Zoës Kitchen Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Zoës Kitchen CEO Kevin Miles
Kevin Miles

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work/Life balance *Support from Home Office *People" (in 21 reviews)

• "Given a free meal to employees who worked a shift," (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • "Pressure for growth without a lot of support, low pay for staff" (in 13 reviews)

• "Fast paced environment with smaller teams can lead to heavy workloads" (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best brand I've ever worked for"

Current Employee - Regional Operator
    Current Employee - Regional Operator

I have been working at Zoës Kitchen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is easily the most fun I've had working at any concept in my career. The leadership is solid, the food is fantastic, the team has a high chance of success, and the Guests truly enjoy what we're doing. The tremendous growth and the opportunities it brings are added bonuses. There is enough structure and support so that you aren't on your own but not so much that it kills the energy you can bring to your team.

Cons

I don't consider it a con, but you have to like to work at a high pace with a lot going on at any time, either in or out of store. If you're not ready to be "all in" you won't enjoy it. But if you like to be busy and build sales, this is the right place.

2. "Mentor general manager"

Current Employee - General Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - General Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Zoës Kitchen full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

4 weeks of vacation a year, 401k matching,

Cons

Hiring team members, training the hourly,

3. "Shift Leader"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at Zoës Kitchen (More than a year)

Pros

Very Flexible and able to communicate directly with other co-workers and managers.

Cons

Not much room to move up.

Advice to Management

Be willing to rewards the team a bit more often

"You can send an S.O.S., but no one will listen."

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Zoës Kitchen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Zoes Kitchen promotes a great culture and offers a simple, efficient approach to running a restaurant.

Cons

The company continues to struggle with year over year sales while their units run inconsistently at best. If you go into management be prepared-- you will be required to work as both an hourly and a manager. To make matters worse, the support will be lacking as well as HQ is mainly focused on pleasing shareholders. This results in continued cost-reduction strategies that squander long-term growth.

Advice to Management

Reading "Good to Great" by Jim Collins can shed some light on some of the company's main issues. Staffing/simplification within their existing restaurants is the most prevalent issue in my opinion-- followed by the failure of upper-level management to properly assess their external/internal environment. Their business model as well is not conducive with rapid expansion and therefore should be re-assessed.

5. "Cool... i guess"

Pros

Coworkers are nice. The people that you work with make the time go by fast

Cons

Management. Our General manager juat doesnt care about his store . The pay is also bad. It is super hard to get a raise.

Advice to Management

Check up on General managers

"No accountability from corporate"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Zoës Kitchen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Oh, I guess I should write my five word minimum

Cons

Store managements job is to take the fall for poor corporate policies, in every way.

They won’t let you give anyone a pay increase, but they hold you accountable if people quit to go work someplace that pays more. They make constant changes to the systems and think that stores should be able to flawlessly pull them off in no time without using any additional labor hours. If you make any sort of small mistake as a low level manager, you will be called out in front of the entire executive team. Basically, Zoes won’t be happy until every person on the pay role hates themselves.

Advice to Management

You know everything, you don’t need any advise. You’re so much better than all of us, you perfect humans! I’m joking, you’re a bunch of soulless monsters and the company is going to fall apart beyond the point of repair under the current reign of blame shifting that you people call “leadership”

7. "Company values quantity over quality..."

Current Employee - Shift Manager
    Current Employee - Shift Manager

I have been working at Zoës Kitchen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Let me know if you find some.

Cons

Upper-management expects the highest quality and astronomical quantity of work while paying employees peanuts.

Advice to Management

Your people promote you. Employees are the ones who sell your brand daily. Why undervalue them?

"A hot mess"

Former Employee - Server/Hostess in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Server/Hostess in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Zoës Kitchen part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good food and ended up with some decent coworkers, that’s all

Cons

Got let go over a text (real professional!)
    When they were in season we were short staff and I always offered to pick up shifts. BUT be careful when doing that because then they just assume you have no life outside of work, I guess, because then they keep asking and keep expecting that from you. Suddenly we’re out of season and over labor so they cut hours but they hired someone new, when I asked for more hours (the hours I was previously working before the new hire we’re fine, I just wanted to stay at those hrs). One of their assistant managers was never fired for sexual harassment, instead they sent him to classes! For a while they didn’t do tips but then they started which I liked but then I also found out they were divided with BOH. Really the BOH gets paid more than FOH and it’s because of customer service that customers will leave a decent tip. They also only did tips monthly, but when divided among the entire staff basically comes out to nothing.
    The management kept change because a new location just opened, and the current one just doesn’t have any professionalism. My scheduled was mostly nights, by the time I would get there nothing in the FOH was done, so the closing people (usually me and another) had to do double the work.
    I think all problems are just swept under the rug and noting is ever taken care of.

Advice to Management

Hire more professional managers, and know what’s happening in your restaurants. I felt like there was no open door policy, where if I was having trouble I couldn’t talk to anyone hire up than my gm.

9. "Great"

Pros

Food is amazing and tasty.

Cons

Manager is not the best.

"Probably don't plan on working here long term"

Current Employee - Host in Metairie, LA
    Current Employee - Host in Metairie, LA

I have been working at Zoës Kitchen (Less than a year)

Pros

Great food and generally flexible hours. Not opened crazy-late so closing shifts don't put you past mid ight coming home

Cons

Flagrant disregard for federal and state labor laws and local environmental laws. Multiple employees have reported being intimidated both in person and internal emails regarding the discussion of salaries (protected 1935 Labor Relations Act) and violations of Louisiana statute regarding the collection of fees or fines without intent to bring legal avtion. Managers use cash tips to make up shortages in drawers and then argue that it's OK because technically the store is 'no-tip' however tips are used as a lure in hiring to sweeten lower hourly rates and there is no signage or indication to customers not to tip. Furthermore, the argument of "well we aren't reporting these tips to the IRS" is used to hush workers who want to keep their tips. Jefferson Parish ordinance specifically prohibits the dumping, intentional or otherwise , of anything other than storm water down storm drains however the mop water is, as store policy, dumped out the back door and down just such a drain, causing it to back up in heavy rain as well.

Advice to Management

Read a law book and pay your workers a decent salary if you actually want a no-tip store. Don't assume everyone you hire is just a dumb kid who won't know their rights. Stop stretching shifts by sending people home when it gets slow. People will work hard for a stable income and this hurts that. Resist corporate forcing you into these decisions.