Zones Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.4
Firoz Lalji

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Best work/life balance of any tech company I have worked for, off the majority of nights and weekends (in 23 reviews)

• Nice and friendly people, free food at end of quarter (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is not in touch with the individual contributors (in 30 reviews)

• Low pay with bad commission structure (in 12 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Happy with experience so far"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Portland, OR

I have been working at Zones (More than a year)

Pros

- Pay is not bad
    - Managers are helpful
    -Training is 3 months and excellent
    - Everyone in the office is cool
    -No hard call numbers but should be up there

Cons

- work schedule is early
    - slow starting off

Advice to Management

Work on consistent compensation plans

2. "Operations"

I have been working at Zones full-time

Pros

Management culture enables continuous process improvement.

Cons

Almost no opportunity for promotion.

3. "Global Sales Specialist"

Former Employee - GLOBAL SALES SPECIALIST in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - GLOBAL SALES SPECIALIST in Richardson, TX

I worked at Zones full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Liked that I worked from home.

Cons

Corporate office is in Seattle WA so my position was eliminated.

4. "Software Executive"

Current Employee - Software Sales Executive in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Sales Executive in Austin, TX

I have been working at Zones full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Remote position no micro-management, you handle your book of business.

Cons

Upper Management has no clue. Company started new Inside Out sales model and transitioned all named accounts to Inside Reps. This change ultimately resulted in loss of existing customers.

Advice to Management

Be accountable for your decisions. Do not let people in the field be the scapegoats of poor business decisions.

5. "Chicago Office"

I have been working at Zones full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location is solid, some co-workers are cool, autonomous work

Cons

Managers are scrambling to stay above water. They can't hire fast enough to fight the level of employee attrition. SPIFs and incentives continue to get worse. Forced into training sessions that are nothing beyond Sales Kool-Aid flavors of the week. VP is continuously coming up with plans and incentives that fizzle out of memory after a few weeks. After 2 years there is no bonus structure or incentive plan for successful reps who are actually hitting their goals.

Advice to Management

Restructure RAMP goals, SPIFs, and base pay for tenured reps before you lose more of them.

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Auburn, WA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Auburn, WA

I have been working at Zones full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good starter job for IT sales industry. A great opportunity to learn and network, if you take advantage of it.

Cons

The company treats employees as disposable, unless they are managing one of the top accounts

Advice to Management

Quit cutting commission rates, announce goals and commissions in a reasonable timeline, and quit forcing mandatory training that are waste of time

7. "Absolutely the WORST employer in the Tech space... run like the wind"

I worked at Zones full-time

Pros

You will leave one day....

Seriously, I still can't think of a pro to this place, the only "pro" was maybe that I left, and enjoyed my new job, appreciate it more.

Cons

You can't get rid of the scars...
    Management is just broken, there is ZERO direction. Lots of chaos, and undereducated managers with more drama than a hair salon, and ZERO logic. EVERY DECISION is made by the CEO, and none of his are any better than they were back in his Kit Camera days.

Lower management has no backbone, promises are made but not kept. The average level of intellect is abysmal.

Advice to Management

LOL like you would take it... my only advise?

Put down the stupid golf clubs and actually manage for once fool, maybe then you might have a team who gets things done.

8. "Worst environment I've ever worked in"

Current Employee - Engineer in Auburn, WA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Auburn, WA

I have been working at Zones full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, can sometimes work from home

Cons

I've been with Zones for some time now and have seen the ups and downs. I work as part of the group that supports one of the largest customers. They put on a really good front for customers but it's all smoke and mirrors. Things look highly organized from the outside, but when you actually get in, you'll regret it.

Workers: Although most employees are hired on a temporary or contract basis, there is a lack of transparency as to how the employment works. In my experience, the people who work hard and who pick up the job quickly, keep their job. Turnover is also incredibly high. In a single year, I've watched a team completely turn over, all of which left on their own accord.

Processes: For a company that touts selling the latest technology and solutions, we sure use a TON of paper. I think they kill a forest a day printing out paper work instructions and quality assurance documents.

Management: Mid level management, like directors and management are incredibly unprofessional. Vaping (managers) is tolerated indoors, cursing is part of every sentence, insults behind the backs of workers and racial slurs are rampant. A project coordinator gets treated like dirt from her managers and she just accepts it as the norm and it's okay. I have heard another manager tell her to "get back in the kitchen and make him a sandwich." Not only is this a lack of respect for your employees, but it is sexual harassment. The level of micromanagement is like I've never seen before. Job descriptions are very vague. Anything goes wrong, they pin it on one person because they're somehow supposed to know they were supposed to notify some of the error or mistake.

Salary and Benefits: I would never take a salaried position with this company again. I have had to put in 60+ hour weeks in addition, working weekends to accommodate deadlines. Nobody will care or say anything until you stop doing it and they realize things aren't getting done and want root cause analytics about why it didn't get done. Health insurance is nothing to write home about, but they do add $750 a year to help cover medical expenses in an HSA (which rolls over year to year). I have no complaints about my salary, only the number of hours often required to get the jobs done. If you're actually hired on full-time, be aware that you get NO vacation time for the entire first year of employment.

Too many people are stretched too thin and at some point something has to give.

I use my breaks and lunches to look for another job.

Advice to Management

Start respecting your workers and expect a higher level of professionalism from your managers and directors.

9. "account manager"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Auburn, WA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Auburn, WA

I worked at Zones full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It WAS a stable company to work for, for many years, until the last year or two that I was there

Cons

Base pay and insurance both stink, commission structure WAS 10% for many years only or be changed to pay for outside (FAE’s) and so many VP’s I lost count, and now the commission structure also stinks. This company is headed in the wrong direction. In my opinion they need a shake up with management, both sales managers and C-Level management.

Advice to Management

I won’t say, because they won’t listen anyway.

10. "Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Zones full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You’ll like your other coworkers and there’s a couple cool managers that people like to work under or they just like as a person

Cons

Everything about this place is a joke. They steal your money in any way they can. They rob you of your benefits and they don’t let you know about losing all of them until a week or so so you can’t do anything about it. The VP could care less about his employees. We’re nothing but numbers to these people and they expect all this work out of you but give you absolutely no resources to do it. They hide SPIFFS (extra money given by our partners) so that way we don’t have access to them. They charge our partners an obscene amount of money to train us and then provide subpar food so they can picket the rest of the money they make off of us.

They’ve angered almost every partner we work with. Managers have been known to harass people and play favoritism to the ones they like. They give the best accounts to the only AEs that’ll be friendly to them. They look past harassment filings. They pretend they care what you think so they have this non-impactful meeting asking what we want to see as far as changes and how happy employees are to work there. Zones scored so low they might as well just close down.

Don’t expect any help from some management because they expect you to be your own boss and maybe they’ll help you when they’re done smoking out of their cool vape pens.

In serious pain and need to work from home? Don’t bother asking because they would rather you sacrifice your hours then letting you do your job. But don’t worry every time some managers have a little cough tthey’ll have the option to work from home, but don’t expect them to actually work when they’re gone.

Advice to Management

To the one to two good managers there, get out while you can. And to the managers that claim to help manage maybe take a course on leadership because you guys severely lack those skills.