Zocdoc Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Zocdoc CEO and Co-Founder Oliver Kharraz
Oliver Kharraz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free lunch every day and free breakfast on Fridays (in 69 reviews)

• Zocdoc is a company filled with great people who are extraordinarily bright and caring (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is no issue for part-time employees (in 25 reviews)

• Turnover - The Sales team had exceptionally high turnover (in 18 reviews)

"Terrible company"

Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Zocdoc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They had pretty good lunch

Cons

Company is completely disorganized, lies to its clients, has no clue how it's technology's algorithm actual works, and it's only real direction is "I hope THIS works."

Management is even worse. They lack talent and truly have no clue how to manage their teams. They are all quick to throw their employees under the bus to scape goat their inability to be effective.

Zero growth opportunity. All account managers are being driven back to sales, but with more responsibilities and impossible targets to hit. Anyone hired for sales will be stuck at entry level.

Company is downsizing its sales and management teams because they are struggling to make profit. Since I was there, 4 managers, our director of sales and COO all proactively quit because there was no future for them or opportunity to grow. Not one person was promoted to fill these loses, we were just put in bigger teams (as if the managers already couldn't manage a team lol).

The company is very dishonest and instead of teaching you to be upfront encourages you to lie to your clients. Both in sales and account management.

The culture is even worse. The company pretends to be building a better environment, but have an open door policy on swearing and fraternization. Most of upper management is in a relationship with one another! The managers are very back stabbing and everyone hates their job (with good reason) so there is constant complaining every day. Very depressing

Targets are impossible to hit and they recently reorganized their commission structure to lower peoples ability to make money.

The only people who do well are those with good territory. You might get stuck with a territory they don't even market or sell into anymore. If this happens to you your pretty much screwed. I was fortunate not to have one of these territory's

Don't be fooled by the positive reviews. Every time they get a bad review, 3 more great reviews pop up!!!

Advice to Management

No advise would help. Nor would it be listened to or given consideration!

"Fake Reviews and Fake People"

I worked at Zocdoc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good health insurance since they are in the industry.

Cons

The people are fake. When you interview, you think you are joining a really exciting and happy team. The moment you begin, the truth comes out. Managers are rude, impatient, and would rather fire an employee than coach/train them to succeed. The teams are mismanaged and top management has people with little to no experience who should not be in management positions. They want you to think that they are transparent with employees, but really they hide a lot. They offer stock options to almost anyone, but they aren't worth anything. The turnover rate is really high.

Advice to Management

Train your managers in how to train their teams. Managers just want to cut employees instead of working with them. Have a better interview process. Right now, you pull people out of good jobs with promises of all the amazing benefits of working at Zocdoc, only to fire them a month later with no notice.

"Be careful about the Stocks. Bad management. FAKE reviews!!!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Zocdoc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good food and good insurance.

Cons

- Be careful of the five star reviews. Management asks employees to post fake five star reviews on Glassdoor and give high rating in best places to work surveys.

- CEO leads by fear and intimidation.

-Company culture promotes backstabbing of co-workers at all levels. Some managers are borderline abusive.

- Many engineers are leaving the company and the company is finding it difficult to hire engineers. I would never recommend anyone to work at this company. If you want stupid managers and low pay, Zocdoc is for you.

-You will get paid more salary at most other companies. Company is not doing well. The stock options have no value. Call and check the secondary market and you will see the truth about what they are truly valued at.

Advice to Management

Consider stepping down and let better leaders manage the company instead of trying to remove bad reviews from websites. They are there for a reason.

"Not really a great place to work"

I worked at Zocdoc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The free lunch and snacks might be good for some people and there are many opportunities to learn. However, this company isn't the right place for most people and only some will benefit.

Cons

I would characterize this company as lacking a soul. The feeling of "fakeness" here is surreal and worse than the politics at a larger company.

Many positive reviews defend ZocDoc and blame the individual for their inability to "perform" but a great many of these former employees have done well elsewhere in the past and post-ZocDoc. There is nothing particularly special about ZocDoc that creates a magic "bar" that only a chosen few can meet. It's just their excuse for not being able to competently run the organization because they are lacking experience, haven't "figured" it all out, or some combination.

You may not be able to see your children, wife, or be able to take care of your loved ones if you work here. Having a set vacation policy actually encourages people to take time off without feeling guilty. Unlimited vacation can be done right but its not done right here because the wrong example is set by people in leadership positions. People don't stay young forever. We all have responsibilities and commitments in life. The contract goes both ways. If you keep me from the important things in my life then why would I care to make your mission mine?

On the flip side there is free food and healthcare but what good is that if you develop a health problem and just generally feel crappy because you have to always be "on"? If you want that, the pay should be commensurate with that expectation. Setting misleading expectations during recruiting and then firing people just because you can may be legal but I would consider it unethical.

