Cover image for Zonar Systems

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Zonar Systems Employee Reviews about "good people"

Updated May 3, 2021

77 Comments

Tech

574.2K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Zonar Systems~645427
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about Zonar Systems? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Zonar Systems employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "English speakers (always made fun of those who didn’t understand English and would call them dumb for not understanding) Terrible management Terrible communication Hostile environment(in 9 reviews)
  • "Senior Leadership has too many priorities and TODOs without a clear focus or cohesive vision.(in 7 reviews)
  • "The work environment is extremely hostile, mostly within upper management.(in 5 reviews)
  • "I am shocked there hasn't been more law suits against the company for how badly employees are treated and how managers seems to be able to get away with anything.(in 4 reviews)
  • "I'm going to cut your pay and i'm going to drastically increase your quotas.(in 3 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "good people"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 3.0

Behind the times

Dec 13, 2022 - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good people in most departments. Good management outside of the upper tier.

Cons

Archaic approach to tech a lot of times. Not good at innovating recently. Disconnected c-suite

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 5.0

Marketing Specialist

May 4, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great leadership team and company culture. Opportunity to make a real impact on the company's success. Career growth and development is encouraged.

Cons

Process lacking in some areas...but the good news is that people are open to new ideas and work together to make improvements.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Senior Talent Acquisition Manager

Thanks for all that you did to get Zonar to where we are today! We appreciate you!

3. Join the Zonar Systems team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 4.0
    Current Employee

The Real Problem of Zonar (Downtown Office)

Aug 24, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pretty neat company. Zonar hires good people.

Cons

The real problem in our office should be transparent to everyone. I am of course talking about our glass door, the one in the lobby, not Glassdoor.com. In some effort to be trendy, or perhaps as a sort of CI/CD pipeline test for human-resources, Zonar decided the main office entrance door should have pull handles on both sides that works only one way (but which way does it work? I forgot). To make matters worse, the door has a sadistic mind of it's own. Choosing sometimes to not unlock the door as you approach dreaming of your hard-earned weekend and Wham! Bam!, a software dev hits the locked door like a bird on a freshly cleaned window. The poorly prepared are just as susceptible on arrival as departure; You card, the door clicks unlocked, you have reached the door, determined that it needs to be pulled not pushed (or was it pushed not pulled?), and door has locked again as if to taunt your decaffeinated brain with an impassable vitreous portal even the riddling Sphinx might find vexing. As you can see, or maybe not (it *is* translucent), the door poses challenges in the morning and afternoon. As I will show you, the clear portal of spite also provokes havoc mid day! Possibly with knowledge of the door's most sinister characteristics, Zonar decided to lure employees into the lobby with a vending machine full of chilled bottled drinks. But, it is a TRAP! The meeting-addled brain of the poor IT person has left their id in their jacket, and like a crab pot, the door only allowed them one way access. With shame in their eyes, and drink in hand, they have to attempt to use the virtual receptionist to re-gain their desk. The glass door does not just offend regular employees. Our visitors become victims when they must sign into the virtual receptionist, an ipad-thing only a child could figure out (really!). Whilst the visitor solves the digital puzzle they also have to watch through the pellucid barrier as employees walk awkwardly by, unsure if they should open the door or not to accept the delightful responsibility of tracking down the visitors host (side-note: finding and retrieving a senior manager is like herding cats; when you finally find them hiding under a desk, they tend to walk the wrong way).

4 people found this review helpful
  5. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

So much talent, so little leadership. A company in decline.

Sep 30, 2019 - Sales in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible schedules and low expectations make it easy to be 'successful' here. Genuinely nice co-workers and most of the managers and executives are good people. Decent benefits and recently increased 401k match.

Cons

A clumsy reorganization in July has led to a steep decline in revenue and mass exodus of some of our best employees and managers across many departments. New CRO and sales leadership have failed to lead and there is massive confusion and no clear direction. Sales and Marketing departments are as disconnected as ever. Q4 is looking ugly, customer churn continues to increase and more and more employees are exiting the company. Obsessive focus on cost cutting is hurting sales and morale- everyone knows you have to spend money to make money so give your teams the tools they need to be successful. Everyone knows what's broken- so invest the time and money to fix our antiquated back office systems.

9 people found this review helpful
  6. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Needs to make some changes

Sep 14, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The product is easy to get behind. From EVIR, to their pupil solutions, to almost everything produced is helping to make the world a safer and more efficient place. Most of Zonar's focus is helping save companies money, but an excellent side effect are the environmental and societal benefits that comes with it. It's not difficult to have pride in the types of products that are supported. There are a lot of really talented people at Zonar. Some of these people have been there for years, and are very loyal employees. Some of them are brand new and eager to participate in the company. Zonar has the potential to do amazing things. Their market position is in a great spot to take off. Their OEM partnerships are massively strategic, and their alignment with Continental in the automotive industry positions them to be a dominant force.

