Zimmerman Advertising Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Zimmerman Advertising Founder & Chairman Jordan Zimmerman
Jordan Zimmerman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I'm also getting to learn a lot about the trade as well as the time frames in which they are done (in 21 reviews)

• The work environment definitely makes it a place to enjoy coming to every morning, regardless if it is a Monday or Friday (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is a constant challenge, as in all client service based businesses (in 26 reviews)

• very low pay compared to other internships in the area (in 27 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Great Company with Great talent!"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst/Tech Writer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst/Tech Writer in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been an employee at Zimmerman for almost four years (six months as contractor then hired full-time) and have nothing but positive things to say about my experience. As such, I am also amazed at the negative comments about the firm that often pepper this site.

I am an analyst/writer/editor in a technology division that is staffed with extremely good talent and does wonders in website/app creation, email/banner generation, and various other technological magic. Our team is bright, innovative, dedicated, and leaves all egos at the front door. They are truly collaborative (as a necessity), and as such, very successful. I also have the good fortune to work with wonderful talent in the Digital, User Experience (UX), Creative, and Account areas, without whom the necessary successful collaboration could not work.

I have been in the technology/writing/compliance game for some time, and never really worry about finding a place to work. I work at Zimmerman because I choose to; I actually wake-up and look forward to going to work. In fairness, I feel compelled to respond to the naysayers who post on this site.

Some complain about the work hours and requirements. The fact is, in this industry, it’s not purely a Monday – Friday, 9 -5 gig; your work requirements ebb & flow with client demands; that’s the nature of this high-pressure competitive industry. Truth be told, if we don’t meet their needs, some other agency will. I was told this going in, and being somewhat senior in experience, I totally anticipated it.

Some have complained about the salaries. Call me old school, but when one starts with a company, one generally starts low on the wage scale until one gains experience and proves oneself. I’m not sure if it’s an instant gratification/generational thing, but that’s pretty much how it’s always worked. To summarize it simply, you have to earn it! Being experienced, mine is commensurate with the industry standard.

People have also complained about benefit costs, particularly health insurance. Having worked for a variety of consulting firms and companies, I can attest that the days of inexpensive health care coverage have pretty much gone the way of the dinosaur, due to increasing costs. It is rare indeed to find a firm that picks up the entire premium for an employee, so in my opinion, subsidized premiums are not a bad deal; you get the group coverage discount, plus don’t have to worry about pre-existing conditions should you have any.

The vacation benefit is especially nice! In your first year, you accrue two-weeks of vacation time, plus six days of personal time off, and a traditional skeleton week where you are off four of five days (with pay) between Christmas and New Year’s. That’s four weeks of paid time off for a one year employee! After two years, your vacation accrual jumps to three-weeks, also with the personal time and skeleton week; five weeks of paid time off! You also get a paid day for your birthday every year, plus the Presidents Day Holiday (who gets that off anymore?). And in the Summer, you get one half-day (paid) Friday per month as well. Hardly a horrible package (sarcasm emphasized).

In addition, there has been a year-end bonus for all employees for the past three years. It has been increased each year, and actually doubled for me this year, due to years of service! No complaints here.

Culture-wise, it’s quite enjoyable. There are Halloween celebrations, Thanksgiving celebrations, December holiday season celebrations, and the occasional karaoke night and happy hour. The company is also very good about giving back to the community as well. During my tenure here, I‘ve been able to volunteer for Feeding South Florida, raise money for the American Heart Association, and volunteer work for the Fort Lauderdale International Film Festival. People here work hard, and the company understands that employees must play hard (on occasion) as well.

I have read references to “old New Yorkers” and “dinosaurs” in leadership positions here at Zimmerman. Sorry critics, but these so-called oldsters contain a wealth of what is called “experience”. Experience doesn’t come overnight; it is acquired through years in the workplace, and contributes positively to the decision making process. Get over yourselves youngsters and gain some!

I’ve seen many comments regarding lack of promotional opportunities. This is fairly true; however it’s also a reflection of lean management and the business. I studied the organization prior to starting here and I knew it coming in. To be profitable, a company must run “lean and mean”, and can’t be top-heavy with executives and the salaries that accompany them. Either know what you’re getting into before you get into it, or gain your experience and move on. Truth is, turnover is always going to happen in this industry, be it here or anyplace else.

I have to chuckle at those who cite “second rate” clients, as I’ve worked with/work with clients such as Nissan, AutoNation, Kane’s Furniture, Chuck E. Cheese, ADP, Boston Market, Dunkin Donuts, etc. Last time I checked, they were all national brands!

Cons

If you know how the industry works, how the company works, and are prepared for the reality that accompanies it, there are no real “cons”. However, this business is not for everybody. It is deadline driven and very competitive, due to the nature of advertising agencies. The reality is that the clients pretty much do have the upper hand, that being if we don’t deliver a quality product that meets their particular needs, they will find an agency that will. Some clients, as a matter of practice, will conduct reviews every few years and offer other agencies the opportunity to pitch to them, sometime resulting in a client loss; that’s just how the game works. When that occurs, the pressure can increase, as all hands can be involved in attracting new clients to replace the old. As previously stated, there are times when employees must work evenings, early mornings, and the occasional weekend to meet deadlines and goals; again something people should know going in. However, if you’re built for the challenge and demands of the industry, it can be quite rewarding. There’s great satisfaction to be achieved by being part of a successful collaborative effort, being a part of something bigger than yourself. However, it is imperative that potential candidates think hard before considering this business. If you enjoy strict schedules and a workplace with a constant pace, this may not be the industry for you. However, if you enjoy challenges, teamwork, and learning from some of the best in the business, it can be extremely rewarding. A great business, but not for the timid!

