Zocdoc Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Zocdoc CEO and Co-Founder Oliver Kharraz
Oliver Kharraz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The benefits are great, which included fully paid health care, unlimited vacation and free lunch daily (in 74 reviews)

• Zocdoc is a company filled with great people who are extraordinarily bright and caring (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is no issue for part-time employees (in 26 reviews)

• Online job postings are LIES - high turnover rate and highly selective interview processes (in 19 reviews)

"Great Vibes, Interesting Opportunities"

Current Employee - Data Science in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Data Science in New York, NY

I have been working at Zocdoc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We are building a platform that patients absolutely love, and we are increasingly being recognized as a leading innovator in the healthcare space. People are smart and passionate here, and though the product development pace can be fast, the work/life balance is very good.

The benefits are great, which included fully paid health care, unlimited vacation and free lunch daily.

Tech development used to be slow, as we had very little accessible data to guide us, and our infrastructure was a bit archaic. We've invested heavily in building cloud-based microservices, and we've built a large data infrastructure. The trajectory there certainly looks good.

Cons

This is a challenging business, being healthcare related and having multiple sets of customers (doctors, hospitals and patients), and so the strategy hasn't always been super clear. There are a lot of dots to connect, so it hasn't always been clear how each team is contributing to the bottom line.

Also, we could spend more time cleaning up a lot of edge cases that lead to poor product experiences. Moving fast and being agile often means building the next set of features before ensuring that existing features are complete.

Advice to Management

Over communicate and keep sharing information. Allocate more time for bug fixes and discovering/fixing negative product experiences.

2. "Great Place to be an Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Zocdoc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great (new) office space, and free snacks, free lunch, and great health coverage and vacation. I work on a great team with cool problems on interesting tech, and my teammates are friendly and supportive. My management team is always helpful and kind.

Cons

The fancy new office can be a drag (separated from the rest of the company....and the lunch and meeting rooms). We sometimes have to work in the legacy codebase and that's a big pain in the butt, compared to working on newer things. Company is growing, so sometimes it's hard to keep track of the best person (or team) to talk to.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing ahead with new technology. Machine learning releases makes everyone (even if I don't work on it) excited!

3. "Top NYC Tech"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Zocdoc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm building interesting tech solving real world problems in NYC. Zocdoc is a fun place to work, where the engineering management works well with product management to work on products that make a big difference in the lives of our customers (patients and doctors). I've got great senior teammates who are supportive and great mentors. New office space is swanky!

Cons

Working on the legacy codebase is like crawling around in a dusty attic, but that's mostly behind us now.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in the future and developing talent.

"Great Culture, career growth, and fun environment"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Zocdoc (More than a year)

Pros

fun, casual, but driven and hard working. rewards smart work

Cons

the office space is old, and the temperature never seems to be comfortable- but we are getting a new renovation soon

5. "fantastic work environment"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Zocdoc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

management:
      managers actively cultivate a culture of transparency and candor. i attended biweekly one-on-one's with my manager where we talked openly about my career growth and the health of the team. tech leadership listens to engineers and takes concrete steps to address feedback. it's fantastic when your manager often asks, 'what can i do better?'

culture:
      working at Zocdoc is fun. engineering org is inclusive and highly collaborative. sharing knowledge is celebrated. off-site hackathons are unique and refreshing. i consider the people that i worked with to be part of my extended family.

technology:
      always evolving. in the past two years, the team has done a tremendous job of promoting an environment that encourages experimentation and the adoption of the latest tools.

Cons

management:
      work can be done to make management philosophy more cohesive. while it makes sense to allow teams and leaders to thrive in their own way, i've spoken to other engineers who've experienced very different versions of Zocdoc.

compensation:
      even some smaller startups offer more competitive salaries. when i left, there was a lot of room to improve here. there were limited experiments with bonus programs, but i would like to have seen organization-wide adoption of those policies.

Advice to Management

keep up the dedication to transparency, candor, and growth.

make sure to reward employees for their contributions.

standardizing competency evaluation is a great step towards fair, merit-based growth. just make sure that you are having the employee work on skills that are part of their personal career goals. it's a balancing act. i strongly believe that everybody should be compensated fairly; i also believe that no two careers evolve the exact same way.

6. "Great company and atmosphere to work in"

I worked at Zocdoc full-time

Pros

The people are great. Family mentality. Allow you to grow through the company.

Cons

Can be monotonous at times depending on department.

Advice to Management

Keep advancing!

7. "You'll learn a lot and have fun"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Zocdoc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I honestly can't believe how much I have learned in my time at Zocdoc. I have had an amazing experience and am happy and proud to work here. The people I work with on a day to day basis are incredibly thoughtful, smart, and caring. I'm proud to work for this company.

Cons

No company is perfect and we've certainly had our growing pains. That said, I genuinely believe Zocdoc cares deeply about it's employees.

Advice to Management

Stay diligent and keep adding benefits. It's a competitive market and to keep talent we need to stay ahead of the curve.

"Manager"

I worked at Zocdoc full-time

Pros

- collaborative environment
    - constantly striving to improve
    - great people

Cons

- at times it can feel a bit political

9. "Great company doing great things for healthcare"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Zocdoc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of talented people all focused on helping people get more out of their healthcare. Fun environment for developers - I learned a lot and made some great friends. Benefits are amazing and lunch was always free and tasty!

Cons

The office is cramped, the company is largely out of space! Lots of legacy code to wrestle with, but probably not more than most.

Advice to Management

Keep going. Made some very smart changes at leadership positions over the last few years!

"Much improved"

I have been working at Zocdoc full-time

Pros

Company has come along way in last year...
    Big improvements in technology team with more modern stack and increased velocity.
    Good leadership in engineering.
    Much clearer strategy from business and product.
    Improved transparency. See real financial numbers now to track progress.
    Good strategic position in healthcare with direct patient relationships and direct doctor relationships. Can solve problem on both sides.
    Good basic business to grow from... high margins, solid client base, etc.

Cons

The office space in New York. It's cramped and falling apart. We have been shown a renovation plan but this needs to actually happen.
    The whole People, Learning and Development situation is chaotic and poorly managed. It's important and needs to be fixed.

Advice to Management

Don't disappoint on space.