Zions Bank Reviews | Glassdoor

Zions Bank Reviews

Updated July 21, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great company culture and favorable work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Great work environment and opportunities for promotion (in 12 reviews)

Cons

1. "Immediate management made my job worthwhile."

Former Employee - Dealer Flooring Specialist/Auditor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Dealer Flooring Specialist/Auditor in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Zions Bank full-time

Pros

Occasional travel and being given authority to act and what I mentioned regarding my direct supervisors were the best parts of my job

Cons

Being a bank it has a very traditional atmosphere in regards to processes (paperwork in triplicate) and dress code for example.

2. "Zions banl"

Current Employee - Personal Banker in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Pay is decent for a college job. Opportunities for bonuses, holiadays and weekends off, opportunities for internal promotions if you want to stay with the company.

Cons

Out dated software and business model

3. "Assistant Relationship Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Relationship Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Assistant Relationship Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Zions Bank full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great manager and Department Manager. Benefits are fantastic. 401K Match. 5% of your 6%.

Cons

I really have nothing for this section.

Advice to Management

Nothing. They are fantastic.

4. "Permanent"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cottonwood Heights, UT

I worked at Zions Bank (More than 10 years)

Pros

Long history. Average benefits. Full service banking.

Cons

Poor management. Management does not listen. Over focus on female gender and promotion for family and friends of family. Upper management especially!

Advice to Management

Listen to employees

5. "Personal Banking Officer"

Current Employee - Personal Banking Officer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Personal Banking Officer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at Zions Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great company!! I love everything about my job

Cons

there are none that i can think of.

"Change Environment"

Former Employee - Exempt Level in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Exempt Level in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Zions Bank full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Ample opportunity to move within organization.
    CEO (Scott) truly cares about the company and the employees. Excellent coworkers. Benefits met my needs. Medical, 401k, PTO, etc

Cons

Major major changes happening right now and they are not fully coordinated. With the announcement of ZB,Na almost all departments have announced some sort of shift.
    Very political environment. A lot about "who you know" to get a promotion.
    Very conservative- in everything hiring, firing, technology, products, etc.
    Too many "brilliant jerks" at the company.

Advice to Management

Make a more concerted effort to make change happen seamlessly and flawless. Transparency will take you far! Treat employees like adults and trust them with the work they've been hired to do.

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Zions Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic bosses and coworkers. It's a great place to feel appreciated and your work determines promotions, not tenure. Their benefits are awesome and Healthcare is only $70 monthly for a two-party (high deductible).

Cons

They don't always pay regarding your experience or knowledge, but what the pay rate the position has been designated at. Not so great when you're over-qualified but they won't pay you what your skills are worth

8. "Portfolio Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Zions Bank full-time

Pros

Good company that means well

Cons

Health plans are terrible and salaries tend to be below market

Advice to Management

Treat your employees as assets

9. "Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Intern in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Zions Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great organization with great people and leadership climate. As part of my program, I had the opportunity to network with people throughout the Bank. I was very impressed with the openness and caring exhibited at all levels of the organization from the President on down.

The management was very supportive, among the best I have ever worked for. I would recommend Zions Bank without hesitation.

Cons

The parent corporation (Zions Bancorp) is going through a major restructuring, which has infused a lot of uncertainty and discomfort in the corporation and the banks. I feel the direction is right and the organization will be stronger in the long term, but the short-term pain is not always easy to deal with.

Also, the medical insurance plan is a big sore point for most employees.

Advice to Management

Hold the course on strengthening the Bank, but don't forget the people. Look at providing better insurance options.

"Bureaucracy and office politics get in the way"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Zions Bank (More than a year)

Pros

I work with an amazing group of people. The local community focus is really important to people and thus attracts really great talent. The Bank does a lot to help in the community and it's good to see big businesses out there helping those in need. Relatively flat organization with a great open-door policy. It's relatively easy to get in and see an EVP (when you work at the head office anyway) to pitch ideas or broach your concerns. Most EVPs are happy to hear from you and actually listen to what you're saying because they know that you represent the boots on the ground.

Cons

Corporate restructuring of Zions Bancorporation (the parent company) is causing a lot of headache. Departments are being consolidated, sometimes liquidated seemingly without concern for the increased burden and workload for the employees left over after layoffs. I am currently responsible for the work load of three FTEs, but only getting paid for one (at my original base salary, no less).
    On that subject, asking for a deserved and earned promotion is like pulling teeth. HR drags their heels on every promotional decision. Even if you're promised a promotion by your manager when you ask for it, don't expect it to go into effect until the following calendar year. HR is known for postponing promotions until Jan. 1 to avoid paying out your standard annual raise PLUS your promotional raise (because saving the corporation a few hundred bucks is more worthwhile than retaining good talent, apparently). Kind of a weaselly move if you ask me. Don't worry though; I'm asking for back-pay.
    Medical benefits are so subpar for the industry, it's almost laughable. And dental/vision is a joke (it's a "reimbursement plan" rather than actual insurance. You pay $7/month for an individual, plus you still have to pay for all your dental/vision visits up front and wait for reimbursement).
    Pay in general is below industry averages. They want you to stay competitive with peer institutions without actually paying what peer institutions pay for their talent. And then they wonder why employees are leaving to take jobs with the competitors.

Advice to Management

Put yourself into the shoes of your bottom-rung employees. The ones who do all the heavy lifting and represent your brand out in the community. If you're not serving them well, don't expect them to serve your customers well. HR needs to be more about being an advocate for your employees and less about saving the corporation money.