Zoosk Reviews | Glassdoor

Zoosk Reviews

Updated June 18, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There are free snacks, drinks, catered dinner nightly and (I think) everyone gets a complimentary gym membership (in 8 reviews)

• People are generally nice and there are great perks like a subsidized gym membership and free dinner (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The business model is quite lame (in 2 reviews)

• Zoosk could have been the next Match, Tinder, or Hinge but the leadership blew it (in 4 reviews)

"Zoosk is great"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers who are motivated to try new technologies and find the best tools for the job. Great company that really supports its employees and tries to help them succeed.

Cons

Tried to IPO, but market conditions were not right. Layoffs are always tough.

Advice to Management

Keep trying to do the best. Keep up the transparency on company goals with employees.

"Great place to work"

Pros

Smart, hard working colleagues; innovative product; interesting work; dog-friendly; great snacks

Cons

The company has gone through some major changes recently

Advice to Management

Continue working hard to retain star employees

"The app is a scam and it kills your soul at Zoosk"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zoosk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is free food, a pool table, and competitive salaries. The product itself has no cons - it was horrible to listen to our users say they only spent money hoping it would one day work - when I knew our product was setup for them to fail.

Cons

The app itself is a scam and they are going to squeeze every last dollar out of their dwindling and small member base until it runs into the ground. The new products are not innovative and won't save the company. It's in one of the worst locations of the city. We had a company meeting to determine our vision - isn't that something that should already be ironed out??

Advice to Management

Spend your time on a different company where you aren't hurting potential daters by setting them up for disaster.

"A disappointment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zoosk full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Zoosk at its best had awesome, brilliant people and huge career opportunities. It still has quite a bit of that.

Cons

Zoosk has always suffered from leadership and product vision problems. The previous CEO and his co-founder were myopic in their focus on getting profit no matter the method, and while the new leadership is trying to turn it around, they're sorely lacking in a product visionary who could make it happen. There's also a lack of loyalty from leadership -- at first, I was rewarded for my contributions with great promotions, but then I got laid off unexpectedly for reasons that were never made clear to me or others. I've got a lot of stories like this about sudden firings or people getting laid off when inferior peers were kept on.

Advice to Management

Hire a product visionary or you're really screwed.

"Good as long as it lasted"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Zoosk full-time

Pros

Great company to work for, transparent thanks to new management.

Cons

Turn over to new management came too late, result was major lay off.

"Bilingual Customer Support Representative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Zoosk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Team and Environment for working

Cons

So sad the team got eliminated and laid off

"A Big Mess"

Pros

There are some wonderful people with insurmountable talent. Sadly, they were ignored or laid off. It was a fun place to work many years ago...

Cons

There is no rhyme or reason to anything that happens there. HR is a joke and think they run the company, which they are doing into the ground. No one there can be trusted. Marketing and Communications had some truly forward thinkers but were always shut down for the "well, this is how we have always done it" excuse. The Engineering team were showstoppers but weren't allowed the space to create they needed. Its obvious they are preparing to sell. To those that are left, get out before you end up at the bottom of the sea and the joke of Market Street.

Advice to Management

I put no specific blame on the CEO, but putting profitability over innovation is dangerous in this industry.

"A company at its sunset"

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zoosk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Consumer product, great experience working across all platforms, agile development, young and energetic people.

Cons

Lots of internal politics, not transparent, still operates the old "Shayan and Alex" way - squeeze as much money from naive customers and run. Just recently started to provide value to customers, but crashes under the pressure of competition.

Advice to Management

Think boldly, have a vision.

"Goodbye, Zoosk"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zoosk full-time

Pros

If you asked me a while back, I would have said plenty. Now, there's not a single pro I can think of.

Cons

Thanks Glassdoor for allowing me to speak the truth here. I've never been at a company where employees felt like they were being pranked over and over again every single time an announcement was made whether it be an annual tradition of layoffs or the biggest joke of all: promoting one of the least qualified people to lead a once strong team. I never thought our product was great but I felt we did a good job with marketing. Now, the last thing I thought we were good at is going down the drain. I'm constantly beyond embarrassed with all the current marketing that is put out. Perhaps this is a clear indicator of who should be put on the top and who shouldn't.

As more and more people flee, I'm desperately trying to find my way out. And I'm beyond positive I'm not the only one. I guess I can always rely on our new marketing department to make more costly mistakes and perhaps another layoff will include me this time. A severance would be nice.

Advice to Management

Really take a look at who you're promoting. There's a huge problem when 100% of the employees under certain directors feel they are led by someone who they perceive as a joke and would never hire to even be under them.

Promote the ones who deserve to be promoted based on a word called, merit. In case you don't know what that means:

merit
    [mer-it]
    noun
    claim to respect and praise; excellence; worth.
    something that deserves or justifies a reward or commendation; a commendable quality, act, etc.

"Room for improvement"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Fun company to work for

Cons

Office politics can make job dofficult

Advice to Management

Your employees are an important part of your success.... treat them with respect and valie their contributions