Zipwhip Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2021

4.0
Zipwhip CEO John Lauer
John Lauer
Pros
  • "lunch on fridays(in 10 reviews)

• "Zipwhip is a fantastic place to work with a great culture(in 6 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The company is early-stage and has raw growing pains(in 7 reviews)

• "Work life balance has gotten better because unsustainable tech debt has ground engineering and product development to a halt(in 3 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

GREAT COMPANY TO WORK WITH

Apr 13, 2021 - Accountant Receivable in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great location, new office building, great co-workers, free lunch every Friday

Cons

No cons at all, totally great

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Best work culture in the 20+ years of my career

Oct 30, 2020 - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Work culture: We are definitely one for all and all for one, my problem is not really my problem but a team/engineering team problem. If I can't figure a solution or the cause of a problem, there is always someone there to help me at least find it. I left 1+ years into my initial start to go work for one of the biggest industrial conglomerates in the world, to find out that your problem is yours and even if somebody knows the solution and it takes 1 minute to tell you, you have to find it for yourself or else. So I came back (and was lucky enough to be re-hired) and I don't regret having come back. - We tackle serious technical challenges every day and although at the beginning the company did not want to take too many risks that has definitely changed. - Benefits: Not at FB, Amazon levels but very comparable to similar post-IPO companies in the area. - Excellent managers who treat you as a person and do REALLY care for you and not a "resource" from which to extract every single second of your life. Did I mention work culture yet ;-) - Very nice offices (pre-Covid) and plenty of drinks, fruits, coffee, etc. plus free lunch on Fridays (pre-Covid). - Transparency among the organization starting with the CEO.

Cons

- We have not had a bonus yet (it was instituted at the beginning of 2020) so we'll see how that works out on 2021 and with Covid. - Because of Covid our 401k match was paused (7+ months so far), and hoping it can be resumed in 2021

6 people found this review helpful

SVP, Engineering

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts. I’m thrilled to know that the culture the entire team has worked hard to cultivate is having such an impact on you. Our support of one another is critical in our efforts to deliver exceptional products for our customers and make this a great place to work. As mentioned at the last All Hands, we are excited to bring back these benefits starting January 2021. Be on the lookout for updates about that soon.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing company, amazing culture!

Mar 9, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Truly supportive, inclusive, caring culture. No doubts that my manager and team want me to succeed. Open communication and access to folks at all levels of leadership. On any given day I know I could reach out to Execs and I would get a thoughtful response. Weekly company-wide meetings to share a status update about "the good, the bad, and the ugly" (emphasis on the good) Tons of opportunity for growth as the company continues to scale at an impressive rate.

Cons

Folks are busy. This isn't so much a "con" in my book, as an expected reality of a successful start-up. Meetings may get shifted, just remain flexible.

2 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0

A Truly Great Place To Work

Mar 13, 2021 - NOC Technician in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Zipwhip was a great place to work. Though I'm happy with my decision to move on to another opportunity, I deeply miss working there. The company culture is great. It leans heavily on the "We're a late-stage startup!" vibe, but instead of being cloying it somehow manages to feel authentic. The only reason they can pull this off is because of the great people they have working there. The vast majority of people working there are both incredibly talented and very friendly, and I miss working with them on a daily basis. The company is also very responsive to the needs of their employees and willing to be flexible.

Cons

They'd benefit from a more formal pathway for internal advancement.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

So close, yet so far...

Jan 14, 2021 - Anonymous in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company has a good group of people (at all levels of the org) trying to make business texting as ubiquitous and simple as texting with your family and friends. You'll find career opportunities if you put the time and effort to drive positive change across teams. Since the creation of L&D last year, the culture has shifted dramatically to focus on coaching, development, and performance management.

Cons

Sometimes we make decisions like a big heavy corporation that operates a monopoly, and not like a startup within a very competitive market. Being so slow is a competitive disadvantage; it frustrates teams and destroys employee engagement. We are losing great talent for our lack of decisiveness in the way we operate.

SVP, People

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I’m excited to hear you are finding opportunities to grow your career while surrounded by people you enjoy. Investing in our people in development, coaching, and improved performance management has definitely been a focus- appreciate hearing your positive view here. I also appreciate you sharing your honest feedback about decision making and recommendation on a centralized data team. We understand that to be competitive we must move quickly and be decisive. This feedback is vital right now as we continue to grow and expand. If you would like to share or discuss more I’d love to hear more thoughts. Please reach out to me or your manager as insights such as this will help us be a better company.

6. 1.0

Inappropriate Favoritism

Jan 29, 2021 - Technical Support
      Business Outlook

Pros

If management likes you then you will receive support and many chances to succeed.

Cons

Zipwhip is still figuring out its internal policies and often feels like a very new startup with a tiny hr team and not very many resources for employees. This would be fine if the people they hire were/are good people (not everyone is bad- I have lots of friends still that work there). Certain management is very unprofessional and makes it transparent who they "like." Those few favorites can do no wrong. Career development should not be limited to who you know and the safety of the workspace should not be put in jeopardy because management is friends with their reports. The most serious issue is that managers don't listen or care about complaints made regarding inappropriate behavior in the workplace (yelling, harassment, rude comments, inappropriate requests from senior members of the teams ect). Other software companies have had weeks of training related to safe workplaces, but Zipwhip had one-afternoon training-no follow-up. It is strange to have worked at a new company that has such a dated culture (racism/sexism/&metrics over people). I still have friends who work there and from the sound of it, it has only gotten worse. They pay well but you will hate your job.

7. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Insane JD scope creep - no power to make your own decisions

Nov 19, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company has really great people working for it and C-level management seems to genuinely want good things for their employees. There's enthusiasm in spades throughout the company and you can tell that many people genuinely love working here.

Cons

The work I was told I would be doing when I was hired ended up only being about 30% of the job and the role rapidly expanded to include many things outside what I originally signed up for (including 24 hour on-call pager duty). Management and HR brushed this off as "working for a startup" and refused to even consider pay alterations to match the actual JD. Performance reviews were based off of metrics I had no control over. Resources feel horribly miss-managed and decisions are made (at least when I was working there) based off what 'feels' right rather than what the data and market trends show. Work is done for work's sake and projects are celebrated based on completion rates rather than results. Higher level managers and HR had zero empathy for work-life balance issues and explained that if I didn't want to work 60 hour weeks, I 'wouldn't be happy in any startup'.

4 people found this review helpful

Zipwhip

I am very sorry to hear about this experience. I would really like an opportunity to hear more about your experience if you’re willing to reach out to either me directly or to the people ops team. Thank you.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Fantastic Place to Work!!

Apr 2, 2021 - Other/Not Applicable
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great people; executives continually show care and respect for all associates through communications and actions; fantastic benefit package

Cons

None! I would recommend Zipwhip to anyone!

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Atmosphere

Feb 18, 2021 - Customer Support
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pay is better than any support role I've ever been in. Leadership in the department is great, and atmosphere is friendly and welcoming.

Cons

Only con was having to commute to Queen Anne, but with WFH being an option now it's no longer an issue.

Zipwhip

We love hearing this! Thanks for being part of the team and sharing your review.

10. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

due diligence required

Mar 12, 2021 - Billing Specialist in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

a job, fun coworkers, some nice people

Cons

not really a start up as they've been in business a long time and not gone public. If you are even offered shares, keep this in mind. They do a lot of self promotion to get voted being a best place to work, best place for women, but do your due diligence on this!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 85 Reviews