Zimmerman Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Mary Blevins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Library Technician"

I have been working at Zimmerman Associates full-time

Pros

Responsive, friendly, approachable, diligent, and attentive

Cons

Work varies by position and department, so job descriptions for jobs posted are vague and uninformative.

2. "A consistent and successful long running government contractor"

I have been working at Zimmerman Associates full-time

Pros

They provide NARA training (National Archives Records Administration certification), tuition reimbursement for school, paid holidays, medical, paid vacation accrual, sick leave, and paid days off for government holidays unlike some contractors. They offer incentives such as "employee of the month" and employee appreciation meetings depending on the task order you are assigned to. There are many ways to move up in the company. Can help provide access to many positions within Health and Human Services if utilized correctly.

Cons

There are widespread complaints of a "glass ceiling" dependent on race and favoritism. Disputes with project managers often remain unresolved with little instruction or assistance from human resource. Contract renewals create periods of flux and uncertainty, where one may become in danger of becoming transferred to a new subcontractor (benefits are restarted and tenure is often lost). Unscrupulous dealings with employees in the past, including employment termination based on medical condition and age. A habit of using subcontractors and discarding them upon contract renewal.

3. "compliance analyst"

I have been working at Zimmerman Associates full-time

Pros

very flexible with hours

Cons

micro managed, very little independent work and your pay is very low for the area

4. "Field Service Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Zimmerman Associates full-time

Pros

People oriented, they listen to their employee needs and make appropriate changes. Team focused. Comensated well, never micromanaged, need time off you got it. Pleasant coworkers and great work environment.

Cons

Government Contract work is not good job security, the game keeps changing, and ulcers get bigger each year.

5. "Business Analyst"

Current Employee - Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Business Analyst

I have been working at Zimmerman Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company is well organized and efficient.

Cons

None experienced at this point.

"Stay far away for your own good"

I worked at Zimmerman Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good compensation and benefits in general

Cons

ZERO job security.
    Say you have a Peter principle type supervisor at a federal client site who thinks work is not progressing fast enough on a project. Even though he is the one who created the many roadblocks that are slowing the project down in the first place. He decides maybe you're the one that's slowing the project down, even though you're killing yourself trying to get the work done, because it could never have been the incompetent decisions he made. So he contacts the ZAI CEO.
    Now at ZAI you have a passive-aggressive CEO who will instruct the ZAI human resources department to invent a work of utter fiction for your separation letter in hopes of appeasing the client. Now all of them get to continue providing for their children and you're out the door.
    It's shameful really because your federal tax dollars are being used to support this odious enterprise. And don't even get me started on the way they fudge their process improvement certifications/assessments in hopes of getting one over on the government, because they certainly have no intention of using any of those processes day to day. All in all a place to stay well clear of.

Advice to Management

Maybe purchase a book on how to be a decent human being?

Zimmerman Associates Response

Feb 13, 2017 – VP Bus. Dev.

While it is never easy to let an employee go for performance issues, when the client requests they be replaced the company is required to do so. We do not take lightly the impact a dismissal has on... More

7. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mullica Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mullica Hill, NJ

I have been working at Zimmerman Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Corporate office has friendly open atmosphere. Great staff retention.

Cons

Limited room for growth. Salaries can remain stagnate do to government contracts.

"Could Be Worse"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Zimmerman Associates (More than a year)

Pros

The pros that I have experienced with ZAI is the independence that is given to employees. You will hardly see your manager or anyone from corporate. The holiday party always have free food.

Cons

Having to pay to attend the holiday party has left a sour taste in many people's mouths. Like everyone else has mentioned, ZAI does not pay well. Of course they pay according to federal guidelines based on your title aligned with the federal labor rates. The secret is that they get contracts at a very low bid, ergo, you get paid less and they increase their profits by paying you maybe 40% of what they are billing the government. Instead of explaining the low pay away by saying that they pay you the minimum wage for your title, they should look into ways to pay more especially since there is no real raises, no bonuses and the medical coverage is crazy expensive. I think the responses from corporate seem to ignore the fact that people are more informed and understand the business, they just don't like it. I did not seek ZAI out as an employer, they acquired the contract from my former employer who paid me a lot better and had very good medical coverage.

Other than that, there is absolutely no room for growth I guess unless you get a kudo. I did not know that kudos resulted in rewards, I will bring this up at the next meeting so that everyone knows and not just a select few. I guess this is an example of the clique culture that others have discussed.

Advice to Management

Listen and understand instead of being defensive. Do not assume that everyone know information that is not being disseminated.

Zimmerman Associates Response

Nov 4, 2016 – VP Bus. Dev.

To address your concerns:
    1. Paying for the Holiday Party – there is no charge for employees to attend the holiday party. We charge a nominal fee ($20) for a guest. The cost to ZAI for each attendee... More

"Employee"

Pros

Have on personal space in the office

Cons

Management don't really seem to care about how employees feel. They need to be more considerate and hands on when there are issues in the workplace. Pay rate can also be better but that most likely won't happen. Also telework would be great because all we do is sit at the computer all day. Rarely ever see the supervisor.

Zimmerman Associates Response

Nov 4, 2016 – VP Bus. Dev.

We would encourage you reach out to our HR department regarding your concern that you rarely see your supervisor, as all managers are encouraged to interact with their employees on a regular basis... More

"Compliance Inspection Analyst"

Current Employee - Compliance Inspection Analyst in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Compliance Inspection Analyst in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Zimmerman Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment and very flexible work schedule.

Cons

No need to actually be n the office however you are not able to work from home. No a company that is up on technology.

Mar 30, 2016 – VP

Most of our government customers require that staff be onsite to perform work. This is made clear to employees when they apply for and accept positions. We do not have the ability to implement... More