Zoës Kitchen Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Zoës Kitchen CEO Kevin Miles
Kevin Miles

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work/Life balance *Support from Home Office *People" (in 21 reviews)

• "Given a free meal to employees who worked a shift," (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • "Pressure for growth without a lot of support, low pay for staff" (in 13 reviews)

• "Fast paced environment with smaller teams can lead to heavy workloads" (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best brand I've ever worked for"

Current Employee - Regional Operator
    Current Employee - Regional Operator

I have been working at Zoës Kitchen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is easily the most fun I've had working at any concept in my career. The leadership is solid, the food is fantastic, the team has a high chance of success, and the Guests truly enjoy what we're doing. The tremendous growth and the opportunities it brings are added bonuses. There is enough structure and support so that you aren't on your own but not so much that it kills the energy you can bring to your team.

Cons

I don't consider it a con, but you have to like to work at a high pace with a lot going on at any time, either in or out of store. If you're not ready to be "all in" you won't enjoy it. But if you like to be busy and build sales, this is the right place.

2. "Zoes Kitchen"

Current Employee - Shift Leader
    Current Employee - Shift Leader

I have been working at Zoës Kitchen part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company that cares for their employees.

Cons

Scheduling can sometimes be a problem.

3. "management"

Pros

fresh, tasty food, good hours

Cons

too many changes happening weekly to keep up

"This company gets less “people first” by the day"

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Zoës Kitchen full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It used to be a very positive work environment and some of my old coworkers are like family, but everyone has fled

Cons

Zoes Kitchen is always short staffed and they don’t care at all that they are literally destroying people’s lives by not allowing them the time they need in order to keep their personal life afloat. Half of the stores in my area have only one salaried manager and corporate shows absolutely no urgency in fixing that. Meaning that one manager is forced to try to be in store as much as possible because if any guest complain about any thing you will be treated less than human by your boss for weeks to come, with no acknowledgement that your boss is the person who is supposed to be responsible for making sure each store has a minimum of two salierd manager (which is honestly too few the way that they keep on piling on). Gms at one manager stores are frequently cancelling things like doctors appointments because of staffing issues and basically being told that they should be better at hiring if they want days off (by MOs who are themselves very short staffed, yet still get their days off) the company does not allow gms to hire agms, nor are we given the time to do so.

The labor system was recently updated in a way that was supposed to be better for us, however no one at the home office seems to understand how it works and we in the field certainly don’t. We just know that they want us to fill more positions without using more labor hours...not sure how that is supposed to work.

Everything is sprung in us at the last minute. They add a menu item or delete it, or change the app, or change how the schedules are to be written, or change the bonus structure, or change the model for food safety audit, or change the way pay raises are entered, or change the way matinence request are submitted, or change whatever else they want with close to no prep time and expect us to carry it off without missing a beat.

You are expecting to always have your Phone in 24/7...being a manger at Zoes Kitchen in 2018 WILL destroy every personal realationship you have and then you are just staying because you feel like your coworkers are the only people in you life.

Advice to Management

Be better people, be accountable for you part in what isn’t working. IE- if a store that is short managers is running poor results don’t act like the buck should stop with the GMs who are working 70-80 hours a week to compensate for all of the people who you aren’t recruiting.

Stop making 20 changes a month and acting shocked when things start to fall through the cracks. I’ve been with the company for almost 7 years and honestly feel like I need to go through training again because every week we changed the way everything is done.

5. "Shift Leader"

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Zoës Kitchen part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The schedule is flexible and the job is easy to learn and master. If you want to get promoted all you have to do is make it known. If you want a raise, all you have to do is wait your 6 months and then ask. Coworkers are some of the best people I have ever met.

Cons

It is not uncommon for everything to fall onto just your shoulders. Long story short, this company is the golden standard of short staffing. AGMs and GMs are scheduled to work with you and one other person (so just 3 people in the front of the store) but then they have to separate and do tons of other chores on the computer. Some take advantage of this, taking their sweet time to finish their tasks and/or ignore the state of the store while doing it. Nothing was ever more annoying than having to clean the entire restaurant after a rush while having to take orders and run food just because management has to do whatever on the computer.

