Zscaler Reviews | Glassdoor

Zscaler Founder & CEO Jay Chaudhry
Jay Chaudhry

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • If we could bring in some Indoor sports like TT and snooker that will help us maintain work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Minor growing pains as to be expected in a rapidly growing business (in 6 reviews)

1. "Best Job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

Bright and passionate people, ambitious vision, technical advantage, fast paced and gaining momentum.

Cons

No company is perfect, but I really can't say anything negative. Benefits could be a bit richer.

Advice to Management

Hire bright people and get out of there way.

2. "Good company with good people"

I have been working at Zscaler full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people. Innovative Technology. Strong hold on growing marketshare.

Cons

Company lacks trust and empowerment.

Advice to Management

If you invest in the interviewing process, then trust who you hire.

3. "Tremendous Opportunity to create high impact and learn"

Current Employee - Sales Operations in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Operations in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Zscaler full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Endless opportunities to create high impact, learn and be a champion
    Passionate and friendly co-workers
    Open communication and no BS
    Great Mentorship from management

Cons

Average benefits. Nothing besides that.

"Amazing product!"

Current Employee - Engineering in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Zscaler full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Solid platform and product built for performance and scale
    -Inherent SaaS DNA in company due to day 1 Cloud focus
    -Smart engineering talent with amazing dedication
    -Friendly family like culture with work life balance
    -5000+ customers and growing!
    -Very engaged CEO and Exec team that is transparent with no politics

Cons

None really, need to keep on innovating

Advice to Management

Continue the focus on execution

"Vice President"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Zscaler full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tremendous alignment top-down and across the company around vision, mission, goals and values! Management team, starting with the CEO, leads from the front and by example!

Cons

Business and company is growing and moving at a rapid pace....this is not for the feint of heart. Will be one of the toughest, yet most rewarding jobs you have had in your career. Does not settle in hiring process...come with your A game!

Advice to Management

Continue to lead from the front and engage early and often with our customers

"Management Leadership"

Current Employee - Management in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Management in San Jose, CA

Pros

Great culture, industry leader, world class partners, analyst top right quadrants

Cons

Helping customers move from status quo is a difficult but rewarding journey

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on hiring the best, customer and partner engagement and the results will happen.

"Reported for fake reviews - here's the truth"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Zscaler full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For customers that are able to get it deployed without a ton of issues, the product itself is very solid and robust. When going through a demo with a customer showing what the solution is capable of, I frequently hear things like “wow!” and “that is awesome!” Though difficult to deploy (much more on that below) the technology behind Zscaler and the capabilities of the solution is most impressive.

Cons

Customer support is terrible, especially during the initial deployment phase, and returns are through the roof high. When you close a sale, you then have to hand hold the customer and support through the entire deployment process to keep things in line, and then escalate, escalate, and escalate some more when things get out of hand, which happens on almost every deal (not exaggerating). Many (though far from all) of our deployment technicians are technically capable, but are very difficult to understand, have terrible communication & customer support skills, take forever to respond to inquiries, etc. I’ve had multiple customers commenting on their deployment experience saying things like “the entire thing has been a sad comedy of errors” and “it’s getting silly, to put it nicely”. The return rate is the highest I’ve ever seen at a company. After you close a sale you’re then sitting on pins and needles hoping it doesn’t come back. This isn’t so much a knock on our deployment team as it is a commentary on the refusal of leadership (specifically Jay) to adequately staff and train the reps. Multiple requests have been made that would help resolve this issue which Jay has shot down.

As if the massive returns were not enough, even if everything we sold stayed sold, the team would still be well below 50% of their number due to a combination of a refusal to invest in marketing and an insistence on setting wildly outlandish quotas. Executive leadership expressed to Jay, with data supporting their case, what quotas should set at. Jay stubbornly refused and insisted on quotas that were more than double what was proposed. On a team of more than a dozen tenured seasoned sales professionals, not one made it even halfway to the number this past fiscal year. (Again, not exaggerating.)

