Zing Studios Reviews | Glassdoor

Zing Studios Reviews

Updated Apr 24, 2019

Found 10 reviews

4.7
Zing Studios CEO Jeff Schroeder (no image)
Jeff Schroeder
  1. "Amazing Team of Brilliant Developers"

I worked at Zing Studios full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is an awesome team of very passionate developers with substantial industry experience. If you're looking for a company that respects your knowledge and talents, Zing is the place for you. Everyone at the company is very supportive and talking about new technologies and processes is highly encouraged. If you're willing to step up, you can make a real difference.

Cons

Pay is below industry average for the area. Workloads fluctuate quite a bit, and unless you get assigned to one of the few large projects at any given time, expect to do a lot of filler and UI work.

Zing Studios2019-04-24
  2. "Great place with great people!"

I worked at Zing Studios full-time for more than a year

Pros

Wide variety of projects to work on, and some really cool clients. The entire staff gets along really well. If you're a versatile programmer, you'll find opportunities to flex all of your muscles here. The owner Jeff defines grace under fire, and I've learned a lot about leadership through him. I truly enjoyed my time at Zing Studios.

Cons

No paid break time (there is flex time, however) and you'll have to find your own health insurance (there is a stipend provided). But that's it.

Zing Studios2016-11-10
  3. "A Bright Future"

I have been working at Zing Studios full-time

Pros

-quality co-workers, top-notch development -13+ years of continued work and year-over-year growth ensures stability -bonuses 2x yearly -actual raises 2x yearly -flex time -No technical debt or garbage code to wade through, nor are you ever encouraged to write "expedient" (sloppy) code to get something out the door -Zing is, in a word, giving. More than fair to its employees and clients (which makes for... smooth waters). There's no consternation from clients or fellow employees. -Committed to a sane work environment. i.e. hard work by intelligent people, NOT overworked by alarmists and poor planning - Open communication allows for a solid foundation of trust, employees aren't muttering under their breath -Paid outings are good for moral

Cons

-no corporate ladder to climb

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Though your ping pong service-receive needs a little work.

Zing Studios2013-06-13
  4. "Very happy."

I have been working at Zing Studios full-time

Pros

I really enjoy the casual environment, the level of quality expected from each employee, and the spirit of being a valued employee I get from Zing. I've gotten a number of opportunities to branch out and try new technologies, explore different techniques and expanding my skillset; it's nice to feel I'm cultivating my career instead of stagnating in old knowledge. Instead of being given just the bare minimum benefits... to keep employees around, I feel like my health and lifestyle are also growing, and I'm able to spend ample time outside of work (no 80-hour work weeks here).

Cons

A lot of the stress of the job comes from interacting with clients - who can be quite inflexible at times - but meeting and exceeding their expectations consistently is what makes us invaluable to our clients. The office is in a new-ish development, so there isn't much in the area within walking distance, though downtown Longmont is about 5 minutes away by car.

Zing Studios2013-03-18
  5. "A Fun and Challenging Work Environment"

Current Employee - Web Developer in Longmont, CO

I have been working at Zing Studios full-time

Pros

Zing is by far the best company I've ever worked for. It all starts at the top with the owner. He respects all of the employees and values their input. Being a developer himself, he knows what it's like to be in the trenches and is always there to answer any questions or back you up if any problems arise. The work itself is interesting and diverse. I usually work on several different types of projects each... day so it never gets monotonous. And there’s no micromanaging going on so I have the freedom to manage my own projects and clients. Most of the time I work directly with the client which I prefer over several levels of project managers. However, there needs to be some organization so we've recently hired a project manager to help us with scheduling, obtaining materials, etc., but never to tell us how to do our job. The perks and benefits are very good especially when you consider the size of the company. We have semi annual reviews with bonuses. A good portion of our home Internet and cell phone are paid for because we get to work from home on Fridays. And even equipment for our home is provided. The company contributes 10% on top of our salary to an IRA without us having to match it. And the salary is very competitive. The environment can be fast-paced but we always have time to unwind with a game of ping pong or foosball or a company sponsored activity, like heading to the mountains for a day of skiing. And most importantly, it’s very rare to work long nights or weekends so there is an excellent work/life balance.

Cons

Since Zing is a small company, there is limited opportunity for career advancement. And people who want to be shielded from their clients or work on one project at a time will not do well at Zing.

