Zones Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.1
Firoz Lalji

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Little micro-management, uncapped commissions, work/life balance is great" (in 25 reviews)

• "Free Food (but even that isn't as good as it use to be)" (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • "Disillusioned upper management who believe there are no problems" (in 33 reviews)

• "Low pay with bad commission structure" (in 15 reviews)

1. "Great Place!"

I have been working at Zones full-time

Pros

Awesome people and place to work!

Cons

Limited growth and opportunity to advance

2. "Account Excutive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Portland, OR

I have been working at Zones full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of training brought in by vendors. Lots of networking opportunities.

Cons

A lot of growth right now and some mangers have more to learn about management.

Advice to Management

Constructive Criticism.

3. "Account Excutive"

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Zones full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of learning opportunities for different products in the IT industry.

Cons

Luck of the draw in the beginning on whether you get great buying accounts. Doesn't mean you can't overcome that with extra effort.

4. "IT Support in a Sales Environment"

I worked at Zones full-time

Pros

Work was steady, and the staff were decently managed and informed. End-users were slightly more informed than what you see in other desktop support roles.

Cons

Funding toward the IT staff numbers and tools were lacking.

5. "Inside Account Executive"

Former Employee - Inside Account Executive in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Inside Account Executive in Portland, OR

I worked at Zones full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to meet the outside vendors and ask if they're hiring? That's pretty much the only 100% good thing that I can come up with. Secondarily, and it's not as big of a plus since it only extends to the non-managers, there are some really good people that work there. But my question is why? Maybe it's because they think every company is as terrible as this one is? Whatever the reason is, they should come to their senses and leave. There are thousands of jobs out there that are way better than this pathetic place- Wake up folks!

Cons

I could easily go on for pages and pages in this section, but I'll attempt to just hit the bigger issues.
    - Low (very low) pay. Not even close to what the competitive market demands.
    - Micro-managing like I've never seen before. Managers (of all levels) can listen in on your phone calls, without ever annoucing themselves to you or the customer. This is not a highly-regulated industry that requires such close scutiny! This is just an over-reaching by Zones of watching over the flock. Lack of trust perhaps? If you're any bit parnoid about the concepts of "big brother", this should be very concerning to you.
    - Company has a history of grabbing on to a new sales strategy every year or so. And when they do, it's almost cult-like indoctrination. Right now it's Question Based Selling. Everyone must learn to sell using these tools and little else!
    - Terrible benefits. Health Plan in particular.
    - An extremely cheap (privately held) company. Try asking your boss if you can expense buying a stapler or a pair of scissors- You'll be shocked by the answer!
    - Little to no certain for the well-being of the employees.

Again, there's a lot more... but what's the point? You already get the picture. The bottom line- Stay clear of this one!

Advice to Management

Stop drinking the company KoolAide. It's making you all become text-book managers. That's a far cry from real-world selling... and hopefully some of you will get that. When it comes to selling, there's no one-size-fits-all.

"Lies and deceit"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Auburn, WA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Auburn, WA

I worked at Zones full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food, proximity, Lots of OEM training, 50/50 shot on the value of the training depending on the OEM. There are a few shining stars that go above and beyond.

Cons

DO NOT believe a word MGT says, anyone that has to constantly says " I got your back" is a liar! Directors are so detached from what really goes on because they are being lied to constantly to save their inadequacies. If you a re 20 something year old female with no clue what to do then PPM is just right for you! The HR dept is biased and has ZERO clue what is going on. The culture is that it's alright for some to bang desks, throw things, and yell at people as long as you have kissed the right behind.

Advice to Management

Recognize and foster talent, you have been and continue to hemorrhage talent. up your pay, remove people who tell Firoz lies and only what he wants to hear.

"Lack of direction"

I worked at Zones full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is decent and benefits are good. Exceptionally good a fulfillment.

Cons

Leadership is without a rudder. Management changes quickly and along with it corporate strategy and direction. When a company is run by the owner, their personality flaws are magnified to the detriment of the company. Like a Walmart, the array of goods are staggering, but the services available to customers are laughable and over-priced

Advice to Management

Come up with a strategy and follow it through to completion

"Integration"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carol Stream, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carol Stream, IL

I have been working at Zones full-time (More than a year)

Pros

120 hours of PTO your first year
    401K
    Medical, Dental, and Vision Benefits
    If you join the Wellness Program you get a 50% discount on the monthly medical premium.
    Catered lunches every end of quarter
    OBR Program and Employee Purchase Plan that allows you to purchase IT equipment at great discounts.
    Not micro-managed.

Cons

Integration Lab has lots of broken equipment - such as mice, keyboards, and monitors.
    Internet bandwith doesn't accommodate some of the projects we have to handle.

Almost all of the Integration Lab staff started out as contract / temp workers. Some people have been with the company 2+ years and still haven't been hired on as permanent employees. Other really good, hardworking, knowledgeable people have left because they never saw any hope of being hired on or any growth within the company.

"not good"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Portland, OR

I worked at Zones full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice training classmates. Occasional Free food. Good annual party in Seattle. You never feel like your manager is smarter than you. No rabid monkeys running free. Indoor plumbing. No one died on prem. Foosball table. Some free swag.

Cons

Company strategy changes every few months. I was asked for a 2 yr commitment only to be fired the day before my 3 month training period was up. Before that I had one five minute talk with my boss in which I asked was I in danger of getting fired to which my boss said he'd rather talk about how we can make sure I succeed . My boss's bosses were detached and probably incompetent. The owner is a nice older millionaire who should probably retire. My boss would tell me to do one thing, then tell me to do the opposite, then go back to the first option. My boss talked about how his neighbors were doctors, what car he had, what car he wanted, how his father tried out for the Royals, and more. Then he told people to stop socializing and talking. I think me being his age was a problem. He likes young people who can't see through his smoke and mirrors. He has more shoes than Imelda Marcos. Clients hate being handed around like a bong to new AEs each couple months. Training is fun but not that reality based. They are an IT company with a messed up computer system. sales training is based on question based selling concept that is cult like and weird. Auburn where many sales trainers are looks down on Portland office.

Advice to Management

A career change come to mind ...

"Director of Services"

I worked at Zones full-time

Pros

Great technical resources and the technical leadership worked well together.

Cons

Too much emphasis on sales and not enough on training and development.