Zimmerman Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Mary Blevins

1. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mullica Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mullica Hill, NJ

I have been working at Zimmerman Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Corporate office has friendly open atmosphere. Great staff retention.

Cons

Limited room for growth. Salaries can remain stagnate do to government contracts.

"Could Be Worse"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Zimmerman Associates (More than a year)

Pros

The pros that I have experienced with ZAI is the independence that is given to employees. You will hardly see your manager or anyone from corporate. The holiday party always have free food.

Cons

Having to pay to attend the holiday party has left a sour taste in many people's mouths. Like everyone else has mentioned, ZAI does not pay well. Of course they pay according to federal guidelines based on your title aligned with the federal labor rates. The secret is that they get contracts at a very low bid, ergo, you get paid less and they increase their profits by paying you maybe 40% of what they are billing the government. Instead of explaining the low pay away by saying that they pay you the minimum wage for your title, they should look into ways to pay more especially since there is no real raises, no bonuses and the medical coverage is crazy expensive. I think the responses from corporate seem to ignore the fact that people are more informed and understand the business, they just don't like it. I did not seek ZAI out as an employer, they acquired the contract from my former employer who paid me a lot better and had very good medical coverage.

Other than that, there is absolutely no room for growth I guess unless you get a kudo. I did not know that kudos resulted in rewards, I will bring this up at the next meeting so that everyone knows and not just a select few. I guess this is an example of the clique culture that others have discussed.

Advice to Management

Listen and understand instead of being defensive. Do not assume that everyone know information that is not being disseminated.

Zimmerman Associates Response

Nov 4, 2016 – VP Bus. Dev.

To address your concerns: 1. Paying for the Holiday Party – there is no charge for employees to attend the holiday party. We charge a nominal fee ($20) for a guest. The cost to ZAI for each attendee ... More

3. "Compliance Inspection Analyst"

Current Employee - Compliance Inspection Analyst in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Compliance Inspection Analyst in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Zimmerman Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment and very flexible work schedule.

Cons

No need to actually be n the office however you are not able to work from home. No a company that is up on technology.

Mar 30, 2016 – VP

Most of our government customers require that staff be onsite to perform work. This is made clear to employees when they apply for and accept positions. We do not have the ability to implement ... More

"Low paying with excellent benefits"

Former Employee - Library Technician in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Library Technician in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Zimmerman Associates (More than a year)

Pros

Great medical and dental benefits

Cons

Extremely low paying with very low yearly increases.

Advice to Management

Consider the cost of living for employees when negotiating contracts. Use the money spent on the Holiday party and gifts to compensate employees. Most employees would probably like to pay their rent or mortgage than have a party.

Mar 30, 2016 – VP

Employees who are in positions covered by the Service Contract Act are paid according to the DOL labor rate scale.

6. "CIO"

Current Employee - CIO in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - CIO in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Zimmerman Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Honest hard working from the top down. A great place to work.

Cons

The federal government contractor environment is very difficult at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the hard work.

"People and employees do not come first"

Current Employee - Program Assistant in College Park, MD
    Current Employee - Program Assistant in College Park, MD

I have been working at Zimmerman Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ZAI is government contracting company so most of their contracts are at government facilities. It puts in a place to network and meet new people.

Cons

The challenges of working with ZAI is that they do not take care of there employees. I have worked in my current position for two years. ZAI took over the contract a year ago. The contract that i am under is the easiest contract a contracting company could negotiate with the government. Our pay was based on the tasks that we perform. The tasks and the daily operations of the position have increased 25-30%. There is no incentive to work and you don't see a representative from the company. They will not consider raises for employees and they will use you to get the job done.

Advice to Management

Think about your employees and negotiate better contracts.

8. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Computer Operator in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Computer Operator in Washington, DC

I have been working at Zimmerman Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Caring HR, Advancement, encouraged growth and development, great benefits.

Cons

employee input could have been handled a little better.

9. "Company is great but working offsite as a subcontractor is bananas"

I have been working at Zimmerman Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working directly for the company is great. The benefits are good

Cons

Pay for the project I am working on is high school pay for loads of work. Never work as a subcontractor. Make sure ZAI soley holds the contract. ZAI employees are receiving unfair treatment. No reflection on ZAI

10. "Stay far away for your own good"

I worked at Zimmerman Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good compensation and benefits in general

Cons

ZERO job security.
    Say you have a Peter principle type supervisor at a federal client site who thinks work is not progressing fast enough on a project. Even though he is the one who created the many roadblocks that are slowing the project down in the first place. He decides maybe you're the one that's slowing the project down, even though you're killing yourself trying to get the work done, because it could never have been the incompetent decisions he made. So he contacts the ZAI CEO.
    Now at ZAI you have a passive-aggressive CEO who will instruct the ZAI human resources department to invent a work of utter fiction for your separation letter in hopes of appeasing the client. Now all of them get to continue providing for their children and you're out the door.
    It's shameful really because your federal tax dollars are being used to support this odious enterprise. And don't even get me started on the way they fudge their process improvement certifications/assessments in hopes of getting one over on the government, because they certainly have no intention of using any of those processes day to day. All in all a place to stay well clear of.

Advice to Management

Maybe purchase a book on how to be a decent human being?

Zimmerman Associates Response

Feb 13, 2017 – VP Bus. Dev.

While it is never easy to let an employee go for performance issues, when the client requests they be replaced the company is required to do so. We do not take lightly the impact a dismissal has on ... More

"Employee"

Pros

Have on personal space in the office

Cons

Management don't really seem to care about how employees feel. They need to be more considerate and hands on when there are issues in the workplace. Pay rate can also be better but that most likely won't happen. Also telework would be great because all we do is sit at the computer all day. Rarely ever see the supervisor.

Zimmerman Associates Response

Nov 4, 2016 – VP Bus. Dev.

We would encourage you reach out to our HR department regarding your concern that you rarely see your supervisor, as all managers are encouraged to interact with their employees on a regular basis ... More