Zumiez Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Zumiez President, CEO, and Director Richard M. Brooks
Richard M. Brooks

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Zumiez was one of the easiest most laid-back jobs that I ever had (in 44 reviews)

• Exciting and energetic work environment with many opportunities for growth (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Insultingly low pay for the amount of work and stress the job entails (in 43 reviews)

• no place is perfect obviously and retail in general makes finding work/life balance rough but if you get retail then you'll be just fine (in 16 reviews)

1. "i loved working for Zumiez"

Former Employee - Second Assistant in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Second Assistant in San Jose, CA

Pros

the best reasons to work for Zumiez, is that the company is all about growth. you are incharge of your own salary and it is all up to you to get promoted.

Cons

the hours are tough because there is always things that need to be fixed or changed. working in a high volume was particulary difficult du to late nights.

Advice to Management

Zumiez is an amazing company. i feel so honored to have the opportunity to work for Zumiez. i walked away with a lot of useful tools to better myself and my career.

"great experience"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Westminster, CO

Pros

met most of my closest friends there.
    discount
    trips
    training
    GREAT district manager
    mgmt saw potential in me and promoted me

Cons

holiday sucks
    constantly dealing with shoplifters

Advice to Management

make it easier for employees at the store level to move up to home office positions.

3. "Funnest company to work for in the retail industry by far!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

The people you work with are AWESOME! We have a ton of fun, nothing is taken too seriously, get to listen to our own music and have a good time. Zumiez offers a ton of contests where you can win giftcards, prizes and trips! Opportunity to be promoted in the company is there for anyone who is willing to take the challenge.

Cons

It is exhausting to be in a high pressure selling environment for long periods of time. Sometimes I get very tired of talking to people.

Advice to Management

Keep being awesome! Don't be too by the book.

4. "Amazing retail experience"

Former Employee - Second Assistant in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Second Assistant in Anchorage, AK

Pros

great opportunities to move up if you're motivated
    great benefits and perks
    "100K" Zumiez's President's Club
    fun corporate culture

Cons

Honestly anyone who is complaining on this site about this company is clearly someone who doesn't like to work hard or work retail. I will admit they expect a lot from their employees but you would find that at any retail corporation. Hours and schedules can be difficult but again part of what to expect when you're working retail.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

5. "Great company to develop and succeed!"

Current Employee - Management in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Management in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Zumiez full-time

Pros

Skill training and development
    Support to succeed
    Open Communication

Cons

It is what you make of it so the downside is only if you make one

6. "Z-Life"

Former Employee - Store Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Zumiez full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a people first company. There is a lot of opportunity to grow with the company. This is by far the best company I ever worked for. It's fun, fast paced, and competitive.

Cons

In order to be successful with this company you have to make it your whole life. Working for Zumiez is a lifestyle. They don't pay as well as other retail companies, but they make up for it with all the rewards that come with the job and the fact that they put their employees first. If you don't want your job to be your whole life and who you are, then this isn't the job for you.

Advice to Management

Keep taking care of your people. If you have the extra money to spare, put it towards paying your employees a little better or more raises. Keep moving forward and investing in the technologies you have been using with online in store sales and inventory reporting. These are DEFINATELY sales drivers bc it allows your sales people to truly give the best customer service.

"One of the best jobs"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Salem, NH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Salem, NH

I have been working at Zumiez part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun and friendly staff
    relaxed
    you want to work hard
    i feel excited to go to work
     commission!
    Hard work is noted
    supportive staff
    staff outings

Cons

minimum pay
    ladders are a pain if there is no room for the shoes in the back room
    always changing store set up

Advice to Management

If a hard working employee messes up totally by accident do not rail on them. this happen to me at zumiez once and then once at my other job. my zumiez manager handled it so well by making sure i knew it wasn't the end of the world (i hate messing up, almost cried)and it was not a big deal. she made me feel more at ease. sometimes you just miss a beat and the people i work with at zumiez understand. that experience made me appreciate my zumiez manager so much more and i have learned from that and i make sure i do not repeat my mistake. understanding your employees is a HUGE thing. you need to listen to them and never be afraid to talk to them. i have so much respect for my managers because they are calm and very understanding. there is a right and a wrong way of handling things. know your employees and you will learn what path to take.

"Fun, low pay, gotta self motivate"

Current Employee - First Assistant in Concord, CA
    Current Employee - First Assistant in Concord, CA

I have been working at Zumiez full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Typically relaxed environment. Make good connections within the community and through the company. Great interaction with reps from brands and free stuff is always fun

Cons

Low pay, high expectations but what's not like that in America or in a capitalist society? Very little to no advancement opportunities contrary to popular belief, and if they do arise, they are more often than not, extremely far. Management is typically sparse, a lot of pointers and taskmasters but very little leading by example

Advice to Management

Take pride in working with your employees, don't underrate/underpay us. This is a big lead into our all over turnover rate. Get some defined structure and allow us interaction with what goes into the store, we have a good idea of what will sell. Stop being a sellout

9. "Fun and exciting environment with a disappointing payday."

Former Employee - First Assistant Manager in Bolingbrook, IL
    Former Employee - First Assistant Manager in Bolingbrook, IL

I worked at Zumiez full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The environment is so exciting, and culture is very unique. Once you start working you are immediately part of a family. There are one of a kind company trips and events you are invited to. At work the environment is laid back and relationship with management is very open. An added bonus is being allowed to play whatever music you want over the speakers at work. I also don't know too many companies where you get to meet the CEO and they hangout at events.

Cons

For as much as they really do appreciate their employees, it's not reflected in salaries. The base plus commission salary may be fair for sales associates and key-holders, but it does not compensate well with the work management does.

Advice to Management

Continue supporting the culture and open environment.

10. "It's Amazing Fun!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Zumiez part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome Management, Fun Environment, and Cool Perks.

Cons

There's a lot of information you have to retain.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.