Zimmerman Advertising Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Zimmerman Advertising Founder & Chairman Jordan Zimmerman
Jordan Zimmerman

Pros
  • You can learn a lot in a short amount of time and there is constantly something new to learn (in 18 reviews)

• The work environment definitely makes it a place to enjoy coming to every morning, regardless if it is a Monday or Friday (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is a constant challenge, as in all client service based businesses (in 24 reviews)

• Gap in company culture--employees either love it or hate it but both tell you just as loudly, low pay at most levels for the south florida zip code (in 25 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Great Company with Great talent!"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst/Tech Writer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst/Tech Writer in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been an employee at Zimmerman for almost four years (six months as contractor then hired full-time) and have nothing but positive things to say about my experience. As such, I am also amazed at the negative comments about the firm that often pepper this site.

I am an analyst/writer/editor in a technology division that is staffed with extremely good talent and does wonders in website/app creation, email/banner generation, and various other technological magic. Our team is bright, innovative, dedicated, and leaves all egos at the front door. They are truly collaborative (as a necessity), and as such, very successful. I also have the good fortune to work with wonderful talent in the Digital, User Experience (UX), Creative, and Account areas, without whom the necessary successful collaboration could not work.

I have been in the technology/writing/compliance game for some time, and never really worry about finding a place to work. I work at Zimmerman because I choose to; I actually wake-up and look forward to going to work. In fairness, I feel compelled to respond to the naysayers who post on this site.

Some complain about the work hours and requirements. The fact is, in this industry, it’s not purely a Monday – Friday, 9 -5 gig; your work requirements ebb & flow with client demands; that’s the nature of this high-pressure competitive industry. Truth be told, if we don’t meet their needs, some other agency will. I was told this going in, and being somewhat senior in experience, I totally anticipated it.

Some have complained about the salaries. Call me old school, but when one starts with a company, one generally starts low on the wage scale until one gains experience and proves oneself. I’m not sure if it’s an instant gratification/generational thing, but that’s pretty much how it’s always worked. To summarize it simply, you have to earn it! Being experienced, mine is commensurate with the industry standard.

People have also complained about benefit costs, particularly health insurance. Having worked for a variety of consulting firms and companies, I can attest that the days of inexpensive health care coverage have pretty much gone the way of the dinosaur, due to increasing costs. It is rare indeed to find a firm that picks up the entire premium for an employee, so in my opinion, subsidized premiums are not a bad deal; you get the group coverage discount, plus don’t have to worry about pre-existing conditions should you have any.

The vacation benefit is especially nice! In your first year, you accrue two-weeks of vacation time, plus six days of personal time off, and a traditional skeleton week where you are off four of five days (with pay) between Christmas and New Year’s. That’s four weeks of paid time off for a one year employee! After two years, your vacation accrual jumps to three-weeks, also with the personal time and skeleton week; five weeks of paid time off! You also get a paid day for your birthday every year, plus the Presidents Day Holiday (who gets that off anymore?). And in the Summer, you get one half-day (paid) Friday per month as well. Hardly a horrible package (sarcasm emphasized).

In addition, there has been a year-end bonus for all employees for the past three years. It has been increased each year, and actually doubled for me this year, due to years of service! No complaints here.

Culture-wise, it’s quite enjoyable. There are Halloween celebrations, Thanksgiving celebrations, December holiday season celebrations, and the occasional karaoke night and happy hour. The company is also very good about giving back to the community as well. During my tenure here, I‘ve been able to volunteer for Feeding South Florida, raise money for the American Heart Association, and volunteer work for the Fort Lauderdale International Film Festival. People here work hard, and the company understands that employees must play hard (on occasion) as well.

I have read references to “old New Yorkers” and “dinosaurs” in leadership positions here at Zimmerman. Sorry critics, but these so-called oldsters contain a wealth of what is called “experience”. Experience doesn’t come overnight; it is acquired through years in the workplace, and contributes positively to the decision making process. Get over yourselves youngsters and gain some!

I’ve seen many comments regarding lack of promotional opportunities. This is fairly true; however it’s also a reflection of lean management and the business. I studied the organization prior to starting here and I knew it coming in. To be profitable, a company must run “lean and mean”, and can’t be top-heavy with executives and the salaries that accompany them. Either know what you’re getting into before you get into it, or gain your experience and move on. Truth is, turnover is always going to happen in this industry, be it here or anyplace else.

I have to chuckle at those who cite “second rate” clients, as I’ve worked with/work with clients such as Nissan, AutoNation, Kane’s Furniture, Chuck E. Cheese, ADP, Boston Market, Dunkin Donuts, etc. Last time I checked, they were all national brands!

Cons

If you know how the industry works, how the company works, and are prepared for the reality that accompanies it, there are no real “cons”. However, this business is not for everybody. It is deadline driven and very competitive, due to the nature of advertising agencies. The reality is that the clients pretty much do have the upper hand, that being if we don’t deliver a quality product that meets their particular needs, they will find an agency that will. Some clients, as a matter of practice, will conduct reviews every few years and offer other agencies the opportunity to pitch to them, sometime resulting in a client loss; that’s just how the game works. When that occurs, the pressure can increase, as all hands can be involved in attracting new clients to replace the old. As previously stated, there are times when employees must work evenings, early mornings, and the occasional weekend to meet deadlines and goals; again something people should know going in. However, if you’re built for the challenge and demands of the industry, it can be quite rewarding. There’s great satisfaction to be achieved by being part of a successful collaborative effort, being a part of something bigger than yourself. However, it is imperative that potential candidates think hard before considering this business. If you enjoy strict schedules and a workplace with a constant pace, this may not be the industry for you. However, if you enjoy challenges, teamwork, and learning from some of the best in the business, it can be extremely rewarding. A great business, but not for the timid!

