Zocdoc "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Zocdoc Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Nov 12, 2019

3.3
Zocdoc CEO and  Co-Founder Oliver Kharraz
Oliver Kharraz
Pros
  • "Perks are awesome here like free lunch, free wifi etc(in 100 reviews)

• "Great Culture, Great People, Great Leadership team and the Direct is awesome(in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/life balance is no issue for part-time employees(in 27 reviews)

• "Very high turnover - since I left a few months ago over half my team is also gone(in 25 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Great Vibes, Interesting Opportunities"

Current Employee - Data Science in New York, NY

I have been working at Zocdoc full-time for more than a year

Pros

We are building a platform that patients absolutely love, and we are increasingly being recognized as a leading innovator in the healthcare space. People are smart and passionate here, and though the product development pace can be fast, the work/life balance is very good. The benefits are great, which included fully paid health care, unlimited vacation and free lunch daily. Tech development used to be slow, as we had very little accessible data to guide us, and our infrastructure was a bit archaic. We've invested heavily in building cloud-based microservices, and we've built a large data infrastructure. The trajectory there certainly looks good.

Cons

This is a challenging business, being healthcare related and having multiple sets of customers (doctors, hospitals and patients), and so the strategy hasn't always been super clear. There are a lot of dots to connect, so it hasn't always been clear how each team is contributing to the bottom line. Also, we could spend more time cleaning up a lot of edge cases that lead to poor product experiences. Moving fast and being agile often means building the next set of features before ensuring that existing features are complete.

Zocdoc2017-11-10

"Great Mission & Potential, but Many Issues & Risks."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Zocdoc full-time

Pros

Strong mission ("give power to the patient") that guides most decisions at the company. The healthcare industry is bloated and complicated, so it's a nice to work somewhere that actually puts patients first for a change and is bringing a more modern twist to healthcare. It's relatively easy to drink the Kool-Aid and believe the work you do will drive positive outcomes for regular people/patients. Good benefits: free daily lunches and snacks, free healthcare, unlimited vacation policy (actually used not just for show) among other things. Reasonable work/life balance (not crazy start up hours). A lot of diversity on the executive team - both from a professional experience and personal background standpoint. Unusual to see at tech companies. Focus on culture and a deliberateness to how it evolves and changes over time. There is care taken in soliciting employee feedback in systematic ways, implementing changes, and investing money/resources in programs to make it a rewarding and fun place to work (not everything hits the mark, but the will and effort is there). (Mostly) good people: there are some really smart and down-to-earth people at the company. Everyone is incredibly open to making time out to chat (especially noticeable during on-boarding time period) and help make connections across the company. Well funded. Zocdoc has managed to raise a lot of money over the years and seems to be in a good position to leverage that for growth.

Cons

Unfortunately, almost every Pro has a Con directly associated with it. While the mission is strong, a lot of work has shifted away from directly impacting patients (with more emphasis on providers and health systems) which makes it harder to connect to. It seems the pendulum swings between which sides of the business to focus on every year and the sense is its reactionary not proactive. The business model has some challenges in it that need to be addressed ASAP. While the company has raised a good amount of money, there is a lot of work ahead (and many unknowns), even 10 years into being a company, to justify the high valuation. It has the people and resources to affect change, but there are definitely some long-term risks for the company (especially being in healthcare). The executive team is the biggest I have ever seen and in some ways is too bloated for its own good. Communication is not effective (executives often do not seem to be on the same page about future plans or reasons for why things happened the way they did). Often times this lack of communication (and worse, trust) between executives, trickles down and leads to confusion on team priorities, micromanagement / prescriptiveness, and what feels like constantly changing direction all of which gets frustrating, hurts morale, and hinders productivity. While there is a lot of emphasis and effort around culture, Zocdoc can be a very strange place to work. Your experience is highly skewed by which department you are in (to some extent that will always be the case but is just extreme here). There are some great individuals here, but the level of maturity, professionalism, and competence varies dramatically by team. This leads to distrust between teams (and even within departments themselves), and things can get political quickly. Teams end up operating very independently on their own personal goals with no real alignment on broader objectives. The company has historically not been very transparent about its performance or financials with employees. Perhaps there are good reasons for this, but its highly unusual for a tech company to operate this way and over time this has eroded trust in management which is taking time to win back with new initiatives.

