Zions Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Zions Bank President & CEO A. Scott Anderson
A. Scott Anderson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great company culture and favorable work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Great people that desire to help you move forward in a mutually beneficial way (in 12 reviews)

1. "Working at Zions"

Former Employee - Personal Banking Officer in American Fork, UT
    Former Employee - Personal Banking Officer in American Fork, UT

I worked at Zions Bank (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits are okay and the people are great.

Cons

You feel like a number working for them. They don't want your opinion, just do what you're told.

Advice to Management

Let the lower level management manage their branch.

2. "Don't work at a bank"

Former Employee - Bank Teller in Roy, UT
    Former Employee - Bank Teller in Roy, UT

I worked at Zions Bank part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learning about money and finance is great - especially for a college student. I learned some important money-saving strategies while working here.

Cons

Banks vs. Credit Unions - I like to work somewhere and sell something that I believe in and would use myself. I didn't believe in what Zions represented (or any bank for that matter) so much that I would have my direct deposit sent over to a credit union. Some of the branch managers are great - others are terrible and seem to have no clue what they're doing. The equipment and software they use at a lot of their branches is extremely outdated, forcing transactions to take much longer than they would at a credit union or probably any other financial institution for that matter.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to change out your system for tellers - make transactions faster and help your clients get in an out more quickly.

3. "Sr Admin Asst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Zions Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Relationships, I've had good managers and colleagues.
    Zions is part of the community.

Cons

Medical benefits are so poor and really affect employee morale.

4. "Teller Supervisor"

Current Employee - Head Teller in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Head Teller in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Zions Bank part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work for if you value acknowledgement and are always looking to grow within the company.

Cons

There are a lot of sales goals to meet, pressure can be high at times.

Advice to Management

Make your employees a priority as much as the money is.

"Lender for 10+ years."

I worked at Zions Bank (More than 10 years)

Pros

Since the downturn there hasn’t been too many positives about working at Zions Bank. Most of the employees are hard working and want to take care of bank clients. Those in the trenches are not the problem.

Cons

The problem lies in the Executive Management Team. A few of the EVPs are blinded by their egos and ambition. The greater good for the corporation comes second to their personal agendas. Employees are silenced if their opinions or ideas are different from theirs.

Due to an abundance of cronyism and lack of diversity in thought, there’s no vision and the strategy is old and tired. Reporting lines and job descriptions change every year. Employee morale is super low and employee turnover is high. Experienced and talented bankers are leaving to competitors.

CEO and Bancorp Chairman only engage with Executive Management.

Advice to Management

EVPs need to spend less time posturing for power and more time “locking arms” with those in the trenches...listening and learning. Your old tired ideas are just that—old and tired. Talented employees will leave if they feel like their voices are not being heard.

Employees should never come second to your personal agendas. Don’t forget who really keeps you in business!

6. "Part time"

I worked at Zions Bank part-time

Pros

Great work atmosphere and good people

Cons

A fair amount of uncertainty regarding the future structure of employee pay and benefits. Kept changing

7. "Bank teller"

I have been working at Zions Bank part-time

Pros

The retail support program is perfect for college students who need flexibility in their jobs. Great people to work with.

Cons

The pay isn't as good for tellers at Zions. Other Banks pay more and have more relaxed tuition reimbursement programs. The systems are old, but a newer one is supposed to be in the works.

Advice to Management

Invest some time in helping the next generation. Mentor someone. Try to take a special interest in someone you can help through your experience. Do it if they plan to stick with Zions or if they want to go somewhere else.

8. "Account Relationship Officer"

Current Employee - ACCOUNT RELATIONSHIP OFFICER in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - ACCOUNT RELATIONSHIP OFFICER in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Zions Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people that desire to help you move forward in a mutually beneficial way.

Cons

Terrible staffing with insanely high turnover rates. The bank is going through modernization, and is having huge growing pains. Health insurance is terrible, 401k matching isn't bad at all.

Advice to Management

Listen to the critiques of your employees, especially client-facing.

9. "Regional management"

I have been working at Zions Bank (More than a year)

Pros

You get to create a culture with your regional team that reflects your beliefs, strategy, growth goals. Autonomy exists but this more a reflection of the lack of clear direction.

Cons

The leaders of the Bank are out of touch with the market, adopt a risk-averse strategy, and believe the company is far better than it actually is. I expect it to be subject to a takeover within the next 5-10 years

Advice to Management

Look at your leadership team. The individuals. The religious beliefs. The average age. Evolve or die is fundamental to finance & we are rapidly falling behind the leading pack.

"All the worst traits of corporations are epitomized by this company."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Zions Bank full-time

Pros

Zero. Run like hell in any other direction.

Cons

Without a doubt there is rampant discrimination, sexism and overt religious aggression in this workplace. This was true not only in my office but also in others I visited. For example, homosexual slurs were tolerated by management, and drinking coffee will earn you death stares from colleagues. While working with people from different backgrounds is something you have to accept anywhere you go, and it's important to be polite and tolerate others, it becomes impossible to succeed when the group in charge is completely heterogeneous and is 50+ years behind in social attitudes and worldview. For example, there are very few women and minorities (I met none) in executive positions and middle-management. Where I did see women, they are largely separated to menial, clerical work or HR positions and end up sitting apart from the men, who occupy more esteemed positions. There is a culture of bullying, submission and deference even in the most petty situations. I saw this from executives I met, all the way down to employees on the the lower rungs.

Moreover, there is also a huge amount of pressure to put in face time, even when there is no work to be completed (which is common). This isn't Goldman Sachs or some "work hard play hard" atmosphere. Basically, there is a lot of sitting around, pushing papers and shooting the breeze on the phone with your buddies in another division instead of problem-solving. You're expected to attend silly get togethers (e.g. birthday parties, easter celebrations, etc.) to no end in lieu of completing actual work. Again, this is a fact of corporate life, but is especially bad here. Nevertheless, when your work isn't completed, expect management to be indignant about the shortcomings.

Additionally, this institution struggles to fill positions with competent people who understand technical and detailed work that the individuals who work below them complete. I found several managers in a variety of different areas who attended for-profit institutions (Utah based non-accredited institutions like WGU, Eagle Gate College or University of Phoenix) or random massage schools who now supervise complicated structures for which they had no background or experience. If you don't believe me, just start looking through Linkedin profiles for Zions or Zions Bancorporation employees. In part this is due to rampant nepotism and "the old-boys club" which isn't unique to this organization, it's just especially bad here. I once overheard my boss speaking to his son saying, "I can't hire you now cause it would look like nepotism, but I can in a couple months."

I suggest if you're a young person looking to learn and find opportunity with unique and diverse individuals who have passion, experience and intelligence, that you search elsewhere. This is because this decaying dinosaur of an institution is surviving off of its laurels that are hanging by a thread in a complex ever-changing world.

Advice to Management

Just quit. Seek aid for your unbearable cognitive dissonance.