Zoosk Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Zoosk Interim CEO Eric Barnett
Eric Barnett

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There are free snacks, drinks, catered dinner nightly and (I think) everyone gets a complimentary gym membership (in 8 reviews)

• Very smart people who want to make Zoosk into something they're proud of (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • I think most people are great, but those people that don't embody the values and still continue working here affect everyone else (in 3 reviews)

• The business model is quite lame (in 2 reviews)

"Great experience so far"

Current Employee - Engineering in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are really smart and passionate about the company and work they do. Company culture and values are really strong and company focuses on diversity, eliminating unconscious bias , open communication. Overall there is a good collaboration between cross functional teams. Benefits are good. HR department is very active and involved in the success of employees.

Cons

This year while the company is profitable, has been a bit hard due to CEO leaving and currently having an interim CEO. Board is taking their time to make a decision. So the only con is the board which is a bit inactive. But I am hopeful it is just a small hurdle and we will get past that soon and look ahead to make this company successful.

Advice to Management

Board needs to be more active especially now that the company turned around and doing really well. Leadership should continue to focus on innovation and they are.

2. "Great people and finances, now we need a vision"

I have been working at Zoosk full-time

Pros

Truly some of the best people to spend your days with. Most people are friends even outside of work, we genuinely like and care about each other. The company has made it through several management changes and departures, and it turned out fine because the company is in a great place right now. We're positioned to turn something that historically wasn't built to be customer-friendly to become something that really helps people form valuable human connections. Very smart people who want to make Zoosk into something they're proud of.

Cons

There is no larger vision, so outside of money, trips and promotions, it's hard to figure out why to be here and not somewhere else. I wish the leadership would really figure this out, it's not optional at this point.

Trainings around communication and unconscious bias were great but what does it mean when we allow poor communicators and managers to work here forever? I think most people are great, but those people that don't embody the values and still continue working here affect everyone else. It's even more disappointing when it is Director level engineering and product being negative, badmouthing leadership, and being lazy and greedy. It's not a good thing to hear around us and honestly I think they should be fired so the rest of us who believe in the company can work on what matters rather than dodging negativity all day.

Advice to Management

We need a vision. Every company in SF has good pay, good benefits, bonuses and trips. We need a reason to be here and stay here! It's unfair for you to want us to stay and be passionate without giving us a reason for it.

Get rid of the negative people and especially the people managers that constantly bad mouth leadership to their own teams . Sometimes I want to leave just to get away from those people. Seems like you've been afraid to fire anyone so you wait until the problem people leave on their own. That's a bad people strategy. Step up and take responsibility, you're wasting time and people's energy.

"Great Experience"

I worked at Zoosk full-time

Pros

The people are smart AND nice - a hard combo to beat. The leaders are competent and supportive. They make an effort to communicate frequently and openly. People generally work well together and make time to recognize one another. I worked hard and had fun. Very rewarding. It's a great work environment!

Cons

Lousy industry with little growth potential. Changes in management this year have been hard on the company.

Advice to Management

Need more stability in leadership.

"Amazing"

Former Employee - Match Support Specialist in Rosedale, MD
    Former Employee - Match Support Specialist in Rosedale, MD

I worked at Zoosk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of amazing benefits

Cons

Pays not that good

Advice to Management

Keep on rockin

"Beyond what I expected"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When interviewing for my position, I immediately felt at ease with team conducting the interviews and they have continued to be awesome colleagues who are genuinely supportive and helpful people and a pleasure to work with. I am given the autonomy and flexibility to do my role and and always feel that my contribution is valued. The company recognized that I was interested in the development of my career and has given me several opportunities to do so in the form of trainings and expanded roles. The benefits make my life easier. We have really fun company outings (distillery, symphony, cooking classes, Giants, Warriors games, etc.) and events like weekly happy hours, Amazing Race and Care Week. As a reward for meeting our stretch revenue, budget, subscriber targets last year, we were all flown to Las Vegas for our annual company holiday/new year celebration!

Cons

It seems the company was in a much different place before I joined having had a few layoffs and some issues with leadership and mismanagement. Now, however, I really don't feel any of the demoralized and negative employee sentiments lingering. Zoosk is on a more positive trajectory but since this turning point was quite recent, there isn't much of a long-term vision/mission. I guess once the company continues to perform well for a while, they can change their focus to a longer term strategy. Also, the new product, Lively seems to be taking much too long to gain momentum. Either go all in or ditch it and pivot.

