Zomato "work environment" Reviews | Glassdoor

Zomato Employee Reviews about "work environment"

Updated Dec 1, 2019

4.0
Zomato CEO Deepinder Goyal
Deepinder Goyal
Pros
  • "Challenging work environment with some awesome people to work with trying to solve problems that actually matter(in 67 reviews)

• "Zomato is a rapidly growing company with great work culture(in 45 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "work environment"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate

I have been working at Zomato full-time

Pros

Zomato has a Good work environment

Cons

This Position requires Long Hours

Zomato2019-07-16
  2. "Content Coordinator"

Former Contractor - Content Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Zomato for less than a year

Pros

Good work environment, team guidance, young start up feel so everyone was very motivated and excited still + benefits package, hours were 10-6 you can work OT

Cons

They laid off half the staff - not a stable company

Zomato2018-10-25
  3. "Good Atmosphere"

Content Intern in Austin, TX

I have been working at Zomato for less than a year

Pros

Great work environment Met new friends They threw us good office parties

Cons

Lots of commuting Not a lot of oppurtunities moving forward

Advice to Management

Keep it up, great temporary job

Zomato2017-04-18
  4. "Summer Temporoary Content Associate"

I worked at Zomato

Pros

Excellent tech start-up, very fun work-environment

Cons

Clear separation between full-time employees and temps - higher ups shouldn't make others feel menial or inferior!

Zomato2016-07-14

"Ok first full time job out of College"

Content Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zomato

Pros

Great co workers, fun work environment, approachable team lead and supervisor. Good severance package.

Cons

Completed same mundane tasks for first few weeks on the job.There didn't seem to be much room for growth within company. The whole content team got let go 3 months into the job.

Zomato2015-12-30

"It's a shame"

Operations in New York, NY

I worked at Zomato

Pros

Enjoyable work environment with a huge potential for intellectual and professional engagement; fun people with generous benefits; great office; global reach delivers a unique perspective for employees.

Cons

Complete lack of transparency; managers rarely answer e-mails, making it hard to understand metrics for success; "Golden Circle" is hard to penetrate and often has more weight than the everyday peons; lack of clarity on strategy or how to be successful; general mistrust and suspicion of employees. There were so many talented people that worked here; it's a shame that the company couldn't just stick with the plan... and execute. Just as traction was being established, the decision to shut down most operations was made. All that cash invested, and yet the team wasn't given enough time to deliver.

Advice to Management

Ramp up slowly, and also consider people as humans not numbers. This is a common refrain here on Glassdoor, but humans are wonderful — especially when given clear strategic objectives and the space to accomplish them.

Zomato2015-11-25

"Hindsight is 20/20"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zomato full-time for less than a year

Pros

Really fun work environment; great first "real-world" job because Zomato was laid back, showed us the ropes, trained us on basic tools like Excel, the inner workings of Gmail, etc. Very lateral culture where we were friends with our bosses. I truly enjoyed working with all 20 of my coworkers; it's rare that you find a group so cohesive. Also, working for a food company is enjoyable because it's relatable and... tangible in a tech industry that's often not...everyone loves to eat, so it's an easy thing to get behind. Pretty good benefits as well.

Cons

No office, just a coworking space which we were scheduled to move 3 different times in 3 months. Terrible organization. The leadership is unaware of how to effectively spend money, so they get a lot in funding, tell us we all don't have to worry about our jobs because we're well-funded and secure, and then boom, less than a month later they realize their "strategy for the U.S." isn't working and lay off the entire... US workforce, around 300 people. No warning. In hindsight, it's clear that Zomato lacked the necessary leadership and business savvy, and they were simply bleeding cash. Also, the pay was very VERY minimal for living in San Francisco.

Advice to Management

Get more organized. Have a plan for entering markets before you hire and then layoff 300 people in a matter of 3 months. Those are real people you're affecting!!

Zomato2015-10-22

"Blindsided with national layoffs"

Former Employee - Content Team Lead

I worked at Zomato full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people in your local office are like your family. It was fun to hire for culture. Flexible work schedule and "creative" work environment. Being around other foodies with love of food and being social. Co-workers in content were awesome and great to work with (US, Canada and most in India). For the record, most were given a severance.

Cons

Being a Team Lead you were really nothing more than a project manager for India. India micromanaged the hell out of the US and it failed. No budget. For example, had to ask to purchase basic supplies for the kitchen and restrooms in the office. "Trying" sales with content associates, then later firing those CAs who didn't make the switch. Um, Zomato is valued at over $1Billion (reported by Tech Crunch). The answer... to everything was "we're a start-up" and "you control your own destiny". So cliche. 2 cycles of declining employee culture surveys, and Zomato execs tried to spin it as a positive (even posted the spin on Facebook). Zero direction from leadership. The execs in India (if they stay around more than a few months, article about this too) keep things very hush-hush and there was no leadership in the US from VPs or TVPs. No transparency in Zomato. For example, things on the tool (internal systems for updating information on website) would either be broken often, or something would be added or removed with no warning or input/explanation. You had to ask why, and then wait a day with the timezone change. There never was a clear direction how to move up in the country (career-wise). I will say, the hiring managers can sell the Kool Aid, heck I drank it. But there really is nothing behind door number 1, 2 or 3. The only safe team(s) to join in US are sales and ops. But really, if you consider a job with Zomato after what they did to Urbanspoon and 10% of their employees, you're asking for it.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with your "Zomans". Also, treat them like humans and not expendable. Many times Deepi (CEO) would brush off employee moral as, "they're probably not a good fit" (I'm paraphrasing). In the memo he sent out after laying off 300 US workers, he signed it with "Cheers". That's so disrespectful thing to say, it's almost comical. Do better at lying. When laying off 300 people, and adding "All Hands" on... all our calendars at the same time, and when asked we're told "business updates". Maybe you should have given everyone 1-2 weeks to finish up projects, and then the severance. People are pretty bitter about your lack of forethought when it came to expanding into the US. Yelp won in the US. You tried to grow too fast and very poor planning for a country with 50% of your global listings.

Zomato2015-10-16

"Sr Associate"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Gurgaon, Haryana

I have been working at Zomato full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working Environment, Easy way to grow yourselves

Cons

Cab Facility is not available

Advice to Management

Try to arrange cab facility

Zomato2019-12-02
  10. "Data analyst"

I have been working at Zomato full-time

Pros

Nice office culture, good work environment

Cons

Lot of negative promotions in the market

Zomato2019-11-19