to hit the ground running....actually sprinting.

Advice to Management

I enjoyed Jordan Zimmerman's orientation. I think that is a great way to kick off the job. I think we all left that day feeling empowered and inspired to give our all to our career. It would be nice if those kind of sessions, with different upper management or even guest speakers, would be available on an ongoing basis.

"Threatening to quit seems to be the best, if not the only way to get the raise you're owed."

Current Employee - Unavailable in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Unavailable in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If it's a field you're interested in there are some genuinely interested opportunities.

Cons

Prepare to be worked to the bone, over and over again, for substandard pay.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes. Can the extremely high turn over rate be that easily missed, or do you just not care?

"An Honest Assessment."

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Always receive paychecks on time. New building is decent.

Cons

I'm not going to bring up industry issues, long hours, difficult clients, no budgets and other things that come with every agency and advertising life. And no name
    calling or personal attacks. Zimmerman has specific problems I've never experienced or heard of in any business environment. Unprofessionalism permeates every aspect and level within the agency. From people being reprimanded/threatened, singularly and in department meetings, to the CEO and President confiscating employee car keys upon late arrival and demanding an explanation for their retrieval. 24/7 isn't the issue. Poor treatment, mismanagement, low morale, outdated thinking and unrealistic expectations will always drag the agency down. Unless employees are treated with respect, it will not get better. It's a shame, all the ingredients are there, but change must start from the top. The current vision does not include all employees. There are many ways to make people feel valued and rewarded that don't cost a cent. I'm not talking about food trucks, low budget parties or wawa coffee.

Advice to Management

Hard to argue with a system that makes money. Sadly, it's at the expense of many employees. Stop nickel and diming staff and clients, get rid of cross the board, communist structured "bonuses" and reward employees based on job performance. Read a book or two on basic management, learn how to speak to people and inspire them by leading not managing. Give the occasional well-deserved day off considering most nights and weekends are sacrificed. A culture of fear is certainly effective, just don't wonder why it's extremely difficult to retain staff, entice good employees or change the HORRIFIC reputation Zimmerman has in our industry. A career is more than a paycheck to a lot of people. Some of us love what we do, and want to be proud of where we work, but it's becoming very difficult.

"Good for starting career in advertising"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Zimmerman Advertising full-time

Pros

Nice people, if you are starting out of college, most co-workers will be around your age.
    Really good internship program, gives valuable experience working in the different departments.
    Cool building, fun activities for employees sometimes like an ice cream truck in the summer.

Cons

Very little creativity when it comes to client work, feels really repetitive.
    Tons of turn over, it felt like there was 3-5 new people every week, most people leave after a year or two, even those at executive level don't last very long.
    Low pay.