Zocdoc Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Zocdoc CEO and Co-Founder Oliver Kharraz
Oliver Kharraz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The benefits are great, which included fully paid health care, unlimited vacation and free lunch daily (in 73 reviews)

• Amazing culture, great people, good place to work (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is no issue for part-time employees (in 26 reviews)

• Turnover - The Sales team had exceptionally high turnover (in 18 reviews)

"Great Vibes, Interesting Opportunities"

Current Employee - Data Science in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Data Science in New York, NY

I have been working at Zocdoc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We are building a platform that patients absolutely love, and we are increasingly being recognized as a leading innovator in the healthcare space. People are smart and passionate here, and though the product development pace can be fast, the work/life balance is very good.

The benefits are great, which included fully paid health care, unlimited vacation and free lunch daily.

Tech development used to be slow, as we had very little accessible data to guide us, and our infrastructure was a bit archaic. We've invested heavily in building cloud-based microservices, and we've built a large data infrastructure. The trajectory there certainly looks good.

Cons

This is a challenging business, being healthcare related and having multiple sets of customers (doctors, hospitals and patients), and so the strategy hasn't always been super clear. There are a lot of dots to connect, so it hasn't always been clear how each team is contributing to the bottom line.

Also, we could spend more time cleaning up a lot of edge cases that lead to poor product experiences. Moving fast and being agile often means building the next set of features before ensuring that existing features are complete.

Advice to Management

Over communicate and keep sharing information. Allocate more time for bug fixes and discovering/fixing negative product experiences.

"Great Place to be an Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Zocdoc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great (new) office space, and free snacks, free lunch, and great health coverage and vacation. I work on a great team with cool problems on interesting tech, and my teammates are friendly and supportive. My management team is always helpful and kind.

Cons

The fancy new office can be a drag (separated from the rest of the company....and the lunch and meeting rooms). We sometimes have to work in the legacy codebase and that's a big pain in the butt, compared to working on newer things. Company is growing, so sometimes it's hard to keep track of the best person (or team) to talk to.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing ahead with new technology. Machine learning releases makes everyone (even if I don't work on it) excited!

"Top NYC Tech"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Zocdoc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm building interesting tech solving real world problems in NYC. Zocdoc is a fun place to work, where the engineering management works well with product management to work on products that make a big difference in the lives of our customers (patients and doctors). I've got great senior teammates who are supportive and great mentors. New office space is swanky!

Cons

Working on the legacy codebase is like crawling around in a dusty attic, but that's mostly behind us now.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in the future and developing talent.

4. "Sales Recruiter"

I worked at Zocdoc full-time

Pros

Paid commission per hire + base salary. Unique culture, free lunch, free snacks and drinks.

Cons

Competitive market to recruit for sales reps in both Scottsdale and NYC.

5. "Operations associate"

Former Employee - Operations Associate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Operations Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Zocdoc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great medical benefits and free lunches, plus they were in a nice part of Scottsdale that was easy to access from the highway.

Cons

Everyone drinks the cool-aid. You work 50 - 60 hours a week and the job is basically telemarketing. It’s a joke.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to how hard you are working a person who is making less than a school teacher. Don’t expect the world from them when you don’t pay them enough for the work you want to have them do.

6. "Great People, Great Idea, Needs a clearer visions"

Former Employee - Technical Operations in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Technical Operations in New York, NY

I worked at Zocdoc (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, catered lunch, office in great location

Cons

Sub-par office (NYC), below average pay, little career growth.

Advice to Management

The idea of online scheduling is great, but rather than add superfluous features focus on how to make it as seamless as possible. Invest in people that aren't just engineers or product.

"Zocdoc engineering leadership sucks!"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Zocdoc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fast changes, willing to change for good products.

Cons

The management tends to put wrong people in positions, which leads to unhappiness. Leadership cares less about career development, but rather than getting work done. They adopt new technologies slowly, although using AWS.

On one hand, it keeps hiring new engineer, but on the other hand, great, experienced engineers left the team. Better job could be done to keep great engineers.

Advice to Management

Focus more on career development of engineers

8. "Great Company, but not if you're in Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Zocdoc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's really awesome to work for a company with an amazing mission (to give power to the patient) and most departments seem to have their sh** together. The re-brand was great and they're finally starting to make great product improvements.

Cons

The sales department, however, is drowning. About a year ago the company down-sized its sales department intentionally, however it's no longer intentional at this point. Sales reps are leaving faster than they can hire/promote SOAs (entry level sales position). The reason for this is that there is 0 career development after one has become a Sales Executive. Managers show no trust in their sales employees, they are micro-managed, and there simply aren't enough sustainable territories to put reps in where they can succeed, at least in a scalable way.

Neither the outbound local sales team, the mid-market team, or the Health systems team have figured out a sales process to teach new reps, so they won't promote anyone from within.

But the one thing that use to make working there enjoyable- the culture - has gotten worse as well. It's very immature and unprofessional (even for a start-up). They've lost a lot of the talent they had.

Senior management has been in their positions for far too long and they're no longer the right people to motivate and drive the sales org.

Advice to Management

Actually be genuine, don't just act like it. Trust in your sales reps more. Bring back the fun, competitive environment, and figure our career pathing ASAP.

"Great Culture, career growth, and fun environment"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Zocdoc (More than a year)

Pros

fun, casual, but driven and hard working. rewards smart work

Cons

the office space is old, and the temperature never seems to be comfortable- but we are getting a new renovation soon

"No faith in engineering"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Zocdoc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the rank and file are good people who are trying to affect positive change in the world.

Cons

Management considers engineering to be a cost center, and so expects everyone in the engineering org to do more, and get by with less.