Zumiez Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Zumiez President, CEO, and Director Richard M. Brooks
Richard M. Brooks

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Zumiez was one of the easiest most laid-back jobs that I ever had (in 44 reviews)

• Exciting and energetic work environment with many opportunities for growth (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Insultingly low pay for the amount of work and stress the job entails (in 43 reviews)

• no place is perfect obviously and retail in general makes finding work/life balance rough but if you get retail then you'll be just fine (in 16 reviews)

"horriblen"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Montclair, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Montclair, CA

Pros

No Pro's it was a horrible job. I was on call and when i actually did have the chance to work, they wanted me to come in from 10pm- 2 am... yes... to work on displays... it was horrible having to go to work so late especially because i was trying to finish up college!!

Cons

Advice to Management

They need to consider the "availability" of their sales associates. "On call" is a horrible way to hire someone...its unfair, especailly to a full-time college student who needs a set schedule...

"All surface BS on their culture and the most disorganized retail environment I have ever experienced."

Former Employee - Manager in Danbury, CT
    Former Employee - Manager in Danbury, CT

Pros

Cool merchandise, relaxed atmosphere. I am a veteran in the action sports industry and that's what they embrace.

Cons

Loud, cluttered, under staffed and located in a mall.

Advice to Management

Staff your stores heavier, increase security, pay better and scruntinize your regional managers a little closer.

"Completely devoid of any and all class."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

Pros

Great discount for store managers
    Play your own music
    Dress Code

Cons

Pay
    Favoritism
    DM's need some serious coaching and development
    open bar at company events leads to unprofessional ism
    Absolutely no HR department
    No Loss Prevention
    Unrealistic sales goals
    no training program
    My first day of work I was thrown into a store during tax free weekend with zero training with a seasoned store manager... with any manager really. Then I had to run my own inventory the next week. Did we even have a DM? Then when the DM finally shows his face it was a blast session about how I did not train myself or know basic store operations. That is very poor retail in my opinion.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people. Train them before throwing them into a store. Coach and develop. Look into your DM's before making a un experienced toddler run 8 stores.

"My store is just a joke."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Altamonte Springs, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Altamonte Springs, FL

Pros

Laid back, easy going most of the time, customers are usually nice, and most of the staff is pretty nice.

Cons

The pay is garbage, the management is completely under qualified and more interested in texting than anything else. You have to know the right people to advance otherwise you will be in the same position forever. They seem to move very poor employees to higher positions or hire people into positions they are not qualified for.

Advice to Management

Get a little more involved with what is going on, make sure your employees are happy and the management staff knows what they're doing. The bare minimum should not be 100% acceptable for leadership.

5. "Great if your whole life revolves around work"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Hartford, CT

I worked at Zumiez full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-50% discount for store managers (which was nice with such low pay)
    -100k event for top 1,000 employees
    -easy work
    -play your own music

Cons

-awful pay
    -impossible sales goals ($2,000 before noon, while only an average of six customers had even stepped inside. My store was between a Pac Sun and Hot Topic, and we were expected to stand outside and yell at people to get them to shop at Zumiez instead. Ten year olds with $5 in their pockets were pressured to beg their parents for more money.)
    -demanding management (again, impossible sales goals. Working every weekend and night. 40 hour weeks were just a suggestion)
    -work consumes life
    -forced to over-work your sales associates who are making an equally low pay rate

Advice to Management

If employees were paid more, they would actually care about work! Train store managers better and don't threaten them.

6. "It was horrible."

Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Arlington, TX

I worked at Zumiez part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You could network at the right locations, but those are few and far between.

Cons

Low pay, bad benefits, and no sense of accountability.

Advice to Management

Spend more time on your in-store management (training, development, etc.). More corporate exposure shows you actually care about the people that are making your salary.

7. "Sales associate"

I worked at Zumiez part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co workers are always fun to work with

Cons

Very few hours, they hire new "sales kids" all the time, and no room to grow if you're not a favorite.

Advice to Management

Grow up

8. "Horrible to work for"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO

I worked at Zumiez part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good for a summer job but not recommended for a long term job

Cons

There was no communication between upper and lower management, so nobody ever knew what was going on. Even the discounts sucked. Their system for commission 'motivation' is a complete fluke and they don't hold their managers to a standard at all. They act entitled and can't be bothered with "lesser work". Pitiful.

Advice to Management

Care more about the diversity of your employees and work in your communication skills

9. "Worked for Zumiez for over a year HORRIBLE company"

Former Employee - First Assistant Manager in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - First Assistant Manager in Richmond, VA

I worked at Zumiez full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For keyholders 100k is an awesome reward for the hard work. That's about it.

Cons

The people that they hire are complete idiots. The only thing upper management cares about is you're stats. It does not matter how hard you work for them if you're stats are not high. 100k is basically unreachable for sales associates. I personally had to fire nearly 10 really good employees just because they did not sell enough or they "didn't have a good attitude"
    I also worked in a store that for the entire year I worked we were unknowingly overloading our fuse box, only because HQ was to lazy to change over the box when they made it a Zumiez.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring complete idiots. Start drug testing upper management. Start listening to employees complaints.

10. "Not worth the time"

Current Employee - Sales Person in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Person in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Zumiez part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discount, relaxed atmosphere, the people

Cons

No hours, unrealistic sales goals, bad pay, have to nag customers constantly

Advice to Management

Teach your store managers how to train their employees. Also stop putting so much emphasis on pressuring and nagging customers into buying more than they want, and stop making everyone shove iPods at the customers and tell them to sign up for the rewards program.