Zonar Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Zonar Systems President Ian McKerlich
Ian McKerlich

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The culture is phenomenal and great work-life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Definitely a great company thats still in "start up" phase but still growing at a fast pace (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • However, being relatively new to the company, I see a lot of great things about working at Zonar (in 4 reviews)

• I've noticed that not everyone is adaptable to a fast paced, constantly evolving & largely results orientated culture (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zonar Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm learning cool technologies while working on interesting projects with smart and talented teammates who are fun to interact with. Not a bad gig. We enjoy a great work-life balance, which is very unusual in tech.

Fun events, like Cinco de Mayo, family picnic, Christmas Party (2016 was held at the Museum of Flight), Lunch and Learns, and happy hours.

Great benefits and vacation time, including getting Xmas through New Year's Day off.

Cons

Can be stressful at times, but that's true at every place I've worked.

Advice to Management

The present course seems pretty solid.

"Great tech company with good compensation and excellent total compensation package."

Current Employee - Installation Technician
    Current Employee - Installation Technician

I have been working at Zonar Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company provided meals, competitive wages, generous benefit package. Opportunity to work from home. My management is generally supportive and shows trust providing an entrepreneurial environment.

Cons

There are some operational inefficiencies that could be changed. However, this company has to move very quickly due to the arena we are in. Politics, but that generally exists no matter where you work. 401k could be better - they only match $.25 on the dollar. Some employees that have been there for many years complain about how things went downhill after Continental acquiring Zonar. However, being relatively new to the company, I see a lot of great things about working at Zonar. I think some of the current long-term employees, or previous employees, forget how good the company takes care of it's employees.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the recent changes in benefits and taking the time to listen to employee feedback.

Nov 27, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your continued contribution to the success of Zonar!

3. "Good people, room for improvement"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zonar Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of the people here are really genuine, good people who care a lot about the work they do and about their coworkers. The products are aimed towards safety and efficiency of fuel so there is a good mission. The work-life balance is solid.

Cons

Smaller company so less room for growth or new roles, communication between the two larger offices in Seattle area is spotty so it sometimes feels like you're working for 2 different companies, not to mention the culture in each office is quite different. Turnover is high which is draining. Sometimes the smaller company environment feels a little gossipy and unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Get better about communicating change to your employees. Listen to your employees, especially the ones telling you that they're so busy putting out fires and accommodating rushed requests that they can't do quality, in depth work.

4. "Scale"

I worked at Zonar Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They get a lot of free food. Is there a food holiday? You bet you're getting that type of food provided that day.

Cons

Leadership is too passive and doesn't provide the correct amount of support. Small office causes rumors to spread like fire.

Advice to Management

Praise those who are actually taking on lots of work.

5. "Good people hamstrung by bad management"

I worked at Zonar Systems full-time

Pros

Work/life balance
    Good people on the ground.

Cons

My former manager managed out all the women on his team. Some were transferred to other teams, but most left the company entirely due to lack of support.

~60-65% turnover rate among software engineers.

Advice to Management

Start respecting people.

"Good product, poor management"

I worked at Zonar Systems full-time

Pros

- There are some exceptional employees at the company
    - The product of the company is well situated for success
    - Decent benefits
    - Nice office amenities

Cons

- Negative culture, going through the motions of trying to be positive but it is not fully embraced, acknowledged, or supported at all levels
    - Many products lack clear product ownership
    - High employee turnover
    - No stock options, bonuses, or other company performance based perks

Nov 27, 2017 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for all you did for Zonar and wish you success in the future.

"Smoke and Mirrors - Not as Advertised"

Former Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Tukwila, WA
    Former Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Tukwila, WA

I worked at Zonar Systems (More than a year)

Pros

Free Drinks, Fun Company Functions (when allowed to attend them)

Cons

Management structure is lacking, knowledge base is lacking, deception to customers selling them on the fact that they have 24/7 service when in reality after business hours you have one help desk agent supporting ALL of Zonar's customers. Usually when this occurs on weekends the agent winds up with very little sleep and are worn out by the time they get to work on Monday. I could go on but the experience as a whole was definitely not as advertised when I was hired..

Advice to Management

Take care of your front line employees. Recognize deficiencies within process and work to fix them immediately. Management regardless of any level needs to treat each employee with respect..

Oct 19, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for your feedback and we recently completed our annual Employee Engagement Survey and numerous focus groups. Action is being taken to rectify these deficiencies and resolve the... More

"Good People, Management is indecisive"

I worked at Zonar Systems full-time

Pros

Opportunity for advancement due to high turnover

Cons

Management very ineffective. Takes months (Sometimes years) to get anything approved or released. Generates a lot of pressure on workers. Not flexible with hours. Some positions require a lot work from home ( combined with work from office), sometimes only getting 3-5 hours off a day for a week. Seems like they take advantage that WA doesn't have a required break between shifts and work you to death.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

9. "Installation Specialist"

Former Employee - Installation Specialist in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Installation Specialist in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Zonar Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and great atmosphere

Cons

Not competitive with compensation compared to industry

Advice to Management

Stand up for your employees

Aug 4, 2017 – Senior Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your contribution to the success of Zonar! WE appreciate you being on this journey with us!

"Great people, very bad management."

Former Employee - Help Desk Support in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Help Desk Support in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zonar Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team of people to work with. Good benefits. Great company events. Free drinks and some food. Good location .

Cons

Advice to Management

Hire in advance before promoting people! It will make it easier on your associates to work, instead of struggling to cover 5 missing people for 6 months ......

Aug 25, 2017 – Senior Talent Acquisition Manager

We are very disappointed to hear that your experience here at Zonar was less than great. With the ebbing and flowing of the business, we sometimes fall behind. We wish you success in your future... More