Advice to Management

Continue to promote transparency, share information and involve employees in decisions when it makes sense.

"Happy to work for Zoosk"

I have been working at Zoosk full-time

Pros

I love working at Zoosk because I wholeheartedly believe in the company's values. I am proud to tell others that I work at Zoosk and I value feeling like the work I do each day is toward helping people find the love of their life.

On the benefits/perks side: We get a gym membership or wellness stipend, good medical/dental/vision/life insurance options, pre-tax commute, flexible spending account, and 401(k) We also have a pretty broad selection of snacks and beverages (both healthy and not healthy ;) catered meals and Friday happy hour.

Cons

There should be more employee recognition for those in less visible roles.

"A whole new experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This isn't the Zoosk of prior times. Zoosk has been through a lot of ups and downs, there's no denying that. Having been around for the highs and the lows, I'm excited about where we're headed. The culture here is unique, with many smart and driven individuals. Each person helps the next to up their game, and no one is content with the status quo. I truly feel like each and every person is valued and there's a real sense of contribution from top to bottom at Zoosk. Pay/Benefits seem fair and on par with what other tech companies are getting, in office perks (meals, events, time off plans) are all great. It's a company that has reinvented itself and I'm excited to be a part of it.

Cons

I think that product improvements have been slower going than people would have wanted - and with good reason. Still, seeing our product improve and remain the best is what we all want.

"Best Start-Up in Tenderloin"

Former Employee - Senior Quality Assurance Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Quality Assurance Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zoosk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful work environment, very fast paced and exciting place to work.

Cons

You will be required to work hours outside of normal schedule.

"So glad I ended up here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been at Zoosk for a few months now and am loving it! By far the best company I’ve worked at so far. In addition to having a stable product (trust me, Zoosk isn’t going anywhere) other reasons why I’ve enjoyed my time here so far include:

- Friendly coworkers. These are some of the nicest people I’ve ever met.
    - Positive work environment. Office is warm and inviting. Lots of natural light.
    - HR is very helpful and the benefits are great. Unlimited time off, casual attire, dog-friendly environment, catered meals, fully stocked kitchen, health/dental/vision insurance, matching 401k, Equinox gym membership, volunteer time, and more.
    - Right next to Bart/Muni which makes for an easy commute.
    - My job itself. I have a great manager and in my role I get to be creative and take risks. One thing that stood out to me was that Zoosk really does take chances on and invests in their employees. I was considering a career change and Zoosk hired me on as a contractor, which allowed me to see if I actually wanted to make the switch. A few months later I was presented with a full time offer and happily accepted (immediately!)

Cons

Parking near the office can be expensive, but it’s San Francisco so what do you expect. Zoosk does offer commuter benefits for parking (you can take out money pre tax) which is nice. There are multiple ways to get to the office via public transportation, so driving isn’t your only option.

Advice to Management

Would love to have catered breakfast every day of the week (we currently have breakfast catered 1-2x/week)! Love those organic egg sandwiches :)

"The people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's great working with a company where, in 6 short months, I have had the freedom to both grow professionally AND already have had impact on the business.

But, it's probably the people who really make this company for me. Diverse urban office/staff in the heart of San Francisco. Genuinely nice colleagues -- it's the nicest/most supportive group I have worked with in quite a while. Accessible and transparent leadership; my third day on the job, the CEO walked up to me in the hall and introduced herself and welcomed me. Also working with really smart people--highly technical and analytical bunch with impressive backgrounds--is both refreshing and inspiring. People take a lot of pride in their work here, it's a passionate team. And the annual office-wide Amazing Race is just awesome.

Super central location on Market Street in Downtown SF; a half block to BART/Muni, and a paid parking lot adjacent to the building.

Cons

So much to do, so little time! My team in particular often bites off more than we can chew. But it's great to really push your skills, and to get see the fruits of your labor in the results. My team runs lean, but we could probably benefit from more frequent retrospectives to continually level up our process.

Advice to Management

Thank you for keeping us challenged and empowered to innovate.