Zocdoc Reviews | Glassdoor

Zocdoc Reviews

Updated May 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Good start up to start career, free lunch (in 65 reviews)

• Zocdoc is a company filled with great people who are extraordinarily bright and caring (in 33 reviews)

Cons

"Part Time Operations Associate"

Former Employee - Operations Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Zocdoc part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual startup culture, many opportunities to provide feedback/interface with upper management, fantastic work/life balance for part-time employees, free lunch & great coworker camaraderie, company is constantly developing

Cons

Stunted opportunities for upward mobility, long lag time from feedback to implementation, frequent internal tech issues

"Great company with good intentions. Sometimes they miss the bar on the execution."

Current Employee - Service Team in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Service Team in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Zocdoc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent Pay
    Full Benefits including paying for your phone bill for full time employees
    Free lunches
    Ping pong and other fun things in the office
    Training is pretty good, I felt supported at first.
    The company does try to be transparent about what they are doing and where they are going as a company

Cons

Time off in the service team is really hard to get sometimes. They base everything on projections, so if you want to take a full week off for vacation good luck. It will most likely be denied.
    Management is too quick to rely on the whole "change is hard but it's necessary" attitude. It's created a lot of people getting burned out and it seems like they are hoping to just hire more people and not focus on investing in the amazing talent we already have.

"Great company, low pay."

Former Employee - Operations Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Zocdoc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, fun work environment, daily catered lunch, excellent health benefits.

Cons

Lack of upward mobility, low salary, frequent IT and site issues.

Advice to Management

More transparency and less empty corporate rhetoric in times of difficulty.

"Just the beginning for us"

Current Employee - People Team in New York, NY
    Current Employee - People Team in New York, NY

I have been working at Zocdoc (More than 3 years)

Pros

A brilliant group of coworkers from all all walks of life/educational/professional backgrounds, coming together to tackle the major problems plaguing healthcare. Incredibly mission-driven, fulfilling work. A great work-life balance. A true meritocracy, where the harder you work, and the more relationships you develop, the faster you'll grow within the org.

Are we perfect? No. We have a long road ahead of us. But we have the right leadership, a clear vision, and the best damn employees to turn us into a household name.

Cons

In a young-ish company like ours, things change. A lot. If you need to know you'll have X title by X date and make X amount of money, it may not be for you. We're a meritocracy, so the harder you work, the faster you'll climb the ladder. We have a ton of room for growth, from a cultural perspective as well as a business perspective, but we're getting there.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency. We want to know as much about failures as we do about wins. We want to know when there are hurdles and impasses. Continue keeping us in the loop about our product strategy and forecast.

"i dunno"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Zocdoc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

dynamic, fast paced, mostly good peeps intent on doing the right thing

Cons

for a company that is nearing an event, legacy operations models with inexperienced managers with little/no functional expertise core departments or ability to coach, mentor and develop and others resistant to training or change. The executives don't show much understanding or capability to develop lateral hires.

Advice to Management

you'll be successful. nothing to apologize for.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Zocdoc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

free lunch and health care

Cons

Company is run by people without any strong sense of strategy or leadership. They all seem to hire their friends instead of qualified people.

Advice to Management

Advise and support instead of letting people fail

"Honestly: Fair employer"

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at Zocdoc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They do try their best in engaging their employees. Values based mission, which is nice. Smart people -- breath of fresh air.

Cons

Shrouded in secrecy. Not exactly the best practice for a company espousing transparency in healthcare. Could do better there.

Advice to Management

Be more open and direct. Sometimes the people below want to know what you're thinking and planning on doing.

"Good culture, lot's of improvements needed"

Former Employee - Account Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Zocdoc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great culture, beer on Friday's, younger office with outgoing people, free lunch and snacks, cool office in Soho, lots of free stuff

Cons

seems unorganized, when there was a switch in CEO, they changed the pay structure to hourly where you have to check in for the start of the day, lunch, breaks, and end of day.

"Fun and supportive company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Zocdoc full-time

Pros

Really fun company! I have made great friends here. Tech team has a ton of cool activities planned for them throughout the year. Zocdoc used to be a bit behind in terms of tech, but 2016 has seen a LOT of changes. We are now fully embracing AWS and diversifying the kinds of frameworks and languages we use.

Cons

The office can be cramped. They are planning on renovating one of the floors of the building to expand but it's been a long work in progress.

Advice to Management

Finish up renovating the new floor and get some new chairs for people.

"Not perfect, but still pretty fun"

Former Employee - Recruiting in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Recruiting in New York, NY

I worked at Zocdoc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing people - I met some of my closest friends at Zocdoc.
    Bootcamp - incredibly demanding environment, but no better place to learn about "office life" right out of college (including what NOT to do)
    Experience - We were held to a very high standard, especially in our industry (Recruiting/ HR) that asked us to work harder and smarter. Most of my best work habits that have really benefited me the last few years were developed at ZD.

Cons

C Suite Anxiety - the CEO we worked under has since left the company, but in my time there he created an incredibly aggressive dynamic between all leaders in the company in an effort to get them to work harder and faster. This dynamic carried straight through to nearly every team, from top to bottom, cultivating an environment of fear and anxiety that was only alleviated during the boozy weekly happy hours. Most of that C Suite still remains in place, but I hope with the old CEOs departure some of that strain has been lifted.

Junior Leaders in Charge - In my time there I saw many people hired into or promoted into management roles who just simply were not ready. This resulted in a trickle down lack of Leadership training, resulting in slipping performance, communication breakdowns, and eventually the ultimate turnover of entire teams. This is to be expected at a start up, but to see the Leaders at the top refusing to acknowledge that they were not giving employees the right resources, and instead eagerly placing blame in the hands of others, was entirely disenchanting.

Turnover - The Sales team had exceptionally high turnover. Recruiters were constantly filling and refilling the exact same roles week in and week out. I watched many slide from confidence to desperation as they raced to fill roles for every week's sales class. You've read that the recruiters are dishonest or paint the wrong picture of life at ZD - know that, while I can't pardon that behavior, their own jobs were on the line week in and week out. Getting your butt in the seat was often the only thing between them and the unemployment line.

Company Culture - ZD has a noble mission and great values to support it, but watching many of these values get danced around by the leadership team as they accomplished what they were directed to was disheartening. In my 4 years there I watched many things happen that directly contradicted the ZD values that the C Suite was complicit in. I recognize it is idealistic to expect a company to uphold a moral code at 100%, but I often saw leaders who actively wouldn't adhere to basic values (treating people with respect). The company had HR problems from early on, with enthusiastic but inexperienced leadership at it's early stages, transitioning into a very different model of emotionally-removed operational efficiency. Under that leadership, I saw many processes improve, but at the cost of the heart and soul of the company. We scaled rapidly and employees became numbers without faces, being supported by a People Ops team that was largely unprepared to step foot outside of their offices and truly engage with employees to facilitate comfortable, satisfying work experiences.

Advice to Management

Don't you think the ZocTalks at the very end of the day on Friday are just too much? Those really couldn't happen at any other time during the week?