Zones Reviews in Auburn, WA | Glassdoor

Auburn, WA

2.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Firoz Lalji

Pros
  • Best work/life balance of any tech company I have worked for, off the majority of nights and weekends (in 18 reviews)

• Since I started I've seen many great changes, I enjoy the free food though I wish it was a daily thing (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is not in touch with the individual contributors (in 24 reviews)

• Low pay with bad commission structure (in 12 reviews)

1. "Senior Government/Education Account Executive"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn, WA

I have been working at Zones full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My boss doesn't micromanage me.

Cons

Unreasonable revenue/margin goals. Low base wage.

"Great People / Not so Great Everything Else"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Auburn, WA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Auburn, WA

I have been working at Zones full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people at Zones are amazing! Friendly, happy to help, and genuinely nice. They have competent people in supporting roles, most all of which will respond to requests for resources quickly.

Cons

Their compensation plan and insurance is probably the worst I have ever seen. Up until Jan 1 2017, their compensation plan mirrored most of their competitors and partners. Starting this new year, that changed. Pay checks were slashed for most in sales and there has been a mass exodus of sales folks.

Advice to Management

The compensation changes have disrupted the lives of many employees. Either you didn't know better or you just wanted to thin the herd without paying out benefits. I'm not sure which is worse. Change this, before it is too late.

3. "Great Place to Start Career"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Auburn, WA

I worked at Zones full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location, learning and training opportunities

Cons

Job harder than recruiters described. Leads were mostly reused and business not as easy to obtain as originally told

Advice to Management

Keep training programs, with more from partner reps and less from onsite training team

"Look elsewhere for technical position"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn, WA

Pros

Good food. Not every day; Quarterly. Good parking. Nice drip coffee.

Cons

Sales oriented culture if that's what your looking for than it's for you. If applying for any technical position you will feel left out and be that nerd in high school surrounded by "cool" people. The pay is very low compared the industry.

"Terrible Leadership from Top to Bottom"

Current Employee - Inside Account Executive in Auburn, WA
    Current Employee - Inside Account Executive in Auburn, WA

I have been working at Zones full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Location, traffic is bad everywhere but Auburn is easier than Seattle or Bellevue. The other "Pro" is that you get exposure to a wide variety of technology companies since we sell everyone's products from Microsoft to HP to Dell to Symantec.

Cons

I am and Inside Account Executive (IAE) and my manager couldn't bring less to the table than he currently he does. He has been our sales manager for over three years and he still doesn't do anything himself, our team participates in meetings run by the Sales Directors or the Field VP's but outside of that my sales manager has never had an idea of his own. He sends email alerts about updating CRM so he can fake to his boss that he has some idea of what is going on with the sales activities related to his sales people. I've never seen someone so unfit for their job. Recently my coworkers have been quitting, it is so uninspiring to work for someone that brings so little to the table. The sad part is that he is just so bad at his job that he will never be promoted to another position and he seems to have no drive to do anything else, he will be the sales manager in his position forever. He is afraid of conflict, instead of having difficult decisions with his people he just lets all of us do whatever we want.

Advice to Management

Please re-evaluate the sales leadership at Zones. I have sales managers and sales directors that really do nothing except gather information and send it up the chain. They are closer to operations managers than directors, I don't think I've ever heard a creative idea from any of them. My other advice is please simplify things, it seems like the compensation model is changed way too frequently and it seems like you're trying to get way too cute with it. Currently nobody is driving new business because of the way you've structured things. Inside Sales is a reactive business so we're not driving new business and Field Sales should be driving new business but you have them only focused on Professional Services, a line of business that we don't have the resources to compete. Zones seems in disarray right now, it seems that the leadership has gotten so cute with the compensation model that you've confused yourselves and everyone else. Nobody trusts the leadership here, decisions are made without thinking them through.

"Culture"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Auburn, WA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Auburn, WA

I have been working at Zones full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Located in Auburn verses Seattle

Cons

Culture is so poor it trumps anything positive. Leadership in upper management don't listen and only care about themselves. They don't promote growth. Pay is awful compared to the industry.

"Come work for this company if you love getting screwed over!"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Auburn, WA

I worked at Zones full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The partner fairs are fun, the people you work with(most) are great, the Starbucks across the street and shopping area is convenient

Cons

The cons outweigh the pros. This a poor excuse of a "tech" company. Start ups take better care of their employees. PPM is all washed up retail people with no sales skills, the core director hires dumb girls with big jugs, management constantly talks about leaving zones, cloud teams are a joke. They are okay with knowing they pay their employees poverty wages. Ha. Do not come here. OEM's think Zones sales practices are terrible. Cause they are.

Advice to Management

Get rid of every director, and c level employee. Sell the company. Or just close Zones as a whole. You are failing. In every aspect. Good luck.

"Second Review"

Current Employee - Elite Account Executive in Auburn, WA
    Current Employee - Elite Account Executive in Auburn, WA

I have been working at Zones full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Few come readily to mind

Cons

Constantly shifting comp plan (2 pay plans in the last three months)
    Incompetent management
    Terrible sales support
    Horrible lead generation
    Arbitrary sales targets
    Poisonous company culture
    Seedy HR dept.
    No institutional transparency

Advice to Management

Just sell the company already.

"Zones is a great first step in a tech career."

Current Employee - Category Manager in Auburn, WA
    Current Employee - Category Manager in Auburn, WA

I have been working at Zones (More than 3 years)

Pros

Upward mobility is great. Ample recognition for those employees that work hard. Love the coworkers as well as my teammates.

Cons

Lack of corporate culture can be a downer. Unrealistic goal setting by senior management is also a reoccurring theme within the company.

Advice to Management

Review corporate culture

"Stay as far as you can away from this place!!!"

Former Employee - Brand Champion in Auburn, WA
    Former Employee - Brand Champion in Auburn, WA

I worked at Zones full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Stay as far away from this place as possible. If you come from retail or do not have a degree, sure, go ahead and work here. If you like to stay in the comfortable "boys club" from the 1950's sure, work here. If you want to actually be with the times and advance your career, dont even waste your time.

Cons

Micromanaging is Zones' business model. There is ZERO trust in their employeees. Everyone claws over each other to reach to the top and will throw you under the bus at a moments notice. I pray for the people that drink the company kool-aid.

There has been so so much turn over in my position and I wasnt about to change that. People get promoted based on their time there not on a job well done. Which shows seeing how management is unfit to actually manage people and even if you want to suggest better tactics to your manager, be ready for backfire. It is expected not to go against the grain and to keep your mouth shut. Heaven forbid a "technology" company evolves and actually joins the rest of the tech industry. Management will preach all day long that Zones' is going places and are competitive. Straight. Bull. Zones' numbers are consistently low with the rest of the industry and partners. I know theyre trying to change the culture. They have done this before. They sent out a survey to get employees opinions. Firoz sees the negative feedback and ignores it and doesnt act on it. If this company were to actually change, it would have to come from the top. Most of management expects to you to know who they are even if you havent met them. And will NOT be nice if you do not know who they are.

When i interviewed i was told i would be busy but after starting i realized everyone around me was busy becuase they were busy doing everyone else's job. My manager was concerned i wasnt as busy because i actually got my work done on time and asnt trampling over everyone else. The least efficient work environment. I also tried to negotiate salary when i started. The recruiter acted like she had never heard of negotiating before, come to find out my male counterpart negotiated his salary high when he started and they did not hear me out at all. Unbelievable.

Also HR writes the good reviews on here, so dont be fooled.

Advice to Management

close the company down and pour out the kool-aid.