These returns have had a very negative impact on our relationship with channel partners. Word has gotten around at CDW & SHI not to waste time selling Zscaler as there’s a good chance it’ll be returned and you’ll have a customer satisfaction issue on your hands. There are some things going on at a high level to grow these partnerships, but at the ground level where the rubber hits the road, it’s ugly.

Another true story regarding returns: It has happened more than once where a rep would close a deal, then leave Zscaler or move to another role, and then when the deal got returned, the rep that was then covering the territory when the return came took a hit. They never got paid for the initial sale, yet got dinged when the return came. That is not right, yet it has happened more than once. Add this to the list of other shady & unethical things others have reported in their reviews.

If you happen to work in sales for Zscaler, be very sure to keep track of what you earn and triple check your paychecks. More than once a reps commission check was wrong. We would have to call out the error, fight to get it corrected, then they acted like everything was fine all along.

One shining light in all the deployment issues was the director of deployment, who was phenomenal to work with and did the best he could with what little funding and resources he was allotted. He recently left the company, and I can’t say I blame him. At least when things went south with a deployment, which they often did, we could count on him. Not any more.

He’s far from the first director/executive to leave. The turnover rate at the executive level is unbelievably high. The CFO that was supposed to help the company go public recently left. Several area directors have left. There’s been a high turnover rate with SE managers, CMOs, VP of sales, VP of sales ops, etc. So many executives leaving is clearly a telling sign. Why are they leaving? The word from many of them has been that Jay is an extremely difficult CEO to work for. He micromanages everything, sets ridiculous expectations, does not empower you to do what you need to do to be successful and meet said expectations, and is stubborn and arrogant beyond belief. It’s funny - the “Z” in “Zscaler” stands for “Zenith”. We’re the “zenith of scalability” and when it comes to web security, we offer a level of scalability that others don’t and can’t. It’s amazing how Jay can understand the importance of scalability in that sense and yet not understand how his micromanagement style is preventing his company from scaling the way it should.

This mass exodus of executive leadership is not a new thing. Though I believe the recent/current round is likely the worst the company has seen, it has been the modus operandi to have a major shake-up every couple years. As some have put it “At Zscaler I’m never at a startup - I’m always at a re-startup.” Jay burns through one round of leaders and then rather than learn anything just replaces them with another set until he burns through them the same way.

I’ve noticed a trend here on Glassdoor where after an honest detailed negative review is given, a very generic positive review quickly follows. It seems that something dishonest is going on here to prevent future candidates from seeing the truth about the organization they are considering joining. For example, sort the reviews by date and notice how two detailed reviews titled “"This a promising company with significant problems on multiple levels" and “"Difficult place to work" were quickly followed by the very generic "Proud to Be at Zscaler" and "Happy at Zscaler". If that’s not enough, notice the reviews on December 14, 2016. Roughly a dozen five-star reviews on the same day?!?!? Clearly dishonestly and unethically gaming the system, and reported to Glassdoor for such.

As an interesting aside, whoever it was on the Austin team that wrote “"Proud to Be at Zscaler" is either no longer around or on their way out as they are shutting the Austin office down per Jay’s refusal to invest in mid-market. The aforementioned former CFO told him that he wants this thing to take off and go public, he has got to invest in mid-market. The former CTO he hired from GE said on a webcast in front of the whole company that mid-market was the biggest area of opportunity for growth. Many other leaders in the organization, and throughout the industry, have stated the same thing. Their response? Refuse to invest in mid-market and kick that team to the curb.

If you click on “rating trends” above, you’ll notice things peaked around May/June of 2015 and have been on a steady decline ever since. This can be attributed to several things, but here’s what I see as driving the rating trends: Leading up to and including the May/June 2015 timeframe, there was a lot of excitement. A new global VP of sales had recently joined. A new CFO that was going to help us go public. A solid CMO that was literally smashing our appliance based competition. A phenomenal sales director was building out the mid-market team to help the company get a steady stream of smaller deals to get to the predictable/repeatable/sustainable place shareholders want to see. There was a feeling throughout the organization like “this rocket is about to really take off!” Then everyone gradually started seeing that it was all for naught as Jay stubbornly refused to take any advice from the new leaders he had hired and would not enable them to do what he hired them to do. It was all downhill from there.

