Zions Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Zions Bank President & CEO A. Scott Anderson
A. Scott Anderson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great company culture and favorable work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Great people that desire to help you move forward in a mutually beneficial way (in 12 reviews)

Cons

"Ethics and integrity do not abound"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

You can certainly expect little change in some areas - enjoy banker's hours, better interest rates for employee bank accounts.

Cons

Terrible insurance.

Marketing department is full of dishonesty and completely lacks integrity. If you are a trusting person who assumes others are honest and that hard-work will turn into a stable job or even a promotion, you will get caught off guard for sure. The department is extremely divided with a high degree of back-biting. The EVP is a hands-off manager, and does not handle confrontation, and ignores wrong-doing. There are some excellent employees, but unfortunately, they either leave, get fired on false grounds, or are afraid to speak up for change for fear of also being weeded out.

Also, it is an incredibly difficult place to come into. The department has multiple cliques. If you are an outsider, you are doomed.

Information which is vital to job-roles is not shared openly.

Advice to Management

Be honest with your employees. Executive management needs to address rogue employees who act outside of recommended plans as well as take action when dishonesty occurs. Break up the divide, and steer away from the nepotism.

"No integrity, forgot who keeps them in business: the employees"

Former Employee - Social Media Administrator in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Social Media Administrator in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Zions Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bankers hours/holidays were awesome. Vacation pay was good. Does a lot for the community. Interest rates and other products given to employees are fantastic.

Bosses will go to bat for you... if you're in their clique.

Cons

The insurance choices here are reprehensible unless you're single.

The marketing department went from awesome to horrid a few months ago. New leaders are very nepotistic and view friendships as more important than actual skill in doing the job. IF you're not on the boss' good side, or they plain don't like you, they will find even the littlest thing to "get" you on, and then trump it up.

Basically, communication between upper and middle management is lacking terribly.

While HR is an advocate for employees generally, if you're labeled as someone that deserves to be fired, no one will hear your side of the story. No investigations will happen to see if allegations are true. They just are.

Don't make any promises — written or verbal. If a manager wants to get rid of you, those promises can be dissolved quickly, even if they're written down. Integrity doesn't matter here.

For a company who says, "We Haven't Forgotten Who Keeps Us In Business", they sure treat their employees — who are every bit as important in this business as the customers — terribly.

My advice if you're looking in this company: any other department is probably worth working for at Zions... maybe. But steer clear of the marketing department.

Advice to Management

Listen to your "underlings". Don't trust your managers at their word. Give both people their sides of the story. Have integrity — if you promise something, make it happen. Stick up for your talented employees.

"Knife fight"

I worked at Zions Bank full-time

Pros

You can pay your bills... maybe. You can learn how to be highly political and stab people in the back!

Cons

Not really sure where to begin. This used to be a great place to work when it was much smaller. Egos are out of control and they don't value their employees anymore. Management is primarily concerned with keeping their jobs, so watch your back!

Advice to Management

Advice to management? How about taking some responsibility for your actions.

"Big fish don't care about small fish that RUN the bank!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

Pros

Paid holidays off
    People you work with is your family

Cons

" It's who you know" nothing to do with how hard you work, how many years you have been there and how great you do your job!
    The pay is horrible, unless you start now with no experience. But when you have been there 20+ years and get .05 cent raises!!!!

Advice to Management

Remember the people that run the branches and take care of the customers!

"Horrible branches--no opportunity for promotions (other branches can be better)--& HORRIBLE HR department"

Former Employee - Financial Service Representative
    Former Employee - Financial Service Representative

I worked at Zions Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They pay for your training opportunities and will feed you when you train an entire day. PTO and chances to be promoted (ONLY if you're at the correct branch).

Cons

Top con: Human Resources. Others: No chances to be promoted if you choose the wrong branch--both a pro and con because not all branches are run the same (branches are night-and-day difference when transferring in comparison of what management is willing to train people on. I started at a terrific branch and when I transferred locations to reduce my commute I was supervising someone who started 5 years before me and was more than capable. Then I NEVER advanced like everyone else in the branch--we were all stuck where we were indefinitely. The branch was a dead-end).

Advice to Management

Remove the leadership in HR. Other than that, none--I'm glad I moved on.

6. "Vice President"

Former Employee - Vice President, Wealth Advisor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Vice President, Wealth Advisor in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Zions Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pro working for Zions is that they are local.

Cons

Zions is like the slow kid in the corner that can figure out out to get out of the corner.

Advice to Management

Sell Zions to Wells Fargo or Bank of America or anyone that will buy you

7. "Not for the talented"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Reasonable benefits for individuals, not for families. Easy to float and not have to be productive.

