Zones Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.1
Firoz Lalji

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Little micro-management, uncapped commissions, work/life balance is great" (in 25 reviews)

• "Free Food (but even that isn't as good as it use to be)" (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • "Disillusioned upper management who believe there are no problems" (in 33 reviews)

• "Low pay with bad commission structure" (in 16 reviews)

"Director"

Current Employee - Director in Auburn, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Auburn, WA

I have been working at Zones full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Feels Like Family
    Private Company
    Nimble
    Excellent Team Members

Cons

I do not have anything at this time to share as a downside. I enjoy working at Zones, with my team, and the leadership team above me.

2. "Turnover machine"

Former Employee - Associate Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Zones full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some good people for the short time they are there

Cons

Every quarter sales methodology shifts. No one makes unrealistic quotas or unattainable quotas based on disorganized sales force.

Advice to Management

Stick to your guns and stick to a strategy.

"Interesting experience to say the least"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Zones full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I’ll start by saying my boss and my bosses boss were pretty good people. They were encouraging, and seemed to have a good grasp of the system and what they were selling. There was a lot hype and encouragement and people were recognized when they did well.

Cons

I can’t say it’s a bad company and I can’t say it’s a good company. They’re just..meh. They live in an industry that is so highly competitive that they’re never going to make ridiculous margins. They’re cheap, but they’re cheap because they have to be in order to stay competitive. No one really knows who they are, they’ve morphed so much over the past few years, so even though they’re a 2 billion dollar company, they never really seemed to have a ton of street cred in the VAR market place compared to CDW. Pay is incredibly low compared to other industries and even other companies within their own area. They pay account execs 35K with a 15K “guarantee”. 50K in downtown portland just isn’t good enough and they will have a high attrition rate if they keep up.
    There is a ton of overhead, they could probably service their existing accounts with 25% fewer employees. They have too many processes and their adoption of CRM has been slow as no one forecasts accurately or accurately tracks their opportunities. As a manager, you have no power to discipline employees who refuse to comply because they just go complain to HR if you are even the slightest negative. Guess what people, this is the real world, you can’t be positive 100 percent of the time. I could go on and on, but at the end of the day, the pay is too low, they have too many employees, too many processes and there is just so much red tape it’s difficult to do your job. Margins are so low that in order to exceed your ‘guarantee” you have to do at least 150000 in margin.

Advice to Management

Focus on services, higher margin stuff

4. "Enterprise Account Manager"

Former Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Orange, CA

I worked at Zones full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Zones has a great network of resources to assist account managers in servicing customers.

Cons

If you are a new rep it's difficult to get resources as they are all dedicated to the lifelong employees.

Advice to Management

Do more to foster new reps and give them support.

5. "Account executive"

Pros

No commission cap
    Ton's of opportunities within the company for vertical moves along with different skill set positions

Cons

Not a "fun" place to work. Very traditional

"Do not apply here."

I have been working at Zones full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

none really except your co-workers, it used to be a fun place to work.

Cons

no job security, low pay, management top heavy, lies and lack of benefits. this used to be a great place with opportunity, now after many jobs lost to india, then they fired all of them, moved another huge batch to Pakistan its only a matter of time till all US jobs get moved to other countries. A technology company that doesn't embrace technology, micro management from managers that don't understand the system and continually make poor choices on tools to be competitive and do our jobs. They changed sick pay and vacation without telling us, leaving many with dollars lost, They are horrible on communication.

Advice to Management

stop trying to be a sweat shop. take note of companies that win best companies to work .

"Was an okay place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn, WA

I worked at Zones full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some benefits decent and SOME people very decent

Cons

The amount of stress they put on you was not not worth being overworked underpaid

Advice to Management

take care of the people who take care of you

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Zones full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great relationship with vendors and partner management.

Cons

Not enough office growth. Lack of culture.

Advice to Management

Invest in management

"Senior Account Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Zones full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They hire great talent but they don’t stay after finding out the VPs and Directors are not capable. The resources are awful and pay sucks!

Cons

Pay is low and commission is poorly calculated

Advice to Management

Needs a major management clean up

"Incompetence reigns supreme."

Former Employee - Copywriter in Renton, WA
    Former Employee - Copywriter in Renton, WA

I worked at Zones (More than 8 years)

Pros

None. They are a fraudulent company ruled by incompetence and ignorance

Cons

Completely incompetent and ignorant leadership and employees.

Incompetences rules all
    Copywriter (Former Employee) – Renton, WA – August 31, 2018
    I was the only copywriter who knew anything about computers and yet I got paid less than the one who wrote “630GB of raw processing power”; GB is a unit of storage space, servers do not need immense processing power, and the performance of a CPU, the brain of the computer, is measured in GHz (non-super computers, that is).

Also the managers similarly had no computer knowledge because they approved that headline; got rid of the practice of adding keywords to each product, making them all but invisible to the database and therefore to both salespeople and customers; promoted their fellow ex-jocks even though they were unqualified; and refused to do their jobs.

Zones management kept creating unnecessary vp and director positions while ignoring important duties like database management and training ignorant employees. I actually tried to initiate training sessions to resolve the lack of basic computer knowledge and to reinstitute keywords but was ignored and eventually got fired for trying correct a mistake that was costing the company thousands of dollars per month.

That this company breaks even is because they bought a profitable company and includes its revenue as part of Zones’ total income, not from adequate management and business practices.

Advice to Management

Quit Zones and work for criminals like Trump, insuring our president keeps failing