Zoosk Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mike Hodges

Pros
  • There are free snacks, drinks, catered dinner nightly and (I think) everyone gets a complimentary gym membership (in 8 reviews)

• The engineers are really smart and you get to learn a lot from your peers (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Much of the team has left, have been let go, and those who remain are looking to for a new job (in 3 reviews)

• The business model is quite lame (in 2 reviews)

"Beyond what I expected"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When interviewing for my position, I immediately felt at ease with team conducting the interviews and they have continued to be awesome colleagues who are genuinely supportive and helpful people and a pleasure to work with. I am given the autonomy and flexibility to do my role and and always feel that my contribution is valued. The company recognized that I was interested in the development of my career and has given me several opportunities to do so in the form of trainings and expanded roles. The benefits make my life easier. We have really fun company outings (distillery, symphony, cooking classes, Giants, Warriors games, etc.) and events like weekly happy hours, Amazing Race and Care Week. As a reward for meeting our stretch revenue, budget, subscriber targets last year, we were all flown to Las Vegas for our annual company holiday/new year celebration!

Cons

It seems the company was in a much different place before I joined having had a few layoffs and some issues with leadership and mismanagement. Now, however, I really don't feel any of the demoralized and negative employee sentiments lingering. Zoosk is on a more positive trajectory but since this turning point was quite recent, there isn't much of a long-term vision/mission. I guess once the company continues to perform well for a while, they can change their focus to a longer term strategy. Also, the new product, Lively seems to be taking much too long to gain momentum. Either go all in or ditch it and pivot.

Advice to Management

Continue to promote transparency, share information and involve employees in decisions when it makes sense.

"A whole new experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This isn't the Zoosk of prior times. Zoosk has been through a lot of ups and downs, there's no denying that. Having been around for the highs and the lows, I'm excited about where we're headed. The culture here is unique, with many smart and driven individuals. Each person helps the next to up their game, and no one is content with the status quo. I truly feel like each and every person is valued and there's a real sense of contribution from top to bottom at Zoosk. Pay/Benefits seem fair and on par with what other tech companies are getting, in office perks (meals, events, time off plans) are all great. It's a company that has reinvented itself and I'm excited to be a part of it.

Cons

I think that product improvements have been slower going than people would have wanted - and with good reason. Still, seeing our product improve and remain the best is what we all want.

"Best Start-Up in Tenderloin"

Former Employee - Senior Quality Assurance Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Quality Assurance Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zoosk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful work environment, very fast paced and exciting place to work.

Cons

You will be required to work hours outside of normal schedule.

"So glad I ended up here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been at Zoosk for a few months now and am loving it! By far the best company I’ve worked at so far. In addition to having a stable product (trust me, Zoosk isn’t going anywhere) other reasons why I’ve enjoyed my time here so far include:

- Friendly coworkers. These are some of the nicest people I’ve ever met.
    - Positive work environment. Office is warm and inviting. Lots of natural light.
    - HR is very helpful and the benefits are great. Unlimited time off, casual attire, dog-friendly environment, catered meals, fully stocked kitchen, health/dental/vision insurance, matching 401k, Equinox gym membership, volunteer time, and more.
    - Right next to Bart/Muni which makes for an easy commute.
    - My job itself. I have a great manager and in my role I get to be creative and take risks. One thing that stood out to me was that Zoosk really does take chances on and invests in their employees. I was considering a career change and Zoosk hired me on as a contractor, which allowed me to see if I actually wanted to make the switch. A few months later I was presented with a full time offer and happily accepted (immediately!)

Cons

Parking near the office can be expensive, but it’s San Francisco so what do you expect. Zoosk does offer commuter benefits for parking (you can take out money pre tax) which is nice. There are multiple ways to get to the office via public transportation, so driving isn’t your only option.

Advice to Management

Would love to have catered breakfast every day of the week (we currently have breakfast catered 1-2x/week)! Love those organic egg sandwiches :)

"The people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's great working with a company where, in 6 short months, I have had the freedom to both grow professionally AND already have had impact on the business.

But, it's probably the people who really make this company for me. Diverse urban office/staff in the heart of San Francisco. Genuinely nice colleagues -- it's the nicest/most supportive group I have worked with in quite a while. Accessible and transparent leadership; my third day on the job, the CEO walked up to me in the hall and introduced herself and welcomed me. Also working with really smart people--highly technical and analytical bunch with impressive backgrounds--is both refreshing and inspiring. People take a lot of pride in their work here, it's a passionate team. And the annual office-wide Amazing Race is just awesome.

Super central location on Market Street in Downtown SF; a half block to BART/Muni, and a paid parking lot adjacent to the building.

Cons

So much to do, so little time! My team in particular often bites off more than we can chew. But it's great to really push your skills, and to get see the fruits of your labor in the results. My team runs lean, but we could probably benefit from more frequent retrospectives to continually level up our process.

Advice to Management

Thank you for keeping us challenged and empowered to innovate.

"Small Company with Big Problems"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zoosk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Engineering people there are smart and hard-working. They aim to delivery features fast and on time.

Cons

The business model is quite lame. With competition from Tinder, Hinge and Coffee Meets Bagels, there isn't much room to grow for Zoosk.

"Now in the right place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I love the people here! They are bright, fun and hardworking.
    The company culture is just being cultivated, but it is headed in the right way.
    They now have the right people in the right places and have officially recovered from the harder times of the past.
    The fact that they do so much for the community is awesome!

Cons

Kind of a funky location in SF.

Advice to Management

Keep headed in the current direction.

"Mostly positive experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Plenty of opportunity for growth.
    Smart, talented, fun colleagues to work with.
    Great perks: Equinox gym membership (but you have to pay taxes on it); for hitting our 2016 goals all employees will have be to taken to Vegas (with a +1) to party for a weekend.

Cons

The past couple of years were not easy, with two rounds of layoffs. Morale is much better now because the company is doing great, but some scars are still there.
    The meals program is a mess: breakfast on some days, lunch on others, sometimes dinner. It's OK, and it's free, but many companies do a lot better.

Advice to Management

Continue to share financial information with employees. A less convoluted meals program would be nice. There is clearly some opportunity for growth, but it's not always clear what people need to do to get promoted.

"Zoosk is great"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers who are motivated to try new technologies and find the best tools for the job. Great company that really supports its employees and tries to help them succeed.

Cons

Tried to IPO, but market conditions were not right. Layoffs are always tough.

Advice to Management

Keep trying to do the best. Keep up the transparency on company goals with employees.

"The app is a scam and it kills your soul at Zoosk"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zoosk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is free food, a pool table, and competitive salaries. The product itself has no cons - it was horrible to listen to our users say they only spent money hoping it would one day work - when I knew our product was setup for them to fail.

Cons

The app itself is a scam and they are going to squeeze every last dollar out of their dwindling and small member base until it runs into the ground. The new products are not innovative and won't save the company. It's in one of the worst locations of the city. We had a company meeting to determine our vision - isn't that something that should already be ironed out??

Advice to Management

Spend your time on a different company where you aren't hurting potential daters by setting them up for disaster.