ZipRealty Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
ZipRealty President, CEO, and Director Charles C. (Lanny) Baker
Charles C. (Lanny) Baker

Pros
  • Working with ZipRealty would make sense for new agents to gain some experience (in 6 reviews)

• I loved being able to work from home (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low commission splits for agents (supposed to be an offset of the quality leads promised) (in 7 reviews)

• For the amount of work and time required in today's real-estate environment, the commission structure needs to be more competitive (in 5 reviews)

1. "Good company in a tough industry"

Current Employee - Realtor in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Realtor in Emeryville, CA

Pros

Compassionate company. innovative. Good people. Job effects a lot of real people and their dream and hopes. Strong team feeling. i believe that pat is looking to do the right thing for the company and really cares about what goes on, but I am not sure if he has the team to do what he needs to do. Some management is pretty good, some are clueless, Experience really varies based on where you are working. Also really good technology for a real estate company.

Cons

tough industry. the industry is fighting the changes. Pretty lean structure withe very little back-up. Salaries are lower then others.

Advice to Management

Take care of your people and they will take care of the company.

2. "Trying to do a better job then other brokerages out there."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

Pros

At Zip you know that you are working hard to help buyers find their perfect house, and to be sure that they get the service they want an need. The company is very focused around customer service and does everything it can to be sure that they are better then the competitors at that. Customers want to work with zip because of the website and because they have had bad experiences before. Their is a strong belief here that zip is doing something different and better then the rest of the industry. Management also tries to make it a fun place to be.

Cons

The industry is difficult. Real estate can be cut throat, and not all agents are cut out for what they need to do. Company is flat so career progression can seem slow. Salaries are not aggressive. The stock has fallen a lot.

Advice to Management

Take care of your best people. listen to all employees.

3. "It's like being part of a family."

Current Employee - Realtor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Realtor in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Working with great people: The culture is all about helping each other, the abundance of web leads that agents get prevent any unhealthy competition among agents. We share knowledge and best practices. Training is good with daily classes by top agents vis web conference.
    Caring management: They truly care about the consumer and the employees.
    Challenge of new business model in Real Estate Industry.
    Benefit package, with expense reimbursement health care 401k.

Cons

Tough to practice real estate in general right now.
    Cost cutting measures in the past year have been tough but will be sanitary in the long term.
    Brokerage is perceived as discount when we really are full service.

Advice to Management

Do less tech like adding more widgets on the site, and spend the money on more traditional brand building.

4. "Fantastic place to start!"

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Patterson, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Patterson, CA

Pros

Training on all aspects of the sales and listing process. Supportive and positive upper management.

Cons

Started out as an employee and a few months in they changed to independent contractors. Difficult for me as I was new to real estate and the only source of income for my family.

Advice to Management

Keep providing stellar training to your new agents.

"Great people, interesting work, and fantastic work-life balance"

I have been working at ZipRealty full-time

Pros

My favorite part about working at ZipRealty is the people! I feel very lucky to be part of such a smart, motivated team and I'm always impressed by their willingness to lend a helping hand.

I also appreciate the great work-life balance I have here. We work hard and get the job done, but we also head home at a reasonable hour - a tall order for a Bay Area tech company.

Cons

Not as many perks as some Bay Area companies (e.g. no free, catered lunch).

6. "Amazing real estate technology!"

I have been working at ZipRealty full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company culture from corporate headquarters down to each agent. Zip has a fantastic website (it's in the top of it's class) and fantastic exposure for agents. This can be overlooked because everyone always talks about the abundance of leads each agent receives. Lastly, Zip has a fantastic agent referral program.

Cons

Not sure if this is a "con" or not but there are so many leads that sometimes it's tough to work with your own SOI leads. That's a good problem to have.

Advice to Management

Keep up with what you are doing. The leads, technology, and website accuracy are first rate.

7. "Great company to work for"

I have been working at ZipRealty full-time

Pros

Lots of responsibility and hands-on experience; great team environment; company values work-life balance; shuttle to/from Bart great for people who live in SF; nice walking paths all around

Cons

Lack of good dining options within the immediate area; chills and subway and specialties; gets deserted quickly after hours

8. "Good"

Pros

I like the Flexibility to make my own schedule

Cons

It would be helpful to have better leads

"Good career development if you're curious and take initiative"

Pros

I think it's fair to start with a general comment on some of the negative reviews on Glassdoor: I hate to be harsh but the negative posts on here are from sub-par performers (probably not a huge surprise to anyone reading them, though). Some of those reviewer's criticisms are directionally accurate but the vitriolic outpouring is due to their own ineptitude/laziness/poor collaboration and, therefore, frustration over a lack of career development and increased compensation. Sometimes it's a cultural fit, though, and Zip requires folks who are self-motivated, flexible, and happy to learn.

1. Title says it all - if you're curious, detail-oriented, and have a good work ethic you're going to do well at Zip.

2. Lots of career development, increasingly structured to ensure success for more folks.

3. Great group of people who operate pretty efficiently.

4. Promoting from within and hiring more junior folks to learn is the preferred strategy rather than hiring senior folks for bloated salaries - it's more equitable to existing employees and engenders good-will.

5. Executive team listens and adjusts strategy regularly (didn't always be as good as it is now but the last year or two it has been).

6. Constant learning is encouraged.

7. Taking risks is supported and making mistakes are not punished (so long as you learn from them).

8. Tons of grads from good or elite universities - which to me says something that, in general, sharp people are hired.

9. Zip has a good team that care about helping one another and, generally, have a lot of fun working with each other. Long tenure for the tech space because folks enjoy it.

10. Complex challenges and learning opportunities on a daily basis.

Cons

1. If you expect someone to tell you what to do all the time you're probably in the wrong place...then again if that's what you're looking for you won't be highly competitive anywhere in San Francisco.

2. Compensation used to be lower than it should (but it's now very competitive for hiring and promotion and has been for about a year).

3. Poor performers should be let go sooner when they are a pain to work with or just performing poorly - makes everyones' jobs harder when you're making up for low performers.

4. Artificial urgency without adequate consideration of trade-offs can be frustrating.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employee sentiment, adjusting, and hiring from within - it's working well.

10. "Fun people and great place to grow!"

I have been working at ZipRealty full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The culture is great - people truly enjoy working on projects together, functioning as a company-wide team with different departments working collaboratively with each other on projects, hanging out with each other after work. Employees really care about what they're doing and work hard to make a great product.

Because we're a small group, there are great opportunities to learn and grow. Folks are very open to helping each other, and the management is always open to discuss anything - what you think the company should be doing differently, how you can grow within the company, what you'd like the company to do for team-building, etc.

Cons

If you're looking for a big company where you can just delegate and not get your hands wet with the work, this is probably not the place for you. Also not great if you don't like to work closely with others.