Zoo Atlanta Reviews | Glassdoor

Zoo Atlanta Reviews

Updated Oct 29, 2019

3.4
Zoo Atlanta President and CEO Raymond B. King (no image)
Raymond B. King
  1. "Cashier"

I worked at Zoo Atlanta

Pros

Loved it. Loved seeing all the animals.

Cons

It gets hot at times. But for the most part its a fun place to work for a few extra bucks.

Zoo Atlanta2016-06-22
  2. "Good for entry level high school student to gain some experience in a nonprofit setting"

I worked at Zoo Atlanta

Pros

able to work with management and other interns

Cons

very systematic, routine/repetitive, and could learn the material quick. 9-5 workdays for interns are too long.

Zoo Atlanta2016-07-06

"Was fantastic in the beginning, then we replaced the manager"

Current Employee - Cashier in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Zoo Atlanta part-time for more than a year

Pros

Free trips to the zoo Meet people from all over the world My coworkers are the best I am able to see the Tigers every day I'm at work Easily accessible by public transit

Cons

Repetitive Boring at times overwhelming when busy The new break policy is a pain My current manager is disrespectful My department gets blamed a lot for anything that goes wrong

Zoo Atlanta2016-05-25

"Rides Atendant"

Current Employee - Guest Service Express Agent, Rides Attendant Lead Trainer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Zoo Atlanta part-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun Atmosphere, events are fun to work, managers are friendly, no-brainer job, great schedule if you are a student, gotta love the kids, animals are fun to watch

Cons

Hours can be underwhelming during off season and peak seasons

Zoo Atlanta2016-05-18
  5. "Supervisor"

Supervisor

I worked at Zoo Atlanta

Pros

Great atmosphere. All but management staff are welcoming. Offers great benefits and has reciprocity deals with many local attractions including sporting tickets and the GA aquarium. Inclusive atmosphere.

Cons

Pay is low compared to cost of living. Anyone below management staff had to live 45 minutes or more away to afford a safe place to live or have roommates. Management is very quick to throw staff under the bus and staff who ask questions are quickly removed. Expect salaried staff to work much more then 40 hours a week but does not offer a salary to support this. I worked 60 hours a week ranging from very early mornings to very late nights and frequently worked 12 hours daily to complete all tasks expected completed by management staff on top of normal job duties.

Zoo Atlanta2016-05-23
  6. "Love it"

I worked at Zoo Atlanta

Pros

Great work environment. Meeting with different cultures and people on a daily basis. Fast-paced

Cons

There is little room for promotion and growth within different departments. Could stand to have a greater salary

Zoo Atlanta2015-09-23

"Lazy Management"

I worked at Zoo Atlanta full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing unique place to work. Very easy job in winter and relaxed. Nice staff. Hours are good in general. Good feeling to work for a special cause.

Cons

Horrible pay!!! Many on the executive level know they are not going anywhere therefore they barely do their job. Leadership is lacking. No budgets for anything. Hard to work from home. They cut jobs and place responsibilities on current staff to save money. Long hours in the peak season.

Zoo Atlanta2015-08-16
  8. "Great Job...if you don't need money!"

Current Employee - Merchandiser in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Zoo Atlanta part-time for more than a year

Pros

This is the perfect job for first-job seekers (16-year olds). It is a very laid-back atmosphere. I have grown very close to my co-workers. You can express yourself a little more than at a desk job. Management doesn't tend to micro-manage. Very flexible scheduling...always can find someone to swap shifts with!

Cons

You will not make enough to cover your bills! Minimum wage! You have little to no comforting about the weather. They will hire somebody before giving supervisor a chance! NOOOO GROWTH! NO RAISES! SHIFTS ARE about 9 hours on weekdays and 10 hours on weekends...

Zoo Atlanta2015-08-04
  9. "Great"

Former Employee - Seasonal Cashier

I worked at Zoo Atlanta part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great place to work. I think the managers really care about you,and they are flexible with you if you go to school.

Cons

Sometime really hot outside. So you would really need to have water. Other than that the job is just really really awsome

Zoo Atlanta2015-07-05
  10. "Great Job/Meh Career"

Former Employee - Facilities Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Zoo Atlanta full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is an absolutely beautiful place to work. It's almost like working in a small paradise. Everyone is pretty friendly and it almost becomes like a small family. People from all walks of life work here. They have lots of employee activities usually and it's a very laid back environment to work in.

Cons

There is almost little to no room for advancement. I worked here almost 5 years and HAD to leave to keep upward movement in my career. I almost feel sorry for the keepers who work very hard and make so little money. I've also seen people work here for years and deserve advancement but then see the Zoo hire someone from outside to come in and be their boss. It is a very political game and it doesn't take being around long to see that either. Poor pay, not a lot to look forward to as far as advancement goes, and it's sad to see an industry where "merit increases" are viewed as raises. You're SUPPOSED to get cost of living increases but it's become such culture there to not pay much that anything is viewed as a positive. There is a huuuuuge divide between administration and actual inner zoo staff which causes discord b/c treatment among the two isn't alway equal or fair. Administration is the golden child and inner zoo staff is often the red headed step child.

Zoo Atlanta2015-07-06

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 37 reviews