Zions Bancorporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Zions Bancorporation Reviews

Updated October 25, 2017

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Zions Bancorporation Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, Zions First National Bank; Chairman, President, and CEO, Zions Management Services Harris H. Simmons
Harris H. Simmons

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Bank"

Pros

Gave me lots of opportunities. Expanded in tech and operations while I was there. Great leadership and vision.

Cons

Not enough time with the mentors that should be there to help talent grow.

Advice to Management

Beat Wells at everything!

"Great company with minor drawbacks"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Zions Bancorporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company culture.
    Lots of exposure to different technologies and trying new things.

Cons

Health Benefits are not as good as they should be.
    The only way to get increased pay is to come with an offer letter from another company or to leave the company.

Advice to Management

Keep your best talent by paying them market value

3. "Great Company to work for"

Pros

As an intern I worked closely with senior management. had the opportunity to present to those at the C level.

Cons

Occasionally I'd get forgotten about in a large corporations. However, if you hyperactively seek stuff out you won't get lost.

4. "Good Company"

I have been working at Zions Bancorporation full-time

Pros

The culture is pretty slow paced, people are great. There isn't a lot of pressure, the job security is good.

Cons

Pay is probably a bit below industry standards generally, especially when considering they give minimal bonuses. Health care is lacking. High deductible plans with HSA/FSA available, but they don't contribute.

Advice to Management

Bump up pay/bonuses to be able to keep talented people more often. Contribute to employees' HSAs. Overall, it's a good company to work for, but it could improve.

5. "Great Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Coordinator in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Zions Bancorporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management and additional education

Cons

Lower salary compared to other companies

Advice to Management

Keep doing a great job!

6. "Teller"

Former Employee - Bank Teller in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Bank Teller in Provo, UT

I worked at Zions Bancorporation part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and Flexible hours

Cons

Work is sometimes monotonous and sometimes stressful

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

7. "Online Banking"

I have been working at Zions Bancorporation full-time

Pros

Competitive salaries and bonuses. Flexible work from home opportunity.

Cons

No one seems to have anyone's back. Managers are under qualified. Too much back biting to climb the ladder.

Advice to Management

Better visibility in to division managemet

8. "Zion's Bank"

I worked at Zions Bancorporation part-time

Pros

They are a great company to work for. They are willing to work with college kids schedules & personal life accommodations.

Cons

You may be required to work an occasional Saturday, but you're off by 1pm! So, you still have all your afternoon & Sunday.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great employee morale!

9. "Review"

I have been working at Zions Bancorporation full-time

Pros

Good company to work for.

Cons

Benefits could be a lot better.

"Just brutally bad."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Zions Bancorporation full-time

Pros

Absolutely none, do something else.

Cons

Without a doubt there is rampant discrimination, sexism and overt religious aggression in this workplace. This was true not only in my office but also in others I visited. For example, homosexual slurs were tolerated by management, and drinking coffee will earn you death stares from colleagues. While working with people from different backgrounds is something you have to accept anywhere you go, and it's important to be polite and tolerate others, it becomes impossible to succeed when the group in charge is completely heterogeneous and is 50+ years behind in social attitudes and worldview. For example, there are very few women and minorities (I met none) in executive positions and middle-management. Where I did see women, they are largely separated to menial, clerical work or HR positions and end up sitting apart from the men, who occupy more esteemed positions. There is a culture of bullying, submission and deference even in the most petty situations. I saw this from executives I met, all the way down to employees on the the lower rungs.

Moreover, there is also a huge amount of pressure to put in face time, even when there is no work to be completed (which is common). This isn't Goldman Sachs or some "work hard play hard" atmosphere. Basically, there is a lot of sitting around, pushing papers and shooting the breeze on the phone with your buddies in another division instead of problem-solving. You're expected to attend silly get togethers (e.g. birthday parties, easter celebrations, etc.) to no end in lieu of completing actual work. Again, this is a fact of corporate life, but is especially bad here. Nevertheless, when your work isn't completed, expect management to be indignant about the shortcomings.

Additionally, this institution struggles to fill positions with competent people who understand technical and detailed work that the individuals who work below them complete. I found several managers in a variety of different areas who attended for-profit institutions (Utah based non-accredited institutions like WGU, Eagle Gate College or University of Phoenix) or random massage schools who now supervise complicated structures for which they had no background or experience. If you don't believe me, just start looking through Linkedin profiles for Zions or Zions Bancorporation employees. In part this is due to rampant nepotism and "the old-boys club" which isn't unique to this organization, it's just especially bad here. I once overheard my boss speaking to his son saying, "I can't hire you now cause it would look like nepotism, but I can in a couple months."

I suggest if you're a young person looking to learn and find opportunity with unique and diverse individuals who have passion, experience and intelligence, that you search elsewhere. This is because this decaying dinosaur of an institution is surviving off of its laurels that are hanging by a thread in a complex ever-changing world.

Advice to Management

Join the 21st century and figure out how to complete real work.