Zonar Systems Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Zonar Systems President Ian McKerlich
Ian McKerlich

1. Featured Review

"Sales Team w/ High Expectations to Perform-pay well for doing so"

I have been working at Zonar Systems full-time

Pros

Fast Growth Company
    -Sales has high expectation to perform well and consistently
    -Compensation is very good for those that perform well-can make several hundred thousand dollars consistently and realistically. You definitely write your own check
    -Sales Leadership empowers their sales reps to succeed
    -Marketing is now in close communications with Sales which has allowed for more collaborative solutions, releases of solutions, and value-centric literature
    -Company allows for working remotely in the sales territory you reside in with not much pressure to work standard hours; just perform well and how you go about it day to day isn't much of a concern
    -Sales management has recently implemented support employees to aid each sales rep in being successful such as sales assistants, business development lead/meeting generators, implementation support teams to take the sale to the next level-all of which allow for the sales rep to concentrate on making more new sales
    -Growth within is very attainable and more likely here at Zonar than what I have seen elsewhere. Most other companies will require some Ivy League education that looks good on paper, but Zonar cares mostly about performance within and maintain their culture

Cons

Not anything significant. Just some small stuff here and there that every fast growth company deals with. Zonar usually identifies their shortfalls and tries their best to rectify from what I can tell. They do care about being the best and making the work environment the best that it can be.

Advice to Management

-Continue to reward your top performers well as they are meeting some very high expectations that are not easy for everyone to do
    -Suggest better end of year bonuses and awards as those receiving them have most likely sacrificed a large amount of time away from family and made Zonar a lot more money than the average employee, thus the accolades should reflect the performance

Jul 22, 2016 – Senior Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your continued contribution to the success of Zonar! We love hearing from our employees!

2. "I like it"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Zonar Systems (Less than a year)

Pros

Good team, good people, technology always advancing.

Cons

No cons that i can see so far.

Feb 2, 2017 – Senior Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for all you do every day to make Zonar successful!

3. "I was released after 6 weeks...."

Former Employee - A/R Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - A/R Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zonar Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is excited to be a part of the company growth and success. They give great product and company training. The benefits were good and the co-workers were wonderful.

Cons

My manager and I worked together like oil and water. I was concerned about this from the beginning.

Feb 24, 2017 – Senior Talent Acquisition Manager

It is always unfortunate when you come in and personalities don't gel. We wish you success in the future.

"Trying hard and a lot of potential"

I have been working at Zonar Systems full-time

Pros

Recognize that previous product development was not modern or scalable and moving to address that. Many good recent hires at exec level (with some exceptions). Smart folks and great desire to succeed. decent base pay. Decent benefits.

Cons

No participation of any kind in terms of stock, profit sharing, or bonus.
    Understaffed in key areas such as IT if they really want to grow into a modern tech company.
    Limited PTO.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward. Focus on the future, Offer stock and performance bonuses or increase base.

Jan 5, 2017 – Senior Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you so much for your continued contribution to Zonar's success! We know you have hung in there through many changes. We hope to have long-term incentives in place in the near future.

"Sales runs the company"

Pros

Depending on your role/department, advancement could be limitless. Benefits have gotten better but they are still lacking in some areas (401k matching)

Cons

At times felt like High School. There are definitely favorites and those are the ones that advance in the company.

You can't pick a fight with Sales and win. They are empowered to do whatever it takes to close a sale, regardless of the consequences for the rest of us.

Certain departments are treated better than others.

Advice to Management

When Sales does well, that benefit should trickle down to support staff.

"Great company to learn from and grow within"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Zonar Systems full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company culture, awesome fellow coworkers, fun parties, great team building events. Ability to be exposed to a lot of situations and learn a ton.

Cons

Benefits are pricey for dependents, but that's a lot of companies

Advice to Management

Exciting time with the Continental acquisition

Dec 6, 2016 – Senior Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your continued contribution to the Zonar family! We are excited about the future!

"A bit greedy, but generally good."

I have been working at Zonar Systems full-time

Pros

Very friendly family-like atmosphere.
    Very approachable management.
    Pretty relaxed atmosphere.
    Good salary for engineers

Cons

Disorganized and going through reforms for years.
    Products that you can't be proud of
    Lack of professionals, a lot of amateurs
    Low salary for everyone, but engineers

Advice to Management

Hire professionals

Oct 12, 2016 – Senior Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your feedback. With all the changes that are happening at Zonar we definitely want to hear from you. Please reach out to us at hr@zonarsystems.com with any questions or ideas that you ... More

"Management is destroying the company culture"

Former Employee - Technical Program Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Technical Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Zonar Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are extremely intelligent and most friendly. The products are interesting and challenging. Decent location. Paid timely. Good places to eat nearby.

Cons

The work environment is extremely hostile, mostly within upper management. The office politics are never ending. People are constantly under stress and it shows. This is a common theme in online reviews because it's true! It's an "eye-for-an-eye" within management so you must be careful or eventually you will be thrown under the bus as well.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, not just management. You are losing good employees. Surveys and restructure mean nothing if you never actually implement it.

Oct 12, 2016 – Senior Talent Acquisition Manager

Hello, it is unfortunate that you had such a bad experience with Zonar. Things are moving at lightning speed right now and we thrive to have a fair environment. We are currently holding focus groups ... More

"Poorly organized"

I worked at Zonar Systems full-time

Pros

Fun, hardworking people. Good benefits. Great products.

Cons

The company is all over the place. There is a constant struggle for power with ideas being yelled out and not shared properly. The founders and original management team have been in charge for too long and when you disagree with them you get fired. This was not the case with me I just saw it happen a lot.

Advice to Management

If you want to be successful get rid of all of your old timers and bring in people who know how to make a company successful in the current day and age.

"You have the potential, don't waste it"

I have been working at Zonar Systems full-time

Pros

Great culture, amazing people, respect for people, lots of food, diversity, opportunity to contribute and make a difference.

Cons

Too much cushion to long timers who are under performers enjoying cookies. That is ok if the founders have the money n believe that's how it should be, but when it starts impacting the new performers big time, good people will start quitting and the company could go down. It's imp to take action in the interest of the company.

Advice to Management

Invest in big data , analytics that you are known for. Take hard decision when it comes to non performers even if they r long timers. Hire right people for senior management roles.