Zingermans Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ari Weinzweig

"Awesome people Awesome vibes"

Current Employee - Catering Event in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Catering Event in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Zingermans part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing people amazing environment, fun classes for training

Cons

none at all they're great

Advice to Management

Keep doing watcha doin

"Great company structure, lots of favoritism"

Former Employee - Event Coordinator in Dexter, MI
    Former Employee - Event Coordinator in Dexter, MI

I worked at Zingermans full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Endless amounts of upward mobility, great culture, competitive pay, owners listen to employees

Cons

Lots of favoritism, chain of command gets muddled with lots of 'fluff' titles, unclear expectations

Advice to Management

Work on communication and removing obstacles for every day

"Decent Job but Prefer Another"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Zingermans part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food, decent hours, paid on lunch breaks, paid training, 10% discount

Cons

Responsible for a shift regardless of personal schedule or other responsibilities

Cliquey culture

Pretentious management and supervisors

Run into plenty of self-righteous, impossible to please people

The culture of being constantly positive feels superficial because you're forced to broadcast positives on the hour and promote team spirit in every single little thing. I'm not a bubbly employee, but I do my job as productively as most. Working there is off-putting because I've been treated like a pre-schooler for asking questions, making a mistake, or not knowing exactly how to do something. I did a job I had never done before that was very involved, did it swiftly and accurately, and didn't do the last part of the job because a regular employee volunteered to do it. The supervisor later chastised me for not doing the other part of the job and the regular employee acted like he never said anything. Guess some people just don't honor their word there for whatever reason. Asked management for assistance in other matters related to working there and they never responded or ignored me.

Working a minimum wage job in retail is far less than ideal for me, but it's even worse when management and supervisors automatically assume you're not an intelligent being. I needed the money so I stuck it out, but I don't think it's a good place to work for someone who's more concerned about productivity and efficiency over a personality spewing with happiness and an over-the-top
    out-going attitude.

Advice to Management

Don't ignore people trying to be productive and help themselves because they're "beneath" you and your job. Don't treat people like animals who should be worked aggressively instead of respected or heard.

5. "Good Food, Good Service, Good Finance"

Current Employee - Service Star in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Service Star in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Zingermans part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Zingermans does what it can to create a fun, productive and positive environment. At Mail Order, lunches are included at no cost to employees. I work seasonally so I am not sure if this is year round. There is also an employee discount at Mail Order and other Zingermans businesses after training is completed. Employees are empowered to do what it takes to make the customer happy.

Cons

There is a super strict late/absence policy. If you are at your assigned location 1 minute late, it is a strike. You get 3 strikes before termination. If you don't call before you're late, then it is a no call/no show and grounds for immediate termination.

Advice to Management

The culture at Zingermans is pretty awesome. You pay employees well and empower them to do their jobs. You also reinforce the importance of a positive work environment by walking the walk. Keep up the great work.

6. "I've been working at the deli for 2 years and have loved the people, the professional development, and the food!"

Current Employee - Front of House Service in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Front of House Service in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Zingermans part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Care from managers for your learning, job skills training, and flexibility in scheduling. The atmosphere is very supportive and there are no stupid questions if you don't know how to do something

Cons

Sometimes the work can get really busy on weekends and it may seem overwhelming for those just starting. Also, not a great place if you aren't a people person.

Advice to Management

Periodic meetings with employees one on one are great and having help with day to day tasks is encouraging

7. "Great Company!"

Former Employee - Catering Team Member in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Catering Team Member in Ann Arbor, MI

Pros

Fun place to work.Very diverse happy people .Management is great and will listen to your ideas.

Cons

I cannot think of any negatives

Advice to Management

Keep up the great job.You are the best most organized company around.

"a pretty good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Zingermans full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work with great people that really do care about the food and the service that they produce. The owners, Paul and Ari are inspiring owners. In some jobs, you have lots of opportunity for growth. Not many culinary jobs offer such great insurance and 401K. There's also lots of local business discounts. A definite plus.

Cons

Zingerman's really seems to appreciate a constant "happy" person rather than a productive, efficient person. Even if that person makes a lot of mistakes. That's frustrating to other employees.
    The owners are working hard to pay their employees more, but it's extremely hard work and sometimes it doesn't feel like enough. Hopefully they'll get there.

Advice to Management

Keep working on paying more the best you can. Happy employees sell more.

9. "*Insert Review Title*"

Former Employee - Food Runner in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Food Runner in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Zingermans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The guests are great.
    The pay is fair.
    Discount on food during a shift.

Cons

Its very easy to spend all your money there.
    The management can be iffy.
    Every manager will tell you to do something a different way.

Advice to Management

Try to stay on the same page as other managers

10. "Best company I have ever worked for."

Current Employee - Catering Waitress in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Catering Waitress in Ann Arbor, MI

Pros

They really value everyone's opinion and care about all employees happiness. It is truly a joy to come in to work.

Cons

Sometimes there are long hours on catering shifts.

Advice to Management

None.

"Warehouse is not a good Xmas temp job"

Former Employee - Holiday Temp in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Holiday Temp in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Zingermans part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free meals, paid for meal time

Cons

Poor management, contempt for temp employees, self-congratulatory, smug culture. They treat temps as though they're of subnormal intelligence and semi-criminal. The management's like that at Target, only more pretentious. I don't care if Mario Batali loves your bacon--there's no prestige attached to be working for a buck or so above minimum wage for a bunch of hipsters, and no one's particularly lucky to be working there for a few weeks. Warehouse supervisors and management screw up minor things constantly, which results in not getting paid for inefficiencies in punch-in, last-minute shift cancellations due to poor planning. Not surprising for s a crappy, poorly paid temp job, but they're so proud of themselves and continue to reinforce how lucky you are to be working there. If you need the hours, don't volunteer for the night crew--that's where they cut back on hours or cancel shifts at the last minute if they've overestimated need for workers.

Advice to Management

Be satisfied with workers who are polite and reasonably efficient, and stop with the team spirit stuff. It's insulting.