Cons

Not for talented, hardworking people, best for floaters who just want to keep a seat warm. Talented folks get ostracized. Lots and lots of politics, very passive-aggressive culture, Passive aggressiveness is reinforced by management and HR. Lots of not very bright (although nice if not among the passive-aggressive) people. Very few bright, hard-working, talented folks,

Advice to Management

Get your culture in order. Stop driving out or laying off good people and get rid of the floaters. Practice the integrity you preach.

"Zions Has Forgotten Who Keeps them in Business"

Pros

The company is heavily involved in supporting the local community.

Cons

Horrible benefits. Low pay. Management slashes any financial benefits to their employees in order to improve their bottom line. Recently cut Christmas bonuses because they "didn't have the appetite" for them, despite stock prices being on the rise. Limited advancement opportunities. Only care about numbers, not employees. Horrible morale around the office.

Advice to Management

Remember who keeps you in business. It's not just your customers. Show gratitude to your employees by acknowledging their hard work through financial reward.

"DONT WORK FOR ZIONS COSTUMER SERVICE REP OR ACH DISPUTES!!!!!!!"

Former Employee - Costumer Service Representative in West Valley City, UT
    Former Employee - Costumer Service Representative in West Valley City, UT

I worked at Zions Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Money wise it was some what ok, I like the co-workers I've met, and I can honestly say there was only one honest supervisor there!!

Cons

Worst management, they made us change teams all the time, you never really had a permanent supervisor!!
    Worst regulations for employees, you couldn't call in sick even tho you had your sick hours it will be counted against you, WHATS THE POINT OF HAVING SICK HOURS???!! Schedule changed every quart you never had a permanent schedule Your Life depends on Them. I took calls for 4 different departments, and never got recognize for my efforts. Also if you wanted a day off GOOD lUCK, it had be to management approved because it was never available and it was very hard!
    Honestly I would never in my life work for Zions bank as a Costumer Service Rep!
    Systems were always down, I tried to work home for them, so
    Worthless!!
    Don't waste your life!!!

Advice to Management

I wish they would do half of the work that we did!!!
    When we were busy, group of manager just sitting there decorating, eating or doing who knows what chatting with other management! I got nothing to say to them !!!

"All the worst traits of corporations are epitomized by this company."

I worked at Zions Bank full-time

Pros

Zero. Run like hell in any other direction.

Cons

Without a doubt there is rampant discrimination, sexism and overt religious aggression in this workplace. This was true not only in my office but also in others I visited. For example, homosexual slurs were tolerated by management, and drinking coffee will earn you death stares from colleagues. While working with people from different backgrounds is something you have to accept anywhere you go, and it's important to be polite and tolerate others, it becomes impossible to succeed when the group in charge is completely heterogeneous and is 50+ years behind in social attitudes and worldview. For example, there are very few women and minorities (I met none) in executive positions and middle-management. Where I did see women, they are largely separated to menial, clerical work or HR positions and end up sitting apart from the men, who occupy more esteemed positions. There is a culture of bullying, submission and deference even in the most petty situations. I saw this from executives I met, all the way down to employees on the the lower rungs.

Moreover, there is also a huge amount of pressure to put in face time, even when there is no work to be completed (which is common). This isn't Goldman Sachs or some "work hard play hard" atmosphere. Basically, there is a lot of sitting around, pushing papers and shooting the breeze on the phone with your buddies in another division instead of problem-solving. You're expected to attend silly get togethers (e.g. birthday parties, easter celebrations, etc.) to no end in lieu of completing actual work. Again, this is a fact of corporate life, but is especially bad here. Nevertheless, when your work isn't completed, expect management to be indignant about the shortcomings.

Additionally, this institution struggles to fill positions with competent people who understand technical and detailed work that the individuals who work below them complete. I found several managers in a variety of different areas who attended for-profit institutions (Utah based non-accredited institutions like WGU, Eagle Gate College or University of Phoenix) or random massage schools who now supervise complicated structures for which they had no background or experience. If you don't believe me, just start looking through Linkedin profiles for Zions or Zions Bancorporation employees. In part this is due to rampant nepotism and "the old-boys club" which isn't unique to this organization, it's just especially bad here. I once overheard my boss speaking to his son saying, "I can't hire you now cause it would look like nepotism, but I can in a couple months."

I suggest if you're a young person looking to learn and find opportunity with unique and diverse individuals who have passion, experience and intelligence, that you search elsewhere. This is because this decaying dinosaur of an institution is surviving off of its laurels that are hanging by a thread in a complex ever-changing world.

Advice to Management

Just quit. Seek aid for your unbearable cognitive dissonance.