Zing Studios2013-02-26
  6. "Welcome To The Big Leagues Of Development"

Current Employee - Developer

I have been working at Zing Studios full-time

Pros

Zing Studios is owned and run by an experienced developer, and it shows. It's a fast paced environment where the team is kept lean and small, and excellence is demanded of everyone. There's very little hand holding or shoulders to cry on when things get difficult, so if you're looking for a place where you can be the weak link or slack off while staying under management's radar, look elsewhere. However, if you... are looking for a place where: * Talent and hard work are rewarded, while those who hold the team back are weeded out * Management realizes that investing a few hundred dollars in equipment pays back in developer productivity * You're given the freedom to effectively manage your time and client tasks as you please * You don't have seven levels of project and business managers questioning your expertise on topics they don't understand * Your feedback on techniques, technologies, and business processes is encouraged and acted upon then Zing is a great place to be. The company is inherently structured to give developers all the tools and freedom they need to produce great products in both individual and small team settings. So if you aren't a great developer, you're probably going to feel like everything is unstructured and you have no support (read: stronger developers to lean on). However, if you are a really great developer, then Zing provides an ideal environment for you to thrive and continue to grow (while also having a bit of fun along the way), and a great group of peers to enjoy the ride with, which is about all any developer can ask from a company.

Cons

The company headquarters are in Longmont, which isn't as nice a town to work in (in terms of lunch and coffee places, traffic and commuting, etc) as some of the other towns in the region (Boulder). Also, rules enforcement on the Foosball table is spotty at best.

Zing Studios2013-02-13
  7. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Director of Technology in Longmont, CO

I have been working at Zing Studios full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Even though Zing is a small company, we play in the big leagues. There are opportunities to work with some really great clients, and the work we do is challenging and interesting. It seems there's always a new problem to tackle, a new approach to try, and a chance to build something cool.

Cons

This is a fast-paced environment where priorities can change daily, and you may be juggling three or four projects in a single week. Some people really thrive on that, and in that case it's a lot of fun and keeps things interesting, but it's not suited to every developer.

Advice to Management

It would be great to do more company activities outside of work.

Zing Studios2013-02-06
  8. "Awesomesauce."

Current Employee - Web Developer in Longmont, CO

I have been working at Zing Studios full-time

Pros

Zing is 90% developers which includes the owner. This is great because it makes the company very developer centric in how it functions and makes decisions. In my experience developers aren't micro-managed at Zing. They are given the tools, trust, and responsibility to get projects done which enables the developers to do their jobs very effectively. Developers also get to work directly with clients without a layer... of project management in between. I've found that allows me to work faster and build better projects. The bonus program is really awesome and salary is great! Also, I've never been expected to work overtime or on weekends. Vacation time is very good as well. Work hours are flexible and we work from home on Fridays. We have table tennis and Foosball which are a great way to blow off some steam or just get away from the computer for awhile.

Cons

Because Zing is a small company a group health plan is really hard to swing. A stipend is provided so employees can get their own insurance instead. Depending on your situation this can be good or bad.

Zing Studios2013-02-07
  9. "No Structure"

I worked at Zing Studios full-time

Pros

Good fringe benefits, semi-annual performance reviews, and work from home days once a week. The owner is very technologically savvy, and open to share his views. Great work/life balance!

Cons

Structure for job management and team collaboration are not good, and there is poor mediation with the clients when things start to go south. Undershooting deadlines and late client files are common practice, which create a ton of stress on the employees who deal with clients. The technology and best practices used is as old is a least 10 years old, and the owner doesn't want to change this. Medial benefits are a... joke. If you want to be a web developer there are many other places to go, this is a great place for interns not real devs.

Advice to Management

Get some real project management, get someone who can put a client fires out, don't be a fade of new technology, and implementing it in your system. If you feel the system is fragile and can't be updated, implement a common testing best practice, like unit testing. Get a group medical plan.

Zing Studios2012-10-13

Zing Studios Response

February 7, 2013Director of Technology

The advice offered by this person is legitimate, and in fact most of the things suggested have been implemented. We now have a project manager who handles scheduling, materials, and client coordination; we're rebuilding our entire infrastructure on the open-source Symfony framework; and we're creating unit tests for all new code. Our process is much smoother now, and we continue to be flexible and adaptable to the changing needs of our clients and the web development world in general.

10. "Truly a privilege to work here."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO

I have been working at Zing Studios full-time for less than a year

Pros

Zing gives you everything you need to get the job done efficiently. Zing puts its employees first in such a way that you are tripping over yourself to return the favor and make Zing even more successful.

Cons

If you like traditional companies, or want a corporate role, look elsewhere

Advice to Management

See, here's the thing, I don't have to post any advice to management on some website. Our owner is right down the hall, and always approachable and listening.

Zing Studios2012-08-30