Zonar Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Zonar Systems President Ian McKerlich
Ian McKerlich

Pros
  • Definitely a great company thats still in "start up" phase but still growing at a fast pace (in 5 reviews)

• Fun, fast paced work environment with lots of unique and interesting challenges (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Working at zonar seemed okay when I started but later there are some people whose looks are good but they are the worst to work with (in 3 reviews)

• I've noticed that not everyone is adaptable to a fast paced, constantly evolving & largely results orientated culture (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Sales Team w/ High Expectations to Perform-pay well for doing so"

I have been working at Zonar Systems full-time

Pros

Fast Growth Company
    -Sales has high expectation to perform well and consistently
    -Compensation is very good for those that perform well-can make several hundred thousand dollars consistently and realistically. You definitely write your own check
    -Sales Leadership empowers their sales reps to succeed
    -Marketing is now in close communications with Sales which has allowed for more collaborative solutions, releases of solutions, and value-centric literature
    -Company allows for working remotely in the sales territory you reside in with not much pressure to work standard hours; just perform well and how you go about it day to day isn't much of a concern
    -Sales management has recently implemented support employees to aid each sales rep in being successful such as sales assistants, business development lead/meeting generators, implementation support teams to take the sale to the next level-all of which allow for the sales rep to concentrate on making more new sales
    -Growth within is very attainable and more likely here at Zonar than what I have seen elsewhere. Most other companies will require some Ivy League education that looks good on paper, but Zonar cares mostly about performance within and maintain their culture

Cons

Not anything significant. Just some small stuff here and there that every fast growth company deals with. Zonar usually identifies their shortfalls and tries their best to rectify from what I can tell. They do care about being the best and making the work environment the best that it can be.

Advice to Management

-Continue to reward your top performers well as they are meeting some very high expectations that are not easy for everyone to do
    -Suggest better end of year bonuses and awards as those receiving them have most likely sacrificed a large amount of time away from family and made Zonar a lot more money than the average employee, thus the accolades should reflect the performance

Jul 22, 2016 – Senior Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your continued contribution to the success of Zonar! We love hearing from our employees!

"Great company to learn from and grow within"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zonar Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company culture, awesome fellow coworkers, fun parties, great team building events. Ability to be exposed to a lot of situations and learn a ton.

Cons

Benefits are pricey for dependents, but that's a lot of companies

Advice to Management

Exciting time with the Continental acquisition

Dec 6, 2016 – Senior Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your continued contribution to the Zonar family! We are excited about the future!

"I was released after 6 weeks...."

Former Employee - A/R Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - A/R Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zonar Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is excited to be a part of the company growth and success. They give great product and company training. The benefits were good and the co-workers were wonderful.

Cons

My manager and I worked together like oil and water. I was concerned about this from the beginning.

Feb 24, 2017 – Senior Talent Acquisition Manager

It is always unfortunate when you come in and personalities don't gel. We wish you success in the future.

"Management is destroying the company culture"

Former Employee - Technical Program Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Technical Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zonar Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are extremely intelligent and most friendly. The products are interesting and challenging. Decent location. Paid timely. Good places to eat nearby.

Cons

The work environment is extremely hostile, mostly within upper management. The office politics are never ending. People are constantly under stress and it shows. This is a common theme in online reviews because it's true! It's an "eye-for-an-eye" within management so you must be careful or eventually you will be thrown under the bus as well.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, not just management. You are losing good employees. Surveys and restructure mean nothing if you never actually implement it.

Oct 12, 2016 – Senior Talent Acquisition Manager

Hello, it is unfortunate that you had such a bad experience with Zonar. Things are moving at lightning speed right now and we thrive to have a fair environment. We are currently holding focus groups ... More

"You have the potential, don't waste it"

I have been working at Zonar Systems full-time

Pros

Great culture, amazing people, respect for people, lots of food, diversity, opportunity to contribute and make a difference.

Cons

Too much cushion to long timers who are under performers enjoying cookies. That is ok if the founders have the money n believe that's how it should be, but when it starts impacting the new performers big time, good people will start quitting and the company could go down. It's imp to take action in the interest of the company.

Advice to Management

Invest in big data , analytics that you are known for. Take hard decision when it comes to non performers even if they r long timers. Hire right people for senior management roles.

"Zonar"

Former Employee - Product Management in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Product Management in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zonar Systems (Less than a year)

Pros

Great markets and customer relationships. OK on salaries.

Cons

Changing strategies created confusion in product direction.

8. "Great, fast paced environment"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President Sales in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President Sales in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zonar Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, high paced sales environment in an upstart, high growth market. Numerous growth opportunities and a product that is easy to sell due to high ROI.

Cons

Growth means growing pains. Changes are expected due to the growth so be ready to adapt on a dime. Internal Systems are still being finalized to accommodate the recent growth.

Advice to Management

Communication is key as you grow.

Jul 22, 2016 – Senior Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your continued contribution to the Zonar team!!

"They don't know what they do"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Seattle, WA

Pros

Good environment nice culture ceo has passion to do something .

Cons

Software development team are not professional they just act like they are doing something most racist and crap people especially the manager and the team

Advice to Management

If you can't hire people with worth that's fine but don't make your company worthless.

"High Stress and Uncomfortable Environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zonar Systems full-time

Pros

The founders want to have a great culture but only come out of their ivory tower (second floor gated corner for executives only) on special occasions. They want a small, start up company feel and try to convince everyone that is what they have. They want it to be a great company.

Cons

It isn't. In another review, it said no nepotism or all boys club, but oddly enough that is exactly what it is, especially in the sales department. Only one female sales manager out of more than 50.

I can't talk about other departments, but if you are looking at sales, run in the other direction. There are much, much better places to work. The change the compensation plan was to make sure most are making less.

The only way you are getting promoted in sales is if you are best buds with management. There is a locker room atmosphere and unless you are close friend with management you are not likely to succeed.

Friends and family are given the most productive and lucrative territories and then given bonuses for nothing other than picking up the phone when it rings. They are not looking for new customers and haven't added much in new business in years.

Advice to Management

Start over with sales team leaders. You have made several mistakes in your leadership choices; in and outside of sales.

Jul 29, 2016 – Senior Talent Acquisition Manager

At Zonar we have a very diverse workforce and strive to continuously improve on that. Our sales organization in particular is one of the most diverse in the industry. Our sales management team is ... More

"Best Company I Have Worked for Yet!"

Current Employee - Customer Care in Tukwila, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Care in Tukwila, WA

I have been working at Zonar Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I absolutely love it at Zonar! The growth I have seen since I have started almost a year ago is amazing! I love the people I work with and the culture they are trying to maintain while growing. I have never worked for a company that take's care of their employees as well as Zonar has. I love coming to work each day and look forward to the challenges I face. I always have work to do which make my days fly by. I really like how engaged the founders still are with the company and products they offer. Most of all I am impressed with Zonars Customer Care department. On a daily bases I am reminded by our customers how we have the best customer service dept of any company they call. It feels great to hear what a great job we are doing not only by our customers but by our management team also. I strongly recommend Zonar to anyone looking for a fast paced and challenging place of employment.

Cons

I feel like our product ordering process can be a little more efficient for our customers. The length of time it takes customer to order basic products we sell can sometime take longer that needed.

Advice to Management

Continue to work on solutions to improve order turn around for our customers. Other that that continue to do what your have been doing.

May 3, 2016 – Recruiter

Thank you for your post! We appreciate any and all feedback, and it’s always great to hear from team members who are enjoying their careers here at Zonar!