Zirtual Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Maren Kate

Pros
  • Even with a firm schedule (necessary in any business to provide clients with a great experience) a work from home position is inherently more flexible (in 77 reviews)

• Work from anywhere with clients coast to coast and in some cases, overseas (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • It can be a challenge to get and keep full time clients (in 6 reviews)

• There was no warning or any kind of courtesy to let us know we should begin looking for other jobs (in 6 reviews)

1. "The Best Company for Virtual Assistants"

Current Employee - Virtual Administrative Assistant in Temple Hills, MD
    Current Employee - Virtual Administrative Assistant in Temple Hills, MD

I have been working at Zirtual part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Zirtual is great at matching companies with virtual assistants.

Cons

Clients could transfer to another virtual assistant without warning current virtual assistant.

Advice to Management

N/A

2. "Interesting Job, Terrible Pay"

Former Employee - Zirtual Assistant in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Zirtual Assistant in Portland, OR

Pros

Interesting work with a flexiable schedule. Lots of support available if you know where to look.

Cons

Terrible pay. I was promised I could reach my full client load in a few weeks, but after 2 months I was still making very little money.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with more support and respect. That includes paying a decent wage.

3. "Zirtual Assistant"

I worked at Zirtual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This truly is an amazing company with great core values and dreams. They have a strong training program that truly prepares you for the job and a wonderful support system.

Cons

Lower pay and demanding timelines make the work difficult at times. I was trying to balance this with being a mom and it was too much. I had to account for every minute of the day, so not very flexible.

4. "Not Great"

Former Employee - Zirtual Assistant in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Work From home , Making new connections with clients

Cons

Management, micro-managing, shady people, Not following the companies ethics

Advice to Management

Have more faith in your employees.

5. "Not a bad place if you want to be a contractor"

Former Employee - Zirtual Assistant in Cantonment, FL
    Former Employee - Zirtual Assistant in Cantonment, FL

I worked at Zirtual (More than a year)

Pros

I loved the flexibility that being an independent contractor provided. The new Z team also is very supportive and my direct supervisors were helpful and understanding with any problems or questions.

Cons

Not all clients are awesome, it can be difficult to balance work/life, lack of employee benefits because of the contractor status, there was also no room to move up in the company or any desire to transition contractors to become employees long-term.

Advice to Management

I think that they should have explored making some of the virtual VAs back to FT employees for those who wanted that.

6. "what a mess :)"

Former Employee - Virtual Assistant in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Virtual Assistant in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Zirtual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the idea of zirtual was really great - provide virtual administrative/personal assistant support to a number of clients. i enjoyed working with my majority of my clients and got exposure to some cool industries. working from home was great.

Cons

the rules changed all the time, pay was very low for the work expected from us, clique-y management. having to time your work down to the minute was annoying.

7. "Ready to change"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Zirtual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Secure company nice people so so benefits

Cons

Interaction with management better benefits

Advice to Management

Recognize talent more often

"Zirtual? Seriously???"

Former Employee - Zirtual Assistant in Remote, OR
    Former Employee - Zirtual Assistant in Remote, OR

I worked at Zirtual full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work remotely from home.
    Started with Z in 11/13 as an IC with FLEXIBILITY and fairly decent pay!
    Escaped, with ALL 9 of my clients, on 12/19/14 and started my own VA company!

Cons

When forced to transition to an "employee" or "lose my job", things went downhill pretty fast. My pay was cut drastically, was forced to work more than 50 hours per week without overtime pay; had to provide and maintain my OWN equipment; yada yada yada. When I realized my income would more than double if I left Z and started my own VA company, I began to plan and put things in motion while still working for Z and kept my mouth shut.

I broke one rule but did nothing illegal. I told all of my clients I was leaving 3 weeks before my planned escape. THEY did not want ANOTHER transfer to a new assistant (most of my clients had 2 or 3 assistants before me) so THEY asked me "where are you going"? I did not coerce them away from Z. THEY asked me to take them with me... so I did! One of the best decisions of my life. And Z was furious!! But could do absolutely nothing about it.

When I heard the news on August 11, 2015... 400+ employees laid off and thousands of clients without VA's, I was not the least bit surprised. It was only a matter of time and I knew it was coming. You could say I was lucky... luck had nothing to do with it. I was smart... and got out before Z could hurt me any more than they already had.

Advice to Management

Nothing to say to past management; too late now... they know what they did and in the end, Karma will come into play if it hasn't already.

To new management.. I find it interesting that there is not even ONE positive review here since you've taken over. I've read elsewhere that you've actually LOWERED the pay scale. Being a VA (a good one) is a hard job. Most companies are paying at least $15/hour if not more. The better you treat your IC's or employees, the more loyalty you receive from them and the better job they will do for you. As a business owner myself, it amazes me that so few truly understand that concept. Wake up! And maybe consider shutting Z down completely. Very few want anything to do with Zirtual. Maybe you should start over and change the name.

9. "Zirtual Zoke"

Former Employee - Zirtual Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Zirtual Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Zirtual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at home is always a bonus - unless you work for Zirtual.

Cons

My main issue with working at Zirtual was the awful attitude of management. The inflexibility of the working environment once they changed everyone's hours and pay structure in one fell swoop was very inconducive to the supposed flexibility of working at home.

Advice to Management

Don't fire over 400 employees via email with no notice. Don't tell said employees to try to work out a private arrangement with their clients - particularly if you intend to turn around and attempt to woo those same clients back by undercutting those aforementioned 400 employees.

10. "We all got let go by email."

Former Employee - Zirtual Assistant in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Zirtual Assistant in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Zirtual full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

To begin with, it was really exciting. Everything was shiny and looked promising. I thought the pay was even pretty decent for what I was being asked to do.

Cons

The entire company was not functioning on a financial level -- at all. There was no warning or any kind of courtesy to let us know we should begin looking for other jobs. Instead, just total shutdown one Monday, out of the blue.

Advice to Management

Please don't keep trying to do the startup thing. It's not working for you. Not to say that it was easy, but maybe stick to Etsy.