Zions Bancorporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Zions Bancorporation Reviews

Updated February 7, 2018

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Zions Bancorporation Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, Zions First National Bank; Chairman, President, and CEO, Zions Management Services Harris H. Simmons
Harris H. Simmons

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Health Benefits are catastrophic Health Insurance (in 18 reviews)

• Medical, dental, & vision benefits are HORRIBLE (I only intend to stick it out another yr due to these horrible benefits) (in 9 reviews)

1. "information reporting specialist"

Former Employee - Information Reporting Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Information Reporting Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Zions Bancorporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They are absolutely amazing a making sure you feel comfortable in your position. Monthly one on ones with the manager to check in on how you are feeling in your position. If you feel like you need to be challenged more they are more than happy to make that happen. Also, there are always opportunities to move up and all managers are happy to help you do so if you just let them know.

Cons

While I was working here I did not notice many cons. I loved my job and co-workers as well as management.

"Amazing AML Program"

Former Employee - BSA/AML Analyst II in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - BSA/AML Analyst II in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Zions Bancorporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked in the BSA/AML department here (specifically on Investigations & EDD). I have worked for MANY different banks over the last 14 years and have recently had exposure with other AML programs (being a part of the Salt Lake ACAMS Chapter and helping to build another AML program here in Salt Lake), and I can honestly say... Zions has one of the best AML programs in the nation. Every bank should mirror their AML department (IN EVERY FACET) to how things are done at Zions. Their fraud program, anything to do with CIP/KYC/Onboarding, CDD/ODD/EDD, AML Surveillance, Investigations, Sanctions, and even their CTR teams were completely on point. We, as employees, had so much assurance going into regulatory exams and audits. Everyone was confident in their abilities and the training was AMAZING. The QA program was the best, (I am not exaggerating -- everyone looking at your work was a true SME), Supervisors actually know what they're doing and aren't just "fillers" occupying seats for political reasons, etc. Regulators would consistently compliment our bank holding company on how far ahead of the industry ZB, N.A. was. If you are looking for a place where you can TRULY grow in BSA/AML or even fraud and SAR-writing knowledge and be exposed to EVERY typology, check out ZB, N.A. You will also truly believe in what you are doing every day and the product you are delivering, you will trust your Management and their knowledge/expertise, and you will get along with everyone in the truly laid-back culture that they have cultivated there.

Cons

While ZB, N.A. employees in the BSA/AML capacity may not earn AS much as other banks can pay (Goldman Sachs, Wells Fargo, etc.), they are only about $5k off (on average) from what these other banks are paying. I have spoken to many of my peers at other institutions, and Zions' base salaries are very competitive. The only downside is they don't offer large bonuses like Goldman or Wells. Here is the thing, though: working for ZB, N.A.... you will have SUCH confidence in what you are doing on a daily basis, and TRULY believe in your work/your product you're delivering, that it is a complete trade-off. You will be working in a fully-established AML program without all the "guesswork" that comes with other financial institutions, and you will not deal with the drama of having a half-built AML program.

Advice to Management

All I can say to Management (Darin, Nancy, Matt, Chris, Julie, Kenzie, Justin, Leslie, Laurel, Jenn, Paul, etc.) is keep doing what you guys are doing. Everyone that left Zions truly misses it there. If I could give one piece of advice, though, I'd say that it would be very valuable for you to hear and take advice from the actual Investigators, Surveillance Analysts, and EDD Analysts. They would truly have great feedback to make the AML program even better. Sometimes it's good to take suggestions from the ground up. I currently work for a Firm where everyone's opinion is solicited, and we are building a great AML program here because people here at a very high management level (think the Karin/Norm level) honestly and truly solicits the opinions of the staff even at the "lowest" levels, and actually implements what they suggest. There should be more of this at Zions. The employees also need to be given more projects, more trust, and more responsibility. Other than that, this is a great place to work and I don't regret my 3 years spent there.

3. "Business Analyst"

I have been working at Zions Bancorporation full-time

Pros

Great Company. Great opportunity. If you work hard they will promote.

Cons

Pay. Employee benefits. Healthcare. Small bonuses

4. "Overall Good"

Current Employee - Lead Teller in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Lead Teller in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Zions Bancorporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

401K plan is pretty good.

Cons

Monotenous, it gets to be the same all day.

5. "Director"

I worked at Zions Bancorporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits. Flexibility. Culture. Leadership.
    Great opportunity to advance.

Cons

No cons. Great place to work.

6. "Used to be better"

Current Employee - IT QA Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - IT QA Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Zions Bancorporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great flexibility in the IT areas; work from home is a common benefit among employees that have been employed over a year. Great vacation and sick time benefits and usually only work 9-5.

Cons

Recently a major overhaul of "core" systems has taken place. They've brought in numerous consultants, which means that most of the employees within this new project are from outside the company and do not seem to have the same morals, ethical nature and respect for other humans. There are definitely some great people within this space, but unfortunately the bad eggs dominate.

Advice to Management

Look to hire within, hire fewer consultants and contractors for key roles.

7. "Attorney"

I have been working at Zions Bancorporation full-time

Pros

Wonderful work life balance, with 4 weeks PTO for officers.

Cons

Base pay, compensation, profit sharing fall short of expectations.

Advice to Management

Medical coverage

8. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Zions Bancorporation (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of time off, and a great culture.

Cons

Benefits aren't so great but all the time off makes up for it in a way.

9. "Busy, slightly under staffed, great work associates"

Current Employee - Loan Processor in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Loan Processor in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Zions Bancorporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Will help train you to reach your work goals, nice work environment, very conservative with loan decisions and highly supportive team, loyal and trustworthy employees, option to work from home sometimes, recently remodeled cubicles

Cons

Work overload, not enough time off, slow computers and outdated software makes doing the job sometimes difficult, freezing old building

Advice to Management

Increase incentives, update software & hardware to increase production

10. "Security Team at Zions Bancorp"

I worked at Zions Bancorporation full-time

Pros

High Caliber Security team, sophisticated security program, lots of opportunities for growth, competitive compensation

Cons

Slow moving environment, too many decisions at mgmt level

Advice to Management

Help project movement with better communication with IT mgmt. Allow engineering to be more involved in some strategic decions