Zimmerman Advertising Reviews | Glassdoor

Zimmerman Advertising Reviews

Updated December 6, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I'm also getting to learn a lot about the trade as well as the time frames in which they are done (in 25 reviews)

• Fast paced and quick learning environment (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Zero work/life balance does not trade well for a fancy building with a prestigious name and a game room that no one has time to hang out in (in 28 reviews)

• very low pay compared to other internships in the area (in 28 reviews)

"Kiss Your Hopes & Dreams Goodbye - Terrible Agency & Place to Work"

Current Employee - Junior Media Buyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Junior Media Buyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Zimmerman is fast-paced with the most remarkable client list of any Florida agency. You will learn a lot, and you will learn it fast.

Cons

You do not matter to this agency. Their effort to keep you around is out of fear of having to fill your position. They try to make you feel empowered, but the executives and chairman won't go as far as to look at you when you cross paths with them.

Morale is incredibly low. Within my department, there is not a single person who enjoys their job. Directors micromanage everything you do rather than trusting the supervisors and high ranking employees beneath them to manage that. You cannot even count how many times someone has an existential crisis or goes to the bathroom to cry here.

Turnover is incredibly high, and I see many employees in an endless cycle of having to start from ground zero as their superiors constantly leave. You're left to fend for yourself and teach yourself everything rather than receive proper training.

This company basically builds itself as being a stepping stone. Younger employees have no real opportunity here, and basically have to commit to an awful job for a few years to hope to get hired somewhere better.

Zimmerman does not pay you. Period. Do not come work here if you hope to sustain yourself anytime soon. Prepare yourself for a few years of debt and having to live in a moldy apartment, because you will not be able to afford anything else without a trust fund or without living with parents/family.

Work here feels like slave labor. People are coming in at 8am and leaving at 8pm on a daily basis with no overtime and a dismal paycheck. The founder works very hard to instill a work culture that is based on working as a machine 24/7. This looks great for the clients who want an agency working hard for them, but it drains the life out of each employee. At least at other agencies, the paycheck somewhat makes up for this type of lifestyle, but here it does not. What's most ironic is that the founder will always preach to pursue what makes you excited to get out of bed each day, but there is no hope or aspiration here. People that leave cannot get out fast enough, and people that are here hate their lives.

I'm realizing that the hiring process here is also more about filling vacancies rather than finding the right employees. People with no background in what they are doing are brought into jobs of all levels to do work that they were told was going to be completely different from what they are doing. Hopes come here to drown.

On top of all of this, the agency is quite mediocre. The results are never as good as you'd think, and all of our creative is awful. I'm embarrassed every time I see on of our ads out in public or on TV.

Advice to Management

Don't deprive every single person here of a life outside of their job. Also, build the foundation of your workforce rather than react to turnover.

"Jr. Account Executive"

I worked at Zimmerman Advertising full-time

Pros

cool environment and free coffee and candy

Cons

long hours, low pay, overworked

"Could it be worse? I'm sure they will pay to have this removed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Like other real reviews there aren't any pros. They are a narcissistic organization that works people until they burn out. They take good strong, skilled people and break them down until they are nothing but drones. Think boge collective

Cons

Where to start... Low pay, no work life balance, no respect, no opportunity for growth, horrific benefits that you will pay for through your nose and bad management

Advice to Management

Time to get real professionals in there. Hire some real executives from NY. Does Goldberg even know how to do math? Clearly with all the new business and no income my vote would be NO. He was a great new business person but a failure at CEO. I chose 1 ratings because it doesn't allow me to use negative #s

"Social Marketing Manager"

I worked at Zimmerman Advertising full-time

Pros

Unparalleled learning opportunities, brand exposure and resources

Cons

The company motto "24/7 seriously" is taken, well, seriously. Employees are often over worked and not compensated for additional hours, effort or responsibilities they take on. There is a such a high turnover rate most of the team members I worked had left the company within 6 months of my leaving. Why? 98% of them were burned out. Zero work/life balance does not trade well for a fancy building with a prestigious name and a game room that no one has time to hang out in. The benefits just weren't worth amount of effort that had to be put in. That being said, for anyone looking to kickstart their career, Zimmerman may be a great fit, but for a short period of time due to the learning opportunities, brand exposure and available resource. Working at the Z can serve a means to an end, but that end is rarely a long term position with advancement and fair compensation.

Advice to Management

Provide team members with a clear professional development plan. Nurture the talent you have on the team and promote when it makes sense, not when it is convenient or necessary to appease someone higher up in leadership.

"The best agency ever!"

Current Employee - Project Lead in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Project Lead in Miami, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

kindness, harmony, good atmosphere, respect, fun, friendly....

Cons

hard work, sometimes location, a lot of meetings

"Run while you can!"

Current Employee - Entry Level Account in Oakland Park, FL
    Current Employee - Entry Level Account in Oakland Park, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place for students struggling to find a job after
    school to land somewhere. Nice building and only real "big time" agency in South Florida aside from the far more reputable Alma and CPB.

Cons

Pay is insulting, you are restricted to learning a very small aspect of advertising/marketing and will not be exposed to anything else.

Account side is overstaffed, creative understaffed.

Place is a shrine to all of Jordan's accomplishments.

Place is in shambles during deadline time due to lack of organization.

If you have aspirations of going places in the agency, this is the total wrong place to go.

Have not seen a happy person below a VP level

Advice to Management

Don't work us like sweatshop workers and make everyone feel expendable for a pitiful salary

"Take the time to help and train"

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time

Pros

Fast paced
    great people
    nice offices

Cons

Basically no training and when you make a mistake management will blame and not help. Supervisors talk poorly about employees behind their backs and are quick to get rid of you with no warning.

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees and train them. It’s not an employee’s fault when something goes wrong if there was no on boarding or help given!!!

8. "Good Place to Start After College"

I worked at Zimmerman Advertising full-time

Pros

-Fun company culture
    -Great for starting in the industry
    -Opportunity to grow into other fields within the company

Cons

-Low pay- you are started out at a really low salary and then increased a bit after 6 months and then a bit more at 1 year

"Do Not Recommend. Poor Dallas Management."

Former Employee - Junior Media Planner in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Junior Media Planner in Dallas, TX

I worked at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Young culture and boss brings donuts sometimes, to attempt to think it will fix things.

Cons

Threatened and insulted privately in management offices.

Advice to Management

I don't think the Dallas office has anything good going for it. Let's put it this way---I'm not purchasing a Nissan in the future. Management actually said Mexicans loved Nissans in an ill tone, as a way to say "they" see Nissan as top of the line because they're poor and that they (mgt.) themselves would probably never own a Nissan. If you want to work for a boss who is a combination of Donald Trump and Megan Mullally, go for it . So many people leave.

10. "Associate Director"

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time

Pros

Very professional work atmosphere but people are great! Nice office and impressive client roster.

Cons

Health insurance is expensive compared to previous agencies