Advice to Management

Nothing really significant; maybe a few more "town hall" meetings to keep us abreast of what's happening; other than that, keep on keeping on!

2. "Traffic Administrative Assistant"

Current Intern - Traffic Administrative Assistant in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Intern - Traffic Administrative Assistant in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working at Zimmerman. This is my first time working with an actual advertising agency and I love it. The diversity and amount of intense creativity that spreads through out the building is awesome. I look forward to coming in to work everyday. I work with a great team and managers that are willing to make sure I'm on the right track. The job is very fast paced! I see why they call it "The Machine". My favorite part about my Onboarding process was meeting the CEO Jordan Zimmerman. His speech and presentation was very inspiring.

Cons

It would be nice to have another place to sit and eat other than the zcafe(which is beautiful).

Advice to Management

Doing great! Lets work on brain storming to do more events with our employees and the community.

"Administrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant (Traffic Department) in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am new to the advertising industry and I love it. This is a fast paced environment that keeps you busy. Its a lot of information to take in. But it was worth it. I dont regret my decision. I had an issue and needed to speak with payroll. Olga made herself available and was very patient. My immediate supervisor is awesome T.P. (Traffic Dept).I honestly dont know how she was able to train and get her work done. Also you get to meet the founder Mr. Zimmerman. His presentation was very inspiring.Lounge areas on each floor in case you need to take a breather. The zcafe is very nice to enjoy your lunch or you can sit by the lake on a bench. And the decor is lovely

Cons

Its freeeeezing. Sometimes its to a point that its very uncomfortable.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Maybe have the temperature more comfortable.

"Account Director"

Current Employee - Account Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Account Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great resources available. Staff of dedicated, passionate and smart people. Fast paced and quick learning environment.

Cons

Not sure this is a con, but you should be ready to hit the ground running....actually sprinting.

Advice to Management

I enjoyed Jordan Zimmerman's orientation. I think that is a great way to kick off the job. I think we all left that day feeling empowered and inspired to give our all to our career. It would be nice if those kind of sessions, with different upper management or even guest speakers, would be available on an ongoing basis.

6. "Survey"

Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising (Less than a year)

Pros

Advancement opportunities, Benefits , Employee Appreciation

Cons

Distance, Minimal locations, Least possible flexibility

"Learning so much, having a great time!"

Current Employee - Junior Copywriter in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Junior Copywriter in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company is apparently very difficult to break into, but once you are here it is a blast! I've seen negative reviews here... it actually made me nervous about applying at first but I realized I had nothing to lose, only gain, and I jumped right in when I received the offer of employment. I've been here for about one month, but it feels like it has been longer. My skills were put to good use immediately, and I quickly was assigned more and more work as I proved myself. Each day I create something new, learn something new and get to flex my creative muscles. Loving it here!

Cons

There are few. I will say that in the creative department, there are some people who don't have the shiniest, happiest attitudes but they mostly keep it to themselves. Many are also kind of... eccentric, so if that is an issue for you this might not be the best fit. It is also extremely fast paced, with which some may take issue. Personally, none of these minor "problems" have marred my experience at all.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! I have felt heard, supported and recognized so far and I cannot wait to see where this journey leads me.

"Nearly a decade, and counting"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Savvy and pro-active leadership with an open-door policy.
    - Well managed benefits (medical, 401K, etc.). HR team is on point.
    - Very good and reasonably applied PTO benefits (birthdays off are awesome).
    - Makes a good faith effort to increase the quality of life for it's employees.
    - Affords the ability for members to touch different parts of any business (mobility).
    - Awesome employee base. Great group of talented individuals to work with.
    - Client list and business opportunities.

Cons

- Some positions pay below industry or state standard, especially entry level.
    - Parking / Valet

Advice to Management

- Continue focusing on results, not minutes.
    - Provide better on-board training for new employees.
    - Offer training / education more relevant to specific roles, positions and projects.
    - Continue to open-door policy and keep listening, you are doing a great job.

9. "VP Account Director"

Current Employee - Vice President Account Director in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Vice President Account Director in Seattle, WA

Pros

Great people! Everyone is very helpful and supportive.

Cons

Expensive health care, it takes a big bite out of your paycheck. Out of pocket costs can get up there as well.

Advice to Management

Get better support for health car costs.

10. "Great Environment and People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pros

Great environment and people. If you are not willing to learn and gain knowledge from others around you, it's not the place you. In this industry you have to pivot at the clients request, which could be stressful. Some people can handle it, but some cannot.

Cons

Others not willing to learn around you.

11. "Fast-paced (but not unmanageable), unique internship"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Zimmerman Advertising has taught me a lot in the time I have been an intern there. Everyone that works there is unbelievably helpful and has no problem taking time out of their (very) busy schedules to help any of the interns out. We were able to meet with and get advice from anyone that we wanted to speak to, an opportunity that I feel is rare in an internship. Over the course of the 12 weeks, we have been given meaningful work and real-world experience, and I am glad to have had this internship to prepare me for my career.

Cons

The pay is on the lower end for all employees, interns included, considering the amount of work that we do.