Zimmerman Advertising Reviews | Glassdoor

Zimmerman Advertising Reviews

Updated May 18, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • You can learn a lot in a short amount of time and there is constantly something new to learn (in 18 reviews)

• The work environment definitely makes it a place to enjoy coming to every morning, regardless if it is a Monday or Friday (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is a constant challenge, as in all client service based businesses (in 24 reviews)

• Gap in company culture--employees either love it or hate it but both tell you just as loudly, low pay at most levels for the south florida zip code (in 25 reviews)

"Account Director"

Current Employee - Account Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Account Director in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great resources available. Staff of dedicated, passionate and smart people. Fast paced and quick learning environment.

Cons

Not sure this is a con, but you should be ready to hit the ground running....actually sprinting.

Advice to Management

I enjoyed Jordan Zimmerman's orientation. I think that is a great way to kick off the job. I think we all left that day feeling empowered and inspired to give our all to our career. It would be nice if those kind of sessions, with different upper management or even guest speakers, would be available on an ongoing basis.

"An Honest Assessment."

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Always receive paychecks on time. New building is decent.

Cons

I'm not going to bring up industry issues, long hours, difficult clients, no budgets and other things that come with every agency and advertising life. And no name
    calling or personal attacks. Zimmerman has specific problems I've never experienced or heard of in any business environment. Unprofessionalism permeates every aspect and level within the agency. From people being reprimanded/threatened, singularly and in department meetings, to the CEO and President confiscating employee car keys upon late arrival and demanding an explanation for their retrieval. 24/7 isn't the issue. Poor treatment, mismanagement, low morale, outdated thinking and unrealistic expectations will always drag the agency down. Unless employees are treated with respect, it will not get better. It's a shame, all the ingredients are there, but change must start from the top. The current vision does not include all employees. There are many ways to make people feel valued and rewarded that don't cost a cent. I'm not talking about food trucks, low budget parties or wawa coffee.

Advice to Management

Hard to argue with a system that makes money. Sadly, it's at the expense of many employees. Stop nickel and diming staff and clients, get rid of cross the board, communist structured "bonuses" and reward employees based on job performance. Read a book or two on basic management, learn how to speak to people and inspire them by leading not managing. Give the occasional well-deserved day off considering most nights and weekends are sacrificed. A culture of fear is certainly effective, just don't wonder why it's extremely difficult to retain staff, entice good employees or change the HORRIFIC reputation Zimmerman has in our industry. A career is more than a paycheck to a lot of people. Some of us love what we do, and want to be proud of where we work, but it's becoming very difficult.

"Good for starting career in advertising"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Zimmerman Advertising full-time

Pros

Nice people, if you are starting out of college, most co-workers will be around your age.
    Really good internship program, gives valuable experience working in the different departments.
    Cool building, fun activities for employees sometimes like an ice cream truck in the summer.

Cons

Very little creativity when it comes to client work, feels really repetitive.
    Tons of turn over, it felt like there was 3-5 new people every week, most people leave after a year or two, even those at executive level don't last very long.
    Low pay.

"The Sausage Factory of Advertising"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have central air conditioning.

Cons

There's no need to expand on the legion of bad blood this outfit is already famous for, but I will. I think Starbucks and Denny's has less turnover than this house of shlock advertising. This place is a gaudy temple to its narcissistic, deranged, ego maniacal founder down to the quotes of the Dear Leader emblazoned on the walls of the offices. No one in this place seems happy. The work/life balance has to be the absolute worst in the industry and the disconnect between the creatives, upper management and accounting is laughable. And to make matters even worse, you are forced to have your car valeted because there aren't enough spots for the number of employees. They double and triple park your vehicle, then, at the end of the night, you get to have the pleasure of having to seek out your car on your own and hope they haven't dinged it up. Good times!

Advice to Management

Close up shop and go play golf.

6. "Survey"

Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising (Less than a year)

Pros

Advancement opportunities, Benefits , Employee Appreciation

Cons

Distance, Minimal locations, Least possible flexibility

"There is a reason there is so much turnover"

Former Employee - Media Supervisor in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Media Supervisor in Dallas, TX

I worked at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay was decent, the benefits were ok, free parking was nice and there were some really smart people.

Cons

Lack of leadership from management. Systems training was very poor. Oppressive environment. Lots and lots of turnover.

Advice to Management

Spend more time cultivating and training younger employees. Encourage employees to ask questions and learn the business. Stop being so negative.

"I love my job!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pros

Working for Zimmerman has taught me so much as a professional. This is the hardest I've ever worked in my career but the end result is always worth it and I look at every challenge as an opportunity for growth. I've had the pleasure of meeting some of the most amazing people and have worked with very talented individuals side by side. I love the fact that the agency is always buzzing with events. The employee perks are great. Our philanthropic endeavors make me proud to be a part of the company. The new facility is amazing and promotes creativity in a relaxed environment. Recruiters are constantly trying to poach me because I have Zimmerman on my resume but it'll take a lot more than money to get me to leave. With 17 years of experience in the industry, I've never come across a culture quite like this. Its a perfect fit for me.

Cons

The cost of insurance is too high for associates with families. The turnover can be unsettling.

Advice to Management

Give honest constructive feedback regarding work performance on a regular basis. Collaborate with the associate regarding their growth and future with the agency. I think that with these small gestures associates would be more willing to stay and can avoid losing good talent that we took the time and effort to groom to other agencies.

"Jr. Strategist"

Current Employee - Junior Strategist in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Junior Strategist in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pros

Close-knit and extremely friendly team and management. You can learn a lot in a short amount of time and there is constantly something new to learn. Our ideas are taken seriously and are always appreciated by management.
    The work that you do is fun but challenging and relevant to what is currently going on in the world and business practices.

Cons

Pay could definitely be better.

"A Nightmare"

Former Employee - Social Media Specialist in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Social Media Specialist in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Met a couple of really nice people, Cool Building

Cons

Salary, Culture, Management, Lack of Diversity, Everything else

Advice to Management

You're all white old men stuck in your ways and it trickles down to the upper management. It's a nasty cycle of fear, passive aggressive behavior and the ever revolving door.

"Learning so much, having a great time!"

Current Employee - Junior Copywriter in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Junior Copywriter in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Zimmerman Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company is apparently very difficult to break into, but once you are here it is a blast! I've seen negative reviews here... it actually made me nervous about applying at first but I realized I had nothing to lose, only gain, and I jumped right in when I received the offer of employment. I've been here for about one month, but it feels like it has been longer. My skills were put to good use immediately, and I quickly was assigned more and more work as I proved myself. Each day I create something new, learn something new and get to flex my creative muscles. Loving it here!

Cons

There are few. I will say that in the creative department, there are some people who don't have the shiniest, happiest attitudes but they mostly keep it to themselves. Many are also kind of... eccentric, so if that is an issue for you this might not be the best fit. It is also extremely fast paced, with which some may take issue. Personally, none of these minor "problems" have marred my experience at all.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! I have felt heard, supported and recognized so far and I cannot wait to see where this journey leads me.