Zocdoc Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Zocdoc CEO and Co-Founder Oliver Kharraz
Oliver Kharraz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The benefits are great, which included fully paid health care, unlimited vacation and free lunch daily" (in 86 reviews)

• "Amazing culture, great people, good place to work" (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/life balance is no issue for part-time employees" (in 27 reviews)

• "Turnover - The Sales team had exceptionally high turnover" (in 19 reviews)

1. "good"

I worked at Zocdoc full-time

Pros

cool company to work for

Cons

stressful, but great company with cool mission

"Great Internship, Unprofessional Offer Retraction"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Zocdoc (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent office culture
    People always willing to help and teach you
    Not too high pressure (at least on my team)
    Interns are treated very nicely
    People genuinely seem happy to come to work

Cons

Not too many. However, they were very unprofessional in one incident, which left a bad taste in my mouth. After my internship, I received notice that I would receive a return offer with details upcoming. However, they informed me around 6 weeks later (when the tech recruiting season was already half over!) that the offer was retracted due to a change in management, plus hiring cuts. This was extremely unprofessional, especially since the notice came so late. I spoke with other interns and several others had the same experience.

Also, sometimes it felt like the job was so easy there wasn't enough pressure to grow as an employee. Still, overall the internship was very enjoyable and I learned a lot.

Advice to Management

Don't retract offers lol. Especially SO LATE in the recruiting season.

3. "Wild West"

I worked at Zocdoc full-time

Pros

Fun atmosphere to work in

Cons

turn and burn on reps

"Insane Turnover"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Zocdoc full-time

Pros

Decent Starting Salary
    Cool HQ
    Games, snacks, happy hour

Cons

They literally just churn through sales people.
    High pressure sales pitch
    No real data to back up the sales pitch
    rats

Advice to Management

None, the business is growing like a weed, my advice would be to experienced sales people-look elsewhere. Not a long-term fit for 99% of employees.

"Disappointing"

Current Employee - Customer Success Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Success Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Zocdoc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid healthcare, snacks, and free lunch.

Cons

No room for promotion within the company, insane micromanagement, inexperienced and unprofessional management at almost all levels. Culture isn’t great and the pay is not competitive. Not a good place to grow/start your career. Ideas are not heard or accepted so it’s hard to contribute or to get anything to change.

Advice to Management

Hire managers that actually know how to manage and treat your employees with respect.

"Sales Executive"

I worked at Zocdoc full-time

Pros

Good place to develop fundamental sales skills

Cons

Organizational fluctuation and lack of communication across functions

"Account Executive"

I worked at Zocdoc full-time

Pros

Most people are great and office location is awesome

Cons

Misogynistic attitudes, slow to structural change, mice in the office

"Customer Success and Sales"

Former Employee - Customer Success/Sales
    Former Employee - Customer Success/Sales

I worked at Zocdoc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, cool people, lots of fun company events. Immediate teams are very supportive. Oliver, the CEO is very involved with day to day operations and seems to care a lot about the company and its mission.

Cons

There is a total divide in the company where engineering and product are valued way more than the CS and Sales teams. If you start out in Sales or CS you are basically pigeoned holed into that department with little hope of moving laterally. I often felt under valued and under appreciated by the company; it was almost like they try to keep you at the company with great perks and benefits but care little about your actual career growth and happiness. Work environment became toxic towards the end, and as a result the company lost a lot of its better employees.

"It's unfortunately a Sales Company not a Healthcare or Product Company."

Pros

Office is located at a great location in the middle of Soho. It's not as hip as it used to be, but at least it's convenient and has good food around the corner. It's a surprisingly huge company, bulked up by a big team of sales and tech support, for such a straightforward app. Diversity is ok. Most people are nice, except the middle managers. And it comes with your fairly standard startup food and health insurance.

Cons

The product improves at a snail pace that is more like an old hospital instead of a startup, and it has barely changed for the past 5 years except a new branding. For a company that should be focused on hospitality and improving access to health care for everyone, it is unfortunately driven by spammy SEO and predatory sales tactics based on subscription fees from doctors. Until that golden goose runs out, most product and engineering will continue to tip-toe around doing barely anything meaningful or innovative, for none of that will increase sales, and product managers are scared to break anything.

Advice to Management

Please take some chances and actually work on things that will improve health care for everyone, not sales margin.

"To scale or not to scale"

Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I worked at Zocdoc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great mission that anyone can get behind. Healthcare is a mess in America and Zocdoc is providing a valuable tool for patients.

I’ve worked on several teams and have found some of the smartest people I’ve ever met. I’ve made great friends over time which doesn’t always happen in the workplace. The culture has shifted with time, but overall most people still care about each other and the work they’re doing (this varies by department).

Great work/life balance. I was trusted to do my job and carry on with what I needed to do outside of work. No one was policing or micromanaging me (again, can’t say the same for every department).

Benefits are nice- free lunch, snacks, free healthcare, unlimited vacation

CEO seems to have genuine care and passion for the organization and what he’s trying to achieve.

Cons

Cross departmental alignment on initiatives from the top down is often weak or missing entirely, which results in poor leadership, unfinished projects, and unachieved goals if there was even a clear goal to begin with. Project management is not a valued skill or role here and it shows. It’s obvious that the executive team has had trouble working together, although they’ve made very recent steps to publicly change the optics on this out of necessity. Time will tell whether or not anything has actually changed. There’s a noticeable distance between some executives and the people actually doing work on their teams.

Middle management is fraught with issues. There’s a wide variety of competence by department and Managers aren’t always held accountable for mistakes they make or problems they've caused so they just linger around lowering morale on their teams. I’ve seen many talented people leave for this reason alone.

Low pay compared to similar jobs at other companies, especially other tech companies.

For a tech company, the lack of accurate and easily accessible data is shocking! It can be a blocker for people in marketing and product orgs to effectively do their jobs and to work against logical metrics with true business impact. For whatever reason a systematic, wide scale fix for this issue has not been discussed publicly or prioritized for the last 5 years. Most internal tooling is a joke at this point.

Little to no career pathing or development on some teams. If you’re joining as a senior manager, executive, or developer you’ll be fine. For any other position, strongly consider other options if you have other similar offers.

Advice to Management

Stay consistent with business roadmaps. Put more focus on manager training and career development (maybe by hiring a real VP of People). Don’t treat your employees like they’re disposable. You hire smart people for a reason so compensate them fairly and listen and act on the feedback they’re providing, especially the ones who’ve been around for awhile.