Zimmerman Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Mary Blevins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Field Service Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Zimmerman Associates full-time

Pros

People oriented, they listen to their employee needs and make appropriate changes. Team focused. Comensated well, never micromanaged, need time off you got it. Pleasant coworkers and great work environment.

Cons

Government Contract work is not good job security, the game keeps changing, and ulcers get bigger each year.

2. "Administrator"

Current Employee - Administrator in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Administrator in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Zimmerman Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

10 holidays off and paid every year.

Cons

No raise or bonus in the 3 years I've worked here.

3. "Good money for the area"

Current Employee - General Clerk III in Martinsburg, WV
    Current Employee - General Clerk III in Martinsburg, WV

I have been working at Zimmerman Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Full benefits, room for movement, easier work, above average job security, stable unbiased pay grades, amicable co-workers, semi-flexible shifts.

Cons

Some unpleasant HR reps, no wage negotiation, occasional government shutdown layoff, boring paper pusher job, no raises unless promoted, all stick no carrot.

Advice to Management

We need a major morale change. I'm not sure how to go about it but combine the constant demand for increased production with no change in wages and the increasing cost of living in the panhandle and you have a sinking ship. Some people can't afford to work here any more and while I know that's more the GSA's problem, I want the morale boost to hear that my company is fighting for me or something.

4. "Average rating"

I have been working at Zimmerman Associates full-time

Pros

Human resources is highly responsive

Cons

Benefits not comparable to other contractors, doesn't allow overtime

"Hypocrisy at best"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Zimmerman Associates full-time

Pros

The job is easy and the stress of it isnt high

Cons

Hypocrisy and favoritism. If one isnt a kiss up or good friend of upper management then dont believe for a second that there could be a thought of promotion. The promoted were people who are incompetent, save for a few, and who act as if it is high school and a clique. And now it is filling up with pure friends and family, so any drama that can exist is brought to everyone’s attention. Do not even try to complain about the way one manager or coworker is treating you because the moment you do and it happens to be the upper management’s friend or kiss up they will tell them what you complained about and make one feel intimidated. The worst is the eay they pick and choose who can do what and cannot. A manager was preaching about security and how we cannot let people in unless they have the clearance to enter the building and our section, however, when it seems that no one is really there lets her daughters come in and give a tour and let them sit wherever.

Advice to Management

Stop all the cliqueing type attitude. Hold the managers to a higher standard and stop the hostile environment that currently exists. It is clear that while some may find it great, a vast majority may feel intimidated to even say anything due to upper management telling others about what was said in confidence.

"Family and Friends One Stop Shop"

I have been working at Zimmerman Associates full-time

Pros

Decent pay, Low stress, Nice location

Cons

The job itself is not stressful at all. In fact, the work is very easy and redundant. There is room to move up in the company since they make sure to hire within. The issue stems from the obvious favoritism and open doors for friends and family of the upper management team. I haven't been here long and the trend is sickingly obvious. If you know someone, you're hired. If you REALLY know someone, you're promoted. The rest are left behind to watch the sorority that they call management giggle together in corners, sing and yell loudly throughout the office and take long lunches on the regular. (This is not to take away from the FEW who are promoted/hired based on their work alone.)

Advice to Management

Take courses on ethics and equal opportunity and stop hiring your friends and family. It makes for a seriously hostile work environment.

"jr quality control analyst"

I have been working at Zimmerman Associates full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

My peers are enjoyable to work with and always a pleasure to work with. I enjoy the experience with my coworkers but I don't really respect management because they only look out for their friends. If you're not on the friends and family plan you can cancel Christmas

Cons

Work is boring and mundane. Favoritism amongst the staff. Nothing but friends got promoted. Lowballed the pay from Diamond solutions. Benefits are expensive and not that good.

Advice to Management

Stop choosing favorites it's painfully obvious honestly. I see the staff changing more rapidly as people are hightailing out of there

8. "Contract Work at US Mint"

Former Employee - Reviewer (Index Specialist) in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Reviewer (Index Specialist) in Washington, DC

I worked at Zimmerman Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly leadership and management, Good office culture

Cons

Jobs aren't really for the social butterflies

"A consistent and successful long running government contractor"

I have been working at Zimmerman Associates full-time

Pros

They provide NARA training (National Archives Records Administration certification), tuition reimbursement for school, paid holidays, medical, paid vacation accrual, sick leave, and paid days off for government holidays unlike some contractors. They offer incentives such as "employee of the month" and employee appreciation meetings depending on the task order you are assigned to. There are many ways to move up in the company. Can help provide access to many positions within Health and Human Services if utilized correctly.

Cons

There are widespread complaints of a "glass ceiling" dependent on race and favoritism. Disputes with project managers often remain unresolved with little instruction or assistance from human resource. Contract renewals create periods of flux and uncertainty, where one may become in danger of becoming transferred to a new subcontractor (benefits are restarted and tenure is often lost). Unscrupulous dealings with employees in the past, including employment termination based on medical condition and age. A habit of using subcontractors and discarding them upon contract renewal.

10. "Library Technician"

I have been working at Zimmerman Associates full-time

Pros

Responsive, friendly, approachable, diligent, and attentive

Cons

Work varies by position and department, so job descriptions for jobs posted are vague and uninformative.