Zipcar Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 2, 2017

4.0
Tracey Zhen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • None of the bad parts of a startup (except maybe understaffing and facilities) -- a huge emphasis on work life balance and sustainable pace (in 12 reviews)

• Very relaxed and fun work culture, great people in management, all around a wonderful experience (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much room for growth in the local offices typically (in 12 reviews)

• The parent company Avis Budget Group is extremely tone deaf and injects a lot of nonsense into the company's direction and processes (in 9 reviews)

1. "Engineer"

I have been working at Zipcar full-time

Pros

Good atmosphere, work life balance, friendly and comfortable environment.

Cons

Not an excess of perks

2. "Product Manager"

I have been working at Zipcar full-time

Pros

Caring, passionate set of colleagues in an exciting landscape.

Cons

Lots of turnover and less institutional knowledge.

Advice to Management

Push decision making down.

3. "Good place to start"

I worked at Zipcar full-time

Pros

Friendly, Innovative, Good start up and very simple tasks.

Cons

Miscommunications can happen a lot. Be prepared to clear up any misunderstandings or clarify before it happens. Some of the people on the team can be incompetent at times which can affect teamworking related tasks.

Advice to Management

Learn and become a fleet associate before becoming management. Coming in with actual management experience is a plus.

4. "Software teams stuck in limbo"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Zipcar as an intern

Pros

The office environment as well as the coworkers

Cons

Lack of communication between teams and management

5. "Brand Ambassador"

Former Intern - Brand Ambassador in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Brand Ambassador in Boston, MA

I worked at Zipcar as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good experience and great way to meet people around campus. This is a great networking opportunity as well.

Cons

Given a lot of busy work. Have to spend a lot of time planning events as well. Weekly calls cannot be rescheduled so you must be available during that time.

Advice to Management

Students working as brand ambassadors never got to meet their account managers or the team behind the scenes. It would have been nice to be able to see exactly who we were working with to better network.

6. "Great place to learn with many challenges ahead"

I worked at Zipcar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

While I understand where a lot of the negative reviews here are coming from, I decided to post my review to offer a different perspective based on my 2 years with the company.

I started as a junior in my field and Zipcar gave me the opportunity to own my specific area and grow. This was not small for me as it allowed me to catapult my career and gain a great deal of confidence in my field. For that reason, I'd recommend Zipcar for determined newbies looking to learn a new area, work hard, and prove themselves.

Other pros include:
    - Many great people who are helpful, care, and work hard
    - Casual and friendly office environment
    - Work life balance and flexibility
    - Positive mission that is easy to get behind

Cons

- Cultural disconnect between Zipcar and parent company, ABG makes it difficult to work on some projects
    - Some poor management that makes it hard to execute on initiatives that lack direction
    - Lack of trust across different offices can make it difficult to work together to achieve common goals

"Fun environment, some amazing people, a lot of disorganization"

Former Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA

I worked at Zipcar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Zipcar is a company that's easy to believe in—it truly has a positive impact in cities and it lets a lot of people live a lifestyle they wouldn't otherwise be able to live. Working at the company (I was at HQ) is relatively fun, given a pretty laid-back environment and a lot of energetic people. It's a fun brand with a useful service, so it's nice to be behind a good cause.

Cons

The company is run by people with less experience and business savvy than needed. They're all well-meaning, but every new initiative felt under-researched and not very well thought-out. We were constantly working on last-minute projects, rather than taking time to actually plan out long-term, and when we did get together for big brainstorms, it was all talk and no action.

Advice to Management

Focus on employee retention and be proactive rather than reactive.

Jun 19, 2017 – HR Director

8. "Positive and Supportive Work Place"

I worked at Zipcar full-time

Pros

Great team dynamics with support from management.

Cons

Benefits could be improved altogether.

Jun 19, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for your feedback! I love the team dynamics too! At Zipcar, we strive to create an environment where our employees feel open, comfortable and able to do their best work.

9. "Challenging Turn-Around Underway"

Current Employee - Home Office Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Home Office Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Zipcar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Zipcar is the leader in the car sharing space, which is rapidly evolving and an exciting space to work in. Zipcar's mission of car sharing helps the environment and helps make living in a city easier.

It's an extremely complicated business with logistics, technology and customer experience interlaced, and being on the inside of the machine and understanding how that works is fascinating.

There are some awesome, committed people working here, and they make this people run. Anyone willing to dig in can have an impact because there is a lot to do.
    Summer hours and flexible vacation policy. A fun and social environment.

Cons

Core product desperately needs to be fixed (see Pros on opportunity).
    The turnaround experience has made a lot of people weary and left them with a chip on their shoulder, which makes it difficult to move forward.
    Parent company does not understand the business and has historically spurred bad decisions.
    Engineering and product need to move faster.

Advice to Management

Fix the core experience. Start small and build from there. Move quickly and fix as you go along.

Jun 19, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for your feedback! I couldn’t agree more. Making a difference and having a bold mission creates meaningful work. Our colleagues are smart, fun and thoughtful. If you have suggestions, I'd... More

"Good job, good company but could be better"

Current Employee - Fleet Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Fleet Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Zipcar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compensation, benefits, no weekends, good people, laid back atmosphere, very diverse people, culture, paid vacation, employees treated well.

Cons

Communication, organization skills, strategy job security, GMs and top management switching a lot, upward mobility, repetitive job no real learning experiences.

Advice to Management

Only hire people in management who have experience dealing with Zipcar or hire more from within. Build a better relationship with Avis.

Apr 14, 2017 – HR Director

Thank you for your feedback! We love the culture here too. At Zipcar, we strive to create an environment where our employees feel open, comfortable and able to do their best work. If you have... More