Cons

Moral and attitude is a major issue at Zonar. People are not happy anymore, and it’s contagious. Negativity runs rampant. The company “culture” is a joke and feels forced and contrived. You can throw waffles at people every Wednesday and it doesn’t help solve the root of the problem. Zonar’s employees need to be heard, and then the feedback they are giving needs to be addressed with more than just lip service. Zonar lost it's vision and is spinning. The market is changing, consolidating and moving away from aftermarket solutions. The CEO sees this and I think he has the right idea, but that isn't being translated through the top of the product delivery org. The directors and below in delivery are trying to align with his vision, but there are management layers above them that are making that task difficult. Many of those management layers are part of the problem. There was a turn a couple years ago where Zonar decided it was going to solve all of it's problems by hiring a bunch of directors, VPs and unnecessary management layers instead of investing in more ICs that can help get things done. In addition, they did not hire the right people into those positions. There is a revolving door of VPs and directors because they constantly miss on those hires. This is exhausting for anyone who works below them. Recruiting was not done well, and a significant amount of technical resources were contract conversions, so they aren't hiring the right people, they are just trying to keep bodies in seats because recruiting can't get the job done. For every one of the talented and loyal employees mentioned prior, there is at least one matching toxic and ineffective employee. Zonar is bad at letting people go, even when it’s well accepted that an individual is a net negative on the organization. This has drove a SIGNIFICANT amount of talented and respected staff out of Zonar. The good talent is leaving in droves because the people management is not effective at pruning when needed, and supporting the people making a difference.

14 people found this review helpful
  7. 1.0
    Former Contractor, less than 1 year

Backstabbing people

May 21, 2016 - Anonymous Contractor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good environment Good facilities Great place to work of you are with in the right team and good people around you.

Cons

Worse teamwork Even worse people in the team. No good leadership and no good communication. Mainly few of the people has some kind of grudges( I have no damn idea why ) Working at zonar seemed okay when I started but later there are some people whose looks are good but they are the worst to work with .. If you don't want contractors don't hire them in the first place. Hiring them and later firing without any proper reason is just waste of time for us. Company is good but not all the people are truthful. FYI - there are people who backstabs others.

1 person found this review helpful
  8. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

A good place to work all things considered

May 3, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Employee benefits improved while I was there -Small company atmosphere, but changing with acquisition -profitable business, gave all employees some participation in company performance despite small (something is better than nothing) -Good people and generally good atmosphere

Cons

-Covid & other challenges in business causing struggles -Company no longer in growth phase, business stagnating -No employee equity, business was already acquired. -Some managers difficult to work with, HR a little passive in addressing some issues related to professionalism amongst certain employees.

2 people found this review helpful
  9. 1.0
    Former Employee

Good people hamstrung by bad management

Dec 12, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work/life balance Good people on the ground.

Cons

My former manager managed out all the women on his team. Some were transferred to other teams, but most left the company entirely due to lack of support. ~60-65% turnover rate among software engineers.

7 people found this review helpful

Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for helping to build Zonars product. We have the utmost respect for our employees and we are always striving to be better. I am not sure where you got the 65% turnover number, but we are well within industry standards when it comes to turnover and it would probably take upwards of 3 years to have that high turnover. We wish you success in the future.

10. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good people, room for improvement

Dec 5, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

A lot of the people here are really genuine, good people who care a lot about the work they do and about their coworkers. The products are aimed towards safety and efficiency of fuel so there is a good mission. The work-life balance is solid.

Cons

Smaller company so less room for growth or new roles, communication between the two larger offices in Seattle area is spotty so it sometimes feels like you're working for 2 different companies, not to mention the culture in each office is quite different. Turnover is high which is draining. Sometimes the smaller company environment feels a little gossipy and unprofessional.

6 people found this review helpful
  11. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Disappointed - has so much potential going unrealized

Feb 9, 2018 - TDC Employee in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

HR is active, current with trends and best practices and supportive of improving Executive Marketing leadership is outstanding There is a core of great people at the company that I like working with Interesting industry and potentially cool technology Reasonable PTO and perks, good base salary

Cons

Picture painted in the recruiting process does not match reality of working at Zonar. Lost its innovation and struggling against competitors Executive product and sales leadership is non-strategic, small thinkers and highly randomizing Execs are not committed to leading, respecting people, or even being good managers Lack of strategic vision = shiny object syndrome and flailing about No bonus payout due to poorly articulated MBOs and failure to engage delivery teams in the commitments Health plan deductible is very high

12 people found this review helpful

Director, Talent Acquisition

At Zonar we strive to be transparent with our employees with our quarterly all hands meetings. We encourage you to come forward with any ideas you have to help get the vision across. Feel free to drop by my desk anytime :) shami.marangwanda@zonarsystems.com

Viewing 1 - 13 of 13 English Reviews