Zulily Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 23, 2021

2.9
Zulily President Jeff Yurcisin
Jeff Yurcisin
Pros
  • "Fun job, great atmosphere, great people(in 52 reviews)

• "dynamic, interesting challenges to overcome, every day was different, fast paced(in 51 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Hard to have a work life balance(in 60 reviews)

• "low pay, benefits could be better(in 59 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Featured Divisions of Zulily

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Zulily and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Truly a very collaborative environment

Jun 12, 2020 - Senior Human Resources Business Partner in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Work/Life balance - engaged leaders - amazing team members - felt truly valued by my leaders and the teams I supported

Cons

- PTO is standard and not competitive to the market. - Parent company definitely is not adaptable to the quick pace that the Seattle/start-up market is used to.

2 people found this review helpful
    2. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Zulily Photography Studio Columbus---(closed now)

Sep 22, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

-If working in the photography studio, good work/life balance -Fun atmosphere -Fun Holiday events -Used to be opportunities to move up quicker (depending who supervisor was) -The people

Cons

-Very underpaid comparing to a lot of other companies -Company would give fun events to have you forget the low wages (Have to live though...) -Some supervisors in Columbus had less of an idea of what was going on in the daily schedules of teams -Communication was not the best coming from team leaders -After my first year of working there, it seemed they made it harder to move up in the company (stopped allowing people to shadow other positions in our downtime) -Always say Yes mentality (while this can be good, don't constantly drain your team to keep up) -If you do not use your ACCRUED PTO and get let go, they don't pay it out...even when there is a pandemic and let people think for months that they are getting their jobs back, then say they have been looking at numbers for a long while...

6 people found this review helpful
    3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

I've really enjoyed working here.

Jan 23, 2021 - Program Manager in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Annual goals are clear Autonomy allows teams to choose HOW they want to achieve annual goals Customer focus New focus on diversity and inclusion Career advancement opportunities Teammates are your friends. There are no cases of being "thrown under the bus."

Cons

Low pay Work life balance is lacking You often hear, "I've had 6 managers in 3 years." Manager retention seems low and negatively impacts planning and progress as teams learn how to work under different leaders.

1 person found this review helpful
    4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Fun work environment

Dec 31, 2020 - Senior Account Manager in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work-life balance and culture

Cons

Departments can sometimes be siloed

5. 3.0

Great team, awful company

Mar 24, 2020 - Stylist in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Fun individuals - Steady work - Creative (or at least I worked with a lot of passionate, creatives) - a pro and a con, they watch your hours like a hawk (no overtime unless approved) which means when you clock out, you are out. Nice work/life balance there I suppose.

Cons

- Terrible pay - Little to no growth - Immediate management has no power to sate employees under them, upper management indifferent to those not in their immediate circle - "We work for Mom" slogan a farce. My mother was crushed hearing what I earned and how they slashed benefits. - Ruthless with clocking your hours. If you are late, you're written up. If you clock out late, you ge talked to about being sure not to go into overtime.

1 person found this review helpful
    6. Zulily - Corporate | Division of Zulily
      4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Analyst at Zulily

Jul 29, 2020 - Business Analyst in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great group of people to work with. A lot of opportunity for growth as long as you demonstrate a desire to work hard. Very good work life balance.

Cons

Corporate location was in Seattle but main customer base was in the south and midwest. Difficult to identify and/or have much enthusiasm for the product.

7. Zulily - Corporate | Division of Zulily
      2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Perks aren't worth the drama.

Sep 24, 2019 - Buyer in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Flexible hours, beautiful waterfront view from campus, cafeteria, lots of perks (game room, sounders tickets, Orca card, sample sales, discounts, etc), fast and creative environment. -Opportunity to own your business with minimal interference. Ability to try, fail and regroup quickly and with minimal interference.

Cons

-Toxic culture in the merch dept. Upper mgmt act like a sorority, with many buyers following suit. Creates a high school environment full of gossip and drama. -buyer role is inherently competetive, where another category will run your category because they have a relationship with the vendor. Instill the value of winning as a team, and you will undoubtedly see more success. - Little work-life balance. With events going live daily, you never have a 24 hr period of not logging on, even when on PTO

10 people found this review helpful
    8. Zulily - Corporate | Division of Zulily
      1.0

Zulily: Not even once

Apr 30, 2020 - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Waterfront location, Sounders tickets, work/life balance

Cons

No one at Zulily cares. There are no code reviews, no design docs, no tests, no best practices. All management cares about is having a feature out when promised, doesn't matter if it's riddled with bugs. In my first couple weeks as a level one engineer, I was able to push changes directly to master without anyone batting an eye. I've seen interns break things in production multiple times due to the lack of guardrails. The leveling system is meaningless. There's plenty of nepotism. We were very used to rolling our eyes at the promotion announcement emails. When I gave notice that I was leaving, my manager asked if making me a senior would change my mind (I had less than three years of experience). As soon as I switched companies, I realized how much of a mistake it was to stay as long as I did. I am working nonstop to unlearn the bad practices and unhealthy mentality towards work that Zulily instilled.

9 people found this review helpful
    9. Zulily - Corporate | Division of Zulily
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great people, Agile Work Environment, but Need improvement in management

May 13, 2020 - Assistant Buyer in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Love my team, my great mentor; great office view; allow to work from home

Cons

- Hard to get promoted - Work Life Balance is a challenge, depend which department you are on - Need improvement in pay and benefits - A little lost on where the company stands and headed

10. Zulily - Corporate | Division of Zulily
      2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Heavy office politics ruined fun work environment.

Aug 20, 2020 - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work life balance. Interesting project to work on.

Cons

Heavy office politics, and too much nepotism.

4 people found this review helpful