Then, best part, they'll ask you to stay an hour later because they still have not finished their management tasks.

Advice to Management

Learn how to properly schedule. Clearly the bottom line isn't hurting if BOGO entrees is on the agenda every month. Also, for the love of whoever you believe in, FIX. THE. APP.

6. "What to expect"

Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant General Manager in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Zoës Kitchen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great food, thats all I have

Cons

Promotes 45 hours for managers. Only a few stores can pull this off.
    Employees first, They say and do another

Advice to Management

Go big for salary

"Never will shatter the glass ceiling"

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Addison, TX
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Addison, TX

I have been working at Zoës Kitchen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's casual, easy job, not a lot of cleaning. It meets fast food and Mediterranean food with casual dining but no tips even though you serve food and bus tables.

Cons

Management doesn't want you to get to corporate until you have worked and bled for the company, they promise you things they can't give you just so you shut up. Your management team is full of smoke and mirrors, so stay in line or leave.

Advice to Management

Be honest with your employees and just listen to them and work with them. get inti trenches with us be one of us and be a team member.

"STAY AWAY!!!!"

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Zoës Kitchen full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Concept is good and unique

Cons

I have been with this company for almost 10 years. They have been getting progressively horrible year after year due to mismanagement from home office all the way down to the stores. Cutting labor and being expected to do a tremendous amount of work is the norm around here. They keep changing the menu time after time adding more and more labor intensive work with hardly any hours to work with. Getting a raise is also notoriously difficult. You're always being told to wait 6 months and in some cases of my former coworkers 2 years. They like to build this culture of "share goodness" within your personal life and within the premises of Zoe's. This is all a lie. They claim to put employees first but they don't. They're so busy trying to make a profit due to executives in the company mismanaging the company in general. They are bleeding money and they are making employees at the store level work extra hard to turn the company around . Stay away at all cost!! So many good people that have put their hard work at this place day after day have fled because the company's downward spiral. Do the research. It used to be a wonderful company to work for until they expanded so fast and became so greedy.

Advice to Management

This company is supposedly run on the mantra of "share goodness" make sure you share that "goodness" with all your store employees. They don't get put first. They are the back bone of your company treat them right instead of worrying about chasing a dollar.

9. "Not too bad until they get you where it hurts"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative/Shift Lead in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative/Shift Lead in Austin, TX

I have been working at Zoës Kitchen part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It wan't that bad of a company to work at until you get the rug pulled out from under you out of nowhere and they take away the position I was working for close to 3 years and go from 40 hours a week, Monday-Friday with nights and weekends off, to being de promoted to just shift lead and fighting to get hours and barely scraping 20 hours a week.

And after working for 3 years with M-F with nights and weekends off I'm expected to open my availability to nights and weekends overnight, at the drop of a hat, just to get hours (not that there's much to give anyway).

But if you're looking for a decent part time job, you will never be full time with this company unless you're a manager, this one is a good fit.

Cons

Too many menu changes every quarter, it's a waste of resources and customers get really sick of all the constant changes.

Getting raises is like pulling teeth. Lot's of "I'm doing my best to push for your raise" every week.

Advice to Management

Realize how much of an impact you make to thee people who run your stores when you make decisions.

Wish I would have known about the change sooner so I wouldn't have wasted my time working a position I loved that was eventually going to be axed.

10. "A mess"

I worked at Zoës Kitchen part-time

Pros

You get a decent amount of hours if you ask for them

Cons

Extremely overworked for the amount we are paid. Generally not a good environment to work in, it’s all about how much money we can make for the company. No meal compensation during shifts, even if you’ve been working for 8+ hours

Advice to Management

Care about your employees... at least a little bit. It would be nice. We work extremely hard and get very little in return.