Cover image for Zones

Zones

Is this your company?

Zones

Add a Review

Zones Employee Reviews about "low pay"

Updated Oct 20, 2021

Verify your email to use filters. Having problems? Resend email
Found 1,059 of over 1K reviews
3.2
51% Recommend to a Friend
58% Approve of CEO

Found 160 of over 1K reviews

3.2
Zones Chairman, President, and CEO Firoz Lalji (no image)
Firoz Lalji

77 Comments

Tech

634.9K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Zones~6168
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about Zones? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Zones employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Met and worked with some great people(in 81 reviews)
  • "I enjoyed working for Zones for the excellent training and certification they provided.(in 32 reviews)
  • "There was a good work/life balance but only because they didn't want to have to pay overtime.(in 30 reviews)
  • "Free Food (but even that isn't as good as it use to be)(in 30 reviews)
  • "Good work environment(in 15 reviews)
Cons
  • "Management are poor(in 82 reviews)
  • "Place grabs people in need of a job and depletes them of all their motivation through poor business practice and low pay.(in 66 reviews)
  • "Some managers have a 'not it' mentality.(in 39 reviews)
  • "3) Upper management doesn't care about the salespeople.(in 36 reviews)
  • "Senior leadership remains in a state of flux between highly committed to executing on a strategic vision and resisting any change.(in 30 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Zones and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "low pay"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 1.0

Restructuring Nightmare!

Sep 25, 2015 - Operations in Auburn, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to start off and launch your career to a better company.

Cons

Place grabs people in need of a job and depletes them of all their motivation through poor business practice and low pay. Compensation clearly not competitive, management both senior and mid-level entrenched in old recycled ideas, zero retention initiatives, zero career planning, lack of mentor-ship, lack of holistic incentives and a severe lack of accountability at all levels. Management has no structured plan, top level seems to have even more of disconnect. Company cares less about employees or morale and more so about the bottom line.

9 people found this review helpful
  2. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Client Account Manager III

Jun 1, 2017 - Client Account Manager in Auburn, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good place to start your career and learn. Weekends off and holidays. Not much micro management, freedom to make decisions.

Cons

Culture is lacking moral due to poor pay and terrible commissions structure. Upper Management out of touch with employees. Overall revenue and margin increase year to year but pay doesn't reflect this change.

8 people found this review helpful
  3. Join the Zones team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 3.0
    Current Employee

Take job here as last resort for income

Dec 29, 2015 -  in Auburn, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

You get paid, so you may be able to pay some bills if your not married with children, have a house payment, car payment or need to pay for dental, vision or save for college. Plan to take only if you need to get paid asap. Plan to immediately update your resume, plan to stay 6-12 months and move on to a place that will value you and pay you better.

Cons

This company is cart before the horse at all times. Upper management makes constant changes and is on fire alerts daily. There is no focus regardless of what they say about helping you get the skills you need to move forward in your career path. They don't really give you pay increases when your title and responsibilities go up. They wrap your cost of living that is 'optional' to your performance of goals. These goals are even 20-25% more than actual partner goals. Meaning you rarely get bonuses. I could go on but clearly not a happy camper.

9 people found this review helpful
  5. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Poor Leadership and Weak Vision

Nov 16, 2021 - Vendor Management in Auburn, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

There really isn't any pro outside of the few amazing people you can meet.

Cons

Below average pay. Before COVID, the President of the company told everyone that we get paid less than market value, but should be grateful that we don't have to commute into the city proper and deal with traffic. Now that much of the work is done remotely nothing has changed. There's a dismal 5%-10% cap on pay raises when you get a promotion based on your department and tenure. So even if you spend years investing in yourself, giving your best effort, and make the company a bunch of money, you'll never see a significant pay increase proportionate to your effort. I honestly think this is why so many people leave after a short time. Leadership is very concerned with maintaining 'busy work' and the semblance of productivity. Tasks are recycled year after year and no context is given for why anything needs to happen. There is a total lack of company vision. No time is spent being innovative and trying to find ways to improve the business outside of maybe the marketing department. The sales teams are underpaid, under educated, and overworked. Most of the money for projects is scraped out of massively over-inflated marketing programs sold to our OEM partners. The sales teams, which are supposed to be the backbone of company, all seem miserable and jaded, but who can blame them considering the way they're treated.

