Zipcar Reviews | Glassdoor

Zipcar Reviews

Updated May 12, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Very relaxed and fun work culture, great people in management, all around a wonderful experience (in 19 reviews)

• Company culture is very laid back (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Not much room for growth in the local offices typically (in 12 reviews)

• The parent company Avis Budget Group is extremely tone deaf and injects a lot of nonsense into the company's direction and processes (in 8 reviews)

1. "Awesome Company to Work For"

Former Employee - Freelancer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Freelancer in Boston, MA

Pros

An awesome group of people with great attitudes. Very relaxed and fun work culture, great people in management, all around a wonderful experience.

Cons

Project portals such as project place and workamajig are a headache to work with.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Mission-driven workplace. Highly-beloved brand."

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Zipcar full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people! So smart, collaborative, innovative. I am inspired by my colleagues and pushed to learn new things every day. People work here because they want to make cities better places to live, and to be involved in a cutting edge lifestyle project: getting fewer people to rely on a personal car. The marketing team is a fun, close-knit family. It is a great brand to work for - we have detractors as all large companies do - but we hear from members who love us. It's really special to have that kind of relationship with your customers.

Cons

As a grassroots start-up acquired by a large, traditional corporation, Zipcar has experienced many growing pains. Our parent company is smart in realizing that the future is innovative, urban mobility solutions like Zipcar, and that we are positioned to keep innovating and answering the needs of how people will get around in the future. (Not like in a Jetsons way, but in a sharing economy way.)

Advice to Management

1) The budgets for marketing are way too low for a brand of our size. That is a hinderance. Of course limitations do spark creative solutions, but to really get our message out there and grow, we need to improve our awareness through larger media spend, IMHO. 2) Think about your senior people and how to keep them engaged and loyal. A lot of changes has caused a lot of turn-over and loss of tons of great talent and tribal knowledge. Invest in the stars and give them the motivation to stay at Zipcar and grow, rather than take their passions elsewhere.

3. "Fun Job, you get what you put into it"

Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in Cedarburg, WI
    Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in Cedarburg, WI

I have been working at Zipcar (Less than a year)

Pros

got to meet great people

Cons

not very good management within company

"Fleet Associate"

Current Employee - Fleet Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Fleet Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Zipcar (More than a year)

Pros

Steady pay check is probably the best part.

Cons

Almost everything is wrong at this place.

"Brand Ambassador"

Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Zipcar (More than a year)

Pros

As a whole the company has a great mission.

Free snacks in the office is always a refreshing way to start a shift.

Beautiful open spacious office environment.

I worked TomorrowWorld and Zipcar gave me free VIP access when off duty. I was paid to mingle with the people of TomorrowWorld

Cons

The marketing team in the Atlanta office is awful. They promote incompetent employees and spread drama through the office. The staff is petty, and disrespectful, they have little faith in their employees and coworkers. They truly act like teenagers at the Atlanta location.

There is little room for advancement without kissing you know what (at least at this office). Your advancement is not based on merit. They work you like a dog and promote those who keep their opinions to advance the company quiet. They weed out anyone who may end up being a "threat" to the current manager of the departments position. If you ignore the problems within your company, you will never be able to address them and grow as a collective to better serve your customer.

Advice to Management

You'd increase employee satisfaction which would in turn increase economic flourishing through addressing instead of ignoring the problems within your teams. Instead of promoting externally the Atlanta office would benefit from fostering the talent from within, instead of shooing it away. You hire individuals who are eager to cross train but you pair them with members of team that stifle their development.

"Don't work here, a sinking ship"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Zipcar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is a highly social work environment where you will make friends and bond with your peers. The employee discount is great. The concept of car sharing itself is really interesting and innovative and being a part of that movement/industry is a great learning experience.

Cons

Tl;dr Do not work here. Stay far far away. It is a highly dysfunctional sinking ship.

The Zipcar New York office was a corrupt, abusive and damaging workplace while I was there. The problems started at the top with incompetent and corrupt management and trickled down.

The major issues in the NYC office were the unethical hiring practices ie. nepotism, sexual harassment and general neglect for it’s employees. The lack of critical thought and strategic planning was alarming.

Nepotism:
    Upper management in the NYC office spent the last 3-4 years stacking the rest of the management team with their highly unqualified friends from the gym and hotel industries. Managers so incompetent it was laughable, so openly informal and friendly with upper management that it was inappropriate. Multiple managers who were in charge of running whole departments did not possess basic computer, analytical and critical thinking skills but because they were friends with management they were protected from any consequences.

A Culture of Fear:
    Instead of investing in employee development, employees were set up to fail and pushed out or fired. There was a culture of fear established instead of support. Managers micromanaged because they didn't understand the product or how systems worked. Never have I worked in a place where intelligence, logic, respect and professionalism were so disregarded. Not only did these conditions affect the work environment and employee moral, it affected business. Poor business decisions were made by incompetent leadership affecting the bottom line.

Sexual Harassment:
    Local management and Zipcar HR ignored sexual harassment claims in the NYC office for years. Women in the office were often verbally harassed regarding their appearance, touched inappropriately, or subjected to sexist and inappropriate language and comments. This was something that became normalized and not taken seriously. Zipcar HR’s response to the sexual harassment claims was irresponsibly passive.

I have never seen an office of people so unanimously and collectively unhappy, miserable and stuck even while working to support and innovate a product: car sharing, that we all actually truly believed in and cared about.

Advice to Management

The entire company and the NYC office in particular need a complete overhaul in management to get rid of the toxic leadership that currently exists.

"Do not work here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Zipcar discount, cute office, thats it.

Cons

Low pay, long hours, no work/life balance, horrible management structure, no room for growth, requesting higher pay, let alone days off, employee drama, discrimination, micromanagement, poor communication between local and national office, a lot of lying and never ending issus from higher ups, I could keep going...

Advice to Management

Listen to those in local offices that are in the field or the face of consumers. Regardless of all the ways they attempt to let our 'concerns be heard' no changes were ever implemented. It was a big waste of time. A lot of employees that work at Zipcar stayed because they were passionate about the brand and left because it wasn't being reciprocated. In the major cities were Zipcar is located we cannot survive on just above minimum wage, restructure pay and start considering salaries. A lot of the positions are not easily replaceable or retaught in a short amount of time and you all continue to let good talent run away.

"You'll Stay For the People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Zipcar full-time

Pros

The people...some of the best co-workers I've ever had

Cons

The managers...some of the worst managers I've ever had

"Great People, Nice Leadership, Technical Debt out the wazoo"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Zipcar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Intelligent, kind, hardworking co-workers.

Working on a product that people actually like.

Feel like your doing some sort of good, at least in the context of taking extra cars off the road.

Very generous 401k match after 1st year.

Discount on rentals didn't hurt.

Cons

Pays way below market.

Finding healthcare providers (dentist, optometrist) who accept insurance difficult.

Questions to HR usually resulted in "Call this outsourced number our parent company provides."

Management difficult to get ahold of.

Doesn't believe in "fail-fast" for products, but does believe in it for workplace initiatives.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your people: follow through with what you say you're going to do and hold people accountable for what they say they're going to do.

"A great thing gone wrong"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Zipcar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Smart marketing team with lots of good background, skills and vision.

Cons

- Avis purchased has destroyed the brand and the customer loyalty.
    - Salaries are much lower than average

Advice to Management

Stop being so corny