Zumiez Reviews | Glassdoor

Zumiez Reviews

Updated December 12, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Zumiez was one of the easiest most laid-back jobs that I ever had (in 45 reviews)

• Exciting and energetic work environment with many opportunities for growth (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Insultingly low pay for the amount of work and stress the job entails (in 47 reviews)

• Poor work-life balance, lean structure makes for long days/weeks in order to keep up (in 17 reviews)

1. "Zumiez is a great job while in school"

Former Employee - Lead Sales in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Sales in Torrance, CA

I worked at Zumiez part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discounts on Zumiez brands were 50% and other brands were 25%. If you were EOP (employee of the month/period) everything in the store was half off.

Cons

It’s like a shark tank. It’s based on hourly + commission so everyone is out to get each other and steal sales at times

"Sales Associate"

I worked at Zumiez part-time

Pros

Chill environment
    Awesome Coworkers
    Employee discounts
    Building new friendships
    Decent pay

Cons

Although it was a chill environment, management were not so friendly. Also there wasn't no real training for newcomers. Once you got the job they kinda expected you to go around the sales floor and start selling their merchandise and/or expected you to know how to use the cash register. Overall it was a "meh" experience working there.

Advice to Management

Train your newcomers!!!!

3. "Best company ever"

Current Employee - Second ASM
    Current Employee - Second ASM

I have been working at Zumiez (More than a year)

Pros

rewarding
    really cares about employees
    lots of room for growth

Cons

expected to do a lot

Advice to Management

n/a

4. "Awesome Company, Passionate Employees, Great Culture"

I have been working at Zumiez full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's all about the Zumiez lifestyle and providing a unique and fun customer experience. Exciting and energetic work environment with many opportunities for growth!

Cons

Pay is on the lower side compared to other retail companies, but there are company events throughout the year and other perks that make up for it.

5. "Great company but it will take over your life, and not in a good way"

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Zumiez full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Cultural Values, Some good people, Awesome CEO and President.

Cons

It was a good company until my DM expected me to work 50+ hours a week and still would get mad at me and write me up for not working enough. The cultural values are awesome, until you learn not all management actually follows what they preach and really you are almost completely on your own with minimal training while being promoted. I really did love this company and still love what it stands for from its CEO and Presidents standpoint, but I would definitely never want to have anyone I know go through what I went through. Being promised a lot without actually seeing much. Also, the pay is pretty horrendous, they defend it with awesome events but awesome events don’t pay rent, or allow you to actually have some sort of personal life.

Advice to Management

Make sure you see who is managing people. You have lost many people that could have done amazing things because you don’t get payed but how much work you put in or what kind of changes you make to the store other than if you run up on cycle, which is not always possible, if you are in a dying mall (like so many of the malls these days). I guess my main thing would be make sure your upper management is actually training people and not so caught up in upper management stuff, and that you make sure they are not taking advantage of employees.

6. "sales"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Allen, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Allen, TX

I worked at Zumiez part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

inviting environment and good customer relations

Cons

they payed very poor, minimum wage

7. "2nd Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Second Assistant Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Zumiez part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can wear what you want.
    Discount.
    Laidback company

Cons

Unorganized.
    Pay isn't that good when compared to how much money they are making off of you (Obvi)
    It's retail so hours fluctuate. Having another job is necessary but you must also consider that you will be on call.

After leaving the company it was difficult to get my information for my taxes.

Advice to Management

Pay more to managers and guarantee them Full-time hours, pay and benefits. If you can not afford to pay more than 2 managers than you need to reevaluate your structure.
    Store Manager went to many different fun Zumiez events and expect all other employees to be excited about meeting goals. Give better opportunities to ALL employees to go on trips.

8. "Assistant manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Edina, MN
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Edina, MN

I worked at Zumiez part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can wear almost anything relaxed.
    Trained managers a lot
    Bonuses on sales available

Cons

Pestered managers about trainings a lot
    Management
    Asking consumers for their life story trying to make small talk was unnatural often
    High theft rate
    Awful, awful pay
    Not a lot of hours available
    Other employees would often be on call just in case it got busy.
    No where to get promoted to unless it was another store

Advice to Management

Restructure
    Figure out what is working and what's not, Quickly.

9. "Needs to restructure."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Zumiez full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Customers were awesome. Lots of brands. New product every week. House brands are decent quality. Company trips. Great team environment. Great co workers.

Cons

Pay. Too long of a sales structure to learn. Not enough payroll. Upper management not consistent with leadership style. Did not receive any training. High expectations. High external theft. No support from upper management. You have to be a store manager for years before you’re even considered for a promotion. Company events are great but it’s a waste of money. They should invest in their people more than blowing millions on parties.

Advice to Management

Micromanagement

10. "Cool place for younger work"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Zumiez full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Had a great time working here; met a lot of cool people and got to do something I was good at but that was constantly evolving. Had a lot of opportunities to move up and expand and even got to experience some cool events that Zumiez put together. Work hard here and you will be rewarded.

Cons

It can be a little bit stressful to perform well, nothing unbearable