Advice to Management

Nothing really significant; maybe a few more "town hall" meetings to keep us abreast of what's happening; other than that, keep on keeping on!

2. "Associate Director"

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time

Pros

Very professional work atmosphere but people are great! Nice office and impressive client roster.

Cons

Health insurance is expensive compared to previous agencies

3. "Life At Zimmerman"

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time

Pros

Valet Service
    Unlimited Soda and Coffee
    Strong Sense Of Community
    Co-Workers are very friendly
    Collaborative Environment
    Lots of Lunch Options Near By

Cons

Zero Training/Managers are unavailable for assistance
    Very Cold Work Environments
    No Food options offered in Office, expect you to bring lunch or go out (if you have time)
    Last Minute communication during impending Natural Disasters

Advice to Management

Work on training your employees. You can't expect your current employees who are working 24/7 seriously to stop what they are doing to train.

"it was good at the beginning but then.."

I worked at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good place to work
    Very fast paced
    People care to see you grow

Cons

I was laid off in the most un proper way. They called me to HR to talk to me, they did not let me go back to my desk. If I did then I was going to have an escort to watch over that I do not communicate nobody that I was getting laid off, they refused to let me go back to desk alone. I felt very uncomfortable and almost made me feel like I was did something really bad and that is why I needed to be escorted out. What is so good about a company that wants to help you out at first, that when they do not need you no more or want to get rid off you they do it the most uncomfortable way.

Advice to Management

Be more human less corporate.

5. "The Few, The Proud, The Z..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy an intense, exciting, and supercharged work environment, and Zimmerman delivers! More importantly, the PEOPLE make it a great place to work, and the majority of them are here because they LOVE it.

Cons

It's an ad agency, with retail and automotive clients... so just know the pace is fast, dynamic, and unpredictable!

Advice to Management

Bring on the clients...

"Great experience"

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time

Pros

Learn a lot and get tons of experience

Cons

There's a High turn over rate

7. "Amazing Agency!"

Current Employee - Junior Digital Media Planner/Buyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Junior Digital Media Planner/Buyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly, good work, amazing culture, sweet clients!

Cons

I love the on-boarding process, but it should be done much sooner than all within first 90 days. First 30 days would be better

Advice to Management

You guys are doing great!

8. "Great Team, Good Experience"

Former Employee - Digital Media Supervisor in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Digital Media Supervisor in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great team of people to work with
    -Managers/Executive team have been there a long time
    -Management had an open door policy
    -Great vacation / time-off package
    -Business growing
    -One of the few agencies that still gives out bonuses

Cons

Not a ton of opportunity for growth since senior management doesn't leave

"A lot of good, but a lot of bad"

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time

Pros

Casual work environment
    Many opportunities for free food
    They want to teach you a lot about the all-around business and company
    Prestigious clients
    A lot of value and responsibility placed on every role, including entry level
    They genuinely do want you to succeed
    A good place to have on a resume

Cons

Pay is minimal (had to move back in with my parents)
    "Live to Work" culture - 9am-6pm every day. Seems like no time left in day to do anything else but have dinner and go to sleep and start again
    They attempt to mask that you are really working a corporate job at a computer for long continuous hours by framing the company as an edgy creative environment
    Tend to hire people to departments that need quick filling rather than one's that they are most qualified for
    Expected to stay long hours after work to finish stuff
    Slow learning process - have been here for a while and still do not know how to do most things. I am a quick learner and adapt fairly easily, but they do not really do a good job at showing you what you should do. Continuously feel lost in what's going on
    Company struggles to maintain employees, and the burden on other employees is greatly increased when they leave
    Benefits don't begin until 3 months in to work
    Valet is actually more of a hassle than it is a convenience
    Usually end up working 45+ hours a week with no overtime pay because you're so busy that you need to work through lunch with no overtime pay
    Asked to do things that you have never learned or been asked to do, with a very short deadline
    Your bosses and superiors tend to leave you hanging
    Glorify being innovative and using apple products, but make you use a PC

Advice to Management

Have better guidelines for orienting new employees to their positions
    Take care of your employees a little better when you know you have the ability to, so that they don't have to spend the few hours of the day where they're not at work wondering how they're going to make ends meet, pay their bills, and pay off student loans

"Incredibly Low Morale, Incredibly High Turnover"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

What makes a job a career as opposed to just a low paying gig that can end at any moment? what makes people devote themselves to their work as opposed to "mailing it in"? Hint: It's not the glass building or the corporate "work,work,work" soviet style mantra.

Cons

Low pay, weak managers, a culture with fear and intimidation as a constant undertone. No mentorship just an endless grind of unchanging work, unhappy clients and tough talk about "the machine" that no one, repeat, no one does more than pay lip service to.

Advice to Management

Why not actually create an agency where people might stay for more than a year? Where clients and staffers aren't fired on a regular basis.Where people come together to create memorable work that yeilds real results rather than half hearted garbage that no one cares about.