Zumiez Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 27, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay, little opportunity to move up (in 42 reviews)

• no place is perfect obviously and retail in general makes finding work/life balance rough but if you get retail then you'll be just fine (in 15 reviews)

1. "A Good Company to Grow"

Current Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Altamonte Springs, FL
    Current Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Altamonte Springs, FL

I have been working at Zumiez full-time

Pros

Awesome people, awesome employees, great way for young people to build through a company

Cons

rate of pay compared to the same position at some other stores falls a little low

Advice to Management

relax, have fun, and grow

2. "Zumiez"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Zumiez full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company really cares about their people. The best culture. Its fun, keeps you busy, always changing.

Cons

The pay isnt the best, you are often paid in culture. Meaning fun experiences, traveling for meetings and free stuff.

3. "2nd Assistant Manager"

I worked at Zumiez part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Chill and positive environment, get to talk to cool people.

Cons

Aggressive sales position. paid too little for the hard work we do.

4. "Great for young people"

Current Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Logan, UT
    Current Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Logan, UT

I have been working at Zumiez full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is an incredibly fun work environment with plenty of incentives and great upper management. The day to day operations are simple and straight forward as compared to other retail companies. I came from a competitor of Zumiez after being a store manager for two years and I can tell you that there is a night and day difference in the happiness of the employees as Zumiez compared to my previous company. This is one of the only large retail companies that takes their employees' well being into account. I have been treated extremely well and would recommend this job to anybody who wants something fun but doesn't need to make a lot of money.

Cons

Hours are used very sparingly in low volume stores. Being third in command, I typically get whatever hours are not used by the store manager and first assistant manager. It is hard to live off of 25-30 hours a week and the hours are so random that it is hard to coordinate another job with this one. There is also limited opportunity for promotions unless you live in an area where there are several locations within a small radius. Many store managers have been there for several years and don't want to move anywhere so their management team is fairly static which can ruin people's motivation to get a promotion.

Advice to Management

Keep an open line of communication with employees besides store managers. I have brought several years of retail management experience into the store that I'm currently in but I have had no more than a couple small interactions with my district manager. You could bring a lot of culture and sales experience into your stores if you kept in mind that there are other managers besides just the store managers. I wish that my previous experience could have been put to better use than it currently is. I went from being a store manager who has been recognized companywide for my achievements (at my previous company) to a second assistant manager who is seldom used to the fullness of my ability.

5. "Good place for first job"

I worked at Zumiez part-time

Pros

Good sales experience, friendly co-workers.

Cons

Hours are very hard to come by.

Advice to Management

Try to give your sales reps respectable hours.

6. "Zoomees"

I worked at Zumiez part-time (More than a year)

Pros

discount fun people cool environment

Cons

sales associate pay is, low manager(s) pay way higher, not a lot of hours unless you're employed around holiday seasons starting around May so that way when back to school arrives by than you should be familiar with how the store works. After black Friday/xmas expect to have basically no hours unless you're a manager.

Advice to Management

Need more hours giving to associates

"Fun, but challenging."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Greeley, CO
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Greeley, CO

I have been working at Zumiez full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a store manager you are able to establish culture and environment that is cultivated by you and your in store leadership team, this is awesome and really gives the team the freedom to create the environment they want to work in. There is a lot of freedom within merchandising which allows for a vast amount of creativity. As a leader you are given the opportunity travel and be exposed to a variety of teaching and leadership styles which can greatly impact your ability to teach and lead in a positive way. The leadership training provided by Zumiez, especially once you become a store manager, is second to none. Full time staff receieve decent quality health coverage and other benefits.

Cons

The expectations for the store leadership team are incredibly high. This creates an environment where, as a store manager, you are working 50+ hours weekly on your salary wage. The cultural, environmental, and especially the merchandising freedoms, although awesome, lack a great deal of structure which can create a lot of stress and inconsistency. Prioritization of their employees needs and wants on an upper management level (district manager level on up to corporate) is incredibly low. This seems to be a driving force behind high turnover throughout the store level teams.

Advice to Management

Listen to your store teams' needs and wants. Stop cutting corners and recognize them for their hard, nonstop work and elevated commitment through competitive wages instead of free stuff gimmicks.

8. "Amazing!"

I have been working at Zumiez part-time

Pros

Benefits and very flexible schedules.

Cons

NONE AT ALL! Such a great place.

9. "Bad company"

Pros

Got to try out skateboarding gear at work
    Easy tasks
    Discounts in store
    Commission bonus

Cons

Management setting unreasonable sales goals
    Minimum wage
    Way of training new employees

10. "SELL SELL SELL"

I worked at Zumiez part-time

Pros

It is a job that pays

Cons

It is a job that pays little for the amount they want you to sell

Advice to Management

nothing to management