Zocdoc Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Zocdoc CEO and Co-Founder Oliver Kharraz
Oliver Kharraz

Pros
  • Good start up to start career, free lunch (in 65 reviews)

• Zocdoc is a company filled with great people who are extraordinarily bright and caring (in 33 reviews)

Cons

1. "Great company - I learned a lot"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Zocdoc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work - I had to move due to family reasons, but I loved my time at ZocDoc. My team was really supportive and helped me learn a lot about being a professional developer. I'd love to work there again if circumstances allow. Benefits were terrific, lunch was usually tasty and fun, and the products there are pretty cool and powerful. I'm going to missing being right there in SoHo, too :/

Cons

Not a lot of negatives. Not to say there aren't things to complain about, but nothing I would consider as a big deal (my desk was wobbly; not enough bathrooms; for example).

Advice to Management

I think there have been lots of positive changes, and hopefully the company can grow in all the right ways. Maybe consider opening an office in Charlotte, lol!

2. "Great place to be"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

Pros

* Building great tech that helps people to be healthy and get help
    * Strong community and culture: love my teammates, lots of mentorship/coaching
    * Tasty (free) lunch
    * Great benefits
    * Strong leadership and transparency

Cons

* Space is tight; sometimes noisy

Advice to Management

Keep going! Best place I've been at in my career.

"Sales in New York"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Zocdoc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I remember standing outside on my first day and thinking...I've made a terrible mistake coming here and I had. Terrible place. Smells like a doctors office but it isn't. Why so much rubbing alcohol? It's weird. The Sales Manager are in competition. They all started when the product was being sold at $100 a month to join. Truly alarming how little skill some of them had. Other were talented and I learned a lot from them. Too bad they were/are human garbage. I think he got arrested for doing drugs outside of the office in the morning. It's a weird joyless place. It's just creepy.

Cons

There's no real point in it. Everything is set in place. People who were going to move up have and the rest are their to make them money. It's not worth it. There's too many other sales jobs in the city.

Advice to Management

Too focused on the user experience and not focused enough on providing a quality product to your actual customers.

"Not so great for entry and mid levels"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Zocdoc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Extremely exceptional people, especially those who are tenured and have been there when benefits were still great. Catered lunch. Great location. Mission driven, mostly. Company and product are bound to succeed if proper care and investments in employees are brought back and maintained. Many teams are happy at Zocdoc.

Cons

Poor compensation for client facing roles, support and relationship managers alike. High pressure, competitive but not necessarily productive. Inexperienced leadership.

Advice to Management

Used to be a great company to work for, because you really did care and invest in the people that handle the users of the product on a day to day. Invest in service and client facing operations, because the product cannot succeed without patients, doctors and staff. If you want our end users to be happy, you need to make sure the great people supporting end users are happy.

"Getting Better All The Time"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Zocdoc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Despite claims in some reviews here, nobody at ZocDoc asked me to write a good review. Lunch is usually awesome, and fresh fruit available all day, and the benefits are amazing. The expected pace of work and output is quick, but very reasonable based on other companies I've worked for -- work is planned out, and there is a premium placed on shipping quality, peer-reviewed code that is well tested. Lots of talented engineers who are willing to share knowledge and help you become a better coder. Over the last year there has been a lot of changes for the better - including a lot better internal communications and transparency. Other reviews complain about stock options and such -- if that's your biggest driver, best to start your own company, really -- the options and detailed info provided here are better than what I've received in the past.

Cons

Space is....homey (aka, tight and cramped). Despite a good pace of innovation, lots of legacy technology to deal with (although, like my title says, getting better all the time), which is burdensome. The company is growing and hiring, and growth can be hard to manage properly.

Advice to Management

Keep it going! The company is moving in a good direction: grow quickly but smartly.

7. "Great mission, renewed focus on product strategy."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Zocdoc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

• Better leadership at the top (engineering, sales)
    • Clear vision towards transformational growth
    • Investment in latest technology

Cons

• Office space, slowly getting renovated.
    • Not enough individual career training
    • Some departments are poorly managed

Advice to Management

Zocdoc has turned a corner and is on track for success. Stay the course, and keep transparency to your employees along the way.

"Fake Reviews and Fake People"

I worked at Zocdoc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good health insurance since they are in the industry.

Cons

The people are fake. When you interview, you think you are joining a really exciting and happy team. The moment you begin, the truth comes out. Managers are rude, impatient, and would rather fire an employee than coach/train them to succeed. The teams are mismanaged and top management has people with little to no experience who should not be in management positions. They want you to think that they are transparent with employees, but really they hide a lot. They offer stock options to almost anyone, but they aren't worth anything. The turnover rate is really high.

Advice to Management

Train your managers in how to train their teams. Managers just want to cut employees instead of working with them. Have a better interview process. Right now, you pull people out of good jobs with promises of all the amazing benefits of working at Zocdoc, only to fire them a month later with no notice.

9. "decent"

I worked at Zocdoc full-time

Pros

good food, nice office in soho

Cons

leadership junnior, sales team like boiler room

"Great Product - bad management"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Zocdoc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You feel like you are all working towards a really great goal - allowing so many people to get the care they need using the product. There are many instances where it has truly made an impact in the lives of others.

Cons

The product is great - it really is. Bu the truth is the company grew too fast in the wrong direction with the worst business model and when they tried to correct the issue 7 years in, it was too late. The growth potential here is very limited as well, and some teams have managers with little to no experience on how to lead a team.

"Great company finally on the right track"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Zocdoc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Collaborative, open, mission focused people
    - Transformation to become a technology company
    - Lots of growth potential

Cons

- Eliminating legacy code will take a while
    - Office space needs improvement

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on the current product strategy. Transparency improvements are also appreciated.