Zipcar Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tracey Zhen

Pros
  • Very relaxed and fun work culture, great people in management, all around a wonderful experience (in 19 reviews)

• Company culture is very laid back (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much room for growth in the local offices typically (in 12 reviews)

• The parent company Avis Budget Group is extremely tone deaf and injects a lot of nonsense into the company's direction and processes (in 8 reviews)

1. "Challenging Turn-Around Underway"

Current Employee - Home Office Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Home Office Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Zipcar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Zipcar is the leader in the car sharing space, which is rapidly evolving and an exciting space to work in. Zipcar's mission of car sharing helps the environment and helps make living in a city easier.

It's an extremely complicated business with logistics, technology and customer experience interlaced, and being on the inside of the machine and understanding how that works is fascinating.

There are some awesome, committed people working here, and they make this people run. Anyone willing to dig in can have an impact because there is a lot to do.
    Summer hours and flexible vacation policy. A fun and social environment.

Cons

Core product desperately needs to be fixed (see Pros on opportunity).
    The turnaround experience has made a lot of people weary and left them with a chip on their shoulder, which makes it difficult to move forward.
    Parent company does not understand the business and has historically spurred bad decisions.
    Engineering and product need to move faster.

Advice to Management

Fix the core experience. Start small and build from there. Move quickly and fix as you go along.

"Good job, good company but could be better"

Current Employee - Fleet Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Fleet Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Zipcar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compensation, benefits, no weekends, good people, laid back atmosphere, very diverse people, culture, paid vacation, employees treated well.

Cons

Communication, organization skills, strategy job security, GMs and top management switching a lot, upward mobility, repetitive job no real learning experiences.

Advice to Management

Only hire people in management who have experience dealing with Zipcar or hire more from within. Build a better relationship with Avis.

Apr 14, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for your feedback! We love the culture here too. At Zipcar, we strive to create an environment where our employees feel open, comfortable and able to do their best work. If you have ... More

"used to be a great place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Zipcar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Car sharing is still an important, if declining, segment of the transportation industry. If Zipcar & Avis play things correctly though, they can remain vital, but time is ticking. When I left, the team was still pretty strong, with people committed to the mission.

Cons

However, the company is a shell of its former self, having gone through a number of layoffs, which have especially gutted the local offices, which are in some ways the most important positions. I'd estimate that Zipcar has roughly half of the employees that it had prior to the Avis acquisition. Avis has no respect for what Zipcar stood for and how their operating model differed from Zipcar. Look up the article "How Avis will ruin Zipcar on the Washington Post's site, which accurately predicted what Avis has done to Zipcar.

Ride sharing is eating the short trips and as Zipcar gets more expensive, rental car is eating the longer trips.

Advice to Management

Make an investment and reinforce Zipcar's strengths; don't make it more like Avis. Don't just talk a good game about having a "good corporate culture", but live it. Put people ahead of numbers. Don't focus on just net number of members, figure out why people are leaving and do things to solve their problems.

5. "Brand Ambassador"

Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Zipcar part-time (More than a year)

Pros

My supervisors were some of the nicest, most motivated people I've ever worked for. I had a lot of latitude to choose my own projects and pursue leads that I thought were interesting.

Cons

The pay wasn't great, although it was okay for the market I was in (Knoxville, TN). Not a lot of opportunities to move up in the organization, at least if I didn't want to move to a larger city. Some kinks associated with having my supervisors based in a different city (Boston) than where I was. Seems like after they got bought by Avis, some of my favorite people left the company- although maybe that's normal after restructuring, I'm not sure!

Apr 6, 2017 – HR Director

We agree – Zipcar employees are some of the nicest, most motivated and fun people we know. Thank you for your feedback!

"Struggling to get the mojo back"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Zipcar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people. Interesting problems. Some good technology and culture.

Cons

Weak benefits. Difficulty executing. Old technology. Avis is strangling a growth company through expense optimization. Poor product and engineering management.

