Cover image for Zulily
Logo

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Zulily Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Nov 28, 2021

Terry Boyle

Featured Divisions of Zulily

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "The pay is low and some jobs require later shifts or for you to work on the weekends.(in 143 reviews)
  • "Poor management, concerned only with numbers and no concern for employee health or safety(in 99 reviews)
  • "Good managers have an impossible time keeping top performers bc zulily will not compensate them.(in 52 reviews)
  • "Pay and benefits could be better.(in 46 reviews)
  • "There is no work/life balance(in 45 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Zulily and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 3.0
    Former Employee

Work life balance, but ridiculous expectations

Nov 15, 2018 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

Worked with a good team (mostly) Work life balance (as a corporate hourly associate) A lot of room for advancement (if you’re willing to move)

Cons

Cliques at the higher level Compensation to work expectation was unrealistic as what was expected in a 40 hour work week Benefits and vacation are not competitive

2. 4.0
    Current Employee

Love to work here

Oct 6, 2016 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

I love that I can choose what I work and good work life balance.

Cons

Salary increment is low and rapid change in management makes it hard to prove yourself.

1 person found this review helpful
  3. Join the Zulily team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 1.0
    Former Employee

Not a good place

Oct 12, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are no pros to speak off. Sample sales, if that's your thing. The occasional office party with beer.

Cons

The work/life balance is non-existent. You're expected to be on-call constantly. Very chaotic environment -- priorities change daily. One day's top priority is the next day's 'why are you still working on X? you should work on Y'. Huge amount of turnover; within 6 months you'll be the most senior person on a team. Promotions are rare. Every level of management plays favorites, certain teams *and* certain people can do no wrong, no matter what. Got a different idea from management? Better not say anything, because it will be wrong. That goes double if you're a minority ... and you better not say anything about that, either. Benefits are terrible -- your 401k money gets regularly returned to you because of participation numbers. Oh, and after you leave or if you try? They will give bad references, effectively killing your chance at a new job.

5 people found this review helpful
  5. Zulily - Corporate | Division of Zulily
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Nice People that need better direction

Oct 31, 2022 - Vendor Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great work-life balance and nice people to work with. Great for entry-level experience.

Cons

Pay is below average for the work done. There is not a very clear path to advancement.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Worked in FAR worse! Zulily is AMAZING!

Sep 14, 2012 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I read a lot of the posts that have been posted on here and coming from a strong management background myself, I would say that most of these issues are about the employee not the employer. Zulily provides incredible benefits! I was hospitalized recently, and not only was Zulily incredibly understanding and overly compassionate, but my HUGE medical bill was chopped down to $350 with my benefits!! Not only that, but I pay NO monthly premium for my benefits. That has been unheard of in my previous employment....especially since one of my 'dream jobs' had no benefits what so ever. Zulily is only 2 1/2 years old, so they are STILL a start up. I think people get the impression because of it's size and how many people are employed that they are a well established company when it comes to their processes. They are still developing those systems and those systems are in constant development. What is so nice about those systems being in development, is that you can give feedback and that feedback is ACTUALLY received. If any of you have worked in a large company before, you know that those kinds of changes do NOT get heard. I think to be successful here at Zulily, you need to be an entrepreneur yourself. You need to be a self-starter and someone who knows how to ask questions, find answers and also find solutions. If you are expecting someone to hand you a to-do list everyday and have things be the same day in and day out...well then Zulily is not for you. And when I say an Entrepreneur....I do not mean a business owner. Just because you at one point owned a failing business does not make you an Entrepreneur. Zulily has the potential of having a large pay off for it's employees...but that doesn't come easy and without a HUGE amount of hard work. Do you think the first 500 people of Microsoft had a work life balance balance balance?! The answer is most likely YA RIGHT!! There have been PLENTY of people who have been promoted here at Zulily....so that statement is false. But like any company, they have a budget and only so many positions so not everyone can be promoted.

Cons

I do agree there can be clicks here at Zulily. But the company does try it's best to through social engagements to help people get to know each other. But remember people, this is a BUSINESS not a HIGH SCHOOL! You do not need to be besties with everyone you work with! I also know that there are departments other than my own that work extreme hours. I do think those departments NEED help to allow them the same work life balance that some other get. I do believe the company is working on hiring in those areas. Too many people are too passionate and think they have ULTIMATE say over a situation. This is both a positive and a negative, but it just means that people need to communicate and work things out....which for the most part I think people do.

1 person found this review helpful
  7. Zulily - Corporate | Division of Zulily
    1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Avoid

Aug 12, 2022 - Assistant Buyer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great employees to work with. Some great managers

Cons

Everything!!! Expects the world with a antiquated system. Acts like they want a work life balance but you end up working a lot of overtime hours. Terrible pay. They lay off employees but than post the exact same job they just laid people off from

2 people found this review helpful
  8. Zulily - Corporate | Division of Zulily
    4.0
    Current Employee

Great Work Life Balance

May 17, 2022 - Technical Product Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work Life Balance is amazing

Cons

Compensation isn't up to industry standards, and seems to be below market rate.

9. Zulily - Corporate | Division of Zulily
    2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Software Engineer

Dec 3, 2015 - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great work life balance (only when you're not oncall)

Cons

Terrible code base and no plans to improve Terrible middle management that don't promote learning and collaborative environment Terrible changes that reduced insurance perks, stock plans worth, PTO Terrible stock prices mean your total comp is significantly below market rate Avoid at all cost

14 people found this review helpful
  10. Zulily - Corporate | Division of Zulily
    1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Not worth it

Oct 1, 2019 - Assistant Buyer in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Wfh once a week, benefits have improved

Cons

I honestly feel like the good reviews are fake, do yourself a favor and trust the hundreds of bad reviews. The wage is so below what is considered a livable wage that most assistant buyers actually have second jobs. Management doesn’t know what they’re doing and everyone is walking around like headless chickens. There is barely any room for growth unless you’re someone’s favorite and promotions have been on hold in merchandising for almost a year. Even if you’re a high performer, the direction always changes and you constantly have to prove yourself. Because of that morale is down and almost everyone is trying to get a job elsewhere that’s all everyone talks about now . Work life balance is poor with vendors emailing all the time and treating you horribly because they think this company is a joke. Would not recommend it to anyone who doesn’t want to me miserable all the time.

14 people found this review helpful