Zocdoc Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 23, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Zocdoc CEO and Co-Founder Oliver Kharraz
Oliver Kharraz

Pros
  • Good start up to start career, free lunch (in 66 reviews)

• Zocdoc is a company filled with great people who are extraordinarily bright and caring (in 33 reviews)

Cons

"Not so great for entry and mid levels"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Zocdoc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Extremely exceptional people, especially those who are tenured and have been there when benefits were still great. Catered lunch. Great location. Mission driven, mostly. Company and product are bound to succeed if proper care and investments in employees are brought back and maintained. Many teams are happy at Zocdoc.

Cons

Poor compensation for client facing roles, support and relationship managers alike. High pressure, competitive but not necessarily productive. Inexperienced leadership.

Advice to Management

Used to be a great company to work for, because you really did care and invest in the people that handle the users of the product on a day to day. Invest in service and client facing operations, because the product cannot succeed without patients, doctors and staff. If you want our end users to be happy, you need to make sure the great people supporting end users are happy.

"Great Product - bad management"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Zocdoc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You feel like you are all working towards a really great goal - allowing so many people to get the care they need using the product. There are many instances where it has truly made an impact in the lives of others.

Cons

The product is great - it really is. Bu the truth is the company grew too fast in the wrong direction with the worst business model and when they tried to correct the issue 7 years in, it was too late. The growth potential here is very limited as well, and some teams have managers with little to no experience on how to lead a team.

"Part Time Operations Associate"

Former Employee - Operations Associate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Operations Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Zocdoc part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual startup culture, many opportunities to provide feedback/interface with upper management, fantastic work/life balance for part-time employees, free lunch & great coworker camaraderie, company is constantly developing

Cons

Stunted opportunities for upward mobility, long lag time from feedback to implementation, frequent internal tech issues

"Great company with good intentions. Sometimes they miss the bar on the execution."

Current Employee - Service Team in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Service Team in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Zocdoc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent Pay
    Full Benefits including paying for your phone bill for full time employees
    Free lunches
    Ping pong and other fun things in the office
    Training is pretty good, I felt supported at first.
    The company does try to be transparent about what they are doing and where they are going as a company

Cons

Time off in the service team is really hard to get sometimes. They base everything on projections, so if you want to take a full week off for vacation good luck. It will most likely be denied.
    Management is too quick to rely on the whole "change is hard but it's necessary" attitude. It's created a lot of people getting burned out and it seems like they are hoping to just hire more people and not focus on investing in the amazing talent we already have.

"Honestly: Fair employer"

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at Zocdoc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They do try their best in engaging their employees. Values based mission, which is nice. Smart people -- breath of fresh air.

Cons

Shrouded in secrecy. Not exactly the best practice for a company espousing transparency in healthcare. Could do better there.

Advice to Management

Be more open and direct. Sometimes the people below want to know what you're thinking and planning on doing.

"Good culture, lot's of improvements needed"

Former Employee - Account Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Zocdoc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great culture, beer on Friday's, younger office with outgoing people, free lunch and snacks, cool office in Soho, lots of free stuff

Cons

seems unorganized, when there was a switch in CEO, they changed the pay structure to hourly where you have to check in for the start of the day, lunch, breaks, and end of day.

"Not perfect, but still pretty fun"

Former Employee - Recruiting in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Recruiting in New York, NY

I worked at Zocdoc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing people - I met some of my closest friends at Zocdoc.
    Bootcamp - incredibly demanding environment, but no better place to learn about "office life" right out of college (including what NOT to do)
    Experience - We were held to a very high standard, especially in our industry (Recruiting/ HR) that asked us to work harder and smarter. Most of my best work habits that have really benefited me the last few years were developed at ZD.

Cons

C Suite Anxiety - the CEO we worked under has since left the company, but in my time there he created an incredibly aggressive dynamic between all leaders in the company in an effort to get them to work harder and faster. This dynamic carried straight through to nearly every team, from top to bottom, cultivating an environment of fear and anxiety that was only alleviated during the boozy weekly happy hours. Most of that C Suite still remains in place, but I hope with the old CEOs departure some of that strain has been lifted.

Junior Leaders in Charge - In my time there I saw many people hired into or promoted into management roles who just simply were not ready. This resulted in a trickle down lack of Leadership training, resulting in slipping performance, communication breakdowns, and eventually the ultimate turnover of entire teams. This is to be expected at a start up, but to see the Leaders at the top refusing to acknowledge that they were not giving employees the right resources, and instead eagerly placing blame in the hands of others, was entirely disenchanting.

Turnover - The Sales team had exceptionally high turnover. Recruiters were constantly filling and refilling the exact same roles week in and week out. I watched many slide from confidence to desperation as they raced to fill roles for every week's sales class. You've read that the recruiters are dishonest or paint the wrong picture of life at ZD - know that, while I can't pardon that behavior, their own jobs were on the line week in and week out. Getting your butt in the seat was often the only thing between them and the unemployment line.

Company Culture - ZD has a noble mission and great values to support it, but watching many of these values get danced around by the leadership team as they accomplished what they were directed to was disheartening. In my 4 years there I watched many things happen that directly contradicted the ZD values that the C Suite was complicit in. I recognize it is idealistic to expect a company to uphold a moral code at 100%, but I often saw leaders who actively wouldn't adhere to basic values (treating people with respect). The company had HR problems from early on, with enthusiastic but inexperienced leadership at it's early stages, transitioning into a very different model of emotionally-removed operational efficiency. Under that leadership, I saw many processes improve, but at the cost of the heart and soul of the company. We scaled rapidly and employees became numbers without faces, being supported by a People Ops team that was largely unprepared to step foot outside of their offices and truly engage with employees to facilitate comfortable, satisfying work experiences.

Advice to Management

Don't you think the ZocTalks at the very end of the day on Friday are just too much? Those really couldn't happen at any other time during the week?

9. "Sales Origination Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Origination Associate in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Origination Associate in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Zocdoc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture. Benefits are incredible as well.

Cons

Soul-sucking cold calling...all day at every level.

Advice to Management

Keep burnin' and churnin'

"Cool if that's what you're into"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Zocdoc (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun place with good people, feel good product and quality mission. Benefits are A1 and lunch daily with full snack room is great. Training and support is solid.

Cons

Complete control of your life, new hires spend far too long in the classroom and not on the phones or researching. Unclear expectations and chain of command. Commissions are confusing and taxed far too aggressively.

Advice to Management

Its not high school, college or grad school, it's the real world. If you want to keep your talent happy, become more of a place to work rather than a place go to school

"Inside Sales Executive"

Current Employee - Inside Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Zocdoc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, young people, good money, free snacks(but all are healthy snacks...), happy hours, amazing holiday party every year, medical/dental/vision, and ping pong.

Cons

Some of the cons of working at zocdoc is lack of upward mobility, the data used to determine territory quotas is horribly inaccurate, policies are flexible for the right people, non-matching 401k, and sales managers that only know how to manage closing a deal instead of knowing how to manage the people who close the deal.

Advice to Management

Invest more in the people who are eager for more opportunity instead of the people who have been here longer.