Zocalo Group Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Zocalo Group President & CEO Paul M. Rand
Paul M. Rand

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A positive environment to learn, grow and thrive"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Zocalo Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Intelligent, kind, friendly colleagues. Big-name clients in a small agency setting.Good focus on inter-department communication and collaboration. Opportunities for growth within role and within company's ranks. Consistent innovation within the industry. Highly recommended for both newcomers to the industry and those looking to elevate their careers within social media and word-of-mouth marketing

Cons

Workload can fluctuate greatly depending on time of month or year

Advice to Management

Continue your great focus on innovation in the industry and partnership with Critical Mass

2. "Best work I've seen out of any digital agency"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Zocalo Group full-time

Pros

Committed and open leadership. Smart and fun people. Always pushing to do right by team members and clients. I like coming to work just about every day and feel good about what I'm learning.

Cons

Time and billing system (Peoplesoft) is awful. Sounds like we may be moving away from it soon. Can't happen fast enough.

Advice to Management

Focus on fixing the admin issues and let us do great work!

"Smart people and good work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Paul is a fantastic leader and there are some really bright, creative minds in the agency. They do a good job of concepting ideas and integrating them across account, digital and creative services.

Cons

Sometimes it seemed as if the agency was staffed a little improperly-- very slim on specialty areas (research, creative, digital) but lots of support on account teams.

Advice to Management

Keep up the creativity and innovation, and invest in the bright minds you want to keep around and develop

"A good place to be."

Pros

Great people. Fun, funny, and light-hearted. Nice team atmosphere. Strong creative team. Lots of hard-working, talented people who are on their game.

Cons

Long hours due to a lot of new business pitches. Lots of recurring weekly/monthly work that can get tedious.

"Zocalo Group"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Felt connected to my team and account managers, was given room to perform new and innovative tasks that benefited the agency and our clients from time to time. Felt a good connection to other younger employees, strong creative team with lots of ideas. Overall I really enjoyed my time at Zocalo Group and walked away with boatloads of experience.

Cons

Felt a bit stifled at times creatively, lots of recurring monthly work that tended to get tedious. Working in a corporate agency can be a bit unglamorous from time to time.

Advice to Management

Zocalo Group has prided itself on its ability to adapt to the new social landscape, I think it would be awesome to think of new ways to restructure internally away from the "traditional" hierarchy of management and put younger team members in more dynamic roles that speak to their passion points.

"Unstable management"

Pros

Good opportunity to build resume and portfolio working on big brands.

Cons

There's no cohesiveness between groups and departments, resulting in an inefficient and out of touch machine. Corporate agency that doesn't lend well to growth for employees and creativity. A lot of turnover and inner turmoil, especially on the creative and account teams.

Advice to Management

Management is too focused on meeting expectations of clients. They'd do well to invest growth opportunities to their employees.

"Zocalo Group"

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Zocalo Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers. Fun work environment. Great benefits. Good senior leadership.

Cons

Long hours. Rigid corporate structure. a general lack of creativity at times.

"Account Coordinator"

Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Zocalo Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Loved working in this place. The vibe, energy, and people were great, down from the CEO to the interns. I was very lucky to land this job as it was my first job in Chicago but more importantly because of the skills I was able to gain, as well as well as the deep understanding of social media. Everyone there is truly an expert in the social media realm and I was grateful to meet and work with some of the industry's best. Everyone knows how much social media has changed the marketing world and the business world as a whole. If you're looking for a foot in the door or simply want to become more social media savvy then this company is the company for you!

Cons

I truly appreciated my time at this job, so on my part I have no cons to share. Put in the time, effort, and energy and they'll notice.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, Paul!

9. "Great experience learning basics of social media marketing"

Pros

Learned a lot of basics related to creating content, social media marketing on basic platforms like Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn

Cons

Senior Management not always transparent about state of business

"Out of touch, borderlining on incopatent"

Former Employee - Creative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Creative in Chicago, IL

Pros

I would like to say that there were some pros here but I really can't.

Cons

The work is elementary, and the leadership lacks the ability to deliver clear actionable direction. Their potential to develop strategic marketing campaigns is extremely questionable. I would highly recommend that if place any weight on quality and craftsmanship I would stay clear.

Advice to Management

You might want to reconsider your staffing choices.