Zonar Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Zonar Systems President Ian McKerlich
Ian McKerlich

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The culture is phenomenal and great work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Definitely a great company thats still in "start up" phase but still growing at a fast pace (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • I've noticed that not everyone is adaptable to a fast paced, constantly evolving & largely results orientated culture (in 5 reviews)

• Working at zonar seemed okay when I started but later there are some people whose looks are good but they are the worst to work with (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"AWESOME PLACE TO WORK!!"

I have been working at Zonar Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It has been an awesome and exciting journey to watch Zonar become what it is today. The culture is phenomenal and great work-life balance! Growth potential is fantastic, people are amazing and I feel valued! Love my team and the high morale that is always present, starting with leadership and all the talented teams. Communication has improved, with continues updates and consistent quarterly all hands meetings. Those that have the drive and get out of their comfort zone excel very fast!

Cons

Keeping up with continues changes and growth can be challenging to some.

Jun 28, 2017 – Senior Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for all that you do for Zonar!!! Enjoy the ride!

2. "Installation Specialist"

Former Employee - Installation Specialist in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Installation Specialist in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Zonar Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and great atmosphere

Cons

Not competitive with compensation compared to industry

Advice to Management

Stand up for your employees

Aug 4, 2017 – Senior Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your contribution to the success of Zonar! WE appreciate you being on this journey with us!

3. "Good People, Management is indecisive"

I worked at Zonar Systems full-time

Pros

Opportunity for advancement due to high turnover

Cons

Management very ineffective. Takes months (Sometimes years) to get anything approved or released. Generates a lot of pressure on workers. Not flexible with hours. Some positions require a lot work from home ( combined with work from office), sometimes only getting 3-5 hours off a day for a week. Seems like they take advantage that WA doesn't have a required break between shifts and work you to death.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

4. "Software Development Engineer"

I worked at Zonar Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Talented devs on the ground, decent work/life balance

Cons

Absolutely terrible management, on multiple levels. It's odd, as most of the managers above would've been people I'd be comfortable grabbing a beer with, but as people in leadership they have consistently failed everyone on the ground.

Some highlights:
    - no forward plan for entire teams (got a "long-term plan" presentation once, it could be boiled down to keep doing what you're doing, we'll figure it out as we go along)
    - denying training material/mentors to new hires
    - excluding team members from the work that they are interested in
    - stonewalling employees on both goal-setting and therefore on promotions
    - offering leadership positions in writing then rescinding the offer
    - getting adequate maternity leave resulting in excessive questioning of dedication
    - managers stealing presentations/proposals/work of their team
    - prioritization based on which customer is screaming the loudest
    - piles and piles of tech debt. (this is not a big data company. Maybe if they get the technical overhaul they want before the company collapses they can get there, but as is there is too much tech debt)
    - concerns going unheard ("my manager's behavior is causing half my team to leave" is not an email that warrants any follow-up apparently)
    - this wasn't true prior to 2017, but true all this year: the longer I stayed the more junior I was considered to be. (For context, I was with the company for 2+ years)
    - Keeping around team leads that scream at people, and consistently make terrible decisions (ex. never using a standard library in favor of writing their own type terrible decisions)

Advice to Management

You can't optimize teams if there are no developers on those teams. The future technical architecture vision will be awesome, but you will never get there if you forget to make sure to keep developers happy. You have a lot of really good developers, both in that they are technically very competent, and really want to work together to help out. Driving them out in the name of expediency/optimization/streamlining/etc isn't going to help you.

5. "Great people, very bad management."

Former Employee - Help Desk Support in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Help Desk Support in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zonar Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team of people to work with. Good benefits. Great company events. Free drinks and some food. Good location .

Cons

Advice to Management

Hire in advance before promoting people! It will make it easier on your associates to work, instead of struggling to cover 5 missing people for 6 months ......

Aug 25, 2017 – Senior Talent Acquisition Manager

We are very disappointed to hear that your experience here at Zonar was less than great. With the ebbing and flowing of the business, we sometimes fall behind. We wish you success in your future... More

"Strong Company with bright future"

Former Employee - Senior Leadership Team in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Leadership Team in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zonar Systems full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people and the passion everyone has is great. Room for growth and career advancement for those who are dedicated & motivated.

Cons

Ever changing work environment as company continues to change culturally to keep up with growth. Real challenges with scalability face the company.

Advice to Management

Listen and respect the few folks remaining who were part of what got the company where it is today

Jun 16, 2017 – President and CEO

Thanks for your sound advice and many contributions!

7. "Experience and Qualification doesn't matter."

I worked at Zonar Systems full-time

Pros

Small company; so a little flexible with employees hence good work-life balance.

Cons

Nepotistic environment. If you aren't good at sucking up to people, don't expect any advancement.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate hiring and promotion procedure. Many in leadership roles of the company are not technically knowledgeable enough to be leading a technology company.

Jun 28, 2017 – Senior Talent Acquisition Manager

As we continuously try to improve the processes we definitely see some gaps. Thank you for your feedback.

"An amazing place to have worked"

Former Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zonar Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Zonar is a fast growing company with big 5-year corporate goals and a top tier management, sales and marketing team with the vision and collective expereince to make them happen.

If you're thinking about applying to Zonar definitely do it. With the right personality and drive you will be a good fit on the Zonar team.

The employee culture is exceptional. They really go out of their way to make the employees feel valued.

Quarterly company meeting keep employees in the loop and are great corporate events to attend.

You can write your own ticket if you have the drive an ambition.

Best working/life balance job experience that I ever had.

Cons

Doing great work is not enough at Zonar. The company is growing and changing at a fast pace and you need to be willing step outside your comfort zone, always bring a positive attitude to your team and be willing take on new challenges. If you don't you will not last long term.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. You're on the right path to making Zonar an even bigger success than it already is in the smart fleet market.

Jun 28, 2017 – Senior Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your contribution to making Zonar GREAT!!!! Your hard work will not go un noticed!

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Program Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zonar Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People at work are nice to work with and we have fun while getting work done. There is good work life balance and special events like lunch provided at lunch and learns as well as a Friday happy hour on-site. There is a good amount of opportunity in the work - plenty of interesting work to do. There is a great focus on agile and Scrum, and a great work culture.

Cons

1) Low company 401k contribution (1.5%), 2) a few people with bad behavior don't seem to be corrected enough or weeded out

Advice to Management

Consider an annual bonus or better company 401k contribution

May 15, 2017 – Senior Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you so much for your continued work toward the success of Zonar. We are growing and with growing comes growing pains. We appreciate everything you do!

10. "Regional Account Manager"

Former Employee - Regional Account Manager
    Former Employee - Regional Account Manager

I worked at Zonar Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well known product, industry leader. Good compensation and benefits. Good Sales Managers and a fun sales team. Excellent customer support.

Cons

Quoting customers is too complicated, can slow down the sales process. Poor communication about product releases/timelines. Need to update some products to be more competitive.

Jun 28, 2017 – Senior Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for this important feedback. I will be sure to share with the sales leaders.