1 person found this review helpful
  6. 4.0
    Former Employee

Great Place to Learn

Sep 25, 2020 - Account Executive in Auburn, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I was able to use it almost as getting paid to go to school, Zones offers extensive training.

Cons

low pay and very competitive market when on the sales team

Be the first to find this review helpful
  7. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Interesting experience to say the least

Oct 1, 2018 - Sales Manager in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

I’ll start by saying my boss and my bosses boss were pretty good people. They were encouraging, and seemed to have a good grasp of the system and what they were selling. There was a lot hype and encouragement and people were recognized when they did well.

Cons

I can’t say it’s a bad company and I can’t say it’s a good company. They’re just..meh. They live in an industry that is so highly competitive that they’re never going to make ridiculous margins. They’re cheap, but they’re cheap because they have to be in order to stay competitive. No one really knows who they are, they’ve morphed so much over the past few years, so even though they’re a 2 billion dollar company, they never really seemed to have a ton of street cred in the VAR market place compared to CDW. Pay is incredibly low compared to other industries and even other companies within their own area. They pay account execs 35K with a 15K “guarantee”. 50K in downtown portland just isn’t good enough and they will have a high attrition rate if they keep up. There is a ton of overhead, they could probably service their existing accounts with 25% fewer employees. They have too many processes and their adoption of CRM has been slow as no one forecasts accurately or accurately tracks their opportunities. As a manager, you have no power to discipline employees who refuse to comply because they just go complain to HR if you are even the slightest negative. Guess what people, this is the real world, you can’t be positive 100 percent of the time. I could go on and on, but at the end of the day, the pay is too low, they have too many employees, too many processes and there is just so much red tape it’s difficult to do your job. Margins are so low that in order to exceed your ‘guarantee” you have to do at least 150000 in margin.

3 people found this review helpful
  8. 2.0
    Former Employee

Sales Commission was terrible

Dec 1, 2016 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of spiff opportunities and constant sales competitions

Cons

The commission is terrible and they pay a very low percentage on just the margins for a deal.

2 people found this review helpful
  9. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Stepping stone

Jun 14, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Resume Builder Location (good that it's not in seattle) Occasional free lunch and outings

Cons

Underpaid. While the CEO parks his Ferraris and Bentleys right up front, taking multiple handicapped parking spaces. They keep changing the incentive plan, for EVERY department. Outrageous goals (50% increase for me each Q). Got 95% to that outrageous goal and still wouldnt pay me on a partial bonus. The insurance health plan sucks. It's so expensive with high co-pays. A lot of the sales people they hire are in-experienced and you have to hold their hands through everything. Lack of communication of company changes.

4 people found this review helpful
  10. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great jumping off point for the corporate world, not a great place to stay

Jan 6, 2023 - Partner and Product Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Gets you in contact with a lot of brands and companies that can really help your career take off

Cons

Pay isn't very good and they didn't offer full remote when I was there

Be the first to find this review helpful
  11. 1.0

n/a

Nov 15, 2015 -  in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

I can't think of any

Cons

The recruiter for this job told me there would be no cold calling and that it would be selling into established relationships with companies. False, it is 8 hours of cold calling companies Zones hasn't been successful with since 2007... I was offered a higher salary; then when the job offer letter came, it was way lower.. and they denied my counter offer. This is the most unprofessional office I have ever been in. Upper management pick favorites and only help them. The only good thing offered by this company/distraction from looking at a computer screen for 8 hours straight was free food, and that was taken away because it was distracting to us... The pay is terrible and I cannot wait to be apart of the 90% turnover rate.

7 people found this review helpful