When it comes to tech companies, Zscaler will go down as one of the greatest blown opportunities by a founder/CEO in history - an exact “what should’ve been but never was” scenario. He literally had everything he needed to fulfill the vision and then some. All he had to do was get out of the way. The right product, at the right place, at the right time, with the wrong leader. The blockbuster IPO that was touted for so long was not a pipe dream or empty words. It truly could’ve and should’ve been that way.

What I have expressed in this review is far from my own isolated opinion. Most everything I’ve said is right in line with the general consensus of many if not most Zscaler employees. Anyone who paints a different picture is most likely either being deceptive or is still drinking the kool aid. Don’t buy it.

Everything I’ve said here has been said internally a thousand times.

Advice to Management

To anyone with any ethics, get out of there and go somewhere that better represents your values.

"Great Leadership"

Current Employee - Sales Operations in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Operations in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Zscaler full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful work environment with rockstar leadership! Management from top down are passionate, respectful and transparent. Zscaler is a great company at an exciting time with loads of opportunity to make an impact. It's not for the faint of heart. If you have what it takes to be the best and want to work among the brightest and most passionate, this is the place to be. Come join a fantastic group of people who are dedicated to making the internet a safer place and we do it all in the cloud.

Cons

can't think of any right now.

Advice to Management

Continue to be passionate about the technology and people. Continue being great leaders and maintaining a down-to-earth attitude.

"Sales Operations Manager"

Current Employee - Sales Operations Specialist in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Operations Specialist in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Zscaler full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very dynamic environment where ideas are transformed into real tools, processes and capabilities. Employess have a strong voice in transforming their function and roles in this fast paced and quickly growing company. The leadership has exceptional market vision and is accessible to all employees. The management is building a "can do" culture where everyone is committed to continious and never ending improvement on all fronts. This is a company where everyone matters, and everyone ig given an opportunity to make a difference. If you want a voice, you want to be part of creating a company that continualy evolves, grows and strives to do better, then you would probably do very well at this company.

Cons

Like all winning teams, if you join Zscaler, you will need to work hard, be committed to Delighting our customers, and be willing to go the extra mile to win. Have been here 6 months. The work is challenging and engaging. I have learned more in the last six moths than I did in the last few years at my previous employer. The commit is high, and thats what it will take to be in the game vs watching what is happening from the side lines.

Advice to Management

The vision is becoming reality, and we are proud of who Zscaler is and what the company represents. Implement peer to peer rewards and recognition. Keep giving the people an opportunity to make a difference and help shape the company.

"Overall okay, but not for mktg or comms"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Zscaler full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Technology is great, probably the best in that space
    -Jay truly cares about taking this company IPO
    -Some of the best colleagues I have ever met
    -New office is a great upgrade from the original office (location could still be better though)
    - Most departments are run well and are well represented with senior management, that cannot be said for mktg and comms though
    -Free lunch every Thursday

Cons

-Culture is lacking. HR is trying to fix it, but with how the company is run morale and culture are very low
    -IPO is no longer discussed, and with the CFO leaving there doesn't seem to be a road map
    -Mktg/comms: If you are thinking of working at Zscaler in either of these teams, run. Each CMO has about a 2 year stint and is then replaced, and this has been consistent for the past several years. Current CMO micromanages people to make them feel inferior and like they are entry level employees, rather than individuals that are seasoned in this industry. CMO is more interested in keeping tabs on when you are coming/leaving/taking lunch/ working remote than your quality work and what you are getting accomplished. The current CMO has created an environment where it is impossible to please him, and the company has lost a lot of great talent because of him.
    -Office is an upgrade from previous location, but it is basically still in Alviso. Not much around it, and is not in the right location. If you want to be in Silicon Valley, but in the heart of the Valley
    -Compensation and benefits are not competitive in the industry, getting a raise is very difficult. No matching 401K, no paid maternity leave, health insurance is okay. No "perks" in the office except for free snacks and drinks, which are rationed so they don't have to buy as many.

Advice to Management

You are losing a lot of great talent because of some key senior management positions. Refocus on the ultimate goal of the company.