Advice to Management

Focus on rapid innovation and delivery. Get Avis to understand how to manage a growth company. Clear out the bad managers. Hopefully, Tracy can shake things up and protect Zipcar from fiscal stupidity.

Apr 6, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for your feedback. Zipcar started over 17 years ago as a scrappy start-up, driven by a bold mission. We remain committed to that mission today but have to evolve in an ever changing ... More

"The little guy has turned into a monster"

Current Employee - Member Services in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Member Services in Boston, MA

I have been working at Zipcar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing coworkers, some cool perks like free food and beer, relatively flexible schedule.

Cons

Repetitive, boring work. No one seems interested in moving you up and around in the company. The maybe congratulate people on their hard work once a year.

Advice to Management

Hire within! You have fantastic people you already employ who are looking to move up in the company.

Mar 20, 2017 – HR Director

We agree – Zipcar employees are great coworkers and the flexible schedule and fun perks aren’t bad either. Thank you for your feedback on hiring from within. We always strive to hire the people that ... More

"Needs to find the brand"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Zipcar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Experience in many different roles.
    Great local teams, that have very devoted co-workers.

Cons

Low pay compared to competitors.

Advice to Management

Great results will come from increasing customer service and better employee benefits, including pay.

"Dream job becomes nightmare"

Former Employee - Product in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Product in Boston, MA

I worked at Zipcar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Friendly, casual work atmosphere
    -Lots of opportunities to learn
    -Ability to take on responsibility/ownership
    -Willingness to try new ways of working, thinking, etc.
    -Travel
    -Cool industry/space
    -Zipcar historical cachet

Cons

-Overburdened teams
    -Consistent layoffs
    -Unnecessary fixation on due dates over value
    -Unclear company vision
    -Weak leadership
    -Inconsistent QA
    -Unnecessarily stressful projects
    -Lack of trust among cross-functional teams
    -Avis influence is turning more sour by the day
    -Employees often do not have requisite experience
    -Drug test requirement for employment
    -Lack of forward-thinking plans
    -Pessimistic long-term prospects. Zipcar is behind
    -High-level career progression is going to Avis and not staying at Zipcar
    -Lost focus on environmental values
    -Over-powered/domineering project management
    -Under-powered/weak product management

Advice to Management

-Avis, let Zipcar be Zipcar or consume it in full. Going half-way helps no one
    -Focus on what matters. Zipcar has lots of idea debt accumulated over the years
    -Reconnect high leadership with tactical teams
    -Listen and work towards enabling trust throughout the organization
    -Hire those with expertise from relevant industry/technology spaces
    -Lead!
    -Consistent layoffs cause turmoil. See what other options exist to embolden the business

10. "Marketing Coordinator"

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Boston, MA

I have been working at Zipcar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment to work in. Culture is exactly what you would want.

Cons

pay is well below market average

"Toxic Environment - Deteriorating Company"

I worked at Zipcar full-time

Pros

-Dress code is casual
    -If you want to use Zipcar services there is a good discount offered

Cons

-Lack of leadership
    -Extremely disorganized due to the ABG acquisition
    -The vision of Zipcar has been DESTROYED
    -For a company that promotes its environmentally friendly service, unfortunately now the only thing 'green' managers see is the money
    -The organizational culture is undergoing a major change/shift and is currently broken
    -You do not feel valued or respected as an employee
    -Zero room for growth or development at the Corporate Office
    -Teams are overburdened with workload
    -Departments within are very cliquey and have poor communication/collaboration with each other = lack of trust and progress
    -The WORST managers - they are not approachable, most do not have a formal management training, terrible communication skills, where is the transparency?? so many hidden agendas...
    -For some reason people do not wash their own dishes .. there was always a huge pile in the sink, no one cares about each other or the state of the office anymore
    -Zipcar is falling behind and everyone knows it / feels it
    -Overall an extremely toxic and depressing environment

Advice to Management

The car-sharing and transportation business is continually changing and evolving, but due to weak leadership this company is approaching the end of the road.. it is being steered in the wrong direction.