Zocdoc Reviews | Glassdoor

Zocdoc Reviews

Updated March 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Good start up to start career, free lunch (in 63 reviews)

• Zocdoc is a company filled with great people who are extraordinarily bright and caring (in 32 reviews)

"Great Vision"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Zocdoc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cutting Edge Technology, start-up mentality

Cons

Different work flexibility policies for different departments. Depends on manager.

Advice to Management

Ensure all managers are drinking the cool aide.

2. "Outside Sales in SF"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zocdoc (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to learn about selling into the Healthcare space. Great pay if you're hitting your sales number. Sales training is very in depth and you'll learn a lot if you're willing to learn. The office in NY

Cons

If you don't perform well in the beginning, you'll be left in the dust. This is a performance based sales role. Not much career advancement.

Advice to Management

Create a roadmap for career advancement.

"Amazing!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Zocdoc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working here. I feel like my managers truly support me - as an entry-level employee, I couldn't have found a better fit.

Cons

I can't think of a ton of cons, but feedback Zocdoc employees have provided in the past seem to be about transparency. I know the CEO is making this a huge priority, so I believe this is improving dramatically.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees and invest in career opportunities. Zocdoc has some of the most talented people I've ever met - make sure you give their work meaning.

5. "Sales Executive"

I worked at Zocdoc full-time

Pros

Cool,company culture if you're in the office everyday. Fully funded healthcare was great too

Cons

The worst place I've ever worked. I went through training in NYC for 6 days in NYC with 14 sales reps. After one month, 2 of us were left. Truly a turn and burn sales role. Completely terrible experience.

Advice to Management

Learning curves exist. Give your employees sufficient training as well as give them the ability to learn the job as well as the processes you have in place.

6. "Fun Job, if You're Right Out of College"

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Zocdoc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are an ISE or work at their NYC, free lunches, snacks, access to entire C-suite.

Cons

Bro-culture. Resources limited.

Advice to Management

If you want to hire top talent, you can maintain a fun culture, without being unprofessional. Too many blurred line...

"Just Okay"

Pros

+ Great people (although so many of them have left now... see cons)
    + Good product that provides real utility!
    + Engineering is moving in the right direction in terms of addressing tech debt and getting up to speed with modern tech
    + Interesting technical challenges
    + Great perks, lunch, snacks, hours, vacation, outings, etc.
    + Pretty good pay/benefits
    + Ability to make a big impact in the company as an individual

Cons

- Bleeding out all our top talent to Google, FB, etc.
    - Not nearly enough engineers, I'd say we are understaffed by at least 20%
    - Given that we've been around for 9 years and still haven't really taken off I question if we ever will
    - Stock options with no outlet for liquidity. This is relatively normal, but when you are at a 9 year old start up it is especially frustrating
    - Inexperienced/inconsistent managment
    - Constant vague, moving target on career pathing

Advice to Management

Are we really doing enough to address our attrition problems? The number of great engineers we have lost to Google is staggering. Small bonus programs are not going to do enough here.

Bring in some management with real experience outside ZD. So much of the management at ZD was promoted from within and while I think they are great people, their lack of experience is very clear all the time.

How do we make work more fun on the regular day-to-day? Offsites are always a great success, but a regular day at ZD can be a real snooze.

The office space is an absolute joke. I know we are finally starting to address this, but I honestly think it is a big problem that we have ignored for too long and the future renovations are literally years off. The engineering team is scattered all over the place in depressing rooms with left over furniture from years ago. Put everyone together and make the space fun, this can be done without architects and major renovations. I think a little effort could go a long way here.

8. "Meh"

Pros

Competitive pay (wasn't always the case) & benefits. Flexible vacation policy. At its core, the product is delivering a noble service. Lots of responsibility (as a side effect of being severely understaffed).

Cons

The product is stagnant. The physical space is bleak: it's cramped, noisy, and the rooms are often unbearably hot. People aren't properly recognized or inconsistently recognized for their efforts. Many managers have no business being in management - automatons with subpar people skills and no insights and useful advice beyond what's scripted. An attempt to be transparent about stock options was comically insulting in its delay (by nearly a quarter), its lack of any new information, and lack of follow-through. Lack of follow-through is a common theme - initiatives land with a big splash and quickly wither away - this applies to the product as well as internal efforts. It happens so consistently that I no longer trust or am excited about new initiatives. I witness sexism and homophobia frequently, and I don't feel like it's safe to speak up about it.

Advice to Management

The earlier review titled "Just Okay" really struck a nerve and perfectly captures my outlook as well, so I feel like I'm just trying to reword what that reviewer said. I wish I knew who you were!

9. "Not scaling well"

Pros

Competitive comp, great perks, job flexibility

Cons

Executive drive product strategy, terrible management, don't grow people, inexperienced HR causing a lot of turnover in place of workplace conflict resolution

10. "Zocdoc"

I worked at Zocdoc full-time

Pros

Cutting edge company using data to implement strategy, surrounded by really smart people, incredibly transparent with weekly company updates, fun environment, great perks (benefits, parties, lunch etc). Learned a TON

Cons

constant re-arranging of teams, managers, departments, offices, strategies, job descriptions. Things change and they change frequently. Unfortunately there is a great deal of bureaucracy at Zocdoc and the politics can become a glass ceiling if not played well

"Do your career a favor and AVOID"

Pros

Free lunch and free health insurance are great perks.
    Zocdoc prides itself on hiring "great people," and there are plenty of great people that work here.

Cons

Literally no opportunity for growth or career development
    Inexperienced management
    Incompetent HR and payroll departments
    Widespread sexism

Overall, Zocdoc considers itself to be a company that is "caring, smart, and simple." Throughout my experience at Zocdoc, I have not experienced any of these traits. This company does not care about its employees. Never in my career have I felt more disposable and more like a cog in a wheel than I have here. And even though they tell you to "speak up" if something is bothering you, be VERY careful who you're speaking to. There are plenty of people waiting to shove you under a bus to save themselves.

Zocdoc is not a "smart" company either. Brilliant employees, many of whom went to Ivy League schools, are doing work that would be boring for some of the less intelligent species of apes. Employees are constantly overlooked and are eventually forced out by the complete lack of career opportunities internally.

And nothing at Zocdoc is ever "simple." The company is trying to be more "transparent," but employees are lied to by management time and time again. Everyone is trying to further their own agendas, so at this point, progress for the company is impossible.

If you are a long professional looking to learn skills and make connections that will help you build your career, this is NOT the place for you.

If you want to play Mario Cart, be micromanaged, and feel generally unimportant, join us!

Advice to Management

Stop promoting people based on tenure rather than merit
    Find a way to make all employees feel like important assets to the company
    Invest more time and resources into real career pathing for current and future employees