Zions Bancorporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Online Banking"

I have been working at Zions Bancorporation full-time

Pros

Competitive salaries and bonuses. Flexible work from home opportunity.

Cons

No one seems to have anyone's back. Managers are under qualified. Too much back biting to climb the ladder.

Advice to Management

Better visibility in to division managemet

2. "Zion's Bank"

I worked at Zions Bancorporation part-time

Pros

They are a great company to work for. They are willing to work with college kids schedules & personal life accommodations.

Cons

You may be required to work an occasional Saturday, but you're off by 1pm! So, you still have all your afternoon & Sunday.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great employee morale!

3. "Review"

I have been working at Zions Bancorporation full-time

Pros

Good company to work for.

Cons

Benefits could be a lot better.

"Just brutally bad."

I worked at Zions Bancorporation full-time

Pros

Absolutely none, do something else.

Cons

Without a doubt there is rampant discrimination, sexism and overt religious aggression in this workplace. This was true not only in my office but also in others I visited. For example, homosexual slurs were tolerated by management, and drinking coffee will earn you death stares from colleagues. While working with people from different backgrounds is something you have to accept anywhere you go, and it's important to be polite and tolerate others, it becomes impossible to succeed when the group in charge is completely heterogeneous and is 50+ years behind in social attitudes and worldview. For example, there are very few women and minorities (I met none) in executive positions and middle-management. Where I did see women, they are largely separated to menial, clerical work or HR positions and end up sitting apart from the men, who occupy more esteemed positions. There is a culture of bullying, submission and deference even in the most petty situations. I saw this from executives I met, all the way down to employees on the the lower rungs.

Moreover, there is also a huge amount of pressure to put in face time, even when there is no work to be completed (which is common). This isn't Goldman Sachs or some "work hard play hard" atmosphere. Basically, there is a lot of sitting around, pushing papers and shooting the breeze on the phone with your buddies in another division instead of problem-solving. You're expected to attend silly get togethers (e.g. birthday parties, easter celebrations, etc.) to no end in lieu of completing actual work. Again, this is a fact of corporate life, but is especially bad here. Nevertheless, when your work isn't completed, expect management to be indignant about the shortcomings.

Additionally, this institution struggles to fill positions with competent people who understand technical and detailed work that the individuals who work below them complete. I found several managers in a variety of different areas who attended for-profit institutions (Utah based non-accredited institutions like WGU, Eagle Gate College or University of Phoenix) or random massage schools who now supervise complicated structures for which they had no background or experience. If you don't believe me, just start looking through Linkedin profiles for Zions or Zions Bancorporation employees. In part this is due to rampant nepotism and "the old-boys club" which isn't unique to this organization, it's just especially bad here. I once overheard my boss speaking to his son saying, "I can't hire you now cause it would look like nepotism, but I can in a couple months."

I suggest if you're a young person looking to learn and find opportunity with unique and diverse individuals who have passion, experience and intelligence, that you search elsewhere. This is because this decaying dinosaur of an institution is surviving off of its laurels that are hanging by a thread in a complex ever-changing world.

Advice to Management

Join the 21st century and figure out how to complete real work.

5. "Admin"

Former Employee - Senior Administrative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Administrative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Zions Bancorporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay, work/like balance, job functions kept me busy and my days went by super fast, room for growth, different locations to work at, family friendly, larger organization (if you like the corporate feel)

Cons

Backstabbing, seasoned (older) employees become threatened by new and better talent, LDS culture is a HUGE influence (obviously), old school way of thinking, old office buildings, not open to new ideas, poor onboard training, HR needs a lot of room for improvement- especially in making sure the accuracy and outcome of internal affairs is true and made with unbiased opinions (lawsuits can arise if not done accordance to law), lots of clicks.

Advice to Management

Don't allow seasoned employees to jeopardize the success of newly hired employees, update office environment (the corporate offices have a very old feel), really dive in and understand the true character of the individuals who are working in your department- a lot of unethical stuff going on right under your noises; it is a Bank after all. This was what I observed after working for Zions for a short while.

"Incompetent Middle/Senior Management hurting the bank"

I worked at Zions Bancorporation full-time

Pros

Flexible Schedule (nothing else comes to mind)

Cons

Incompetent Middle/Senior Management, Decision Making process is flawed by the inability of undeserving middle/senior managers, most of them with either an Associates diploma or an online University of Phoenix degree earned somehow just to get an undeserved promotion. Most decisions made are for CYA purposes only with no alignment to organizational goals and values. It is because of this problem that the bank is struggling with the Future Core project. Incompetent managers are responsible for its failures and delays, but they blame the Vendor (TCS).

Advice to Management

The executive leadership needs to address this middle management issue on war footing if the company needs to survive long-term. Time to revamp your org structure by infusing it with more competent and forward thinking middle/senior management.

7. "IT Engineer"

Current Employee - Infrastructure Engineer/Architect in West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Infrastructure Engineer/Architect in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Zions Bancorporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Zions Bancorporation has incredible people to work with and has many opportunities for the motivated and self-starter.

Cons

The health benefits are horrible and only seem to be getting worse.

Advice to Management

We have lost many talented employees to other organizations over the years due to poor benefit choices by management. Employee retention should be a much higher priority.

8. "Great engineering culture, company slowly changing"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Zions Bancorporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Good 401k match
    -Talented engineering team
    -Bank does a lot for the community
    -Respected regional bank, resume builder

Cons

-Company is still a bank, not a tech company, so the tech team is treated like a cost center.
    -Mismanagement and lack of technical business direction is rampant.

Advice to Management

Become the software engineering company you were meant to be, and hire new tech talent to modernize the ageing infrastructure

9. "A painful place to work"

Former Employee - Help Desk Technician
    Former Employee - Help Desk Technician

I worked at Zions Bancorporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are not a lot of good reasons to work for Zions. The only thing is that they can be flexible to work around your schedule if you're in the right position.

Cons

Everything is outdated
    Training is abysmal (expect to call the help desk daily to ask them how to do something)
    There is little to no communication between departments (Several times, while working for the help desk, another department would make a change to one of our systems without notifying us, causing the system to fail and a flood of people calling in because a business critical system no longer functions.)
    Everything is really slow because HR takes forever to do anything, including drug testing on someone who came to work high multiple times
    Don't expect management to be on your side about anything.

Advice to Management

Value your employees more.

10. "good experience"

Current Employee - Banking Operations Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Banking Operations Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Zions Bancorporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

you gain experience in many different things here

Cons

pay is very low, staff is getting smaller and smaller, and its mainly a call center.