While big companies can tend towards the average, startups have a long tail of crappy. Thankfully this is New York. There are opportunities with better pay and hours and the only trade-off is you lose some of the perceived "glamour" of changing the world. Or go out there and start your own :).

Advice to Management

Can't really blame you guys. Have to keep the business going at all costs and make sure your investors are happy, right?

"Not for anyone seeking a real job. Don't drink the Kool -Aid"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Zocdoc (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you're lucky enough to be upper management you'll most likely overpaid and glorified.
    Great benefits.
    Free lunch

Cons

Incompetent management in most departments.
    Cult atmosphere.
    Fake people
    Absolutely no job security.

Advice to Management

Zocdoc is run like a high school with lots of mean girls.
    Grow up!

"Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Zocdoc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

free lunch and health care

Cons

Company is run by people without any strong sense of strategy or leadership. They all seem to hire their friends instead of qualified people.

Advice to Management

Advise and support instead of letting people fail

7. "inside sales executive"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Zocdoc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great product and c level team

Cons

- managers are unprofessional, throw happy hours with reps where unbelievable things happen
    - no promotional growth
    - they really string people along
    - senior managers do nothing but discuss how great they were when they were selling

Advice to Management

- get rid of senior managers, start promoting based on merit, not tenure
    - do a deep dive into your current management team

8. "Sales Executive"

I worked at Zocdoc full-time

Pros

Cool,company culture if you're in the office everyday. Fully funded healthcare was great too

Cons

The worst place I've ever worked. I went through training in NYC for 6 days in NYC with 14 sales reps. After one month, 2 of us were left. Truly a turn and burn sales role. Completely terrible experience.

Advice to Management

Learning curves exist. Give your employees sufficient training as well as give them the ability to learn the job as well as the processes you have in place.

"Let's gooooo....bankrupt."

Former Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Zocdoc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the people. Really, I can't say this enough- these people were my family. The food got better. I was left alone as long as I did my work. I laughed day in and day out and really felt like part of a team near the end.

Cons

Oh boy - how much space do I have? Well- they aren't hiring so don't worry about refusing a job offer - glad thats out of the way. If you take this job for what it is, a temporary stepping stone....or a resting spot for trust fund babies who can't fathom operating in a real work environment, then yeah it's really fun. Drinking is certainly encouraged. Some manangers are great, ok maybe 1. The rest of them are absolutely lost. They repeat phrases that seem almost as if it were memorized lines. Why do you keep telling me I'm doing a great job...a greaaaatttt job. K- I get it ...you're starting to freak me out a little. Managers are the core issue, the entire company has changed its tune and course corrected (too little too late though guys) except....no one is looking at the managers - wait why? Prob just too lazy. Figures.

Yeah- there are mice...but that's not ZD's fault- that was our fault. The environment is so lax we all forgot that there are consequences when fiber one brownie bars are left half eaten on your keyboard DUH! it's also quite a scene to see a Friday night aftermath ....you know...the keg party leftovers from all of the people who decided not to go to zoctalk.... but to drink, no chug down multiple beers and bottles of wine while pitching doctors instead. Hey- not complaining about that. But come on- you are surprised about the mice- you just leave that stuff there all weekend.

People ops....woah. I don't...know what to say. Just pure akward interactions. Shady. Strange. Fake. It's almost as if you are on a bazzaro plane and people ops are the overly aggressive flight attendants, smiley and nice but in a fake way. Oh.... We'll just claw back that pillow and blanket if you don't mind- sorry we ran out of terra chips but here's a package of nuts - enjoy your trip in coach!

Can't explain our own search. Some kind of poetic wording...no one is really sure. I think we all just vomit through our headset when asked why other doctors come up before them in a zip code that is completely different...."well, organic, different for every person....ummmm some guy gave a speech about this I just can't remember what he said- let me have my AM CALL YOU!"

Oh yeah. Almost forgot. Love what you did with the sales team. Love that you put some people in AM roles out of nowhere. All of the sudden a deal that was worth 1k is now $80. Someone is adding things up wrong. Someone got stuck between the old world and new world.

Truthfully - it's a cult culture. It will consume you. Fun while it lasted, but ....it's over now. You can't go back and fix your reputation ZD - you aren't 5. You told us to do these things- then changed your mind. Act your age ZD- you big bully.

Advice to Management

Try really hard to break out of character ...just try...we know you're in there...somewhere...maybe. Oh who are we kidding go home you know nothing about sales.

"Long hours, little reward, terrible conditions"

I worked at Zocdoc full-time

Pros

Good experience cold calling if you are new to the field

Cons

convoluted commission structure turned out much different than initially led to believe on interview and a far smaller payday than promised. In addition to a high stress environment that saw a 10% turnover in the sales team month to month, the actual office was disgusting. Too few bathrooms, mice running around the floor, and general disarray