Zoës Kitchen Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Zoës Kitchen CEO Kevin Miles
Kevin Miles

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/Life balance *Support from Home Office *People (in 20 reviews)

• Given a free meal to employees who worked a shift, (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Pressure for growth without a lot of support, low pay for staff (in 12 reviews)

• Fast paced environment with smaller teams can lead to heavy workloads (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best brand I've ever worked for"

Current Employee - Regional Operator
    Current Employee - Regional Operator

I have been working at Zoës Kitchen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is easily the most fun I've had working at any concept in my career. The leadership is solid, the food is fantastic, the team has a high chance of success, and the Guests truly enjoy what we're doing. The tremendous growth and the opportunities it brings are added bonuses. There is enough structure and support so that you aren't on your own but not so much that it kills the energy you can bring to your team.

Cons

I don't consider it a con, but you have to like to work at a high pace with a lot going on at any time, either in or out of store. If you're not ready to be "all in" you won't enjoy it. But if you like to be busy and build sales, this is the right place.

2. "Shift leader"

I worked at Zoës Kitchen full-time

Pros

Wonderful food and the management was great!

Cons

They kept taking away some of the perks, such as free food.

Advice to Management

More opportunities for growth.

3. "Cook"

Former Employee - Line Cook in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Line Cook in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Zoës Kitchen part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of hand on experience. Nice atmosphere. Good pay once you learn an hour.

Cons

Stressful. Time consuming. Low pay to start.

Advice to Management

Be comprehensive. Attitude is everything. Understand as much as you can about the kitchen and hows its handled.

4. "Zoe's Kitchen in Belle Meade (Nashville)"

Former Employee - Host/Cashier in Belle Meade, Davidson, TN
    Former Employee - Host/Cashier in Belle Meade, Davidson, TN

I worked at Zoës Kitchen part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved the culture there. many of my coworkers became good friends and I felt like it was a pleasure to work with everyone! The hours were also pretty flexible because I worked there while I was in high-school and needed a limit.

Cons

My boss was really cool but sometimes he was really forgetful when I needed a shift changed or other things that i notified him about in advance. I also felt that I should have gotten better raises because at one point all of the new hires were starting at 9$ and i had worked there for a year and got $8.50. The managers also sent the occasional mixed signal about costumer service and refunds.

Advice to Management

Make a more clear statement on how to deal with customers who are upset. sometimes I was told to give them cake, others I would refund their entire purchase and sometimes if we were busy we would do nothing.

5. "shift leader"

I worked at Zoës Kitchen part-time (More than a year)

Pros

learned a lot about customer service and team work that can be used elsewhere.

Cons

management expects employees to do every job available. could be better broken up into different job categories to relief some of the constant change

6. "Decent place for a Student"

Former Employee - Shift Lead
    Former Employee - Shift Lead

I worked at Zoës Kitchen part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I happened to work with a decent general store manager and a cool assistant manager. I was the Shift Lead, that's the title for someone who takes over the role of managers when they step out. I have a little more responsibility than cashiers and I've been told that it places me above even the back kitchen staff. Anyway, it paid $10ish an hour and it was a decent part time job close to home. I loved working there, even when I didn't need the job anymore. I got the hang of the job very quickly. I like how Zoes Kitchen seems to emphasize company culture. They encouraged me when I wanted to arrange team building events.

Cons

The managers were ruled by a general region manager who would come and check on the store periodically. I felt that there was a general fear whenever the region manager came in. My store manager always seemed stressed and that stress translates into our work. We felt job insecurity-- we could lose it at the whim of the regional.

It was also very difficult to get a personal day off.

7. "Shift Supervisor"

Pros

A company that cares! Healthy Food!

Cons

Pay could have been a little more competitive.

Advice to Management

Nothing really. You guys rock!

8. "Horrible experience"

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Zoës Kitchen part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool for part time min wage if you don't wanna make money or hours. You can advance quickly if you try.

Cons

Management, hours cut often, lied to. When you're promoted they barely pay you. Hours are cut so much so don't expect to have a full time position here.

Advice to Management

Treat employees better! The worst job I've ever had because of the management. Please don't work employees to death and not pay them!

9. "Great food and company"

Former Employee - Prep/Line Cook in Harahan, LA
    Former Employee - Prep/Line Cook in Harahan, LA

I worked at Zoës Kitchen part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is friendly and open to suggestions - it's very important to them that you know you're part of a team at Zoe's.
    Food is good and healthy, with a decent discount.

Cons

Corporate policy can be frustrating, you may be prevented a raise you well deserve.
    If you're not working part time FOH you're probably stretched thin.
    Workload can be heavy, especially in times of high turnover.

Advice to Management

The GM shouldn't be put in the position where they feel it necessary to schedule an underpaid prep cook 38 hours a week with no benefits.

10. "New Upper Management is destroying the company"

I worked at Zoës Kitchen full-time

Pros

There are still a few smart people who haven’t been pushed out by the new home office staff yet, but it seems that they are pretty much completely ignored.

Cons

The moment that stock prices dipped for a minute the board pushed out the COO and replaced him with people who have since pushed out all of the people who built the company from the ground up. In 6 months time the company has changed completely. Sometimes change is good and change is alway necessary to stay relevant but it is awful for morale to throw everything that thousands of people have spent years of their lives building in to a wood chipper to try (and fail at) satisfying shareholders with out first soliciting any feedback from the field.

The stores are chronically short staffed because they do not pay as well as industry leaders like Walmart (sarcastic and yet true) yet they expect absolute perfection. The labor system doesn’t allow you to have a reasonable number of people working in each store, so salaried managers end up working 14 hour days, working on their days off and not being able to use any of their vacation time, all while the company pats it self on the back for offering a great work life balance and being “people first”.

The upper management is doing their absolute best to lower the amount of impact made by managers by replacing any thinking that they may need to do with an excessive number of redundant checklist and training videos instead of hiring strong leaders and empowering them to use their brains. Basically, the systems have gone from being a resource for strong managers (absolutely necessary) to being a substitute for strong managers (we’ve been replaced by a video made by an intern.)

The company culture has shifted so that the solution to every problem is to publicly shame people when ever anything goes wrong, ie the COO requiring an email with like 10 senior managers cc’ed in order to offer a guest a refund for a messed up order and company wide list of who has and has not completed all of the previously mentioned redundant videos.

No employee meals for hourly team members who have been with the company for less than a year? Really guys? They can’t afford our food at 50% off we don’t pay them a living wage!

It’s really depressing to watch something that you once loved be completely destroyed by a group of people who don’t have the courage to step outside of the box and make innovative choices.

Advice to Management

Keep on being people first!

Hire more recruiters instead of more marketers.

Pay hourly team members more or allow for more team members on the clock.