Zipcar Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tracey Zhen
1 Rating

Pros
  • Coworker's are great people to be around and full-time employees are given a decent amount of vacation time/sick days (in 19 reviews)

• Company culture is very laid back (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much room for growth in the local offices typically (in 12 reviews)

• The parent company Avis Budget Group is extremely tone deaf and injects a lot of nonsense into the company's direction and processes (in 8 reviews)

1. "Good job, good company but could be better"

Current Employee - Fleet Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Fleet Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Zipcar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compensation, benefits, no weekends, good people, laid back atmosphere, very diverse people, culture, paid vacation, employees treated well.

Cons

Communication, organization skills, strategy job security, GMs and top management switching a lot, upward mobility, repetitive job no real learning experiences.

Advice to Management

Only hire people in management who have experience dealing with Zipcar or hire more from within. Build a better relationship with Avis.

Zipcar Response

Apr 14, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for your feedback! We love the culture here too. At Zipcar, we strive to create an environment where our employees feel open, comfortable and able to do their best work. If you have ... More

2. "Brand Ambassador"

Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Zipcar part-time (More than a year)

Pros

My supervisors were some of the nicest, most motivated people I've ever worked for. I had a lot of latitude to choose my own projects and pursue leads that I thought were interesting.

Cons

The pay wasn't great, although it was okay for the market I was in (Knoxville, TN). Not a lot of opportunities to move up in the organization, at least if I didn't want to move to a larger city. Some kinks associated with having my supervisors based in a different city (Boston) than where I was. Seems like after they got bought by Avis, some of my favorite people left the company- although maybe that's normal after restructuring, I'm not sure!

Zipcar Response

Apr 6, 2017 – HR Director

We agree – Zipcar employees are some of the nicest, most motivated and fun people we know. Thank you for your feedback!

3. "Marketing Coordinator"

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Boston, MA

I have been working at Zipcar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment to work in. Culture is exactly what you would want.

Cons

pay is well below market average

"Mission-driven workplace. Highly-beloved brand."

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Zipcar full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people! So smart, collaborative, innovative. I am inspired by my colleagues and pushed to learn new things every day. People work here because they want to make cities better places to live, and to be involved in a cutting edge lifestyle project: getting fewer people to rely on a personal car. The marketing team is a fun, close-knit family. It is a great brand to work for - we have detractors as all large companies do - but we hear from members who love us. It's really special to have that kind of relationship with your customers.

Cons

As a grassroots start-up acquired by a large, traditional corporation, Zipcar has experienced many growing pains. Our parent company is smart in realizing that the future is innovative, urban mobility solutions like Zipcar, and that we are positioned to keep innovating and answering the needs of how people will get around in the future. (Not like in a Jetsons way, but in a sharing economy way.)

Advice to Management

1) The budgets for marketing are way too low for a brand of our size. That is a hinderance. Of course limitations do spark creative solutions, but to really get our message out there and grow, we need to improve our awareness through larger media spend, IMHO. 2) Think about your senior people and how to keep them engaged and loyal. A lot of changes has caused a lot of turn-over and loss of tons of great talent and tribal knowledge. Invest in the stars and give them the motivation to stay at Zipcar and grow, rather than take their passions elsewhere.

6. "Engineer"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Boston, MA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Zipcar as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has a fun and creative environment. Cool technology and engineers to work with. Agile environment.

Cons

Lack of direction from management. The Directors and VP's don't seem to be on the same page...poor communication to the Engineers on what we are working on next. Wish the pace of what I am working on would speed up.

Advice to Management

Improve your communication and direction to the Engineers

"Lots of great people, but weak leadership"

Current Employee - Information Technology Professional in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Information Technology Professional in Boston, MA

Pros

Great location
    Great financial compensation
    Great people
    Company is really starting to turn itself around and becoming innovative again

Cons

Weak leadership leads to a lot of "dead end" projects
    Folks who have been at the company for a long time have a tendency to derail ongoing projects
    Management structure is lacking
    Benefits are not great

"A very good company, with the potential to be great."

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Zipcar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about Zipcar is our mission; those of us who've been here for years are truly passionate about taking cars off the road and making it easier to live a (mostly) car-free lifestyle in the city. We rely on the service ourselves, and many of our good friends are long-time customers, and when we let them down, we hear about it. Everyone has a vested interest in providing great service, and we are committed to our members.

Zipcar is still small, and for the most part it's a tight-knit community of employees. This is a place with no limitations on advancement; the only limit is your own drive and initiative. There's no, "put in another 2 years and you'll get the promotion" culture; those instances are few and far between, and are mostly based on perception, rather than reality. And because advancement isn't limited, people are able to help each other and collaborate without feeling threatened.

This is the kind of place where coworkers enjoy spending time with each other, whether playing company softball, planning post-work happy hours, or finding an empty conference room for some after-hours Mario Cart tournaments.

Cons

Zipcar has lost a clear vision. The lack of vision has lead to anxiety about the future, and excessive decision churn.

We were once the only game in town, literally creating the North American car sharing market. Our success and proof of the model has inspired myriad competitors to enter the space, and our leadership hasn't yet found a way to respond, through no fault of their own. Most of our senior leaders come from car rental backgrounds, and don't have experience leading a company through this phase of growth.

Though listed as a con, competition is also a positive. Now, more than ever, Zipcar will be forced to innovate and evolve. Professionally, we will all grow as this industry becomes increasingly competitive, and at the end of the day, our members will be rewarded with a better quality service at an even greater value.

Advice to Management

Focus on doing a few things well. Also, don't be afraid to ask for help. Having a title like "SVP" doesn't mean that you need to have all the answers - leverage your teams, and outside support.

"fleet associate"

Current Employee - Fleet Associate in Jackson Heights, NY
    Current Employee - Fleet Associate in Jackson Heights, NY

I have been working at Zipcar (More than a year)

Pros

great benefits and freedom at zipper

Cons

no overtime and also needs better pay

10. "Former Employee"

Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in Phila, PA

I worked at Zipcar (More than a year)

Pros

I worked a part time job as a brand ambassador and they were pretty flexible about working with my schedule. The supervisors were good.

Cons

There were less hours in the winter. There were also a few early morning shifts that couldn't be avoided.

Advice to Management

Continue to work on more opportunities in the winter months. It was good when I was there but could still be better.

11. "Fun people and company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Zipcar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people. Great culture. Loved working there. Everyone very collaborative. A place I worked where even though I left I remain friends with many of the people I met there.

Cons

Not sure how much they changed once they were bought by a larger car rental company. I was worried it may change the culture

Advice to Management

Make sure you stick with what made Zipcar great in the first place. Never change the culture. You will do great things.