Zumiez Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Zumiez President, CEO, and Director Richard M. Brooks
Richard M. Brooks

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Decent money, laid back you can wear whatever (in 44 reviews)

• Great work environment, flexible scheduling (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Insultingly low pay for the amount of work and stress the job entails (in 42 reviews)

• no place is perfect obviously and retail in general makes finding work/life balance rough but if you get retail then you'll be just fine (in 15 reviews)

1. "Not a good job AT ALL!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Redondo Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Redondo Beach, CA

I worked at Zumiez (Less than a year)

Pros

Very lenient and chill job
    Good if you're a lazy person

Cons

The pay sucks
    You get paid commission + hourly but its hard to get commission if you don't get any big sales
    I received 2-6 ours for my first month

Advice to Management

Assign more hours to the workers.

"Bad."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Zumiez part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed environment. People can be friendly and don't mind cutting some slack for people having trouble.

Cons

People are too relaxed, other employees are not held accountable for their mistakes. Work can be like favorites game.

Advice to Management

Hold employees accountable, don't play favorites.

"HR/DM"

Current Employee - PT Sales Associate
    Current Employee - PT Sales Associate

I have been working at Zumiez part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good co-workers and my supervisors cared for us as workers

Cons

I had just witness a DM come into a store and not happy with the look. Said some unprofessional things to the ASM and asked him to get his/her keys and give it to him. Basically, he just terminated that management on the spot. Is that appropriate without consent from HR ? For the DM to come in with such disrespect when it should be done professionally. The SM wasn't there and shame that a SM would let his team down like that even if the ASM picked up the slack knowing this will fall on the team is shameful. Seems like the team had no confidence to reach out to the the someone or DM is a shame. For that DM not have anything to say or shake their hand is disrespectful in my opinion. HR is suppose to be there to protect the employees from being mistreated in any shape or form. Working for this company, I feel that I must be careful of my every steps after seeing what can be done.

Advice to Management

Note everyone is replaceable and it's about a paycheck not who works for them.

4. "Fun but not worth it"

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Zumiez part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A very relaxed and fun retail environment. You can really wear what you want and don't even get a name badge. I'd say it's really a good first job for a high schooler. Not many hours so it's flexible and the customer base is mild compared to working at other retailers.

Cons

Low pay and no hours. I worked for the company for a very short time - but I had taken the job as a second job the summer before my senior year of college to make a little extra money. I was hired immediately and was promised training at a further location for a week or two and then would transfer to a much closer location. Not to my surprise that never happened, and it didn't take long to realize how pointless it was for me in my situation. Of all of the "call in" shifts I had (which make no sense imo) I never worked one and I can't tell you how many times I'd make the drive there to only work an hour or two and let go early because it wasn't busy enough. It was a waste of my time.

Advice to Management

Try to hire people into management who either have management experience prior or who have at least worked with the company for a year. I had a terrible AGM who had barely worked 6 months with the company with little experience and was rather lazy. I had to ASK how to do things rather than get proper training. The general manager however was great but underpaid and worked 10-20+ off the clock to try and get things done. Sad.

5. "Nope"

I worked at Zumiez part-time

Pros

Excellent chill people and great environment.

Cons

Not an excellent place to earn some cash for most managers or veteran employees will take your incentive.

"Cool music to work to, that's it"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Zumiez part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Vans, none, nope, scam, pathetic

Cons

Under paid, promoting "cool" people over qualified people, never the same schedule, expected to work whatever but never getting the exact days you requested off because the manager wants to go out and paid and go to edm shows every week.

Advice to Management

Pay more and you'll get better managers and not bums who moved up from part time and wear vans as their only qualification.

7. "Horrid"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Zumiez part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Laid back work environment, cool people. They had an aux cord to play our own music which was nice when we didn't have a lot to do which was usually always.

Cons

Very unprofessional, constantly have to sell to people basically jump down there throat just to get a sale. Very unorganized management team and stealing problem that only you can stop without help. Basically run by young people who think just since their in charge they can be the big boss. Would never recommend. Low pay as well as almost 0 hours unless it's holiday

Advice to Management

Make it more professional and don't just make anyone a manager

"Job sucks"

Pros

Pay was ok. My sales crew was fun to be around.

Cons

Upper management sucks. Their goals are unrealistic and ask of you a biggillion thing in a matter of a hour. They have the dumbest rules know to man.

Advice to Management

Chill the hell out and stop stalking customers

"Find another job that will appreciate you."

Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Zumiez full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You meet some good people and that is the only good part. insurance benefits are good too.

Cons

If you want to work for a company that looks down on you fo wanting to further your life and/or career by either going to school, having another job, etc, then this is the job for you. Horrible pay, company is all politics and about who you are buddy buddy with, and they think giving you a 3 day trip to Colorado once a year is enough motivation and makes up for how little they pay you. & they wonder why their turnover rate is so high.

Advice to Management

Promote within, not every inexperienced person you end up hiring, appreciate your employees more (they work way too hard for the amount you pay them and do the jobs or 5+ positions). People have bills to pay and families to feed and you're paying them like their still 15 years old and living with their parents. Impossible to live without worry off a Zumiez paycheck.

"Seasonal worker"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Corona, CA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Corona, CA

I worked at Zumiez part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hours, people working there, pretty chill breaks and the fans.

Cons

No Training, just throwing you in and expecting you to catch up during the rush. when they let you go THEY WONT PAY YOU ON THE LAST DAY AND YOU WILL HAVE TO WAIT 2 WEEKS + FOR IT.

Advice to Management

Speak the truth, let us know that you can not find pay cards and not constantly telling us to come in every other day.