Zocdoc2018-03-29

"Read other reviews and look at previous law suits against company - Run!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Zocdoc full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free lunch - OK. They use mediocre vendors, you have to be there at 11:30a or you’re going to miss out on the good stuff Healthcare - OK. They claim it’s free but there are many co-pays and many limits to the services provided Equity & compensation - you will be lowballed. And valuation is really exaggerated. Unlimited vacation turns out to be 3 ~ weeks a year usually

Cons

You should think very seriously about accepted an offer to work here. Just a few issues include: very low moral across most of the company (unless you’re in tech where they are insulated), no room for growth and no career pathing, borderline unethical HR practices, and poor management/leadership. Do not allow the sunny disposition of your interviewers fool you. I ignored the concerns raised by other employees on Glassdoor and most, if not all, turned out to be true. My recruiter said many of those reviews were from employees on their own sales team, however, if you look at recent reviews (outside of tech) you will see that many of the issues remain. You have to ask yourself why they haven’t been acquired or gone public in 10 years? I would encourage anyone considering employment at Zocdoc to read all reviews and try to speak to someone on the inside before joining. I would also encourage anyone interested in working there to look at the numerous lawsuits filed by former employees against the company. You should also consider googling to see all law suits from previous employees. I thought I’d give myself a year in this company but I’m getting out of this slowly sinking ship as soon as I can. Other: - no training department - HR is all smiles but not very knowledgeable or professional - very political - no work life balance

Zocdoc2017-08-24

"Part Time Operations Associate"

Former Employee - Operations Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Zocdoc part-time for more than a year

Pros

Casual startup culture, many opportunities to provide feedback/interface with upper management, fantastic work/life balance for part-time employees, free lunch & great coworker camaraderie, company is constantly developing

Cons

Stunted opportunities for upward mobility, long lag time from feedback to implementation, frequent internal tech issues

Zocdoc2017-03-30

"Just the beginning for us"

People Team in New York, NY

I have been working at Zocdoc for more than 3 years

Pros

A brilliant group of coworkers from all all walks of life/educational/professional backgrounds, coming together to tackle the major problems plaguing healthcare. Incredibly mission-driven, fulfilling work. A great work-life balance. A true meritocracy, where the harder you work, and the more relationships you develop, the faster you'll grow within the org. Are we perfect? No. We have a long road ahead of us. But we have the right leadership, a clear vision, and the best damn employees to turn us into a household name.

Cons

In a young-ish company like ours, things change. A lot. If you need to know you'll have X title by X date and make X amount of money, it may not be for you. We're a meritocracy, so the harder you work, the faster you'll climb the ladder. We have a ton of room for growth, from a cultural perspective as well as a business perspective, but we're getting there.

Zocdoc2017-02-10
  6. "Overall, amazing place to work."

I have been working at Zocdoc

Pros

Subsidized health insurance, lots of opportunity to grow, casual work environment, good work-life balance. Zocdoc is growing fast which means there are lots of opportunities to contribute and grow in your current role.

Cons

Lots of change can lead to ambiguity in your role, the office could get spruced up a bit (it is an older building)

Zocdoc2017-01-14
  7. "Wonderful place to work"

in New York, NY

I have been working at Zocdoc

Pros

Great work life balance Lots of perks - free lunch! Supportive managers Lots of room to grow

Cons

I do not have any at this time!

Zocdoc2016-04-22
  8. "Data Operations"

I worked at Zocdoc

Pros

A good work culture and friendly employees

Cons

No work-life balance, long hours

Zocdoc2016-04-04

"Not the best place to work"

Former Employee - Account Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Zocdoc full-time for more than a year

Pros

Young company with fun outings and happy hours. Best thing is amazing free health, dental and vision insurance. Unlimited vacation policy not really unlimited.

Cons

Sexist environment to work in, experienced and witnessed sexual harassment. No upward or any movement. Sales positions focused blindly on metrics and not quality of work. Management out of touch. No transparency into company at all. Terrible work life balance - management would not allow employees to take time off during the work day to visit the doctor! Absolutely no flexibility.

Zocdoc2016-03-28
  10. "Associate"

in New York, NY

I have been working at Zocdoc

Pros

-Amazing team. You have the opportunity to work with really intelligent, caring people and work on challenging but interesting projects -Everyone is willing to help out and there is a great level of transparency from the leadership -Great work life balance -Free catered lunch everyday!

Cons

-Can be very stressful and work/life balance can be challenging depending on the team

Zocdoc2015-11-04