Zingermans Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Ari Weinzweig

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great food, great service, great people"

I worked at Zingermans full-time

Pros

Wonderful co-workers and work atmosphere! The management care about employees and their goals to move within the community of businesses.

Cons

It can be demanding work like anything in the service industry.

Advice to Management

I would recommend more classes to ensure employee wellbeing. Not simply food safety, but also how to be kind to one's body when working in the food industry.

2. "Don't buy the hype"

I worked at Zingermans part-time

Pros

Paid lunches (if you can make it through the line in time)
    Discount on company products

Cons

They refused to accommodate my physical disability, given that I was a seasonal mail order employee
    Syrupy, faux-positive attitude from management is extremely grating

Advice to Management

Jump in a volcano

"Smoke and Mirrors"

Current Employee - Front of House Staff in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Front of House Staff in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Zingermans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You learn a lot about interesting products and have positive interactions with loyal guests and excited newcomers.

Cons

There is little room for advancement, the training process is excessively convoluted, and the pay is significantly less than what you would find at the many tipping restaurant establishments in Ann Arbor in a similar price range.

Advice to Management

Simplify training and provide more rewards to employees adding greater value to the company.

4. "Great company mission"

I worked at Zingermans full-time

Pros

Great staff, fun team atmosphere, free food! Great management systems

Cons

None that come to mind, tough to only be a seasonal employee

5. "A great company to start a food career, not much room for advancement."

Former Employee - Retail Sales in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Retail Sales in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Zingermans full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Eating well, inspiring owners, employees even at the bottom of the totem pole are indoctrinated to feel part of the companies vision.

Cons

Pay was low for Ann Arbor's cost of living, the job becomes your life, not much room for advancement, retail hours with hectic football weekends/holidays

"It's not what everyone thinks it is."

I worked at Zingermans full-time

Pros

great tools for giving great service to your coworkers and customers.

Cons

- pay WAY below the standard in the area on all levels
    - benefits are not great. NO sick days and no holidays (except two) off
    - very high expectations for low pay

I worked with the company for many years, and for a lot of them I LOVED my job, I loved the people I worked with and I loved the culture. As time went on and the company grew, and the owners started taking interest in things outside running Zingerman's, things REALLY started going downhill. What was originally an environment where ANYONE could challenge things and make contributions turned into a place where I feared saying ANYTHING that challenged what was going on for fear of being reprimanded. I repeatedly saw coworkers promoted into management positions despite multiple complaints about their performance and behavior. My department was also the subject of blatant abuse by some of the partners including being berated and called out in meetings.

Beyond the hostile environment, the expectations at Zingerman's are VERY high. If you're in a higher level position, you're expected to teach a class, attend classes and keep an endless schedule of meetings on TOP of doing the actual job you're hired for. Towards the end of my time there, I was doing maybe a couple of hours of work and the rest was spent going to meetings or teaching. All this being said, it might be a tolerable place to work temporarily if the pay were commensurate to that of similar organizations in the area.

Advice to Management

- the classic practice what you preach. give good service to your coworkers and treat them with respect.
    - improve pay and benefits

"Awesome people Awesome vibes"

Current Employee - Catering Event in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Catering Event in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Zingermans part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing people amazing environment, fun classes for training

Cons

none at all they're great

Advice to Management

Keep doing watcha doin

"Great company structure, lots of favoritism"

Former Employee - Event Coordinator in Dexter, MI
    Former Employee - Event Coordinator in Dexter, MI

I worked at Zingermans full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Endless amounts of upward mobility, great culture, competitive pay, owners listen to employees

Cons

Lots of favoritism, chain of command gets muddled with lots of 'fluff' titles, unclear expectations

Advice to Management

Work on communication and removing obstacles for every day

"Decent Job but Prefer Another"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Zingermans part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food, decent hours, paid on lunch breaks, paid training, 10% discount

Cons

Responsible for a shift regardless of personal schedule or other responsibilities

Cliquey culture

Pretentious management and supervisors

Run into plenty of self-righteous, impossible to please people

The culture of being constantly positive feels superficial because you're forced to broadcast positives on the hour and promote team spirit in every single little thing. I'm not a bubbly employee, but I do my job as productively as most. Working there is off-putting because I've been treated like a pre-schooler for asking questions, making a mistake, or not knowing exactly how to do something. I did a job I had never done before that was very involved, did it swiftly and accurately, and didn't do the last part of the job because a regular employee volunteered to do it. The supervisor later chastised me for not doing the other part of the job and the regular employee acted like he never said anything. Guess some people just don't honor their word there for whatever reason. Asked management for assistance in other matters related to working there and they never responded or ignored me.

Working a minimum wage job in retail is far less than ideal for me, but it's even worse when management and supervisors automatically assume you're not an intelligent being. I needed the money so I stuck it out, but I don't think it's a good place to work for someone who's more concerned about productivity and efficiency over a personality spewing with happiness and an over-the-top
    out-going attitude.

Advice to Management

Don't ignore people trying to be productive and help themselves because they're "beneath" you and your job. Don't treat people like animals who should be worked aggressively instead of respected or heard.

10. "Good Food, Good Service, Good Finance"

Current Employee - Service Star in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Service Star in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Zingermans part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Zingermans does what it can to create a fun, productive and positive environment. At Mail Order, lunches are included at no cost to employees. I work seasonally so I am not sure if this is year round. There is also an employee discount at Mail Order and other Zingermans businesses after training is completed. Employees are empowered to do what it takes to make the customer happy.

Cons

There is a super strict late/absence policy. If you are at your assigned location 1 minute late, it is a strike. You get 3 strikes before termination. If you don't call before you're late, then it is a no call/no show and grounds for immediate termination.

Advice to Management

The culture at Zingermans is pretty awesome. You pay employees well and empower them to do their jobs. You also reinforce the importance of a positive work environment by walking the walk. Keep up the great work.